PDA

View Full Version : In Justice - "Brothers and Sisters" - 01/01/06

jschuur
01-02-2006, 09:11 PM
After the drought of new episodes, I'm surprised nobody has commented on the first new show of the year yet.

Although I'm determined to cut plain old procedurals with no additional 'gimmick' from my TV diet, I decided to check out all the new midseason shows.

There wasn't anything particularly wrong with the pilot, and the Constance Zimmer character seemed similar to Penny on Good Morning, Miami (who I loved there), but I wasn't impressed enough to keep the SP around.

bentleyml
01-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Never even heard of it. What channel is it on?

mattack
01-02-2006, 09:41 PM
After the drought of new episodes, I'm surprised nobody has commented on the first new show of the year yet.

I haven't watched this yet, but at least according to the guide data, that's not the pilot. The pilot is scheduled to air in its regular time slot this week.

jschuur
01-02-2006, 10:26 PM
In Justice (http://abc.go.com/primetime/injustice/) airs on ABC.

And yeah... silly me, thinking the first episode to air would be the one called 'Pilot' ;)

Post subject updated (Edit: I guess even as the thread starter, I can't update the actual subject in the list).

I'll go back and give the pilot episode a chance. Maybe it reveals that they're all lizard people in disguise, and I'll have my show gimmick.

dthmj
01-02-2006, 10:34 PM
I thought something was a little off for this being the Pilot... I kept thinking I was missing something, so I imagine, a the characters are introduced better in the next episode.

bicker
01-03-2006, 05:03 AM
I'll give the show another try, just because of Kyle MacLachlan, but, after watching a whole bunch of L&O/CSI reruns over the last week, it wasn't that impressive of a show by comparison.

firerose818
01-03-2006, 06:09 AM
I thought something was a little off for this being the Pilot... I kept thinking I was missing something, so I imagine, a the characters are introduced better in the next episode.

The first episode actually airs on Friday. I am not sure where the "sneak preview" episode falls chronologically. I am assuming that we will meet most of the characters in the technical first episode.

I enjoyed it - I will watch the premiere.

-Rose

EMoMoney
01-03-2006, 07:20 AM
The show was ok, but not great. Not enough for me to take on another season pass.

TIVO_GUY_HERE
01-03-2006, 08:28 AM
i'LL keep season pass, if its stays on Friday, not recording anything during that time

spartanstew
01-03-2006, 08:42 AM
I'm a season pass whore, so I'll probably hang onto it.

itsmeitsmeitsme
01-03-2006, 09:11 AM
Hey its a Friday show, so It will hang around with me for awhile. I enjoyed the first show.

nKhona
01-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Not too bad of a show...I'll think it might make it to the SP list if the Friday show is as good or better than the "Pilot".

thefutoncritic
01-03-2006, 11:59 AM
The first episode actually airs on Friday. I am not sure where the "sneak preview" episode falls chronologically. I am assuming that we will meet most of the characters in the technical first episode.

I enjoyed it - I will watch the premiere.

-Rose

Yes, the real pilot airs on Friday and properly introduces all the characters - most importantly it explains why David Swain (Kyle MacLachlan) joined the National Justice Project.

Strangely though the scene with Jason O'Mara's character in couple's counseling was from the original pilot so they'll probably edit some new scene in the "second" episode.

5thcrewman
01-03-2006, 02:01 PM
It bugs me that the premise of the entire show is that our jails are FULL of unJustly convicted people. Bah.

mrmike
01-03-2006, 04:01 PM
It bugs me that the premise of the entire show is that our jails are FULL of unJustly convicted people. Bah.

Given how many people we have in jail, even a small percentage would be a very big number.

5thcrewman
01-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Given how many people we have in jail, even a small percentage would be a very big number.
Not enough if you ask me!

mrmike
01-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Not enough if you ask me!

Not enough people in jail? How do you figure that? Or is this a general "There are still criminals, so we haven't locked enough people up" thing? (If this is gonna wander too far into the political we should avoid it, but I am curious what you meant)

EMoMoney
01-03-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm a season pass whore, so I'll probably hang onto it.
Whore!, whore!, whore!, whore!, whore!
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

5thcrewman
01-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Not enough people in jail? How do you figure that? Or is this a general "There are still criminals, so we haven't locked enough people up" thing? (If this is gonna wander too far into the political we should avoid it, but I am curious what you meant)
The too many criminals thing, gotta get'em to behave!

Jesda
01-04-2006, 05:50 AM
Pretty decent show. It needs more drama though, and its not always easy to inject that into a program about getting the innocent out of prison. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. I'll keep watching it for now, just because its different.

TBDigital
01-05-2006, 09:53 AM
I'm not a Kyle MacLachlan fan, but I enjoyed the interaction between Swain and Conti. I'll keep the SP for now, and see how the pilot looks. I'm not sure if having the ********* boyfriend from 'Van Wilder' in the cast, acting as a whiny know-it-all, helps or hurts the show's cause in my book. We'll see...

Mr. Merkin
01-05-2006, 03:28 PM
I can tell from the horrible previews that keep airing during all of the ABC Bowl Games that this show is nothing but a weepy, liberal, melodrama. There is no way you could get me to watch, it talks about "the thousands of innocent people who are unjustly convicted by the criminal justice system each year..." Give me a freaking break! What a farce, are Michael Moore and George Soros funding this drivel?? Reminds me of the scene in Shawshank when everyone has an excuse for why they're in there and the guy tells Tim Robbins "hey, didn't you know, everybody in here is innocent!" There's no way this show will last very long, same reason why all the liberals on MSNBC (Chris Matthews, Keith Olberman) get almost no ratings whatsoever,

balboa dave
01-05-2006, 04:28 PM
I can tell from the horrible previews that keep airing during all of the ABC Bowl Games that this show is nothing but a weepy, liberal, melodrama. There is no way you could get me to watch, it talks about "the thousands of innocent people who are unjustly convicted by the criminal justice system each year..." Give me a freaking break! What a farce, are Michael Moore and George Soros funding this drivel?? Reminds me of the scene in Shawshank when everyone has an excuse for why they're in there and the guy tells Tim Robbins "hey, didn't you know, everybody in here is innocent!" There's no way this show will last very long, same reason why all the liberals on MSNBC (Chris Matthews, Keith Olberman) get almost no ratings whatsoever,That's a lot of hate you're spewing there. Thanks for sharing. :rolleyes:

jschuur
01-05-2006, 04:56 PM
I can tell from the horrible previews that keep airing during all of the ABC Bowl Games that this show is nothing but a weepy, liberal, melodrama.

Clearly there was a giant liberal conspiracy involved when an innocent person was convicted in the first episode because she looked like her half sister and was mistakenly identified by a witness. It had left wing written all over it.

Mr. Merkin
01-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Clearly there was a giant liberal conspiracy involved when an innocent person was convicted in the first episode because she looked like her half sister and was mistakenly identified by a witness. It had left wing written all over it.

Yeah, because I'm sure that happens all the time. Lots of people are convicted because relatives who look just like them do evil deeds and for some reason, nobody thinks of that as a possibility. Puh-lease, the liberalism comes into play with the very concept of the show -- that is -- that there are thousands and thousands of wrongly convicted people in our prisons. Explain to me one thing, when various prison systems have offered inmates the opportunity to have their DNA tested in order to potentially refute their conviction, almost none were willing to take part. What does THAT tell you??

jschuur
01-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Without getting into the politics of imprisonment and the law, TV shows are frequently about extreme scenarios that are out of the ordinary. Tens of thousands of flights go off without a hitch, but when one crash lands on an island in the Pacific and weird stuff starts to happen, that's the topic of a TV show. That's what makes for interesting TV that a lot of people want to watch.

Similarly, out of over 2.1 million people in prisons in the US, some are innocent. I don't think the one single episode that has aired so far made a point out of lamenting the fact that the courts are throwing 'thousands' of innocent people in jail. It was about lawyers who were passionate enough to keep invastigating a particular case that they felt neede another look.

The trailer (http://abc.go.com/fsp/index.html?channel=InJustice) you saw may have used that particular wording, but that's certainly not how the official site (http://abc.go.com/primetime/injustice/about.html) is promoting the show.

I suppose if you're looking for a conspiracy and already don't like another new, political show introduced by ABC this season, it's easy to find one.

TBDigital
01-05-2006, 06:05 PM
The writers and producers of the show may be militant left wingers. I wouldn't know. That didn't come across in the episode that aired. Maybe the pilot will be more along those lines. If they are trying to push an adjenda, then I'll stop watching. Until then, I found the first episode to be interesting, although if they continue to have these people thrown in jail because of inept legal representation (come on, how would they not check to see if the upscale hospital was turfing uninsured patients to a lower scale facility?!?!?!), that may get old after a while. You gotta take the good tv whereever you can find it, so I'll keep an open mind...for now.

jschuur
01-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Personally, I'm hoping they balance things out and show an episode where they free a criminal who faked being innocent and then goes out and kills someone.

_That_ would keep the show from becoming repetitive, just like Without a Trace doesn't always end with the missing person being found alive.

Mr. Merkin
01-05-2006, 07:49 PM
If you want good TV, I guess you better stick with HBO -- Deadwood, Rome, the Wire, etc. Network TV is the pits.

Kevdog
01-06-2006, 10:57 AM
What a farce, are Michael Moore and George Soros funding this drivel??

Wow. Rip on Michael Moore all you want (I think he's a fat windbag who gives liberals a bad name), but George Soros happens to do a lot more to promote freedom and democracy around the world than George Bush has ever dreamed of doing. Just cause he, like 50% of the people in this country, happens to think Bush is a d*#chebag doesn't put him on the same level as Michael Moore.