PDA

View Full Version : The Office - The Ultimate Poll

jrinck
01-30-2006, 03:28 PM
Prefer the British, or American version?

Read the poll options carefully!

DevdogAZ
01-30-2006, 03:31 PM
What if you've only seen one version? I've only seen the American version and have loved it since the pilot. I'm sure I would like the BBC version too, but I don't get BBC America and haven't bothered to rent them.

jrinck
01-30-2006, 03:35 PM
I guess if you haven't seen the British version at all, and you like the American version, then option 1 should apply as written. If you haven't seen the British version, then you can't prefer it.

Lee L
01-30-2006, 04:14 PM
I liek the British show just barely more. Hardly even enough to even note. It truly is almost equal for me. I saw the British show first and made a point to watch the American because I knew they used Ricky Gervais as a consultant.

pdhenry
01-30-2006, 05:46 PM
The British version is classically British - which is to say, bleak.

The American version began with more broad humor - the boss was more of a buffoon instead of being an emotional assassin - and now is beginning to slide toward trying to make us care more about the relationships than with the sheer hell of work.

dtivouser
01-30-2006, 05:51 PM
I definitely preferred the British version. Lately, though, the American version has been growing on me. Honestly, they are now two different shows each with their own merits.

MickeS
01-30-2006, 05:57 PM
I chose #1. I had seen one episode of the British otiginal before I saw the US version, and I didn't think the British was all that funny at that point. I "got it", but it was just too depressing to really make me laugh.

I find the American season 1 to be on par with the British. Not until they got their own style did they become truly funny, IMO.

I just watched the entire British original last week, and while it was very funny, it was still too depressing to me to be as entertaining as the US version. David Brent is a mean, shallow, petty, tragic, despicable excuse for a human being, and it's hard for me to get past that. I mostly felt like I wanted to punch him in the face. :)

Michael Scott is a big jerk too, but Carell has infused him with a slight goofy likeability, that makes him a tad more bearable than his British counterpart.

The rest of the cast is about the same to me. Although Dwight is IMO much funnier than Gareth.

Spire
01-30-2006, 05:59 PM
I guess if you haven't seen the British version at all, and you like the American version, then option 1 should apply as written.It's your poll, but I disagree. If you haven't seen both versions, then you can't have a preference at all.

MickeS
01-30-2006, 06:14 PM
What if you've only seen one version?
If you've only seen one version, why should you even participate in the poll, since it's about which version is best? :confused:

Dromomaniac
01-30-2006, 08:53 PM
I like them about equally.

Overall, I probably enjoy the American one a little more, only because it is more culturally topical to me, and I can relate to the characters. I like the direction the American series has taken, in developing the characters' backstories a little more.

On the other hand, as much as I like Steve Carell and think he's perfect for his role in the Americanization of the series, there is something absolutely hilarious about Ricky Gervais, and the understated patheticism he brings to his role. He tries so hard to sound "cool" and just ends up being transparently pitiful. I really like his confessions in the British series; pure genius!

The entire British series is slightly more low-key and understated. The American version sometimes has an "in your face" attitude; it needs to remember that less is more.

Magnolia88
01-30-2006, 10:13 PM
On the other hand, as much as I like Steve Carell and think he's perfect for his role in the Americanization of the series, there is something absolutely hilarious about Ricky Gervais, and the understated patheticism he brings to his role. He tries so hard to sound "cool" and just ends up being transparently pitiful. I really like his confessions in the British series; pure genius!

I agree with this. Steve Carell is great, and the entire cast in the American version is fantastic, but Ricky Gervais as David Brent was really something else altogether. I have never been as amused, fascinated and horrified as I was by Brent. He's pretty unique and Gervais was hilarious perfection in the role.

I still have to give the slight edge to the British version, because it had such a short run that it's practically perfect imho. But I'm enjoying the American version a lot and it's continued to get better and better. It's made me almost forget about the British version, and that's saying a lot. I think the British version is perhaps the single funniest show I've ever seen. The "training" episode when David brings out his guitar still makes me laugh more than almost anything else I can think of.

Hoffer
01-30-2006, 10:46 PM
I loved the British version. At first I didn't like the American version. As time has gone by, I have a hard time remembering the British characters. Ricky Gervais is really hard to replace. I prefer him over Steve Carell. Carell has really developed a great psychotic manager as well though.

I voted I like the American version more, but they are both great.

jstr
01-30-2006, 10:55 PM
I wonder if the British have the opportunity to see the American version.

jradford
01-31-2006, 12:23 AM
At this point, this question is like asking "Do you like Arrested Development or The Office U.S. more."

Yes, the American version is a direct spinoff of the UK one, but at this point, they are TOTALLY different shows. Similar plots, totally different shows.

I voted for "equal," just to vote, but they stand so seperately on their own that I don't like the poll question anymore.

Dignan
01-31-2006, 01:51 AM
I think last season, when they were doing similar scripts and everyone was getting used to the new American versions of their British counterparts that this would be a valid poll. With the second season they have moved on and it's more "inspired by" The Office. That said, I think that the first season of The Office (US) was inferior to the The Office (UK), but the second season of The Offfce (US) is starting to surpass it.

markymark_ctown
01-31-2006, 07:59 AM
we just netflixed the first season of the bbc version. we watched one episode and sent it back. And this is coming from someone who thinks the Americanized "Office" is the best show on tv. :rolleyes:

For me, the British version is hard to understand...i guess i just don't get British humor. i would like to thank Ricky Gervais for creating such a great show though! :up:

Frylock
01-31-2006, 09:30 AM
I like the American version a little better, but I think the british version is still good. The American version feels more like an extended series, while the british version felt shorter and didn't have the same type of connection. I like the changes that have been made with this version, such as the cameraman having more of a personality.

The two definately are different. I'm impressed with how well they were able to take a pretty british-humor based show and made it Americanized.

Now if only they made Mr. Bean an american program! Oh wait. They did with that terrible movie he did. Never mind.

jradford
01-31-2006, 10:31 AM
we just netflixed the first season of the bbc version. we watched one episode and sent it back. And this is coming from someone who thinks the Americanized "Office" is the best show on tv. :rolleyes:

For me, the British version is hard to understand...i guess i just don't get British humor. i would like to thank Ricky Gervais for creating such a great show though! :up:
I used closed captions through the whole series. By the 6th episode, you don't really need them that much, but they still help.

JakeyB
01-31-2006, 10:39 AM
I used closed captions through the whole series. By the 6th episode, you don't really need them that much, but they still help.
My wife and I did the same. There will still be some cultural references you won't get, but really you should give it more than 1 episode. I voted them equal, I love them both.

Jeeters
01-31-2006, 01:12 PM
If you've only seen one version, why should you even participate in the poll, since it's about which version is best? :confused:Agreed, but then I wouldn't have titled this an 'ultimate poll' since it's not really covering all the bases. :confused:

For me, I've never seen the Brit version. Have caught the American version only a few times. Don't really care for it. I like and can laugh at the various personalities in the show since they remind me of certain people in *my* office. But Steve Carrel's character is way too over the top for me. I'm a fan of him since his Daily SHow days, but don't like him in this show one bit and he ruins it for me. His character turns what could be a funny satire on real-world office life into a just an unfunny cartoon with less realism than Dilbert. :down:

MickeS
01-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Wow, I wonder how you'd like David Brent... Michael Scott seems very realistic compared to him, IMO. :)

CharlieW
01-31-2006, 01:39 PM
I give a slight edge to the British version, but love them both.

The British version was a much darker humor, at times painful to watch. There were moments of silence in the British version that literally made you squirm in your seat because of the uncomfortable situations created by Gervais' character, David Brent.

Carell plays the part much more over-the-top. Gervais was just a sad, pathetic man.

Overall, I'm very, very impressed by the American version and how the scripts have remained funny, edgy and how they are developing all of the characters. Great show! :up:

cableguy
02-06-2006, 08:26 PM
They really are incomparable IMO. Both great in their own ways.

But I much prefer the Brit version because Gervais is a genius. The detail in his portrayal is remarkably deep. The creepy way that is makes you feel is ultimate humor in my book.

5thcrewman
02-06-2006, 09:24 PM
I haven't seen 'Mr. Bean' or 'Blackadder' and I can tell you I don't like Rowan Atkinson! :p

"You're saying that something which you have never seen is slightly less blue than something else which you have never seen? "

classicsat
02-06-2006, 09:56 PM
I like Atkinson, in Blackadder like roles.

I haven't seen the UK Office series yet.

Although I prefer the UK version of Coupling.

JYoung
02-06-2006, 11:04 PM
But Steve Carrel's character is way too over the top for me. I'm a fan of him since his Daily SHow days, but don't like him in this show one bit and he ruins it for me. His character turns what could be a funny satire on real-world office life into a just an unfunny cartoon with less realism than Dilbert. :down:

I've known Sales Managers like Michael Scott (although not that over the top).
In fact, one in particular liked to drive the forklift around in the warehouse (preferbly, with female clients).