PDA

View Full Version : Beauty and the Geek: Season 2 discussion

KRS
01-26-2006, 09:22 AM
I got caught up on this season last night. The trivia questions are (for the most part) so easy - making the women's answers all the more entertaining. I missed the Danielle Steele question, but other than that, I think I could have answered every question that came up in the first two episodes (I even got the Gwen Stefani/Lamb* one).

"What's the capital of Iraq?"
"Could you spell Iraq?"

"My shoes are made of recycled cow skin."

"Don't throw diapers into the backyard. That's land pollution."

"I'm going to take a power nap. All this reading is making me tired." >puts down magazine<
"But we have only been studying for five minutes."

What's up with Unibrow's bizarre facial hair sculpting? Is he taking pointers from that bald guy from Average Joe? Yeah, ladies love flamed out beards.

I couldn't believe that Perfect Pitch/Not William Hung did a Rubik's Cube solo during the karaoke performance.

I wonder what happened to the host from season one. Did he and Kelso have a falling out?

*What is the deal with having two questions about Gwen Stefani? Will the next episode ask "What famous singer is married to the former lead singer for Bush?"

mitkraft
01-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Yes, but all was well when the blond with the obvious man-mades did the little strip dance! That shot of her taking off the shirt she had over her tank top was Instant-replayed many many times in my house. Those things were huge! And it must have been really cold in there.

I don't know if this crowed compares to the first one, but I'm starting to think there might be some good entertainment in here. These guys do seem to be more nerds (read, smart) than the other crew who just seemed like a bunch of social misfits. More of these guys seem to have the traditional "smartness" of nerds.

Lee L
01-26-2006, 04:20 PM
That guy with the rubiks cube is unbelievable. I never got more than like 2 sides when I was a kid. To think he can look at the thing and then remember how the colors are arranged and do it without looking is just hard to wrap my mind around.

DancnDude
01-26-2006, 04:24 PM
I couldn't believe that Perfect Pitch/Not William Hung did a Rubik's Cube solo during the karaoke performance.

I'm sure that's why the guy won. It's such an unbelievable/entertaining talent and adding that to his singing was perfect. Use your skills to the best of your ability, and he used his talent to win over the crowd in his performance....both smart and entertaining.

Havana Brown
01-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Rubik's cube dude/Tyson was on Leno the other nite with his apprentice, the guy he mentored to get the new world's record.

hanumang
01-27-2006, 01:51 AM
It's fallen off a little this season, but I think this is still the most entertaining reality show on TV.

As mitkraft mentions, the dudes are no way near as oddball, but I think the woman actually make up for that drop-off, somewhat, in that they're gettin' pretty catty. The Tristan vs. Cher storyline should be good...

Lee L
01-27-2006, 08:04 AM
I'm sorry, the questions are just too easy. I have not missed one yet.

Plus, soem of the things that the girls are supposed to be good at, like desing is just worg. Not every woman innately knows all about design and how to put together a room, otherwise, only men would need to hire decorators.

Now, the fact that some of thsoe girls did not realize that the monito needed to be connected to the computer is pretty hilarious.

newsposter
01-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Geez i could do the cube in less than 2 minutes but not as fast as that guy.

Tell me, am i that sheltered to not know there are people truly like these girls in the world? Their lack of even common sensical knowledge is disgraceful. Tell me these are wanna be actors please.

I can't believe someone could make it thru live like this. Renting an apt, buying a house/car etc would be sheerly impossible for them, much less balancing a check book.

KRS
01-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Watching Perfect Pitch/Not William Hung inspired me to get a Rubik's cube out of the basement and re-learn how to solve it. When I was a kid, I could solve the whole thing, but I have long since forgotten how to do the last face of the cube. I had to consult my Simple Solution book to do it, and I am even more impressed by Perfect Pitch/Not William Hung's behind the back performance.

Anyone else have one of these timely cubes?
http://www.zutco.com/pictures/toy_rubikscube.JPG

IndyJones1023
01-29-2006, 07:08 PM
I've only seen the first 2 now. Always enjoyable. If anyone finds pix of Sarah, let me know!

KRS
02-06-2006, 12:55 PM
I watched the episode where the guys get makeovers last night. Now, I can understand a woman wanting her guy to maintain two eyebrows and be clean shaven, but I think they went a little overboard with the waxing. They made most of the guys wax their chests, and some of them were really hairy! OUCH!

I was disappointed by the elimination round questions. It is questionable enough that each team gets different questions, but this time it seemed like the questions were too leading.

What's the term for pictures associated with computer files? Four letters....sounds like Nikon...
During a date, when do you make arrangements for the next date so that you don't have to use a phone?

Pretty stupid.

And what's up with that one guy's purse ("murse" as he called it)? It looked pretty large - what all does he have in there?

newsposter
02-06-2006, 01:20 PM
manbags are not cool

about the makeover, my wife says they looked awful! I dont know mens fashion but I know i wouldn't wear that crap either. Chris must go..must...period. Maybe someone can figure out a strategy but now they got rid of my 2 fav girls and keeping someone so annoying his partner hates him, is terrible

But he did have the best line of the night when he forgot the camera was on and called his girl stupid. Girls dont ever ever forget about that. When/if it comes time, he's dead meat. They better not switch teams anymore.

I can see whey she wouldn't get icon, i just think that RAM was almost an acceptable answer as they didn't say permanent or temporary storage. I forget the exact wording.

Monkeys with lasers just cracks me up everytime i hear it. I visualize the guy in that superbowl commercial with monkeys.

oh and why wax the chest? they were covered up anyway!!! or did they want their shirts fully unbuttoned.

aindik
02-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Chris must go..must...period. Maybe someone can figure out a strategy but now they got rid of my 2 fav girls and keeping someone so annoying his partner hates him, is terrible

But he did have the best line of the night when he forgot the camera was on and called his girl stupid. Girls dont ever ever forget about that. When/if it comes time, he's dead meat. They better not switch teams anymore.

Chris and Tristan are gone, no?

newsposter
02-06-2006, 01:44 PM
he's so burned in my head I thought he was still there..oops. Can you tell i dont pay much attn?

Cue-Ball
02-06-2006, 02:22 PM
I got sorta caught up on this show on Sunday during the marathon. Haven't seen the grooming episode yet, but the previous episodes were funny as hell. This is the first time I've laughed out loud at a reality show in a long, long time.

Now, to send out my care package to the troops in Afghanistan, Iraq (that's I-R-A-Q).

mwhip
02-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Maybe everyone was honest with Chris and Tristin and the producers cut it out but what is wrong with telling Tristin "we like you and can't stand your partner. We are sorry you got switched on but he has got to go."?

daperlman
02-06-2006, 02:50 PM
That girl Cheryl is hot, and there is something about Amanda that I find attractive also, but the rest are nothing to write home about.

Wes is the dude in geek's clothing this time around. That speed dating was pretty funny. That Shawn guy finally stopped talking like beavis.

mwhip
02-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Cher bugs me. I thought Tristin was the hottest one because at least she had a little meat on her.

daperlman
02-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Cher bugs me. I thought Tristin was the hottest one because at least she had a little meat on her.
Don't you talk about Cheryl that way! :D

She is one of those girls you date even though all your friends hate her cause she is such a b***ch.

Tristin really doesn't stand out in terms of looks, she is rather unimpressive IMHO.

newsposter
02-06-2006, 03:29 PM
coincidence that more geeks are on this thread?????

where are more beauties?

tetspa
02-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Isn't this the show that promoted "geek gets the girl" all season long last year, only to bring in a hunk at the tail end and (surprise surprise) the girl picks the hunk? Why did I get the feeling that the girl went to the producers and said she wasn't picking any of the geeks, so unless they came up with an alternative there would be no finale for the show? I wonder...

mwhip
02-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Isn't this the show that promoted "geek gets the girl" all season long last year, only to bring in a hunk at the tail end and (surprise surprise) the girl picks the hunk? Why did I get the feeling that the girl went to the producers and said she wasn't picking any of the geeks, so unless they came up with an alternative there would be no finale for the show? I wonder...

I thought they touted this as "this is not a dating show it's a social experiment". Tristin wheres a band on her left ring or middle finger in different shots so I wonder if she is married.

JYoung
02-07-2006, 09:46 AM

I believe that you are thinking of Average Joe.

Lee L
02-07-2006, 09:47 AM

I did not watch Beauty and the Geek last time, but this sounds more like Average Joe 2 to me.

IndyJones1023
02-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Where's the pix of Sarah?!?!?

Steveknj
02-10-2006, 08:50 AM
No comments on last night's show? Is Cher becoming the female Chris? As cute as she is, she is ultra annoying, but I really like Josh and I think he's definitely the most "improved" geek. I loved the parties. I thought that was the best strategy that Josh used, to bring in ANY women, doesn't have to be hot women, and it sure did work. I still wonder why anybody would go to a stanger's party in Las Vegas like that? I guess people DO live dangerously...

Figaro
02-10-2006, 09:04 AM
What the hell happened on last nights episode. When that chick got the question on which hand of cards would win, the hands changed location and letter between when the question was asked and answered. When Ankur (sp?) answered the RSVP question he didn't say "vous" and yet he still got it right? Come on, how can anyone who wears tighty whities be allowed to stay?

MitchO
02-10-2006, 09:11 AM
I also don't understand the betting pattern; it appeared more than once that there was bet; call and then a raise by the original bettor (usually Cher)?

Steveknj
02-10-2006, 09:15 AM
I also don't understand the betting pattern; it appeared more than once that there was bet; call and then a raise by the original bettor (usually Cher)?

The poker game seemed to be very disjointed. I was unclear what happens when someone won a hand. Did their partner get their clothes back?

I'm not poker expert. What game were they playing? Was that Texas Holdum?

cherry ghost
02-10-2006, 10:29 AM
The poker game seemed to be very disjointed. I was unclear what happens when someone won a hand. Did their partner get their clothes back?

I'm not poker expert. What game were they playing? Was that Texas Holdum?

Yes, they got their clothes back. They were playing modified Texas hold-em. No betting until after the river.

Steveknj
02-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Yes, they got their clothes back. They were playing modified Texas hold-em. No betting until after the river.

Guess I should brush up on Texas Holdem. I have no idea what the river is, or anything else they were saying. I understand the basics of poker, but outside of that, I don't understand all the fancy games.

Havana Brown
02-10-2006, 12:56 PM
coincidence that more geeks are on this thread?????

where are more beauties?

alright, alright, calm down.

I can't believe those guys got waxed. I love hairy men!!!

mmmm....hairy chests...mmmm

Waldorf
02-10-2006, 05:09 PM
What the hell happened on last nights episode. When that chick got the question on which hand of cards would win, the hands changed location and letter between when the question was asked and answered.

This confused my wife and I also... we normally pause and try to answer the question on our own. In this case, both (a) and (c) were the exact same flushes that would win the hand and the term for that would be a 'split pot'... However, she answered (d) because she thought it was a full house, but it wasn't... then when the camera panned back and host said she was wrong, all of the hands had been rearranged.

Bad, editors... bad bad... you could learn something from our friends at the amazing race.

newsposter
02-11-2006, 08:13 PM
alright, alright, calm down.

I can't believe those guys got waxed. I love hairy men!!!

mmmm....hairy chests...mmmm

I had no idea. See you out front in 5 minutes :)

Well wasn't it good they had 5 hours to practice poker on the bus this week? I think they should have gotten back clothes when they won but i guess that woulda taken too long. I can't believe even a geek would bring tighty whiteys on here. They would have made a much more interesting game if the girls were stripping.

I thought the idea of inviting old ladies wouldn't work but they proved me wrong. I feel so bad that zero showed up at that one party though. Not one freeloader!

"my boyfriend is such a thug"...that woman was a bit scary for them I'm sure. I also do wish that ms woody allen would have at least given him a fake phone number to boost his ego.

mitkraft
02-14-2006, 10:21 AM
What the hell happened on last nights episode. When that chick got the question on which hand of cards would win, the hands changed location and letter between when the question was asked and answered. When Ankur (sp?) answered the RSVP question he didn't say "vous" and yet he still got it right? Come on, how can anyone who wears tighty whities be allowed to stay?

This confused my wife and I also... we normally pause and try to answer the question on our own. In this case, both (a) and (c) were the exact same flushes that would win the hand and the term for that would be a 'split pot'... However, she answered (d) because she thought it was a full house, but it wasn't... then when the camera panned back and host said she was wrong, all of the hands had been rearranged.

Bad, editors... bad bad... you could learn something from our friends at the amazing race.

Yup, that was pretty big screw-up. Actually what I think happened was in the first shot the top two hands (was that a&c or a&b?) were exactly the same. On the second shot however the top right hand had changed. They rest of the hands stayed the same I think. We were quite confused by that also when we paused to answer the question.

Repeat after me: [cool announcer voice] Portions of the show not affecting the outcome have been edited[/cool announcer voice]

Basically that means only who stays and goes in a given episode can be certain to be reality. The rest is probably "based on a true story" hehe

KRS
02-17-2006, 03:20 PM
At least Indy got another look at Sarah's skittles before she and Wes were booted off the show.

I wish they had more trivia questions. Maybe it is just because most of them are so easy, but I always enjoy that part of the show.

When they had the girls challenge to get free drinks without makeup and nice clothes, I thought they were going to put them in fat suits or do a little more to uglify them.

Why didn't Josh's date ask him what was inside the murse. That's what I really want to know.

newsposter
02-18-2006, 03:04 PM
i wonder what the premise was for the bar thing to get people in there? obviously it's not really a bar or they wouldn't kick people out in one hour.

I dont know who to root for now...maybe flip a coin

newsposter
03-15-2006, 07:07 AM
I'm shocked no one else has talked about the finale :)

well well well...I wish we could have voted to split up the couples and re-pair them. I sure didn't want cher to win. It was really funny seeing how they started with their freaky hairstyles though. Brit didn't dress very well...girls you are supposed to dress to look skinnier not heavier! The answer on the screen thing was very painful to watch. Even that 5 seconds you had to wait was too long. I can tell the contestants were told not to give away their emotions until the answer was displayed and that must have been difficult for them.

They need a new host. That guy is pretty boring.

nyny523
03-15-2006, 07:19 AM
I read that Cher moved to LA and is living with Wes!

newsposter
03-15-2006, 07:42 AM
That wes question was such a gimme as to be characterized as an unfair advantage.

nyny523
03-15-2006, 07:49 AM
That wes question was such a gimme as to be characterized as an unfair advantage.

Yes, I agree.

Frankly, I thought she (Cher) was too smart for this show, and he (Wes) was too good looking and non-geeky for this show.

KRS
03-15-2006, 09:12 AM
I feel like Cher was planted in order to get Murse to win. She simply was not dumb enough - I mean she wants to go to med school for goodness sake. And I agree that the questions at the end were totally in their favor. If they really wanted to keep the game fair, ask each couple the same questions, Family Feud style!

I have to give props to Kaysar for not killing his partner in the Suburban. Anyone who needs an hour to get their bearings with a map, an address, and a driver is too dumb to live, even for this show!

marksman
03-15-2006, 10:04 AM
I read that Cher moved to LA and is living with Wes!

That is funny... I think a few days before the finale there were spottings of Cher still selling beer in Dallas area bars. Apparently she did a good job keeping her cover that she won.

I imagine the day of the last show she took off.

I think the general consensus is Cher should not have been on the show because she was too smart. As for wes, I think he looked horrible when he got there, but it seems like he looked intentionally horrible. Nobody defaults into that ridiculous hairstyle he had when he got there, no matter how much of a nerd they are.

vikingguy
03-15-2006, 01:23 PM

Could not agree more it is like the game was rigged. Lets not forget the easy what does cher wanna be when she grows up question. While joe/britney had near impossible questions cher/josh got 2 gimme questions. I guess it is popular to make sure the bad guy wins on reality shows these days since richard hatch.

Amnesia
03-15-2006, 01:35 PM
While joe/britney had near impossible questions cher/josh got 2 gimme questions.
But let's not forget that Joe really blew it on that last one. "Innocence"? Come on! Even if it were true, did he really think that Brittany was going to get that?

KRS
03-15-2006, 01:47 PM
But let's not forget

:)

I agree that was a pretty silly answer - I think the pressure was getting to him.

DevdogAZ
03-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Innocence was a ridiculous answer. What was it that he wanted to change? He wanted her to be more innocent or less innocent? Either way that doesn't come across very well. However, I was pretty surprised that they even got down to the last question. Cher's questions were much easier and I can't figure out why they would rig it to go that way when Joe and Brittany were so much more likeable.

While I like the premise of this show, they do tend to pick a couple of people and focus on them much more. In the first season it was that complete dweeb Richard (I think that was his name) and in this season it was Josh. While I was glad that Josh overcame some of his anxieties and seemed to make a real change, I still would have liked to have seen more about some of the other people as well.

Another thing that bugged me was the fact that most of the girls just weren't that hot. Sure, they were all good looking, but none were just stunning knockouts like you'd expect on a show like this. I thought Sarah was the best looking and that other blonde who got stuck with Chris seemed to have a fun personality, as did Brittany, but mostly they were just slightly above average rather than "Beauties."

marrone
03-15-2006, 02:40 PM
I'll voice my once/season complaint that this isn't much of a social experiment if people get eliminated. I feel they should be there the whole time...let each contestant go through all the motions and learn some life skills. Then somehow figure out who wins (viewer vote).

For me, the entertainment is seeing how these people screw up the simplest life things...not "I'm bringing you to the elimination round because you sent me there last week". ZZZZZZZZZ

-Mike

marksman
03-15-2006, 02:42 PM
By the way there is a UK version of this show I have been watching on torrents. It is similar yet different. There is no host at all. There is only a butler who delivers notes, and in the showdown they ask each other questions while all the other teams watch from over head.

The basic principles and path of the show seem to be very similar though, in terms of the girls becoming way over emotional and the geeks changing, and one guy and one girl always hooking up.

Amnesia
03-15-2006, 03:06 PM
viewer voteThe real issue with a viewer vote (IMO) is that editing plays such a large role in our impressions of the contestants.

DevdogAZ
03-15-2006, 03:11 PM
The real issue with a viewer vote (IMO) is that editing plays such a large role in our impressions of the contestants.
Exactly. They can edit the show to favor or dis-favor any of the contestants. I don't think viewer vote would work for this kind of a show, but I would like to see them do something different to keep the people around the whole time. Perhaps each challenge throughout the season could earn you points and there would be weekly standings, etc. with a playoff at the end where teams were pitted against each other based on standings. Or they could have each of the weekly challenges be for some sort of reward or advantage, but not to determine who gets kicked off. In the finale episode, all the teams would still be there and they'd have to compete in some gigantic, epic, perhaps multi-day challenge that combined all the elements that they had worked on in prior challenges and forced them to overcome weaknesses, etc. The winner of the final challenge wins the money, but all participants get to stay for the entire time to work on their shortcomings.

laststarfighter
03-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Cher might have won but Brittany is still hawt!

KRS
03-15-2006, 04:35 PM
By the way there is a UK version of this show I have been watching on torrents. It is similar yet different. There is no host at all. There is only a butler who delivers notes, and in the showdown they ask each other questions while all the other teams watch from over head.

You mean to say that Kelso didn't come up with the concept? :eek:

DevdogAZ
03-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Actually the UK version is a copy/remake/extension of the US version, not the other way around as is usually the case.

Having said that, I highly doubt that this whole thing was Kelso's idea. He's just the name/money behind it.

debtoine
03-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Isn't it Mr. Demi Moore's idea?

I would like to see next season be female geeks, and male beauties :)

T

Lee L
03-16-2006, 10:02 AM

T

Yeah, Mr. Moore (Ashton Kutcher) playes Kelso on that 70's show. Lots of people just call him Kelso.

debtoine
03-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Ah -

Only watched that 70s show when I was on the road for work. Not enough to know his character's name :D

Thanks,

T

nyny523
03-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Ah -

Only watched that 70s show when I was on the road for work. Not enough to know his character's name :D

Thanks,

T

I had no idea what they were talkin' about either... :rolleyes:

dvdapex
03-16-2006, 10:18 AM

But Joe's team had a couple of questions like "who in the house would Joe like to date" and "what challenge was XYZ" and "what was the most embarrassing moment for Joe on the show". Those all have a small number of answers (there were what 8 females? So that answer was a 1/8 (probably more like 1/4 when things are narrowed down) guess chance. While Cher's question was "what word first popped into Josh's head when...". How many possible words are there? There's no way to guess that (unless Josh had told her this specifically).

I do think it was rigged to have a tie-breaker though. I didn't think Joe would get the "Brittany would get up early and work out more" answer. But, he did. That leads me to believe they discussed this and the show's eyes and ears picked up on this and put it in as a question.

Good show though. Glad Josh won. Cher seemed manipulative in the first several episodes but they didn't seem to show her in that light too much in the last couple of episodes.

MitchO
03-16-2006, 10:23 AM

T

I believe I read that this is, in fact, what will happen.