PDA

View Full Version : Upon Further Review: Four Kings

IndyJones1023
01-30-2006, 08:29 AM
I think I'm all caught up on this show and don't know whether or not to keep watching. The pilot was somewhat painful. But I gave it the "shakedown cruise" free pass. I don't see much improvement, though. Is anyone watching it? Does anyone think it's funny?

Seth Green's "Barry" is over the top sitcom. His performance is roll your eyes bad. Like the time the twins slept over and he took the floor. Why the floor? Why not a couch. His frustrations with the lack of pillow almost made me hit the 30-second skip. It was stupid and not remotely funny.

The "Bobby" character is beyond dumb. I don't see how he would have maintained a friendship with the rest of the "got it together" guys. Especially as room mates. I don't see 30-something guys keeping him around.

Todd Grinnell plays "Jason," the most straight laced of the four. Yet he still plays "chest" with Bobby? WTF? And Todd the actor seems really gay. I don't buy him as the one-night stand womanizer at all. Which is jarring and so unbelievable it detracts from enjoying the show.

Which leaves us with neurotic "Ben" played by Josh Cooke. He is clearly playing it as a sitcom actor, but not nearly as bad as Seth Green. At least he shows promise. But the other three make it difficult to wait around for what good can come from Cooke.

Thoughts? Opinions? Am I off base? Does it hold promise? Should I wait it out? Are you? Or am I completely missing the boat here and this is the funniest show in decades?

Lee L
01-30-2006, 08:43 AM
I like it a little more than you do, but it is not on the top of my list. I'll keep watching it as long as I have time for it in my schedule, but won;t make sure to watch.

Jebberwocky!
01-30-2006, 08:58 AM
I could take it or leave it - but my wife refuses to admit it sucks and so we keep watching it.

JDHutt25
01-30-2006, 09:20 AM
Started off as not so good, but decent enough to watch again...it's gone down hill every episode after that.

IJustLikeTivo
01-30-2006, 09:26 AM
I barely got throught the pilot. (why would you pick the show based on that?). The next episode was worse still. If the thing did not have a killer slot, it would be dead. It is dead to me. As in deleted SP. :<(

Animgif
01-30-2006, 10:48 AM
I missed the pilot, but came in on the second. I thought that one was funny, but it has certainly gone downhill for me. I'm still watching, however.

dswallow
01-30-2006, 11:14 AM
It has laughable moments, but in general it's pretty bad, as your observations show. No way it'll last. I keep watching just to see it drown. ;)

IndyJones1023
01-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Does anyone else's gaydar go off for Jason?

JDHutt25
01-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Does anyone else's gaydar go off for Jason?
Which one is he? The dumb one? Yeah, I've watched all the episdodes, but I still don't know who anyone is. Bad sign.

Lee L
01-30-2006, 11:20 AM
I thought someone posted here that one of the characters orientation was changed after the pilot. I did not see anything obvious, but maybe that is what you are talking about.

IndyJones1023
01-30-2006, 11:22 AM
I thought someone posted here that one of the characters orientation was changed after the pilot. I did not see anything obvious, but maybe that is what you are talking about.
Dunno. Like I said in the original post, I think the actor is gay, which makes for him being a womanizer someone odd.

ClutchBrake
01-30-2006, 11:23 AM
EDIT: Beat to the punch by Lee L. :)

I watched all four episodes this weekend. Certainly not on the level of My Name is Earl but I'm enjoying it nonetheless. SP definitely stays for me.

Regarding Jason and the gaydar... I seem to recall browsing through another thread here and someone mentioned something about his character originally being gay. Obviously that changed prior to the airing of the pilot. Don't know if that person was just speculating or not though.

dswallow
01-30-2006, 11:29 AM
One of the characters was originally written to be gay and they rewrote the part so he was straight. I really don't know which character though. Except for Seth Green, I can't tell them apart.

Cue-Ball
01-30-2006, 12:32 PM
I didn't bother to watch past the first episode. I didn't think shows that bad even got a pilot any more.

canyonero!
01-30-2006, 12:41 PM
I love Seth Green and want to like this show to much. But I agree with IndyJones1023 about his character. It's so over the top and annoying to me. I'll keep the SP and keep watching when I feel like it, but I'm not expecting much. Just another show to throw in the NBC Thursday 8:30 PM pile.

SparkleMotion
01-30-2006, 02:39 PM
I made it about 2 minutes into the pilot and asked a friend who'd already seen it if it ever got better. He couldn't tell me it did, so delete and SP cancel.

IndyJones1023
01-30-2006, 02:41 PM
I guess I fear it'll get good and be the thing everyone's talking about soon. I missed out on the "How I Met Your Mother" bandwagon but recently started watching. But to tell the truth, I have no idea what people are talking about with HIMYM. It isn't really all that funny.

dswallow
01-30-2006, 02:53 PM
I guess I fear it'll get good and be the thing everyone's talking about soon.
That I don't see happening. ;)

Any humor it gets is out the bases forms of slapstick... and they're not doing very good with it so far. It's hard to believe they'll figure out how to do it right before a network says goodbye to it.

DevdogAZ
01-30-2006, 02:59 PM
I set up an SP but haven't gotten around to watching any of them yet, and I think the first couple have already fallen off. Glad to see I wasn't really missing anything.

JYoung
01-30-2006, 04:16 PM
I also like Seth Green and decided to give it a try.

Watched the pilot and thought it was horrible
Watched the next episode and thought it was horrible.
Remembered advertising that said this was done by the producers of Will and Grace. Since I've never found Will and Grace particularly funny, this explains much.
Decided I like watching That 70's Show better and canceled recording Four Kings.

Seth Green's Barry is so unlikeable that I don't care what happens to him.
The other three guys are wood planks.

SP gone.

jschuur
01-30-2006, 04:34 PM
I've become a sitcom grinch lately. I'm down to a handful (Scrubs, AD, HIMYM) and rarely find a new one that I like. I actually would have watched Emily's Reasons Why Not for a few more episodes, had they not cancelled it, but killed my Four Kings SP after the pilot. I just didn't find it funny at all, and didn't laugh out loud one time.