PDA

View Full Version : Is this U2 Freeview in 16x9

VoR
12-01-2005, 08:44 PM
When I turned it on this morning it appeared to be stretched, since my WEGA TV does 16x9 I changed the aspect and it appears correct. This is the first time I've noticed something broadcast this way...

Maybe I'm seeing things :confused:

JimSpence
12-01-2005, 09:40 PM
What channel?

VoR
12-01-2005, 10:08 PM
124 all through December

Bacon Brothers

Bonnie Raitt

Collective Soul w/ The Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra

Floetry

U2 Vertigo Tour 2005

Sparty99
12-02-2005, 09:45 AM
I realize the biggest selling point of the Freeviews are that, well, it's free, but if you're concerned about the aspect ratios, I'd go out and buy the DVD. Probably run you about $15 at Best Buy.

TPW
12-02-2005, 10:10 AM
I realize the biggest selling point of the Freeviews are that, well, it's free, but if you're concerned about the aspect ratios, I'd go out and buy the DVD. Probably run you about $15 at Best Buy.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he was concerned....just asking a question.

ETA: I've never seen this happen before but that doesn't mean it hasn't. I'd be interested to know the answer also.

Sparty99
12-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he was concerned....just asking a question.

ETA: I've never seen this happen before but that doesn't mean it hasn't. I'd be interested to know the answer also.
Yeah, probably right. Didn't mean to flame, just thought I could help someone out.

VoR
12-02-2005, 05:49 PM
lol, I already own the DVD, but have yet to open it ;)

It was more of a this is different for DTV thing. I've had it since the Gen1 receivers and there's always been a setting for 16x9 output but I have never seen it used...

adavidw
12-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Yeah, the U2 one is definitely anamorphically squeezed.

The Ozomatli freeview month-before-last was anamorphic like this as well. Worked great for me since I have a 16x9 TV, but I can imagine that someone with a 4x3 TV might be confused/pissed.

I'm guessing these things are just taken straight off of the DVDs, which are anamorphically squeezed so that a 16x9 TV can stretch it horizontally, or a DVD player can letterbox it for a 4x3 TV.

The DirecTV receivers are in theory capable of doing the proper stretching/letterboxing themselves like a DVD player, but I know of no instance where a broadcast was actually sent properly encoded for that feature to work.

FatherTed
12-03-2005, 08:06 PM
The DirecTV receivers are in theory capable of doing the proper stretching/letterboxing themselves like a DVD player, but I know of no instance where a broadcast was actually sent properly encoded for that feature to work.

Actually DirecTV has. The Cirque du Soleil performances shown on Bravo were done in anamorphic and looked very good in 16x9. There are threads about it here.

adavidw
12-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I had seen those threads, but the impression I got from them is that the Cirque du Soleil shows were just like these recent concerts. They were broadcast in 16x9, but not flagged as such, so they showed up vertically squeezed on 4x3 sets. It was nothing deliberate by DirecTV to send it as anamorphic, just bad mastering on Bravo's part.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=2485390&highlight=cirque#post2485390

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=2353146&highlight=cirque#post2354434

gastrof
12-03-2005, 09:51 PM

I'd have to disagree.

If a widescreen show is being broadcast for non-HD use, it should be letterboxed and sent out 4x3 with black bars.

Very few standard def widescreen sets out there. Most standard def sets are 4x3. The picture should be formatted for them on standard def broadcasts.

DeDondeEs
01-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Yea it is streched. If I switch my Tivo to the 16:9 aspect it fills the screen perfectly. As a U2 fan I was going to buy the DVD but I am glad this came on. I think the Elevation DVD / Tour was much better. The band doesn't seem to have any energy in this performance. Plus Bono goes on a 5 minute diatribe about Africa. I would've been very disappointed if I had paid the $50-$100 they were asking for tickets for this tour. I was unable to get tickets because it sold fast. I contemplated buying them off of E-bay, I'm glad that I didn't. U2 is like that with tours, they are either awesome (Zooropa, Elevation) or the are horrible (Popmart, Vertigo).