PDA

View Full Version : TyShow Causes Problem w/Digital Copyright Protection & Other ?

ddrumer
01-23-2006, 08:56 AM
So here's my Problem. I just got a Gateway Laptop for School running XP MCE 2005. I have been toubleshooting a problem with WMP though. Everytime I play a dvd using WMP 10 i get a message that there was a problem with the Digital Media Protection Copyright thingy. Well i was about to reformat and start over when i decided to unregister the .ty extension with WMP (I just ran the unregister.bat). After this every thing works fine and i can play my dvd. Anyone got an Idea as to what i can do short of registering/unregistering eveytime i want to view the different filetypes?

Also, i have searched for hours trying to find a reason why Tyshow wont work for me outside of my LAN. I can access and play the .ty files from the tyshow link in TWP. However, when accessing remotely WMP just times out. Is this b/c of my 128k upload on my DSL line? (Stop laughing, I'm 21 and is all i can afford on my own right now :) )

classicsat
01-23-2006, 03:55 PM
Use VLC to view ty files, or mux them into proper MPEG.

ddrumer
01-23-2006, 09:48 PM
i really wanted to use the "view" link in TWP for ease of use. Is the upload my other problem as far as anyone can tell?

Gunnyman
01-23-2006, 09:50 PM
128 kbps up is way low for streaming remotely.

ddrumer
01-23-2006, 11:24 PM
recommend a speed? i have bellsouth dsl, thinking about Up to 3 Mbps/
384 Kbps down. good enough maybe. its the most i can afford. if no one thinks it will work i won't bother dealing with Bellsouth. (Its worse that DTV * :) )

Diana Collins
01-24-2006, 06:43 AM
384 is way too slow for ty file streaming. You'll need LOTS of upstream bandwidth to stream a ty file in anything close to realtime (a couple of megabits per second, minimum).

If you want to stream to a remote viewer you'd need something like Slingbox - it can just barely produce an acceptable picture at 384K (512K or better is recommended).

ddrumer
01-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Nothing thats available in this area! Gotcha!! Thanks. No one has any clue why I'm experiencing the other problem?

Diana Collins
01-24-2006, 09:35 AM
The DRM implementation in WMP 10 is pretty restrictive. It is probably checking for DRM support on all registered codecs, and not finding one associated with ty files. Only suggestions I have is to either use mplayer for ty files and not bother with WMP (that's what I do) or transcode the ty files to mpeg files.

ddrumer
01-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Ok, i get it. I just wanted my media library in one place. I have MCE and that is unaffected so i will probably use that. THanks for the help

Gunnyman
01-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Media Player Classic is all I used for Ty file play bac on my PC. Sleek, small, free :D

cheer
01-25-2006, 07:57 AM
Just a note...bandwidth may not be your only problem when playing remotely.

When you play a video from TWP, you're using vserver to stream it. vserver uses a particular port; if you don' t have that forwarded to the IP address of your Tivo it won't work. (IIRC it's TCP 8881.)

ddrumer
01-25-2006, 02:09 PM
That is probably it. (the port i mean) My train of thought was that no matter the upload speed it would be doable. The problem would be in the quality, usability. With my upload it is about a 15 on the 1-10 aggravation scale!!

thanks,

ddrumer