PDA

View Full Version : Simpsons 1/29/06 (Spoilers)

doom1701
01-30-2006, 11:04 AM
We rarely ever watch new Simpson's episodes anymore. And when we do, we usually regret it. Last night was no exception.

After a lousy couch gag (which ran way too long--a sign of things to come), we get a decent little opening bit, which quickly deteriorates into an absolutely terrible show. Yet again, we get to see two or three gags that are done for WAY too long--Bart pushing the car back down onto the road while it teeters over the cliff was kinda funny the first time--after the 10th we were ashamed we hadn't turned it off. And ending it with Lisa and Maggie being the only ones left at home, and Lisa giving that heart wrenching "I guess I'll go find a job tomorrow" line? You never end an episode of a sitcom with the viewers feeling sad--sure they might have been going for a joke, but they didn't pull it off...

That'll teach us to watch any new Simpsons ever again...

bidger
01-30-2006, 11:09 AM
I've adjusted my expectations of new Simpsons eps and I didn't think this one was bad at all. I enjoyed the sight gag of Homer driving through the clover leaf saying, "I bet this looks cool from overhead".

doom1701
01-30-2006, 11:17 AM
I've adjusted my expectations of new Simpsons eps and I didn't think this one was bad at all. I enjoyed the sight gag of Homer driving through the clover leaf saying, "I bet this looks cool from overhead".

That was funny, but like most of the other gags on the episode, it went on WAY too long. Unfortunately, I see this on a lot of comedy these days--TV and Movies (and what little standup I ever see, as well). Take something that actually gets a laugh, and just repeat it over and over again until people are absolutely sick of it.

NoThru22
01-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Running the gag so long it becomes uncomfortable but then back to funny works on Family Guy but it just seems so out of place on the Simpsons.

Sparty99
01-30-2006, 12:06 PM
The line at the end where Lisa was listening to the messages and Homer calls from the Nevada state pen and says, "Oh, and I don't know where Bart is. If you see him, tell him I said hi," had me laughing out loud. The rest of the show sucked.

mrpantstm
01-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Yet again, we get to see two or three gags that are done for WAY too long--Bart pushing the car back down onto the road while it teeters over the cliff was kinda funny the first time

definitly agree. I was like, yes we get it, get on with it.

It started out with potential but turned into meh.

canyonero!
01-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Running the gag so long it becomes uncomfortable but then back to funny works on Family Guy but it just seems so out of place on the Simpsons.
That was my exact thought when Ned was singing that song for such a long time.

sschwart
01-30-2006, 01:39 PM

Of course, running the gag so long it becomes uncomfortable was being done on the Simpsons before Family Guy. I refer you to the Simpsons episode (hold please, looking up info..) "Two dozen and one greyhounds", and Homer trying to eat the pork rinds. They had the entire bag eaten by those puppies.. one at a time. And that was season 2 of the simpsons... Well before FG started.

dtivouser
01-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Well it had it's moments. Homer destroying the "Birthplace of Matt Groenig" made me laugh. I guess we now know that Springfield is not in Oregon, which fans of the show have always suspected. I think it has to be Illinois now, right? I also give mad props for not pressing the reset button at the end. Lisa's situation was hilarious-- Marge in jail, Homer in jail, Bart missing, and Maggie just sitting in her high chair.

midas
01-30-2006, 02:02 PM
Well it had it's moments. Homer destroying the "Birthplace of Matt Groenig" made me laugh. I guess we now know that Springfield is not in Oregon, which fans of the show have always suspected. I think it has to be Illinois now, right? I also give mad props for not pressing the reset button at the end. Lisa's situation was hilarious-- Marge in jail, Homer in jail, Bart missing, and Maggie just sitting in her high chair.

Nope, can't be Illinois since they often talk about Capital City. Since Springfield is the capital of Illinois that leaves us out.

Sparty99
01-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Of course, running the gag so long it becomes uncomfortable was being done on the Simpsons before Family Guy. I refer you to the Simpsons episode (hold please, looking up info..) "Two dozen and one greyhounds", and Homer trying to eat the pork rinds. They had the entire bag eaten by those puppies.. one at a time. And that was season 2 of the simpsons... Well before FG started.
For the record, that episode was in season 6 or 7, just before the Who Shot Mr. Burns episode.

And I still say Springfield's in Kentucky.

DevdogAZ
01-30-2006, 02:37 PM
I thought it was just an average episode but I'll agree with doom that the car teetering over the cliff thing went on way too long. The cloverleaf and Flander's song didn't bother me, but the car was stupid.

jradford
01-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Nope, can't be Illinois since they often talk about Capital City. Since Springfield is the capital of Illinois that leaves us out.
There's never been a mention that "Capital City" is actually in the same state as Springfield, though.

The point has always been and always will be, "You'll never know what state it's in," and this episode did nothing to change that.

sschwart
01-30-2006, 04:08 PM
For the record, that episode was in season 6 or 7, just before the Who Shot Mr. Burns episode.

And I still say Springfield's in Kentucky.
You're right. I got confused when I looked up the episode and it started with a 2, and just immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was a 2nd season episode. Still, it predates family guy.

Bardman
01-30-2006, 04:10 PM
I can't believe everyone forgot "Stupid Horse, can't you read? It says "Deer Crossing". Bart, wipe off the windshield and let's go"

MickeS
01-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Very few Simpsons episodes let me down. This one didn't either. I almost always laugh at several things in an episode, and did this time too.

Biggest laugh came when Marge held up Homer's book reviews of "Stuart Little", and then his power-point presentation on "Mice driving cars: a growing problem?" (don't remember the exact wording, but similar). :D:D:D

Anyone who complains that Simspons jokes run too long must not have paid attention before.

betts4
01-30-2006, 09:43 PM
I love new Simpsons Episodes. I love OLD Simpsons episodes too. This one was funny in some great spots - nobody is mentioning the Yard sale? oh my. The key to the sewers? Duct tape on Bart? oh yes! And the final shot of Lisa listening to the tapes. It was a classic.
I must say I did find myself thinking the teetering car scene went on too long, but then I went on to watch Stan from American Dad drive around a parking lot too long....so I figure its a comedy thing.
I can't say this is their best, but at least they have a couple story lines going on as they used to and then seemed to stop for awhile. I am glad to see it back.

getbak
01-30-2006, 10:36 PM
How about Minnesota? Google Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Springfield,+MN+56087)

When Homer tried to get Bart on a flight to Oregan, they played a "Flashback" as to why Bart was blacklisted, when Bart took his seat belt off after the captain explicitly said not to, the plane turned around with the Captain saying other the tannoy something like "That's it, we have to go back to Minneapolis"

Also, they drove past Mt. Rushmore on the way to Oregon, and Minnesota is one of the only States where it would make sense to go through South Dakota on the way to Oregon.

kbohip
01-31-2006, 03:02 AM
That was my exact thought when Ned was singing that song for such a long time.

Yea, I felt the same way. I was starting to wonder if he was ever going to stop, then there was the scene with Bart and the car teetering on the cliff. A pretty bad episode, and more proof that the Simpson's should have ended years ago. I did enjoy Homer driving through Matt's "house" though.

Jesda
01-31-2006, 04:45 AM
That was great! Loved it.

Warren
01-31-2006, 05:36 AM
"worst episode ever"

VinceA
01-31-2006, 09:04 AM
Also, they drove past Mt. Rushmore on the way to Oregon, and Minnesota is one of the only States where it would make sense to go through South Dakota on the way to Oregon.
Homer was driving. Making sense isn't one of his strong points. That plus they give conflicting clues to Springfield's location in different episodes.

newsposter
01-31-2006, 09:40 AM
I was chided on here a while ago for pointing out a blooper about the clock in the kitchen being wrong from one scene to the next. Now you all are trying to figure out things such as what state this is in! I dont feel so bad now about being so anal :)

NJChris
01-31-2006, 10:56 AM
The show has lost it's heart. The two stories in this left me feeling blah. I didn't care what happened. Each one could have been fleshed out into a full show with more care put into them.

There's just so much they can do with the stories now. The family doesn't age or grow in any way, so new stories are now rare.

It feels like the writers are now just going through the motions. It's still OK to watch, but it is a shell of what it used to be.

midas
01-31-2006, 11:31 AM
I didn't think it was that bad. If you're watching The Simpsons for plot development and continuity, you're watching the wrong show. I laughed at a few things, all the ones already mentioned, plus a few more. I thought the whole diner scene was great, especially when the waitress offered to bring Homer a whole pig.

I've been dissappointed with most of the recent episodes but this one was at least OK. It surely ranks far above any 'worst episode ever.'

NoThru22
01-31-2006, 01:21 PM
Yeah, with the manatee episode having played so recently, I doubt we'll have any candidates for "Worst Episode Ever" for a looooong time.

Colorado
01-31-2006, 02:59 PM
First new Simpsons I have enjoyed in a long time. Marge selling drugs, Bart and Milhouse in the steam tunnels, "Don't forget to wash your hands!" All new material and great. Even saved it on TiVo.

tms317
01-31-2006, 05:30 PM
"How about I just shove a whole pig in your mouth?"

Also, I loved the line about him being one "snackfood" away from losing his foot to diabetes. (don't remember the snackfood in questions)
So funny

Spire
01-31-2006, 07:19 PM
If you're watching The Simpsons for plot development and continuity, you're watching the wrong show.That neatly sums what is wrong with The Simpsons today.

I love shows with great plot development and continuity, as well as razor-sharp wit, brilliant satire, characters I care about, and even emotional depth. Fifteen years ago, The Simpsons was precisely the right show for all of that.

I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.