PDA

View Full Version : Love Monkey Premiere, 1-17-06, S1E1 Spoilers

Peter000
01-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Anyone else catch this? I'm a fan of Tom Cavanagh but didn't even know about the series until about a week ago. I enjoyed it for the most part, it has promise. It felt a little too staged for me, but I still got some laughs out of it.

Also, anything shot in NYC is a bonus. :) It's fun seeing the local scenery.

Plus... Love Monkey?? How could anyone NOT watch a program with that title? :D

terpfan1980
01-17-2006, 11:31 PM
Watched, enjoyed, looking forward to a few more shows to really make a decision. For now season pass stays.

YCantAngieRead
01-17-2006, 11:50 PM
I'm going to be recording it on our second TiVo. It's up against SVU, which is going to make it a tough sell.

I haven't watched this episode yet, but I'm going to. :)

Johnny Dazzle
01-17-2006, 11:58 PM
I thought it was a fun show. I can't wait to hear some of the music they will be playing.
Season pass definately staying.

getbak
01-18-2006, 01:11 AM
So, apparently Tom Cavanagh's contract requires his character to have a best friend named Mike, and his character must get fired and lose his girlfriend/wife in the first episode of any series he stars in.

I thought it was a pretty good introduction to the characters and the situation. I'll tune in again.

grant33
01-18-2006, 06:40 AM
I enjoyed it a lot for a pilot. They're always dodgy since they have to introduce so much. It had a few laughs and showed promise. By the end I was interested to see what happens next which is obviously a good thing. I'm a huge music fan, so if they keep showing what goes on in the music industry along with the romance storylines then it could be good. I've heard they're going to have quite a few cameos from real musicians so that alone might keep me watching. I thought Teddy Geiger was pretty good as Wayne in this episode. I guess I'm old fashioned, but I agreed with what Tom said about it being "about the music" in his meeting. Maybe he and Jerry MacGuire can get together and start a music/sports conglomeration. :)

bigcb37
01-18-2006, 08:03 AM
I liekd seeing all the music landmarks in NYC...that was cool. Show has potential...wasnt the best pilot though.

EMoMoney
01-18-2006, 08:05 AM
So, apparently Tom Cavanagh's contract requires his character to have a best friend named Mike, and his character must get fired and lose his girlfriend/wife in the first episode of any series he stars in.
Some similarities, but in Ed his wife cheated on him, and he quit his job in NY, he wasn't fired. Was a big fan of Ed,and I see this being one of my favorites.

jlb
01-18-2006, 08:07 AM
The guy that played Wayne, Teddy Geiger, got signed to an actual contract long before the last night's the pilot. And guess who the contract is with....I believe Sony....and if you watched the end credits, you saw that it is produced by Sony Television. IIRC, they will be using "real" new music talent as the "acts" on the show.

http://music.aol.com/artist/main.adp?artistid=748594

So it's sort of like art imitating life.......

Either way, I liked it. Here's hoping for a Julie Bowen cameo, assuming she can get away from Boston Legal long enough to do it.......

And did anyone else that used to watch "Ed" jump up and down a bit when they said "here's the $10 bet....."?

EMoMoney
01-18-2006, 09:31 AM
And did anyone else that used to watch "Ed" jump up and down a bit when they said "here's the $10 bet....."?
I missed that part.

JakeyB
01-18-2006, 09:36 AM
Plus... Love Monkey?? How could anyone NOT watch a program with that title? :DThat's probably the main reason I'm not watching. Plus Tuesday is already crammed full of awesome shows.

trainman
01-18-2006, 01:06 PM
...and if you watched the end credits, you saw that it is produced by Sony Television.

Hmm, I wonder which record label is responsible for "The Essential Bob Dylan," as mentioned a couple of times during this episode. Hmm...

Here's hoping for a Julie Bowen cameo, assuming she can get away from Boston Legal long enough to do it......

Who needs Julie Bowen when you've got Judy Greer, who looks much better when she's not appearing on "Arrested Development"? :D

rkester
01-18-2006, 01:56 PM
I watched it (in HD) and it was OK. but didnt jump out at me as a crazy cool new show I just have to watch. Will see how it goes over the enxt 6 maybe episodes.

RoundBoy
01-18-2006, 07:38 PM
i totally did not catch the friend was gay until the 'date montoge' at the end.

My wife claims she knew... but i can't get her to tell me how she figured that one out...

The Flush
01-18-2006, 09:05 PM
i totally did not catch the friend was gay until the 'date montoge' at the end.

My wife claims she knew... but i can't get her to tell me how she figured that one out...

Well apparently there is a new law that all new shows must have a gay character, so she knew to be looking for one.

njtaz
01-18-2006, 09:26 PM
I liked Ed and Tom Cavanaugh coincidently his friend 'Mike' from Ed is going to be in a new series as well. I believe he's going to be in Courting Alex so i'm going to have to try and catch that as well.

As for the pilot I liked it and it seems to have potential so I'm looking forward to watching especially since I don't really have a 10:00 show on Tuesdays.

YCantAngieRead
01-18-2006, 11:36 PM
"Wayne" sounded alarmingly like my friend Terry, who'll toil in obscurity in the midwest because that style of music isn't all that appreciated. (I love it, though.)

He is relatively popular regionally, though. Enough to keep him busy.

gchance
01-19-2006, 12:20 AM
"Wayne" sounded like every young acoustic guitar-playing guy. They all sound the same. So unfortunately they point they kept hammering in about lasting music and modern classics dropped like a brick due to this fact.

Too bad this show is on opposite Commander in Chief. No SP for me.

Oh, and too bad they couldn't get Eric Bogosian as a regular character.

Greg

EMoMoney
01-19-2006, 12:39 AM
Too bad this show is on opposite Commander in Chief. No SP for me.
CiC is on at 9pm, Love Monkey is on at 10pm.

mmilton80
01-19-2006, 06:57 AM
Is this show going to be reshown? (my apartment flooded causing me to miss this)

WinBear
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
I watched this last night. For about 45 minutes, I was going "I don't know if I'm going to keep this show." There were a couple of things that sealed the deal for me: Tom, of course, did the right thing with respect to "Wayne" and was rewarded for it. Also, the unexpected and aforementioned 'date montage' where we found out the professional sports guy is gay. Looking back, the only clue I found was that he totally turned down the hot girl who approached their basketball game.

The biggest problem that I had was I kept confusing the gal pal and sister. Everytime Brandy was on-screen alone with Tom being sisterly, I kept thinking "isn't she supposed to be pregnant?"

Havana Brown
01-19-2006, 10:17 AM
90210 boy saying "vagina" was pretty funny. He's a short one isn't he? Other than that, I hated this show. Deleted SP.

AstroDad
01-19-2006, 12:02 PM
I was totally surprised that the sports friend was gay. I didn't gather whether his friends know it or not though. Could make for an interesting storyline if he hasn't come out to his friends yet and is trying to hide it from them.

Peter000
01-19-2006, 01:02 PM
I got the feeling that they tacked on the end, where he got hired at the new place, to change the direction of the show... from Tom managing a scrappy independent label to going to work for a scrappy small label. With a brand new love interest to boot. I wonder how much we'll see of all of the other characters in weeks to come.

WinBear
01-19-2006, 02:19 PM
It seemed to me that "Love Monkey" would have been the name of Tom's own record label company.

Maui
01-19-2006, 09:50 PM
90210 boy saying "vagina" was pretty funny. He's a short one isn't he? Other than that, I hated this show. Deleted SP.

See, I read this message this afternoon and thought to myself. She hates it which probably means I will really like it because, despite the fact that we are friends, I find our tastes in movies, tv and music rarely intersect.

And then I watched the episode tonight and you know what.

The streak continues :)

I liked the show a lot!!! Definite SP for me.

gchance
01-19-2006, 11:45 PM
CiC is on at 9pm, Love Monkey is on at 10pm.

Not in Sacramento it's not. Our CBS affiliate time-shifts one hour, news is at 10.

Greg

speedcouch
01-20-2006, 07:56 AM
I wouldn't have recorded it at all (based on the silly name), but my husband was interested in checking it out based on the previews. It was okay. A bit too full of your typical TV yuppies (like Friends), but some interesting interactions among some cliche-ish stuff. Liked that it was sort of a comedy-drama thing, instead of just comedy. Did NOT like the overused "quasi-romance" with the best friend. Why do SO many shows always have to fall back on this old formula? It's so transparent that she's hung up on him. Even made me question whether her boyfriend was just made-up.

Jason Priestly IS really short! Never watched any of his shows before (or the star, Cavanaugh either). I set a SP, but am iffy on whether it's something I will just "have" to watch every week.

Cheryl

Chandler Mike
01-20-2006, 08:30 AM
It seemed to me that "Love Monkey" would have been the name of Tom's own record label company.

I totally said that to my wife too :)

Mike

RoundBoy
01-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Oh... and I forgot to reiterate. . the DREAMY Jason Preistly is in it..

Well .. dreamy until he got into that high speed auto racing accident and broke his face in multiple places and has become an unrecognizable shell of his former self..

He looks more like the brother of JP .. or maybe a cousin.

ScottE22
01-20-2006, 10:05 AM
I totally said that to my wife too :)

Mike

Same here - I think I missed the whole premise of the show... I thought he got fired from the Mega Label and went out and started his own. :confused: Of course, that may still be coming, but I fully expected him to turn down the job at the smaller label...

BTW - there was a lot of dialog that I didn't follow... How exactly did he know the guy who ultimately hired him at the small label? I wasn't 100% clear on that...

EMoMoney
01-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Oh... and I forgot to reiterate. . the DREAMY Jason Preistly is in it..
Dreamy? Don't you mean Portly?

rockislandmike
01-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Huh, mixed reviews I see. I watched it Monday night here in Canada on Global, and instantly decided it was by far the best pilot to any show I've seen in the past few years.

I loved the characters, I loved the music, I instantly moved my SP up in priority to #3 and told my wife she HAD to watch it when it tivo'd on Tuesday in its regular CBS slot (there are two other shows on at the same time in GLobal's Monday night slot that we also watch, which just happen to be #1 and #2 on the SP list - weird huh).

EMoMoney
01-21-2006, 10:19 PM
I just watched it again with my wife, and his female friend Bran, said, "so here's the $10 question."

Also, did anybody else look up the word feckless?

feckless \FEK-lis\, adjective:
1. Ineffective; having no real worth or purpose.
2. Worthless; irresponsible; generally incompetent and ineffectual.

YCantAngieRead
01-21-2006, 11:28 PM
I just watched it again with my wife, and his female friend Bran, said, "so here's the $10 question."

Also, did anybody else look up the word feckless?

feckless \FEK-lis\, adjective:
1. Ineffective; having no real worth or purpose.
2. Worthless; irresponsible; generally incompetent and ineffectual.
I actually knew what it was when she said it.

Doesn't really say much good about me that I understood her. :D

5thcrewman
01-22-2006, 05:08 PM
I actually knew what it was when she said it.

Doesn't really say much good about me that I understood her. :D
It doesn't make you ineffable!

getbak
01-22-2006, 05:37 PM
It doesn't make you ineffable!

"I'm not 'F'-able?!?"

Mr. Soze
01-22-2006, 06:04 PM
Too soon to say if I will watch it, but Mrs. S. gave it the thumbs up.
I thought it was mostly formulaic. Some pure Jerry McGuire stuff,
Wayne = Cush. The gay friend was a mild twist. We'll see, but needs improvement.

dswallow
01-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Up until he did the right thing with Wayne, I was planning to say goodbye to the season pass (though was definitely planning to see who Wayne really was or who provided the music -- so very glad to find he's a real musician and it's not voiceover, and that he's really good). I generally like how they took the story after he did that, though, so I'll continue watching.

mike_k
01-23-2006, 11:13 PM
BTW - there was a lot of dialog that I didn't follow... How exactly did he know the guy who ultimately hired him at the small label? I wasn't 100% clear on that...

Just watched it. Not bad, will keep the SP for now. Tom used to work with small-label guy (Jeff?) until small-label guy left to start his own company. He's the guy with the girlfriend that the guy at the big label company was sleeping with.

Looking forward to LeAnn Rimes tomorrow night.

DaveBogart
01-24-2006, 09:46 AM
I loved Ed right from the start. This show lacks something Ed didn't; not sure what. I waste too much time watching TV already, so I see no need in trying to force myself into liking this show by continuing to watch it, therefore I've seen my last Love Monkey.

ovr8ted
01-24-2006, 10:26 AM
It's a cute show that might blossom into something worthy of "must see tv". Right now, I'll record and watch on lazy days.

The formula is a bit played out, but really, aren't most shows these days?

ToddAtl
01-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Watched it finally last night and loved it. By far the best new hour long show I have seen on any of the networks this season. May even watch the next episode live...

DreadPirateRob
01-24-2006, 05:36 PM
I liked it. Of course, I have a strictly platonic man-crush on Tom Cavanagh, so I'd probably watch it even if it sucked. Thankfully, it didn't - it actually looks promising (though I hate the title).

justapixel
01-24-2006, 09:06 PM
After seeing it, I'm convinced now I'm a huge Tom Cavanagh fan. I loved him in Ed, but I loved everybody in Ed (except for Carole, uh) and he was lost in the shuffle a bit.

He shines in this show, and the premiere was promising. Due to a conflict, I even have to give up Scrubs to see it, and I will!

(Okay, not really, that will go on the upstairs TiVo, but still.....I'd might not actually walk up the stairs. ;))