PDA

View Full Version : Media Player Password Question

Smiling Bob
01-01-2006, 03:05 AM
OK, I read all of the posts I could find and still haven't figured it out.

Whenever I try to have Media Player play a .tivo file, it asks me for a password. I have tried every password under creation (even the MAK) and none work. I used Galleon to upload the shows to my PC. (I don't have Tivo Desktop. I tried loading it and it failed - Internal Error 2753 - tivobeacon.exe1. Gave up after 5 tries. That was desktop 2.0. Don't want to use 2.2 - heard it screws other programs up.)

Galleon never asked me for a password and there doesn't seem to be a way to enter one within the application. (Yeah, I went to the Galleon home page and the help info says nothing about this.)

hitech_rednek
01-01-2006, 11:19 AM
hmmmm....did it start asking for a password *before* or *after* the failed TiVo Desktop installation? I'm guessing after. TiVo Desktop asks you to define a playback password for your downloaded shows, and even if it is failing to install properly it's probably hooking some switch in the Windows Registry that the codec is also looking at.

I haven't messed with this stuff in a while, but didn't you need to install TiVo Desktop to get the codec components needed to playback the files (in WMP or whatever) in the first place? I haven't tried Galleon so I don't know what its features/capabilities are. I was hesitant to upgrade to TiVo Desktop 2.2 and stayed at 2.0 for quite a while but upgraded recently - I haven't had any problems and would recommend trying 2.2 (maybe after a Registry backup and cleanup).

javahmo
01-01-2006, 02:36 PM
OK, I read all of the posts I could find and still haven't figured it out.

Whenever I try to have Media Player play a .tivo file, it asks me for a password. I have tried every password under creation (even the MAK) and none work. I used Galleon to upload the shows to my PC. (I don't have Tivo Desktop. I tried loading it and it failed - Internal Error 2753 - tivobeacon.exe1. Gave up after 5 tries. That was desktop 2.0. Don't want to use 2.2 - heard it screws other programs up.)

Galleon never asked me for a password and there doesn't seem to be a way to enter one within the application. (Yeah, I went to the Galleon home page and the help info says nothing about this.)

If you want to play .tivo files you need to install the TiVo Desktop software which includes the required codec. Galleon does not play media files.

Tenmoc
06-20-2006, 09:26 PM
It just started asking me for this after installing the mydvd software.

Any ways to figure out what password it wants? I have added everything I ever use for non secure things like this.

gconnery
06-20-2006, 10:27 PM
There are posts on here that talk about this problem. don't recall the details. Something about a media logging utility that installs with MyDVD. if you kill the process it will stop asking. If you uninstall it will stop asking. If you configure the utility not to scan the files in the Tivo Recordings folder it will stop asking.

*I think*. Do some more searching for the correct thread.