PDA

View Full Version : Would I like Babylon 5?

mitchb2
01-18-2006, 08:05 PM
I've never seen it. But now, after 6 months of watching all of SG-1 and Atlantis from the beginning, I want another scifi show to watch with my kids.

I'd rewatch Farscape, but there was too much sexual stuff to watch with my boys (7 and 8).

If I like Stargate, Enterprise, Battlestar, Space: Above and Beyond, Invasion, Surface, Lost...would I like Babylon?

dylking
01-18-2006, 08:09 PM
I would think you would...if you can muddle through the first season. Like any show, 'tis a bit (or, in some cases more than a bit) uneven.

I just finished re-watching it, and watching it back to back like that helped showcase how seeds that were sown in Season One came to fruition in season 5.

So, if you like stories that take a long time to tell, definately! The effects may seem a bit dated now, with the upgrades that exist, but it's more about the story for me anyway :)

WinBear
01-18-2006, 08:33 PM
It's a very good story arc with some interesting characters. There are some heavy concepts, but it shouldn't be too 'adult' for that age.

darthrsg
01-18-2006, 09:19 PM
no

busyba
01-18-2006, 09:21 PM
yes

mportuesi
01-18-2006, 09:37 PM
B5 is probably closest to Battlestar Galactica in terms of format and structure, if not story. If you like BSG, chances are you will like B5 as well. The story is long, continuous and is told through all five seasons of the show. There aren't any explicit sex scenes, nor anything overtly sexual.

Keep in mind the effects will look dated by today's standards. However, B5 was the first television series to do its effects 100% digital.

Also, it takes a while for the series to hit its stride. Don't judge it by the first few episodes. But by the end of season 1, enough of the story is established that you should be hooked.

Don't watch any of the B5 made-for-TV movies before seeing the series. The movies contain major spoilers. Watch the series first, then the movies.

kiljoy
01-18-2006, 09:50 PM
I didn't.

Loved, loved, LOVED Deep Space Nine though.

Tony

windracer
01-18-2006, 10:15 PM
:up: :up:

I've got the complete first season on DVD. I still love watching "Babylon Squared."

alyssa
01-18-2006, 10:42 PM
I'd even suggest picking up the second season & skiping the 1st until you're hooked.

I'd watch it with my 6 year old *if* I thought he'd sit still for it. I will introduce him to it when I think he'll be able to follow the long plot lines. But actually it's a great show to talk about the choices people make & the fact those decisions don't always make for a happy ending but it was still the right choice.

yeah, perhaps I've had a bit to much wine to be posting but in a word:
Yes, to my mind B5 is the yard stick I mesure all other sci-fi shows against.

murgatroyd
01-18-2006, 10:59 PM
Depends entirely upon how patient you are for things to develop (as people above have said).

I was quickly hooked by the performances the cast members were giving, so I was watching despite some not-so-wonderful episodes in Season One. However, you do need those episodes for setup eventually, so even if you decide to plunge in at Season Two as alyssa suggests, you'll need to watch Season One sometime to get the background.

My take on the pilot was that it was fine if you already knew all the characters and the background of the show, not so hot for introducing everyone. Be prepared to absorb a lot of information on the fly.

Jan

busyba
01-18-2006, 11:16 PM
If you do decide to watch it, you almost certainly should read the Lurkers Guide as well.

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/lurker.html

Particularly the "episodes" section. There's fantastic insight and analysis in there, as well as commentary from "The Great Maker" JMS.

vikingguy
01-18-2006, 11:43 PM
If you can make it to the first season finale you should be hooked. I was iffy on the show till that episode and that was the begining of the greatness. B5 in its 5 years produced some mind blowing episodes that took years to develop.

gchance
01-19-2006, 01:18 AM
Some of you guys's suggestions are amazing.

Skip S1 until you're hooked? That's like telling someone not to read the first few chapters of a book until they read later ones.

Yes, you will like Babylon 5. You will hear people say it doesn't pick up until the middle of the 2nd season but they are dead wrong. There are seemingly throwaway tidbits in the first season that you only realize how important they are later.

Two words: character development.

At any rate, after 10 years, Babylon 5 is still my favorite TV show of all time.

Greg

busyba
01-19-2006, 01:25 AM
I don't think anyone suggested skipping S1. I think they suggested that one should defer judgement until one has at least gotten through S1, since a lot of the S1 episodes, while very important story-wise, are a little on the weak side.

It would be a shame to give up on the series halfway through S1 because it really does get significantly better.

edit: okay... one person did suggest that. I can't say that I agree. :)

vikingguy
01-19-2006, 01:26 AM

Skip S1 until you're hooked? That's like telling someone not to read the first few chapters of a book until they read later ones.

Yes, you will like Babylon 5. You will hear people say it doesn't pick up until the middle of the 2nd season but they are dead wrong. There are seemingly throwaway tidbits in the first season that you only realize how important they are later.

Two words: character development.

At any rate, after 10 years, Babylon 5 is still my favorite TV show of all time.

Greg

Could not agree B5 had the best character development of any TV I have ever seen. By the end of the series you will be amazed just how much the characters have grown and changed.

mportuesi
01-19-2006, 12:10 PM

I do agree with you. I watched this show as it originally aired, and after the first two or three episodes I almost gave up on the series - slow pacing, iffy acting.

By the latter half of the first season, the problems with pacing and acting had been fixed. The characters were fleshed out more, pieces of the larger story were being set in place, and the "hooks" were there that left me wondering what was going to happen next.

By the end of the first season, I was definitely looking forward to the second. And from then on, the episodes couldn't air fast enough.

So I still recommend starting from season 1, episode 1, knowing that you might sit through a clunker here and there. There are developments in season 1 that are important to the overall story - especially "Babyon Squared" (which doesn't get its proper conclusion until two seasons later, if I recall correctly).

busyba
01-19-2006, 12:46 PM
There are developments in season 1 that are important to the overall story - especially "Babyon Squared" (which doesn't get its proper conclusion until two seasons later, if I recall correctly).

"B-Squared" is S1E20 (or 22 if you count the pilot).

The "flip side" of that episode is S3E16... 40 episodes later :eek:.

murgatroyd
01-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Time to toss the bomb. :D

I watched B5 on broadcast and loved it. Another friend watched it in daily syndication and hated it.

(The same friend reports that of the people she knows, all of us who watched Buffy Season 6 via broadcast hated it, but her friends who are watching Buffy on DVD loved it and say it's the best season of all. Go figure.)

Be aware that how you watch the show can greatly affect the way you like it. In my case I remember the tremendous suspense, waiting week to week to find out what was going to happen next. I'm not necessarily saying that everyone watching on DVD do the same, but for a first viewing, it might be better to restrict yourself to one episode a day vs. sucking down several episodes at once.

On the other hand, if you are impatient for the story to get going, it might be better to watch episodes in clumps. It's up to the individual viewer, so give some thought as to what kind of viewer you are and view accordingly.

Jan

Skippy18
01-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Yes you would enjoy B5. I thought it was a great sci-fi show and like everyone else is saying, you have to give the first season a chance. DH said after watching the series 2nd time through, he said the first season made a lot more sense and there was a lot of foreshadowing done. Now if the end of the series leaves you thirsty for more, there's a few good trilogies out there to read.

alyssa
01-19-2006, 02:24 PM
I don't think anyone suggested skipping S1. I think they suggested that one should defer judgement until one has at least gotten through S1, since a lot of the S1 episodes, while very important story-wise, are a little on the weak side.

It would be a shame to give up on the series halfway through S1 because it really does get significantly better.

Thank you

Just for the record I was not suggesting the OP skip S1-just watch a few (half doz or so) eps of S2 to see if they'd like the show. It'd be a shame to buy the DVD's of S1 & not buy S2 because the S1 was a bit slow.

I finally got into B5 when it was playing on TNT, started in season 2, then I watched 3,4,5, and then 1,2,3,4,5. I have to say the second time round was a lot more interesting.

windracer
01-19-2006, 02:35 PM
In my case I remember the tremendous suspense, waiting week to week to find out what was going to happen next.
Same here ... the episodes always seemed to end too quickly, leaving you shouting "nooooooo!" in your living room. :)

Remember how horrible it was when Warner Brothers decided not to renew and it was unknown if Season 5 was even going to happen? Thank God TNT came to the rescue ...

edit: correction, it was WB that dropped it, not UPN, right?

teresa222
01-19-2006, 02:38 PM
When was it shown on TNT? I watched all of the 1st season and part of of the 2nd on DVD. (Netflix) but now I have my tivo so I would love to catch it on cable in reruns! I wonder if it's returning anytime soon?

windracer
01-19-2006, 02:42 PM
When was it shown on TNT?
This was back in '98 ... the original airing of the series.

I think SciFi re-runs them now periodically.

JakeyB
01-19-2006, 02:57 PM
It was an enjoyable show, but I never got into it like some of the posters here. The overall plot was interesting, but the dialogue was not what I personally would call spectacular. I watched them all on DVD up until the midway of season 5 and just never really cared to finish it. The major plot lines are wrapped up by the end of season 4 and I just never cared about the smaller stuff to finish 5.

kjnorman
01-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Yes, its a good show. It is the first show I was able to get into when I got my TiVo in 2000. It is a show that definately needs to be viewed in episodic order, but it will reward you for it.

My wife even watched it twice!

lordargent
01-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Skipping season 1 would be a mistake IMO. Although there are a lot of one shot episodes, you're basically getting to know the main characters, until the first inklings of something bigger start to show up (signs and portents).

/Mr Garibaldi

/The first episode of B5 I ever watched, about 5 or so years ago, was Soul Hunter. From that episode, I chalked B5 up as low budget sci-fi. But last year, I threw it on netflix and gave it a second chance, and I loved it.

dylking
01-19-2006, 08:10 PM

It was the PTEN distribution network that dropped it - it was syndicated, till TNT picked up season 5...

windracer
01-19-2006, 09:10 PM
It was the PTEN distribution network that dropped it - it was syndicated, till TNT picked up season 5...
Ah, that's right! One of those short lived networks ... ;)

gchance
01-19-2006, 11:57 PM
Same here ... the episodes always seemed to end too quickly, leaving you shouting "nooooooo!" in your living room. :)

Remember how horrible it was when Warner Brothers decided not to renew and it was unknown if Season 5 was even going to happen? Thank God TNT came to the rescue ...

B5 almost ended when PTEN went under. Remember the "PTEN Action Pack"? Kung Fu: The Next Generation? Time Trax?

My local affiliate started pulling a bunch of crap during the end of the 4th season, to the point where a good friend of mine actually missed a pivotal episode (2nd to last for the 4th season, the one designed to be a series finale in the event they couldn't find a way to do a 5th season). Before finding out about the TNT deal, it was freaky what was happening, so my friend called the station to complain about the off-hours they were playing it (early Sunday morning, 2am). Their answer? "It's been cancelled, so there's no audience. Viewers want Hercules & Xena instead."

BURN IN HELL CHANNEL 24!

Of course, TNT rescued it for the 5th season. The credits for the final 4th season episode was a slap in the face to every critic that said it couldn't be done. I'll leave it to you to watch to see exactly what it says, but it brought a tear to my eye at the time.

I do agree though that HOW you watch it affects your view of it. During its original run it was syndicated, so stations played it when they wanted. It got pre-empted for sports events, news, played at off-hours, and the season breaks were horrible. Nowadays an 8-month break is common, but back then? Oh man, it was terrible... I was just going to say "especially after the <enter season here> finale" but I couldn't finish the sentence because I experienced it EVERY season.

Greg

JMikeD
01-20-2006, 02:15 AM
There aren't any explicit sex scenes, nor anything overtly sexual.

Well, there is that scene between Lyta and Byron.......

bobbi
01-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Babylon 5 is absolutely fantastic, and the suggestion to take advantage of the lurkers guide as you watch is a good one.

Start at ep 1, muddle through the first season (it may be painful at times...although there are some really good episodes, even in the first season), you NEED the character development from the first season for the second.

The first and the last seasons are kind of weak, but if you like science fiction, you'll adore everything in between. I'll even argue that some of the movies aren't bad. :)

goman
01-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Season 1 was too painful for me to continue watching. I guess I could see it could have potential but the acting IMO is so bad that I deleting it off my Netflix Q.

I loved BSG and Lost from the beginning. Why should we muddle through a distaster of a season? If that is all it is?

murgatroyd
01-20-2006, 01:11 PM
I loved BSG and Lost from the beginning. Why should we muddle through a distaster of a season? If that is all it is?

Having watched the pilot episode twice, once when it first aired, then after Season 1, here's my opinion.

The first time I saw the pilot, I thought it was awful.
After watching Season 1, I said "hey -- this isn't as a bad as I remembered it".

So what changed in between those two times?

1) I got used to the Babylon 5 way of doing things, and didn't think something was 'bad' just because it wasn't the way they did it on some other show and

2) I knew all the characters and more about the universe, so the events in the pilot had more meaning

Part of the difficulty with the pilot AND with Season 1 is simply that JMS isn't as adept at introducing characters and his universe as well as some other people (e.g. Joss Whedon).

It's a particular skill, writing a good opening, and not all writers have it.

There are some stinker episodes in S1, but as a whole, it plays much better on a re-viewing than it does on the first run. The viewer can see and appreciate the things which are needed to set up events in later (sometimes MUCH later) episodes.

Jan

busyba
01-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Having watched the pilot episode twice, once when it first aired, then after Season 1, here's my opinion.

The first time I saw the pilot, I thought it was awful.
After watching Season 1, I said "hey -- this isn't as a bad as I remembered it".

So what changed in between those two times?

1) I got used to the Babylon 5 way of doing things, and didn't think something was 'bad' just because it wasn't the way they did it on some other show and

2) I knew all the characters and more about the universe, so the events in the pilot had more meaning
Also, once you've watched the entire series and know the whole story, watching S1 episodes is a bit of an easter egg hunt, looking for all the foreshadowing (pun intended ;)).

murgatroyd
01-20-2006, 01:19 PM

Just wanted to go back to say: given what networks were mentioned in your post, perhaps you were thinking of Crusade?

Note to those who didn't see it: Crusade suffered mightily by the network mucking with it -- the airing order was not quite as bad as Firefly, but bad enough.

One wonders what might have been, had JMS been allowed to present the series as he intended....

Jan

JediCowboyD
01-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Some people love Babylon 5. Some people do not love Babylon 5. . . . This? . . . This is wrong tool.

mportuesi
01-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Well, there is that scene between Lyta and Byron.......

Ooops!. A 5th season episode. Haven't got there yet re-watching the series on DVD, so I missed that one.

Crrink
01-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Some people love Babylon 5. Some people do not love Babylon 5. . . . This? . . . This is wrong tool.
Hehe, I think that was about my favorite line of the whole series.

gchance
01-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Hehe, I think that was about my favorite line of the whole series.

RIP Tim Choate...

http://babylon5.mvanek.cz/img_pub/phpfcWlRS.jpeghttp://www.angelfire.com/scifi/zathrasonb5/images/timsports_sm2.jpg

RIP Richard Biggs.
http://members.aye.net/~gharris/blog/RichardBiggs.jpg

RIP Babylon 5
http://www.midwinter.com/b5/Pictures/Effects/station8.jpg

Greg

windracer
01-20-2006, 11:58 PM
That last image was my Windows wallpaper for quite a while back in the mid 90s. :up:

mitchb2
01-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks, everyone. I've watched the first 5 episodes so far.
(Is "Midnight on the Firing Line" the pilot?)

I'm not in love with it, but I will stick with it. The acting is just bad, and the production design (with all its neon and purple lighting) is cheesy.

The commander is a cliche cartoon character. :-)

But, if I'd judged Buffy by its first season, I would have missed out on one of the greatest shows of all time.

So far, I don't really like or care about any of the characters, but I suspect G'kar will grow on me.

windracer
01-22-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm not in love with it, but I will stick with it.

Reflection, surprise, terror. For the future.

The story (and the characters) get better. When Mordred shows up, well ... let's just leave it at that. ;)

JediCowboyD
01-22-2006, 01:09 PM
(Is "Midnight on the Firing Line" the pilot?)

No. It's the first episode of season 1 but there's a introductory movie that served as the pilot called "The Gathering" before that. When you hear references in Season 1 about someone trying to murder Ambassador Kosh, that's where it happened.

The Gathering was a pilot movie and some of the cast is different, even the major characters. But one does return in an important role later . . .

Here's the order:

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/reference/episodes.html

murgatroyd
01-22-2006, 02:12 PM
No. It's the first episode of season 1 but there's a introductory movie called "The Gathering" before that. When you hear references in Season 1 about someone trying to murder Ambassador Kosh, that's where it happened.

The Gathering was a pilot movie and some of the cast is different, even the major characters. But one does return in an important role later . . .

Here's the order:

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/reference/episodes.html

Now I'm wondering if I have "The Gathering" on DVD or not, and which version it is.

<FX: checks database>

Oh, that's right, it was included in "Babylon 5: The Movie Collection" (along with In the Beginning / Thirdspace / The River of Souls / A Call to Arms, but NOT The Legend of the Rangers, which is due out in March this year).

Which version of "The Gathering" is on DVD -- the original broadcast, or the later one which was tweaked to be more what JMS wanted?

When I clicked on the link for the Gathering on the page you linked to, it says:
Note: There are two versions of "The Gathering," the original one as initially aired in 1993 and a reedited special edition first aired in 1998. Items that only apply to one version are so marked.

But it's not clear to me from the information on that page which version is on which release of the DVDs.

Do you remember?

Jan

mportuesi
01-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Which version of "The Gathering" is on DVD -- the original broadcast, or the later one which was tweaked to be more what JMS wanted?

I have a DVD version of "The Gathering"/"In The Beginning." It's the JMS "writers/producers cut" version, not the original broadcast.

I'm pretty sure the original broadcast cut of "The Gathering" is not available on DVD in any form. JMS did not like the original broadcast cut at all, and so I guess he wouldn't want it distributed in favor of his "preferred" cut.

murgatroyd
01-22-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm pretty sure the original broadcast cut of "The Gathering" is not available on DVD in any form. JMS did not like the original broadcast cut at all, and so I guess he wouldn't want it distributed in favor of his "preferred" cut.

There's no doubt in my mind about wht JMS would WANT.

However, what actually happens in the DVD production is not always the same as what the creators want. :(

Thus my question.

Jan

gchance
01-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Reflection, surprise, terror. For the future.

The story (and the characters) get better. When Mordred shows up, well ... let's just leave it at that. ;)

Morden...

What do you want?

Greg

mrmike
01-22-2006, 09:31 PM
...like this: <wave>

JediCowboyD
01-22-2006, 11:05 PM
I have a DVD version of "The Gathering"/"In The Beginning."

The only caveat with that disk for newcomers is don't watch "In the Beginning" until after Season 4 - it's a great movie but it gives away much about what the heck is going on (and what will be) that should be a surprise as the first 4 seasons unfold.

murgatroyd
01-23-2006, 12:12 PM
That last image was my Windows wallpaper for quite a while back in the mid 90s. :up:

I had an add-on package for my Win95 box that had wallpapers and sound. The windows-open sound was the B5 door-opening chime, etc.

For shutdown I had Londo saying "Now it is time for YOU to go away." :up:

Jan

mportuesi
01-23-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm not in love with it, but I will stick with it. The acting is just bad, and the production design (with all its neon and purple lighting) is cheesy.

The commander is a cliche cartoon character. :-)

The acting gets better as the season progresses. You will have to learn to overlook the production design (but appreciate the costume design instead - there's some really wonderful costume work in the series).

I'm not giving away too much by saying that the Season 1 commander is replaced at the beginning of Season 2, with Bruce Boxleitner, a much better actor than Michael O'Hare.

Stick with it.

windracer
01-23-2006, 01:44 PM
I had an add-on package for my Win95 box that had wallpapers and sound. The windows-open sound was the B5 door-opening chime, etc.
I had that same package! :cool:

"Beginning hull integrity survey ..."

Sirius Black
01-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Perhaps I missed something in this thread but is B5 on TV again (syndication)? It isn't on sci-fi because my season pass is set to catch everything on that channel and I check it on a regular basis to make sure it isn't on other channels.

I enjoyed the show, started watching while it was in syndication on sci-fi. Then without warning in the middle of season 4, the show dropped out of the lineup, much like Alias has recently on TNT.

dylking
01-23-2006, 07:50 PM
For shutdown I had Londo saying "Now it is time for YOU to go away." :up:

Jan

Heh, for my "empty recycle bin", I have G'Kar saying "You no longer exist in my universe!" :)

One thing I remembered that B5 didn't do was a 'previously on B5', as BSG does today. I wonder if that would have helped drop-in viewers keep better tabs on the storyline....

gchance
01-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Heh, for my "empty recycle bin", I have G'Kar saying "You no longer exist in my universe!" :)

One thing I remembered that B5 didn't do was a 'previously on B5', as BSG does today. I wonder if that would have helped drop-in viewers keep better tabs on the storyline....

It didn't have a "previously on..." segment but JMS relied HEAVILY on B&W flashbacks, to the point of ridiculousness. I understand why it was necessary, but for an intelligent viewer it was just talking down to me:

"You're too stupid to remember why Londo is telling Vir he has a gift for him outside. We'll show you... oh, and btw, moron, you also don't know why he's about to wave!"

That pissed me off when I first saw it, I knew what was coming but they had to slap me in the face before showing it to me.

That said, again I understand the why but didn't like it is all. :)

Greg

murgatroyd
01-23-2006, 10:44 PM
The acting gets better as the season progresses. You will have to learn to overlook the production design (but appreciate the costume design instead - there's some really wonderful costume work in the series).

Anybody else see the B5 show that went around to malls? They displayed costumes, props and scenery....

We met Jeff Conaway (Zack) there. Really nice guy.

Jan

Ladd Morse
01-24-2006, 06:06 AM
"Once the avalanche has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote"

VinceA
01-24-2006, 08:52 AM
"Once the avalanche has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote"
<Pathetic B5 Geek>
The actual Kosh quote is "The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote"

http://b5.cs.uwyo.edu/bab5/snds/alavach.wav

</Pathetic B5 Geek>

.... and yes, I did have the same Windows desktop theme previously mentioned in this thread. :)

jstr
01-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Perhaps I missed something in this thread but is B5 on TV again (syndication)? It isn't on sci-fi because my season pass is set to catch everything on that channel and I check it on a regular basis to make sure it isn't on other channels. I've never seem the show, but I'm looking forward to seeing it once in2TV (http://television.aol.com/in2tv) starts showing it online. They were supposed to start operation in January 2006, but now I see it has been changed to "early 2006." I hope that means by February.

murgatroyd
01-24-2006, 12:30 PM
Perhaps I missed something in this thread but is B5 on TV again (syndication)?

B5 (except for the movie The Legend Of The Rangers, which is due to be released on 3/14/2006) is available on DVD.

Here's a link to a list of DVD releases on the website TV Shows on DVD (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releaselist.cfm?ShowID=805).

Jan

Uther
01-24-2006, 04:31 PM

I'm not giving away too much by saying that the Season 1 commander is replaced at the beginning of Season 2, with Bruce Boxleitner, a much better actor than Michael O'Hare.

Stick with it.
I liked Sinclair. I was majorly pissed when they replaced him with Scarecrow. The opening sequence with Tron's voice had me saying WTF?! But they fixed the voiceover, and everything worked out in the end.

:)

mportuesi
01-24-2006, 04:43 PM
I liked Sinclair. I was majorly pissed when they replaced him with Scarecrow.

I don't have much issue with Sinclair as a character, but I really didn't care for Michael O'Hare's portrayal. His acting felt really wooden and forced.

One of my friends who is also a B5 fan points out that the Sinclair character is supposed to be a beaten, worn-out solider who has seen it all and is actually looking to B5 as something of a reprieve, so O'Hare's portrayal actually fits the character. But I don't buy that. From where I sit, he couldn't even deliver his lines convincingly. I almost gave up on the show in Season 1 due to his acting.

In any case, I thought "Scarecrow" Boxleitner was a much better actor for a starring role.

windracer
01-24-2006, 06:32 PM
The opening sequence with Tron's voice had me saying WTF?!
"Yes, Alan-1."

:cool:

emandbri
01-25-2006, 04:02 AM
It starts off pretty tame but some of the later episodes might be too scary for the kids. There is some pretty serious torture, people scarred, stuff with dead bodies, etc.

Emily

mitchb2
01-25-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm up through 1x09, "Deathwalker," and we definitely like the show now. So now the "...for the future" quote makes sense.
I look forward to O'Hare leaving.

I'm so proud of my little SciFi boys. They know all the races of all the shows (Goa'uld, Wraith, Skaran, Delvian, and now Minbari and Vorlon). Questionable spelling on those, of course. Last night I asked my 7-year-old what the name of the Centauri ambassador was, because I'd forgotten, and he knew it.

The other day they made an SGC out of Legos, complete with Walter. :-)

JediCowboyD
01-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Meeesta Garibaldi!

Ah, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you!

When I said my quarters were cold, I did not mean, 'Oh, I think it's a little chilly in here, perhaps I'll throw a blanket on the bed.' No, I said it was COLD, as in, 'Oh, my left arm has snapped off like an icicle and shattered on the floor'! This is highly inappropriate, Captain!

gchance
01-25-2006, 10:37 AM
I don't have much issue with Sinclair as a character, but I really didn't care for Michael O'Hare's portrayal. His acting felt really wooden and forced.

I've always felt the same way. He always sounded like he was reading his lines like a newscaster.

Now Sheridan? Sheridan is my President.

Greg

mportuesi
01-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Hey, there's people reading this thread who haven't seen the entire series. Don't go giving things away.

gchance
01-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Hey, there's people reading this thread who haven't seen the entire series. Don't go giving things away.

I didn't give anything away.

Oh and I forgot, Rosebud is a sled.

Greg

mitchb2
01-26-2006, 11:08 AM
I watched "The Gathering" last night. I have to say, Sinclair's performance was much more toned down and human sounding. Not at all belting out lines the way he's doing in Season 1.
In fact, even Londo was less boisterous and more natural than he is in the series.

Does anyone else agree? Did they have different directors?

busyba
01-26-2006, 12:54 PM
In pilots in general, actor are still feeling out their characters.

Also, if I recall correctly, there was a rather sizeable period of time between the production of the pilot episode and the commencement of production of season 1 episodes, a more sizeable gap than usual. So it's not surprising that the performances in the two would have a different looks and feels.

skw
01-26-2006, 01:01 PM
I have read that the complete Babylon 5 will be coming to In2TV when it launches in "early 2006". If you go there, they can alert you when it is available.

http://television.aol.com/in2tv

Now, if we can just teach our networked TiVos to display the streams from that site, that will be cool.... Ooops, that belongs in the Underground!

VinceA
01-26-2006, 01:23 PM
In pilots in general, actor are still feeling out their characters.

Also, if I recall correctly, there was a rather sizeable period of time between the production of the pilot episode and the commencement of production of season 1 episodes, a more sizeable gap than usual. So it's not surprising that the performances in the two would have a different looks and feels.
According to the semi-official chronology:
http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/making/history.html

08/10/1992 - Filming on the pilot movie begins
02/22/1993 - TV debut of the pilot movie
04/xx/1993 - Series Pre-production starts
01/26/1994 - Series begins airing