PDA

View Full Version : HR10-250 Now or wait?

CurtE
01-10-2006, 09:01 AM
I got a Sony HD monitor over the holidays. I'm now trying to decide what to do about HD programing? No real choice for cable (small local cable company). I've been a D* customer since 1995.

Should I get the HR10-250 now or wait for the new mpeg4 receiver? My local TV market (Greenville-Spartanburg, SC) is 35th on the Nielsen rankings. Also, I'm probably on the fringe (30 to 40 miles) for OTA. I do know that the local Radio Shack can receive HD via OTA with just the "rabbit ear" type of HD/OTA?

If I do get the HR10-250, is it best to order from D* or a retailer (and self install)? Would the D* install include the costs for the OTA and new multiplexer? I currently have a PhaseIII dish feeding a DTivo (SAT-60) and two other standard receivers. The 4 coax from the dish run to a central point - from there I have 3 coax and 2 CAT-5 running to all possible TV/receiver locations...so, cables/wires should not be an issue. I also have two spare coax running from the attic to the basement (central point).

With OTA HD locals, will the receiver still get the SD locals?

Sorry for the long post with many questions. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

thepackfan
01-10-2006, 09:44 AM
As for reception of OTA You could check it with your regular tv if you receive a signal thru an antenna even if its snowy you should be able to get a clear digital signal. The HR10-250 is a solid unit and I don't regret buying either of mine. I would buy one ,If I was you, but that is your choice. (there should be an low cost upgrade path when your city HD comes on). You still receive all your SD locals if you get the HDTivo unless you cancel them which I read that some people do.

Guindalf
01-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Most of your questions can be answered with a simple "Yes". Go to antennaweb.org and enter your details to see the recommendations for HD in your area. I'm about 50 miles south of you (Toccoa) and I know I can't get any OTA content from GSP or ATL, but I still have the HR10 and love it.

If you order from D*, they will insist on installing and should install a new multiplexer and dish if needed. Installation is free. They will also supply an OTA antenna for $50 (but you can negotiate). If your local RadioShrek can get OTA then so should you! This is another question the installer can answer for you - either by previous knowledge or by connecting the antenna and testing it. If no OTA, you can tell him to take it back and get D* to credit you the 50 bucks.

It's probably going to be another 2 years or so (but don't quote me) before you get the MPEG4 locals, so you'll at least get that out of the HD DVR.

HogarthNH
01-10-2006, 10:41 AM
It's probably going to be another 2 years or so (but don't quote me) before you get the MPEG4 locals, so you'll at least get that out of the HD DVR.

Quoting you. You're grossly misinformed.
If he's in Market #35, he should have MPEG4 locals before July.

Regardless, I love the HR10-250. I'd buy one now, and consider upgrading when offered.

H

newsposter
01-10-2006, 12:41 PM
You can use the hdtivo as a stepping stone to a free mpeg 4 dvr. If that interests you.

As an aside question: I wonder what in the world they are doing with all those 3lnb dishs they take down for mpeg4?

Guindalf
01-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Quoting you. You're grossly misinformed.
If he's in Market #35, he should have MPEG4 locals before July.

Regardless, I love the HR10-250. I'd buy one now, and consider upgrading when offered.

H

Yes, but how long before they get to swap out for the HD DVRs? I read a statement saying it would take AT LEAST two years to swap them all out! (now where's that smiley blowing a raspberry?) :D

ljsss
01-10-2006, 02:03 PM
I am also somewhat in this boat. I am in the Birmingham, AL market (we are not in the top 36). I think I can get all of my locals OTA. I have looked at all of my options for HD (cable to Dish to DirecTV). I have been a DirecTivo customer for 3 years and couldn't imagine watching TV any other way! The thing that really makes me want to stay with a Tivo unit is the "dual live buffers" (this is one of my favorite features on my Tivo). As far as I can tell, no other provider offers that except for Tivo.

Having said all of that, I have just about decided to get the HR10-250 and get my locals OTA. I want to make sure that I get a HR10-250 before D* quits selling them. Don't I have at least three or four months before they quit selling them?

Also, I am assuming that if I buy the HR10-250 and get my locals OTA, then I will be set indefinitely (in other words, that set-up should last me until I decide to upgrade). MPEG-4 should have no effect on me. Is this correct?

Thanks to all on this board for your input!!

HogarthNH
01-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Having said all of that, I have just about decided to get the HR10-250 and get my locals OTA. I want to make sure that I get a HR10-250 before D* quits selling them. Don't I have at least three or four months before they quit selling them?

Also, I am assuming that if I buy the HR10-250 and get my locals OTA, then I will be set indefinitely (in other words, that set-up should last me until I decide to upgrade). MPEG-4 should have no effect on me. Is this correct?

Correct on both points.
The HR20-250 will not be out until at least April 1 and the HR10-250 should continue to happily record SD DirecTV and OTA HD for years to come.

(That is to say, D* tends to merely deprecate hardware, rather than forcibly turn off, and then migrate people to the new stuff as hardware fails. All the owners of UltimateTV units can attest to that.)

H

HogarthNH
01-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Yes, but how long before they get to swap out for the HD DVRs? I read a statement saying it would take AT LEAST two years to swap them all out! (now where's that smiley blowing a raspberry?) :D

When the last market won't be up until late 2007.. and they won't swap you until your market is live with MPEG4.. hrm...

The swap will begin relatively soon after the HR20 is available. I promise you that.

H

ljsss
01-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Although, now that I think about it, I will lose the ability to record things like ESPN and Discovery in HD, right? Any idea how long that will be? (When they change the ESPNs of the world to MPEG-4)?

Guindalf
01-10-2006, 04:22 PM
When the last market won't be up until late 2007.. and they won't swap you until your market is live with MPEG4.. hrm...

The swap will begin relatively soon after the HR20 is available. I promise you that.

H

Yeah, but the key word in your reply is "begin". I get the Atlanta locals but I'm too far away to get OTA HD. I could get an H10 now and lose all DVR functions and I'll bet when the HR20 is available (is it me or do others suspect that Q1 or 2 2006 is optimistic?), there will be a charge for the swap or at least a 2 year wait for a freebie!

So, Hogie, I think your promises are piecrust.

jmarks2001
01-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Although, now that I think about it, I will lose the ability to record things like ESPN and Discovery in HD, right? Any idea how long that will be? (When they change the ESPNs of the world to MPEG-4)?

Wait a second...are people with non-MPEG4 HD receivers (DVRs and non-DVRs) going to lose DTV HD channels soon?

ljsss
01-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Wait a second...are people with non-MPEG4 HD receivers (DVRs and non-DVRs) going to lose DTV HD channels soon?

That's what I am starting to worry about. I thought I would be set if I could snag my HR10-250 before D* quit selling them. Now I am not so sure?

HogarthNH
01-11-2006, 01:30 PM

While they will undoubtedly lose them AT SOME POINT, I would not classify it as soon.

I would predict 2008.

H