PDA

View Full Version : Scrubs "My Way Home" 1/24/2006 *Spoilers*

vman41
01-25-2006, 04:59 AM
They could have built a contest around this episode the way they used to do Drew Carey 'mistake' episodes. On the re-airing, have a little counter ticking off the WoO references.

This is one of their better efforts, the writers put a lot of work into setting up the gags (e.g. cleary establishing that it is a rainy day so you can have a rainbow at the end).

Warren
01-25-2006, 05:53 AM
I really liked this one :)

twm01
01-25-2006, 08:19 AM
picked up on the name of the organ donor?

(Never mind, those that did will be the only ones to reply).

Therefore - for those of you that missed it - the father Turk was speaking with was Mr. Bolger, and his son was called Ray. Nice touch.

Rangers4me
01-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Very, very, solid episode. Best of season five, top four of last two seasons. I thought they did the references very well for the most part, without hitting you over the head with them.

jeff92k7
01-25-2006, 08:45 AM
I would agree. This is one of the best "Scrubs" my wife and I have seen in a while. This season has had that "been-on-so-long-that-they-ran-out-of-good-stories" feeling to it. This episode sure broke that feeling.

Then, the second one came on.... back to dissapointment land. Oh well, I guess the good ones wouldn't be so good if there weren't boring ones to contrast against.

Jeff

JDHutt25
01-25-2006, 08:47 AM

Therefore - for those of you that missed it - the father Turk was speaking with was Mr. Bolger, and his son was called Ray. Nice touch.

The wife and I picked up on it immediately. Nice touch.

MikeCC
01-25-2006, 09:12 AM
I would agree. This is one of the best "Scrubs" my wife and I have seen in a while. This season has had that "been-on-so-long-that-they-ran-out-of-good-stories" feeling to it. This episode sure broke that feeling.

Then, the second one came on.... back to dissapointment land. Oh well, I guess the good ones wouldn't be so good if there weren't boring ones to contrast against.

Jeff

Or the bad ones wouldn't seem so bad if they didn't have the good ones to be contrasted to...

All seriousness aside ( :rolleyes: ) ...

The folks at Scrubs just set the bar pretty high. Compare one episode against another, and you can be disappointed. Compare it against another show, that's something else again.

I find Scrubs in a class pretty much by itself, with both lighthearted humor and some tendencies to zany over-the-top humor in almost every episode. Scrubs is funnier than many of the comedies out there; but not every episode is a gem.

DPF
01-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Really enjoyed this one too. The setups were great, and I did pick up on the Bolger fairly early, but I missed the late addition of the son's name being Ray. Overall a great episode. I enjoyed the second as well, and althpugh it should be saved for another thread, I was doubled over laughing during the second when Turk said "And he look my hat!" and you saw the ostrich come in the background. I was dyin'.

-DPF

AccidenT
01-25-2006, 09:32 AM
I loved the heaven/hell exchange between JD and Turk:

"I've thought a lot about you dying"
"Oh, because you think I'm going to die before you because of my diabetes?"
"Yeah, and where are we going to meet up in heaven?"
"At the milkshake pool on the lesbian cloud!"

"And if someone tried to get me to pull the plug on you without being completely honest with you, where would they end up?"
"In hell, watching 'The View'!"
"Yep, right next to the super-tall unreachable cupcake table"

mrpantstm
01-25-2006, 10:05 AM
I was sorta eh about most of the jokes in this episode but the WoO references were excellently done. Just kind of obvious enough for you to pick up on them. No flying monkeys, thankfully.

Jonathan_S
01-25-2006, 10:35 AM
I can't believe how long it took me to realized that the red painted sneakers were a ruby slippers reference. (Didn't even think about it until they basically hit you over the head with it during the pan to see the rainbow shot).

And I even thought about J.D. doing the click your heels, "There's no place like home" bit, and still didn't realize he had on the ruby slippers...

Fun episode though.

dtle
01-25-2006, 10:35 AM
Here's another reference that most people would not get. The dying son's name is Ray Bulger. That's also the name of the actor who played the Tin Man.

(I have to give credit to Chris Berman on NFL Primetime for making me aware of this fact. He was always making fun of the Rams QB Mark Bulger.)

Isn't Mortality & Morbidity (M&M) supposed to be a learning lecture, not to place to blame on anyone?

JDHutt25
01-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Here's another reference that most people would not get. The dying son's name is Ray Bulger. That's also the name of the actor who played the Tin Man.

(I have to give credit to Chris Berman on NFL Primetime for making me aware of this fact. He was always making fun of the Rams QB Mark Bulger.)

Isn't Mortality & Morbidity (M&M) supposed to be a learning lecture, not to place to blame on anyone?

SOME (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=3711766&&#post3711766) sure did get the reference. ;)

MitchO
01-25-2006, 10:42 AM
dtle: Half the posts on this thread already say that they got the Ray Bulger reference (for the record, we got it in my household, too). The one reference I didn't get until they hammered it home later in the show was "Toto" ... I already knew that JD was a big Journey fan.

Does anyone know if there is a list out there of girl's names that Cox has called JD? I remember reading somewhere that he's never used the same name twice, but in yet another blatant reference, he called JD "Dorothy" at both the beginning and the end of the ep.

I like Jack turning green, tho I was waiting for something Munchkin-related to be part of that joke.

TeeSee
01-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Actually, Ray Bolger played the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz. Shouldn't the patient have been named Jack Haley? That's who played the Tin Man, who needed a heart. Ray Bolger's Scarecrow needed a brain.

cmontyburns
01-25-2006, 10:51 AM

Actually, it's Ray Bolger, and he played Scarecrow.

I loved this episode. I agree that it wasn't the funniest episode, but I don't think they were going for that, necessarily. It was just exceptionally clever. This sort of thing really separates Scrubs from any other show (comedy, anyway) on television. I can't think of another one that would even do an epsiode like this, let alone pull it off so expertly.

I had to watch it twice to make sure I caught all the Wizard of Oz references, and I'm still not sure I did. My two favorites: Todd, on getting back from the zoo (sent there by Nurse Roberts at the request of Turk!), saying he saw "lions and tigers and bears" -- then, seeing a hot girl in the hallway -- "oh my!"; and Janitor, working on a door hinge with a screwdriver in his mouth, barely able to ask for "oil can! oil can!" -- just as the Tin Man did when Dorothy first encountered him. Oh OK, and Cox talking about the mop of straw-colored hair on Elliott's head, and of course she represented Scarecrow in this ep. Oh, and...

Nice direction by Zach Braff, by the way.

vman41
01-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Did the Sacred Heart sign J.D. scootered past always say east wing entrance?

vman41
01-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Actually, Ray Bolger played the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz. Shouldn't the patient have been named Jack Haley? That's who played the Tin Man, who needed a heart. Ray Bolger's Scarecrow needed a brain.

The patient Ray Bolger was brain dead, they wanted to transplant his heart to someone else.

TeeSee
01-25-2006, 11:03 AM
The patient Ray Bolger was brain deadI can relate right now. :o

DPF
01-25-2006, 12:12 PM
Until this reread of this thread-

Missed the Ruby slippers

Missed the Toto

Missed the Ray Bolger/braindead connection

/not very bright

-DPF

5thcrewman
01-25-2006, 01:25 PM
I like when Lisa Rinna melted! :rolleyes:

bdlucas
01-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Strappy sandals :down:

Lacy bra :up:

:D

Sparty99
01-25-2006, 01:55 PM
I didn't catch the ruby red slippers part until the very end. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was about 10 minutes into the show before they started really being blatant about the references (the Toto part wouldn't have been recognizable until you knew they were doing a Wizard of Oz satire).

busyba
01-25-2006, 02:32 PM
They didn't get blatant until the yellow brick road sequence, but in hindsight they were clearly setting things up from the beginning.

NoThru22
01-25-2006, 03:09 PM
He mentioned the Toto thing again much later in the episode when he showed his iPod again.

bentleyml
01-25-2006, 03:20 PM
"Me and toto are going home..."

Or something to that effect.

porges
01-25-2006, 03:36 PM
I also think they may have cranked the color saturation up in the second half to reflect the famous B&W-to-color transition of The Wizard of Oz.

JDHutt25
01-25-2006, 03:37 PM
I also think they may have cranked the color saturation up in the second half to reflect the famous B&W-to-color transition of The Wizard of Oz.

I thought I noticed that too....though I wasn't sure.

bentleyml
01-25-2006, 03:48 PM
Yeah they did crank the colors up. When I was first watching I was at work and only half paying attention. I looked up and all the colors were just way too bright and I thought something was wrong with the TV for a moment. :D

MitchO
01-25-2006, 03:55 PM
They cranked up the colorization when the 4 of them were walking to the exit .. which mirrored the famous poster/advertisement of the 4 characters walking down the Yellow Brick Road.

YCantAngieRead
01-25-2006, 04:02 PM

Me!

I'm such a nerd. :D

MitchO
01-25-2006, 04:14 PM
OK so we all knew Ray Bolger. But who was originally supposed to play the Scarecrow, and what happened?!

(I'm 100% sure someone here is going to know this one.)

JDHutt25
01-25-2006, 04:16 PM
OK so we all knew Ray Bolger. But who was originally supposed to play the Scarecrow, and what happened?!

(I'm 100% sure someone here is going to know this one.)

I thought the original tin man was allergic to his makeup...not sure about Scarecrow...

JYoung
01-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Buddy Ebsen was the original Tin Man (in fact, you can still hear his voice in some of the musical numbers) but couldn't tolerate the make up and was replaced by Jack Haley.

According to Bolger, he was originally offered the part of the Tin Man but wanted to play the Scarecrow because he spent more time with Dorothy.

vman41
01-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Buddy Ebsen was the original Tin Man (in fact, you can still hear his voice in some of the musical numbers) but couldn't tolerate the make up and was replaced by Jack Haley.

A later version of the story I heard was that they originally tried a makeup technique that used aluminum dust and Ebsen got a lung full off it that put him in the hospital. When they got Haley as a replacement, they also changed the makeup.

DevdogAZ
01-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks to everyone for the info in this thread. I caught several of the references, but now I see that I didn't catch nearly all of them. Masterfully done.

busyba
01-25-2006, 08:56 PM
Ted's vocal group is the best! :up: :up: They should put out a CD.

I don't think it was them singing Over the Rainbow at the end though; it didn't quite sound like Ted.

Doug wigging out in the elevator had me in stitches.

MitchO
01-25-2006, 08:58 PM
According to Bolger, he was originally offered the part of the Tin Man but wanted to play the Scarecrow because he spent more time with Dorothy.

I was under the impression he wanted the Scarecrow because he idolized the actor who originally played the part on stage.

But other than that,yes you are correct. It was supposed to be Ebsen/Bolger, then became Bolger/Ebsen, and Buddy dropped because of the makeup.

JYoung
01-25-2006, 09:27 PM
A later version of the story I heard was that they originally tried a makeup technique that used aluminum dust and Ebsen got a lung full off it that put him in the hospital. When they got Haley as a replacement, they also changed the makeup.

I was under the impression he wanted the Scarecrow because he idolized the actor who originally played the part on stage.

But other than that,yes you are correct. It was supposed to be Ebsen/Bolger, then became Bolger/Ebsen, and Buddy dropped because of the makeup.

I've actually heard both stories on the Tin Man makeup, on the same special about WOO as a matter of fact (could have been a news feature though) that I saw on TV shortly before Bolger died.
He claimed that he wanted the Scarecrow because he spent the most time with Dorothy (of course I realize that it also allowed him more time on screen than the Tin Man).
IIRC, Bolger also recalled the allergy story on the makeup while Jack Haley, JR. (son of the Tin Man actor and sucessfull Academy Award Show producer) stated the aluminium dust reason.
Bolger also went on and on about how wonderful working on the movie was while Haley, JR disagreed on that, saying that his father told him what a miserable shoot and Mayer was horrible to work for and stated that Bolger was having selective memory recall.

IndyJones1023
01-25-2006, 09:28 PM
Wow. Best episode ever. Maybe of any sitcom. I love meta stuff like this.

busyba
01-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Anything you can do, I can do meta. :)

BrandonSi
01-26-2006, 12:34 AM
My g/f's tivo recorded American Idol instead of scrubs, and I don't watch it.. would anyone happen to have it? I can provide a place to upload it.... :)

DevdogAZ
01-26-2006, 10:41 AM

I don't think it was them singing Over the Rainbow at the end though; it didn't quite sound like Ted.
Actually, I think it was Zach Braff singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow. It sounded an awful lot like him and it would fit in with the metaphor of him being Dorothy. If I am correct, I was pretty impressed with his voice.

jwjody
01-26-2006, 10:58 AM
I feel so stupid. I was watching this while showing a friend how to export pictures in iPhoto then upload them to the website so obviously wasn't paying attention to all the clever references. :(

J

joeinma
01-26-2006, 11:02 AM

Who really does sing that version of Over the Rainbow? Not on the show, but in real life. I know I have heard it before, with the ukealale (sp?) etc. but just don't know where!

bentleyml
01-26-2006, 12:15 PM
As much as I loved the Wizard of Oz references, my favorite line is from Doug: "Dead people should stay dead..."

Oh and I think Over the Rainbow was song by Zach Braff with the Ted's group as backup. The main voice in the song sounded very much like Zach and I'd be shocked if it wasn't him.

Oh and his scooters name is it Sasha?

Sparty99
01-26-2006, 12:20 PM
As much as I loved the Wizard of Oz references, my favorite line is from Doug: "Dead people should stay dead..."
That was hysterical.

"Why are you hitting me!?!"
"Because I thought you were dead!"
"Then WHY are you hitting me!?!"

Tangent
01-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Who really does sing that version of Over the Rainbow? Not on the show, but in real life. I know I have heard it before, with the ukealale (sp?) etc. but just don't know where!

You probably heard the Somewhere Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World medley by Isreal Kamakawiwo'ole. It's been used in several shows by now...

ScottE22
01-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Great ep!

Count me as another one who thought the TV was messed up when the cranked up the saturation...

busyba
01-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Count me as another one who thought the TV was messed up when the cranked up the saturation...
You know, I didn't even notice it. Then, after reading all about it here, I went back and rewatched it and wow, that was a big difference! I can't believe I didn't discern it the first time.

It's not even like the just came back from commercial with the new settings, they actually did the transition right in front of you (and quickly) right before going to commercial.

I'm suddenty feeling very non-observant.... :o :)

whitson77
01-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Bout time this season had a good episode. The first few minutes were pretty weak, but the last 20 minutes was greatness. The next episode though. Bleech.

bdlucas
01-26-2006, 01:20 PM
It's not even like the just came back from commercial with the new settings, they actually did the transition right in front of you (and quickly) right before going to commercial.
I did notice the increased saturation, but I didn't notice when it happened. If it was a proper reference to the original Wizard of Oz, it should have mimicked the transition from b/w to color in the movie, which happened IIRC when Dorothy woke up in Oz. When exactly did it happen in Scrubs?

ScottE22
01-26-2006, 01:38 PM
You know, I didn't even notice it. Then, after reading all about it here, I went back and rewatched it and wow, that was a big difference! I can't believe I didn't discern it the first time.

I'm suddenty feeling very non-observant.... :o :)

Probably depends on the TV, too -- we have a new LCD TV that we got in December and it was VERY noticeable...

DreadPirateRob
01-26-2006, 01:47 PM
<hits self on head with a 2x4>

This is what I get for watching Scrubs after midnight. Either that, or I am just not getting enough sleep lately. I'm pretty sure I completely missed the entire idea of a WoO homage. I did notice the color saturation change (especially noticeable in Eliot's makeup and Carla's pink scrubs), and I did see most of the other nods (although the Ray Bolger thing meant nothing to me), but for some reason it didn't click.

Of course, now that it falls into place, all I can do is quote the Orbitz girl: "Brilliant!"

IndyJones1023
01-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Of course, now that it falls into place, all I can do is quote the Orbitz girl: "Brilliant!"
Or the Guiness Guy.

DreadPirateRob
01-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Bonus for me - I just remembered that this ep is also on the Tivo in the den (where I put potential conflict SPs, just so there's overlap). So now I can watch it again with my brain turned on.

busyba
01-26-2006, 02:03 PM
I did notice the increased saturation, but I didn't notice when it happened. If it was a proper reference to the original Wizard of Oz, it should have mimicked the transition from b/w to color in the movie, which happened IIRC when Dorothy woke up in Oz. When exactly did it happen in Scrubs?
When they first started dropping the analogy anvils. :)

The four of them are walking down the yellow line and the voiceover talks about looking for a brain/a heart/courage/home and they cut to a shot of the 4 from behind and we see the yellow line dovetails into a yellow brick road in front of the exit doors and the doors open and they cut to commercial.

The saturation cranks up just after the cut to the rear perspective.

busyba
01-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Probably depends on the TV, too -- we have a new LCD TV that we got in December and it was VERY noticeable...
42" HD Plasma.

I really have no excuse. :D

ScottE22
01-26-2006, 02:19 PM
...I did notice the color saturation change (especially noticeable in Eliot's makeup and Carla's pink scrubs)...

It may have just been the color, but it did seem that they were using a lot more "day-glo" colors than they have before...

JYoung
01-26-2006, 02:19 PM
You probably heard the Somewhere Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World medley by Isreal Kamakawiwo'ole. It's been used in several shows by now...

Yes, I think that was the one used.
It was also used in the death of Mark Greene episode of ER.

jdfs
01-26-2006, 09:15 PM
I like the beginning of the epsiode when J. D. fell in the large pot hole and came out the other side. I took that to be him entering another place. Like when dorothy comes out of the house. I assume they didn't do the whole black and white thing to color because it would have been too obvious at that point in the story.

cmontyburns
01-27-2006, 12:20 AM
Yes, I think that was the one used.
It was also used in the death of Mark Greene episode of ER.

Actually I do think it was Ted's band. I went and listened to some of the Israel version (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=6920402&s=143441&i=6920394) (iTunes required) and it is very similar to the one used in the ep, but they are distinctly not the same. Also, on the Scrubs music page (http://www.scrubs-tv.com/music.html) there is no artist credit listed for the song, just the song title. (Of course, busting that bit of evidence is the fact that Hall & Oates are credited for "Maniac", which absolutely was Ted's band in the ep.)

DevdogAZ
01-27-2006, 12:43 AM
Bonus for me - I just remembered that this ep is also on the Tivo in the den (where I put potential conflict SPs, just so there's overlap). So now I can watch it again with my brain turned on.
You'll have to get one from the Wizard first, Scarecrow. ;)

DevdogAZ
01-27-2006, 12:58 AM
No one has mentioned this, and it has nothing to do with the WoO homage, but I had to laugh at:

Kelso: Pepe?

cmontyburns
01-27-2006, 01:07 AM
No one has mentioned this, and it has nothing to do with the WoO homage, but I had to laugh at:

Watched the ep again tonight and laughed at that myself. It gets funnier with each viewing. Something about the way Ken Jenkins delivers the line.

bigpuma
01-27-2006, 01:30 AM
Actually I do think it was Ted's band. I went and listened to some of the Israel version (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=6920402&s=143441&i=6920394) (iTunes required) and it is very similar to the one used in the ep, but they are distinctly not the same. Also, on the Scrubs music page (http://www.scrubs-tv.com/music.html) there is no artist credit listed for the song, just the song title. (Of course, busting that bit of evidence is the fact that Hall & Oates are credited for "Maniac", which absolutely was Ted's band in the ep.)

It was the Israel version with a different singer. Definately wasn't Ted singing either.

bentleyml
01-27-2006, 01:32 AM

That makes me laugh too. It was just so wonderfully done. :D

JETarpon
01-27-2006, 09:14 AM
OK, I'm suprised I haven't seen anybody else mention this reference.

The guy who popped the staples in his chest was Mr. Baum.

cmontyburns
01-27-2006, 10:37 AM
It was the Israel version with a different singer.

Well, then it wasn't the Israel version. Which was my point! :)

cmontyburns
01-27-2006, 10:37 AM

The guy who popped the staples in his chest was Mr. Baum.

Dangit, I knew I still hadn't caught all the references. That one continued to go right by me. Good catch.

TeeSee
01-27-2006, 10:51 AM

The guy who popped the staples in his chest was Mr. Baum.Really? Nice catch. I wonder if there's some correlation between the character popping the staples in his chest and something to do with L. Frank Baum's life. Maybe a metaphor or something.

The more I think about this episode the more it seems to have in common with the series finale of St. Elsewhere, only that episode had more general pop culture references.

Agatha Mystery
01-27-2006, 01:47 PM
I finally got a chance to watch this. I also caught the Ray Bolger reference, but I didn't catch the Baum reference.

This was a great episode. I'm such a fan of the Wizard of Oz. This is a great homage.

trainman
01-27-2006, 03:24 PM
(Of course, busting that bit of evidence is the fact that Hall & Oates are credited for "Maniac", which absolutely was Ted's band in the ep.)

Hall and Oates isn't even correct for the name of the original artist for that song; it was the work of "one-hit wonder" Michael Sembello. (Actually, he's a session musician who's played on a lot of other hits, but no others under his own name.)

TeeSee
01-27-2006, 04:09 PM
That's right. Sembello did Maniac. Maybe they're confusing that song title with H&O's Maneater.

Rob Helmerichs
01-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Hall & Oates WROTE "She's A Maniac." That's why they got the credit.

CaffeineBoy
01-27-2006, 06:28 PM
A couple things:

Did a previous episode end with Colin Hay singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow?

I also remember an episode where JD mentioned a high school production of WoO and he had played Dorothy.

TiVoJerry
01-27-2006, 08:34 PM
<hits self on head with a 2x4>

This is what I get for watching Scrubs after midnight. Either that, or I am just not getting enough sleep lately. I'm pretty sure I completely missed the entire idea of a WoO homage. I did notice the color saturation change (especially noticeable in Eliot's makeup and Carla's pink scrubs), and I did see most of the other nods (although the Ray Bolger thing meant nothing to me), but for some reason it didn't click.

or the Guinness Guy

Okay, I've got to start reading this part of the forum more often. I missed all sorts of references! Luckily I still have a copy around and will have to watch it when I am feeling a little more brilliant.........

TeeSee
01-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Hall & Oates WROTE "She's A Maniac." That's why they got the credit.No, they didn't. They apparantly did a cover of the song, but Michael Sembello and Dennis Matkoski (sp?) were the composers.

mrmike
01-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Maybe they're confusing that song title with H&O's Maneater.

Which, if I recall, was a Mike Oldfield composition.

TeeSee
01-28-2006, 01:11 AM
Which, if I recall, was a Mike Oldfield composition.Daryl Hall, John Oates, and Sarah Allen

mrmike
01-28-2006, 01:22 AM
Daryl Hall, John Oates, and Sarah Allen

Yup. It was Family Man I was thinking about, I just dug out my copy of "5 Miles Out" and looked. So much for my music trivia skills.

Michelle5150
01-28-2006, 01:37 AM
We just watched these ep's.

I didn't connect some of the references, (Ray Bolger, ruby slippers, Toto as a metaphor for the dog..) but I hate the Wizard of Oz, so I don't feel bad about not catching them. That movie creeps me out to no end. And yes, I realize I might be the only female on the planet who can't stand that movie.

Doug wigging out in the elevator had me in stitches.

That scene was hilarious!, but after he beat JD with the extinguisher, you can clearly see him squeezing it several times. Very obvious it was made of Nerf. :)

MisterBubble
01-28-2006, 11:06 AM
More WoO references I don't think anyone has mentioned...

The Janitor guy mumbling "oil can" when he had something in his mouth, and having to repeat it, then Carla giving him the oil can. (Like when Dorothy first meets the Tin Man and realized he's alive)

Dr. Cox in wizard mode, trying to wash off his green munchkin where you see his shadow and he says: "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

What a FUN episode! (not that there's ever been a "not-fun" Scrubs!)
:up:

DevdogAZ
01-28-2006, 04:15 PM
More WoO references I don't think anyone has mentioned...

The Janitor guy mumbling "oil can" when he had something in his mouth, and having to repeat it, then Carla giving him the oil can. (Like when Dorothy first meets the Tin Man and realized he's alive)

Dr. Cox in wizard mode, trying to wash off his green munchkin where you see his shadow and he says: "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

What a FUN episode! (not that there's ever been a "not-fun" Scrubs!)
:up:
The Oil Can scene was already mentioned and I figured the curtain scene was so obvious it didn't need mentioning. ;)

Having said that, let me be the first to say, "Welcome to the forum!"

MisterBubble
01-28-2006, 04:42 PM
The Oil Can scene was already mentioned and I figured the curtain scene was so obvious it didn't need mentioning. ;)

Having said that, let me be the first to say, "Welcome to the forum!"

Oops! Someone DID mention the oil can... sorry I somehow missed that post! And thanks for the welcome... :) I've actually been reading the forums here for a few months and finally got up the "courage" to post. "Cowardly Carla" would be proud!

Scrubs has really grown on me lately to become one of my favorite shows. I actually didn't watch it much the first couple of years because their initial promos with all the weird slapstick gross-out humor turned me off. Now I've bought Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD so I can catch up!

Tanya
01-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Payback is a bitch!

Dr. Cox dancing to the church choir was hysterical!

dbranco
01-30-2006, 06:56 AM
Is there any "confirmation" anywhere that Zach Braff sang "Over The Rainbow" at the end? $20 hangs in the line (I think it IS; my friend thinks it ISN'T).

Thanks,
Deb

Rangers4me
01-30-2006, 08:35 AM
Is there any "confirmation" anywhere that Zach Braff sang "Over The Rainbow" at the end? $20 hangs in the line (I think it IS; my friend thinks it ISN'T).

Thanks,
Deb

I'm nearly 100% sure that it was Ted. If you see Ted's band on the roof in the background the rest of the guys are singing/playing background music and Ted is singing the words to the song.

NoThru22
01-30-2006, 08:40 AM
It sounded like Ted to me. As far as I can tell, it's always him singing when he's in that quartet. I would be willing to bet that the recurring came about because the actor sings (or did) in a real quarter.

"Baby On Board." :D :D :D (anyone get that reference?)

The Flush
01-30-2006, 09:46 AM
It sounded like Ted to me. As far as I can tell, it's always him singing when he's in that quartet. I would be willing to bet that the recurring came about because the actor sings (or did) in a real quarter.

"Baby On Board." :D :D :D (anyone get that reference?)

The Simpsons

DevdogAZ
01-30-2006, 03:29 PM
It's been talked about many times in these Scrubs threads that it is a real quartet that Sam Lloyd sings in and that's why they appear occasionally on the show. They're called "The Blanks" and more info on them can be found at http://www.theblankswebsite.com/

However, I really don't think it was Sam singing that final song. I may be wrong, but I really didn't think it sounded "good enough" to be Sam and I thought it sounded much more like Zach.

FlWingNut
01-30-2006, 04:28 PM
A couple things:

Did a previous episode end with Colin Hay singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow?

I also remember an episode where JD mentioned a high school production of WoO and he had played Dorothy.

I think the song Colin Hay sang was a stripped down version of his Men At Work hit "It's A Mistake." And I remember he was actually there with his guitar waiting outside the hospital.

busyba
01-30-2006, 04:31 PM
I think the song Colin Hay sang was a stripped down version of his Men At Work hit "It's A Mistake." And I remember he was actually there with his guitar waiting outside the hospital.

"Overkill", actually.

IndyJones1023
01-30-2006, 04:41 PM
"Overkill", actually.
Incredibly good song. One of my all time faves.

busyba
01-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Incredibly good song. One of my all time faves.
When I heard Overkill on Scrubs, it made me look into Colin Hay again. Turns out he's been quite prolific as a solo artist in the years since Men At Work. And he tours! I caught him live on Long Island about 2 years ago. It was a great show.

And, of course, he has a website (http://colinhay.com/enter/index.html).

8krpm
02-01-2006, 11:55 PM
"Overkill", actually.

Colin Hay has had at least 3 songs on other episodes. The acoustic versions of "Overkill" and "Beautiful World" are on the Scrubs Soundtrack CD. It's an awesome CD, by the way.

ronsch
02-28-2006, 09:56 PM
It's been talked about many times in these Scrubs threads that it is a real quartet that Sam Lloyd sings in and that's why they appear occasionally on the show. They're called "The Blanks" and more info on them can be found at http://www.theblankswebsite.com/

However, I really don't think it was Sam singing that final song. I may be wrong, but I really didn't think it sounded "good enough" to be Sam and I thought it sounded much more like Zach.

The last one sounded the same as the version at the end of 50 First Dates.