PDA

View Full Version : HR10-250 Obsolete?

mlbgoblue
01-06-2006, 05:57 PM
I recently went so far as to have an appointment scheduled to install a new 5 LNB dish so that I could get the newly available HD local channels. Then I was informed that my recently purchased HR10-250 will not support this dish. I also learned that there is currently no HD DVR that will work with the 5 LNB dish. Any ideas on what DirecTV will do for those of us that dropped big cash on the HR10-250 and already need a new box? Is this HR20 supposedly coming out in 2Q06 going to be the replacement? I'm just so bummed that just when it appears that DirecTV is starting to offer more HD channels you need to buy new hardware.

JimSpence
01-06-2006, 06:08 PM
AFAIK. The HR10-250 will work with the new 5LNB dish. But, just the three sats supported by the Phase III dish. When your HD locals become available then you will need to upgrade to an MPEG4 capable receiver. It hasn't been totally verified, but it is assumed that DirecTV will swap out your HR10-250 for free or at a low cost.

The HR20-250 is the supposed replacement. It isn't based on TiVo software, however.

Spoonie G
01-06-2006, 10:40 PM
I just had the 5lnb dish installed today. It works fine with my HR10-250. He did have to replace all the cables though. It took him about 4 hours to complete the install

tbeckner
01-06-2006, 10:48 PM
I just had the 5lnb dish installed today. It works fine with my HR10-250. He did have to replace all the cables though. It took him about 4 hours to complete the installWhat was wrong with the existing cables?

Spoonie G
01-06-2006, 11:45 PM
What was wrong with the existing cables?
No too sure. He said that the older cables aren't compatible with the newer Boxes (I was having an H20 set up at the time, HR10-250 is in the other room). He was having problems so he just replaced all the cables. After that it still didn't work so he had to go back on the roof. I doubt that anything was wrong with my old cables but i don't mind getting new ones!

Tracy RainH2o
01-06-2006, 11:52 PM
The HR10-250 will not be able to record the new HD local channels. I am not sure if you have them yet, but they use MPEG4 compression. The HR10-250 works with MPEG2. It will record broadcast digital signals. If you live in an area that can receive them, get yourself a good antenna.

Spoonie G
01-06-2006, 11:55 PM
The HR10-250 will not be able to record the new HD local channels. I am not sure if you have them yet, but they use MPEG4 compression. The HR10-250 works with MPEG2. It will record broadcast digital signals. If you live in an area that can receive them, get yourself a good antenna.

That's the same thing the tech told me. Any recommendations for an antenna?

JimSpence
01-07-2006, 11:35 AM
www.antennaweb.org

tbeckner
01-07-2006, 11:56 AM
No too sure. He said that the older cables aren't compatible with the newer Boxes (I was having an H20 set up at the time, HR10-250 is in the other room). He was having problems so he just replaced all the cables. After that it still didn't work so he had to go back on the roof. I doubt that anything was wrong with my old cables but i don't mind getting new ones!I believe you are right to believe that the old cable where just fine. The old one's had to be at least RG6 and the new ones are likely to be the same.

I guess the key statement is "After that it still didn't work so he had to go back on the roof."

EricJ
02-18-2006, 12:55 AM
AFAIK. The HR10-250 will work with the new 5LNB dish. But, just the three sats supported by the Phase III dish. When your HD locals become available then you will need to upgrade to an MPEG4 capable receiver. It hasn't been totally verified, but it is assumed that DirecTV will swap out your HR10-250 for free or at a low cost.

The HR20-250 is the supposed replacement. It isn't based on TiVo software, however.
I'm sorry, I don't think I understand that. Are you saying that the HR10-250 will work with the LNB5 for HD local channels currently, but that it won't work after DirecTV migrates HD programming to the new format?

Tonedeaf
02-18-2006, 03:13 AM
I'm sorry, I don't think I understand that. Are you saying that the HR10-250 will work with the LNB5 for HD local channels currently, but that it won't work after DirecTV migrates HD programming to the new format?
The HR10-250 will work with the 5LNB dish, just not all 5 sats will be seen by the HR10. Will not work with HD locals unless via antenna.