PDA

View Full Version : No need for MyDVD, Nero works fine.

Pages : 1 [2] 3

TommyRox
02-25-2005, 01:28 PM
SHERLOCK - The Codec Detective!

http://www.updatexp.com/sherlock-codec-detective.html#

ack_thbbft
02-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Another discovery in reference to my previous post (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=2644917&&#post2644917):

When starting a new project to see if I can get the interlaced files I mentioned above to burn, the resources listed in "My Media Files" still list all the various files I tried to burn together, but I'm sure everyone knows that's normal.

What is interesting, however, is that all the progressive files that burned without any problems are the ones that are segmented and scrambled (referring to Windohpain's method of clearing the cache to correct them), while the interlaced files which it would not burn or export are the ones that look fine without clearing the cache.

So, NVE3 is scrambling the progressive files, but burns them just fine after deleting the cache files, while it plays interlaced files just fine but won't burn them.

This makes me wonder if perhaps NVE3 is bugging out with TiVo files during the original translation when you first add them to a project. It always scans them individually, so perhaps whatever recoding it is doing from .tivo format to the MPEG-2 format it works with is somehow doing something backwards, trying to make progressive files interlaced (resulting in the scrambled segments), and perhaps even trying to make the interlaced files progressive (which keeps them from properly transcoding and exporting/burning). I can't think of any other reason that interlaced files would look fine in the cache but won't burn, while progressive files are scrambled but burn just fine.

Anyone else notice this?

tfratzke
02-25-2005, 04:32 PM
tfratzke, can you please PM me the info you have been distributing?

TIA :)

Thanks

You guys have PM's ;)

heretolearn
02-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Sitting with a new (purchased upgrade) version of Nero but have an almost working setup with Nero 6 OEM (NVE2). Considering installing the upgrade but read all above and it seems a bit scary.

Currently I can transfer the TiVo files, edit them and export to a working mpeg-2 file but my version of NVE2 does not seem to support export to DVD. If I get it right, the full NVE3 version has an additional "export" option but again, that version seems problematic too.

Any ideas?

TommyRox
02-25-2005, 08:38 PM
NVE2 USERS

What method did you use to burn TIVO through NVE2? I have had so many problems that I downgraded to NVE2 as well. Can you tell me the steps you took to burn your DVD's - thanks in advance.

BillShannon
02-26-2005, 12:30 AM
I'm not very impressed with Nero support. They're very slow to respond,
and their response is usually not helpful. In addition to all the TiVo related
problems, I sent them a list of other bugs a few weeks ago and haven't
heard a thing.

Does anyone know if there's a real support forum for Nero somewhere?
Or is this becoming it? :(

I finally got an official response from Nero:

The Tivo format is not supported and there are also no plans to support it in closer future.
You guys haven't been doing your job! I'm sure if everyone here who's
having problems would send a message to Nero, they'd get the clue that
they need to officially support .TiVo files (and fix their bugs).

That address again... techsupport@nero.com

If Nero, which otherwise comes highly recommended, has this many problems,
I'm scared to even try Sonic. But there's several other $100+ options out there.
Anyone have experience with any of them?

bigcat
02-26-2005, 01:10 AM
If Nero, which otherwise comes highly recommended, has this many problems,
I'm scared to even try Sonic. But there's several other $100+ options out there.
Anyone have experience with any of them?

I have found WinAVI works really well, and it's only $30. It can read .tivo files (after entering your password) and create the .VOB files etc. for burning to DVD / VCD. Then you can burn with it's built utility or with Nero or whatever came with your burner. In this mode it's more basic then Nero VE because it does not create any menus. But's it's very fast, 1 hr show transcoded and burnt, ready to play in under 1 hour with one application. And it has a batch mode.

If you want to get more fancy, it will also convert the .tivo files to .mpg, so you can then edit commercials and add menus in any video editing program you desire. No longer needs to be DirectShow aware. I was already an owner of Pinnacle Studio 8, so this was an essential capability for me.

It will also convert .tivo files to .rm, .wmv or .avi, for an AVI you can use an mpeg4 encoder so I guess that means you could create for a pocket PC, although I haven't tried it.

greg_burns
02-26-2005, 07:13 AM
What I have discovered is that some TiVo files are coming up as interlaced and some are progressive. The progressive ones will export without any trouble. The interlaced ones, on the other hand, either cause an immediate error, or get about 28 seconds into it then stop (sometimes stop completely, sometimes just the video freezes and I get audio only).

Why does Nero choke on interlaced video files? Or, perhaps a better question is, why are some files progressive and some interlaced? Is TiVo recording them that way, or is Nero saving them in different ways for some odd reason? :confused:

How do you tell if you have a progressive or an interlaced file?

Greg

TomMMD
02-26-2005, 03:36 PM
I upgraded the Nero that came with my DVD burner and then I had the screens that are talked about way up there.

I also loaded Nero Showtime 2

Then I was able to load and export a tivo file.

However, I seemed to have lost all sound on all my tivo files on my computer.

Any ideas what do do to get the sound back? :down:

mstenzel
02-26-2005, 05:04 PM
When Nero VisionExpress starts up, you have the choice to make a movie or DVD, among other things. I realize that eventually you'll have to end up at the "Make DVD" step, but I'm not clear where to start.

For the record, I'm starting with .mpg or .avi files converted from .tivo files.

1. Do I start in "Make DVD" and just add my files there, or...

2. Do I start in "Make Movie," add my files, export the movie as an .mpg, and then use that new .mpg in the "Make DVD" function? Is the point in starting in "Make Movie" that you can edit commercials and add transitions/effects?

BTW, if you've already got the file in .mpg format and you clean it up and export it as a new .mpg, is there any transcoding going on there or only in the "Make DVD" function? Just trying to streamline as much as possible.

Thanks,

menor59
02-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Ive written up How i do it..

Hope this Helps :-)

Close Tivo Desktop (Keep Tivo Server Running *Bottom Right corner next to clock in the taskbar.

The Little Tivo Guy should be there)
Start NVE3 Select Make CD -> Video CD
Select Add Video Files ->Browse to your Garbled Video Directory (If you have one or Know the name

of the File in question) File type should be [All Files *.*]
Open Video -> Enter Tivotogo Password

Let Nero Analyse the file.

Right Click the Video and Select RENAME. Highlight the Name of the File and Right Click Copy then

Click Cancel.

Once the file is Imported Close the Project. RED X in upperRight corner. (Dont Save it.)

Goto My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View Tab -> Put a bullet next to *Show hidden files

and Folders.
Click Apply -> Click OK ->Close My Computer.

Double click My Computer and goto C:\Documents and Settings\<your user-name>\Application Data\Ahead\NeroVision.

Hold the Right Click button on the NVFcache Folder and drag it to the desk top and release and Click -Create shortcuts Here

Goto My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View Tab -> Put a bullet next to *Do not show hidden files and Folders.

Double click the Short Cut You created on your desktop.

Delete all the Files in this Folder *NVFACache*

Open tivo desktop.

Open NVE3, click Make CD->Video CD -> Make Movie ->Enter your Tivo Password ->Drag the video to the

Bottom. Click the Next Button (Lower Right Corner)

Right Click The Video -> Rename ->Right Click and Paste. -> Click OK.

Click Next twice and Preview. Voila!! No more garbage :-) Click Stop. Click Back twice.

At this point you can Either Export the Whole Video, Edit the Video then Export it. Or Opt to Burn

the Video as is.
Bonus Step. What i usually do:
I Usually Export.

Click the Export Button at the Bottom

Under Output on this Page you will see a Button with ... in it. This is where you will be

exporting the video. Browse to a location you want to export to and right Click in the Name and Paste

again :-) You still have the title from the Previous Steps :-).

Click Save.

Then click the Export Button at the Lower Right.

Hope the Helps Nero Users.

Best Regards.

Menor59

jblucher
02-27-2005, 10:02 AM
menor59,

What does this actually do? It seems to work but why? I don't understand why adding the video, deleting the files from the Cache, closing the project, and repeating with Tivo desktop open works. Couldn't you just add the files with Tivo desktop open?

Whatever the reason, thanks for the help.

menor59
02-27-2005, 11:01 AM
the problem....

D/L show.tivo.mpg file.

Import it into NVE3 to Decode and burn.

Sometimes...the video is perfect...others...REally bad, choppy and Audi is High pitchy.

the problem is with Nero. and deleting the cache fixes it.

ive been reading threads about this problem since 7.1 was released. believe it or not...people using Nero about 60% are experienceing this problem....Its just a fix...if you cant Encode Stargate SG1 the 1st time with Nero. and you GOtta Get it to disc..heheh

P.s. Nero i believe is the Perfered Burning software...and Im not Going to pay 99.00 for MyDVD. So i had to come up with a way to make it flawalable.

regards,

Menor59

HomeUser
02-27-2005, 09:16 PM
menor59 Thanks, your step by step made my day. I spent most of the day trying to get NVE3 to work again should of looked here first.

ack_thbbft
02-27-2005, 10:24 PM
How do you tell if you have a progressive or an interlaced file?

Greg
When you add a video to a project in NVE3 (either under "Make DVD" or after clicking "Next" under "Make Movie"), if you simply hover your mouse pointer over the video, a yellow floating pop-up appears giving you the information about the video, including resolution, duration, and whether it is interlaced or progressive.

That's where I made the correlation, that all the interlaced videos were causing Nero to choke, while the progressive ones are fine.

So far, all my Best quality TiVo recordings (mainly Battlestar Galactica) are showing up as progressive, while many medium quality recordings are coming up as interlaced about 1/3rd of the time.

xscorpion
02-28-2005, 04:24 AM

Close Tivo Desktop (Keep Tivo Server Running *Bottom Right corner next to clock in the taskbar.

Select Add Video Files ->Browse to your Garbled Video Directory (If you have one or Know the name

All the way up to this point works okay. After entering the password and letting nero analyse the file nothing shows up in the window. Can't right click on the video because there is no video to right click on.

Right Click the Video and Select RENAME. Highlight the Name of the File and Right Click Copy then

Click Cancel.

Once the file is Imported Close the Project. RED X in upperRight corner. (Dont Save it.)

Goto My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View Tab -> Put a bullet next to *Show hidden files

and Folders.

Double click My Computer and goto C:\Documents and Settings\<your user-name>\Application Data\Ahead\NeroVision.

Hold the Right Click button on the NVFcache Folder and drag it to the desk top and release and Click -Create shortcuts Here

Goto My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View Tab -> Put a bullet next to *Do not show hidden files and Folders.

Open tivo desktop.

Open NVE3, click Make CD->Video CD -> Make Movie ->Enter your Tivo Password ->Drag the video to the

Click Next twice and Preview. Voila!! No more garbage :-) Click Stop. Click Back twice.

At this point you can Either Export the Whole Video, Edit the Video then Export it. Or Opt to Burn

the Video as is.
I Usually Export.

Under Output on this Page you will see a Button with ... in it. This is where you will be

exporting the video. Browse to a location you want to export to and right Click in the Name and Paste

Click Save.

Best Regards.

Menor59

menor59....help!! followed your steps above but its not working. here's what i did....see above for my comments. can you help? thanks.

uetz2
02-28-2005, 11:09 AM

Thanks

spaceranger
02-28-2005, 01:45 PM

Thanks

Me too!

menor59
02-28-2005, 05:55 PM
xscorpion,

do you have the right codecs installed??

ryan87500
02-28-2005, 08:43 PM
I have been trying to read and keep up with the tread but not sure if I saw someone that had the same problem as me. I can load the tivo file fine, but when it loads only the top portion shows and it is very choppy? Am I missing something, maybe a codec, and if so does anyone know which one.

Thank you

TommyRox
02-28-2005, 08:49 PM
I have the EXACT same problem and have tried all diferent methods, software and codecs with no resolution. If you get your issue resolved please keep me posted and I will likewise.

TommyRox
02-28-2005, 08:51 PM
tfratzke, can you please PM me the info as well you have been distributing?

NIIDeep
02-28-2005, 11:52 PM
menor59,

You are AWESOME!! for figuring this out. I didn't even know I had an issue with the choppiness and high pitched audio bleeps. Followed your procedure and BAM!!! got good clean video. This is sooooooooooo cool.

Click Cancel.

and Folders.

Open tivo desktop.

the Video as is.
I Usually Export.

Click Save.

Best Regards.

Menor59

menor59
03-01-2005, 02:32 AM
Welcome NIIDEEP :-)

Teggy
03-02-2005, 01:37 AM
Menor59's method worked for me as well - burned a DVD no problem - thanks! The extra step hardly even adds any time to the process. The big test will be to see if I can get multiple files into the same project and have them all work. That's for tomorrow though :)

By the way, I have Vision Express 3 (most recent update) and am using the K-lite mega pack.

lordbah
03-02-2005, 06:51 AM
The weird little dance works as far as getting video in, editing, and exporting. But I haven't been able to get Nero to burn a DVD. It always says "Burn failed". Its log file isn't very obvious about what the problem is, but there is this

DVDEngine SEH EXCEPTION (0xC0000005: ACCESS_VIOLATION) was raised in NEROMEDIACON.DLL at RVA 0x0000DB63.

as well as quite a lot of

GCCore The following operation did not finish in the past 15 seconds: Grab still image (AVStillSource)

Anyone else seeing this?

misssmokys
03-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Does anyone know if the long time MyDVD takes to convert .tivo files and burn the DVD is unusual, or will all DVD burning software take as long? I've only tried two DVDs with my free trial of the software, and I was very disappointed in how long it took. To create a DVD with only about four hours of recordings, it took from 6pm to about midnight to create the files (based on the temp files I later saw on my PC ). Then of course it took another chunk of time, probably two hours, to burn the DVD.

I finally decided the conversion takes too long, and just burned a DVD with the .tivo files on it to play on my PCs. Maybe future DVD players will support playing .tivo files, like many play mp3 and wma files.

Or if anyone has specific settings in MyDVD that make the conversion go faster, I'd appreciate knowing what they are.

toots
03-02-2005, 12:31 PM
That's usual. The limiting factor is transcoding the .tivo file into something that meets the DVD specification. Even if the source file does have DVD specs (the correct resolution, frame rate, etc), the specific software used still might decide that it doesn't like the bitrate in use and force a recode just so the result matches that software's specs.

On the other hand, a lot of DVD players will play out of spec DVDs - those containing funny resolutions, mpeg instead of AC-3 or PCM audio, etc. If one were to find a set of tools that would:

1) convert the .tivo file to an MPEG without forcing a transcode
2) create a DVD using that MPEG, even though it's not DVD spec

there's a real chance that your DVD player might be able handle it anyway. This process could probably be done in under an hour, with the time limiting factor being the amount of time it takes to burn the DVD.

But, we're not allowed to talk about those tools here.

ack_thbbft
03-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Does anyone know of a good Nero users forum?

andeelamby
03-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Can you use Nero to burn a DVD then play it on a DVD player (watch it on TV)? The TiVo website says that only Sonic provides that option but Sonic has ZERO support unless you buy their software. I can't even get past building menus when trying to burn the DVD! I am so frustrated. Thanks for the help!

AnteL0pe
03-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Can you use Nero to burn a DVD then play it on a DVD player (watch it on TV)?
Yes you can, look through this very thread.

toots
03-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Yeah, NeroVisionExpress builds totally DVD compliant discs that play without issue on any DVD player that can handle the medium you burned. (That is, if your DVD player just can't play DVD+Rs, and you burned the show on a DVD+R, you're out of luck, but that's a media compatibility issue.)

The issue, as the 14 pages of this topic have documented, is that sometimes it's difficult to get NVE to properly recognize the .tivo file in such a way that it doesn't end up screwing it up. Fortunately, you can tell whether it's a problem pre-burn by testing it in the preview window.

Drgrov
03-02-2005, 04:50 PM
The only problem I have found with burning with Nero is that the editing and compression features (flexibility) are worse than with MYDVD. As difficult as it is to have a feature set less capable than MYDVD, Nero has managed.

On the up side, Nero is far more useful and free if you already own it.

Conclusion: If you are just going to dump single shows to DVD, and you dont care about precise start/end points (Nero is a bit clunky with those) then use Nero if you have it. If you want more control, get the trial of MyDVD and see if it gives you what you are looking for (best for multiple recordings or edits)

Let's face it, at the end of the day, neither one is particularly robust, but either will do for simple recording.

NIIDeep
03-02-2005, 05:18 PM
I haven't had time to try out DVD authoring with Nero.. I don't usually use this particular s/w for DVD authoring. But I will give it a go sometime in the next couple of days and report back. My approach was to get the .tivo to an MPEG2 format. From this I can use any s/w to author the DVD.

I'm not an expert on transcoding but I find it strange that 30 minutes of high quality Tivo video, 812 MB, when transcoded to MPEG2 becomes a 2GB file. How the heck did we grow in size? If the .tivo files were a lossy compression format how did we "gain" more information than we had? I'm missing something here for sure....

toots
03-02-2005, 07:17 PM
You have to go into the advanced settings to set the amount of compression/bitrate you want to be output. While you're at it, make sure you select AC-3 audio, else the PCM audio will also make it a lot bigger.

NIIDeep
03-02-2005, 07:49 PM
You have to go into the advanced settings to set the amount of compression/bitrate you want to be output. While you're at it, make sure you select AC-3 audio, else the PCM audio will also make it a lot bigger.

Well I set everything to give me the best quality, namely two settings - quality to best and bitratge to 2 pass VBR. But I thought .tivo is already in the digital realm and I wouldn't expect file sizes to increase. If .tivo is already a digital sample of an analog signal that occurred in the Tivo. How do we get "more information" than what we sampled? This is my question...

For example a video file captured in .AVI format will decrease in file size when it's transcoded to MPEG2.

Windohpain
03-02-2005, 08:00 PM
I noticed the same file size increase you did NIIDeep and wondered if along with the silly DRM crap the .tivo was compressed, for instance you get similar action when when returning an audio .ape file to the native .wav or .cda

tivarino
03-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Menor59's method works for me when I do a single .tivo file, but I run into trouble when I try to get more than one file on a disk. Because I don't really get why this is working it's kinda hard to apply it to more than one file. Anyone who gets it wanna try explaining it?

Teggy
03-02-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm working on a multi-title dvd now. I haven't burned it yet, but I seems to be going fine. You do the same thing as in Menor's instructions, except import multiple files at the same time instead of just one. After you've got all the files in, close Nero, delete the cache files, and then go back in again. To create a multi-title dvd, click make movie, drag one of your programs into the timeline, then click next. It will create a title for that program. Press make movie again and work on another program, click next, and repeat until you're through.

The only thing you'll lose is the title of the program, so write it down and enter it in manually later.

If you decide you want to add another program to the DVD later on, I guess you're out of luck, although maybe if you save your project if will stay ok. I don't know what would happen if you save your project, delete your cache and then open Nero again. That's an experiment for another time.

TommyRox
03-03-2005, 02:49 AM
I am almost there with this GREAT fix but I have a couple of questions - see red text.

Thanks Menor59 - awesome job!!

Thomas

Originally Posted by menor59

Click Cancel.

and Folders.

Open tivo desktop.

Why are we reopening Tivo Desktop?

Where did we "COPY"?

the Video as is.
I Usually Export.

Click Save.

Best Regards.

Menor59

AnteL0pe
03-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Right Click the Video and Select RENAME. Highlight the Name of the File and Right Click Copy then .....

Where did we "COPY"?
See above

Open tivo desktop.

Why are we reopening Tivo Desktop?
I never figured that one out either.

Teggy
03-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Well, I finished my multi-title DVD burn overnight and it came out perfect! My DVD has 8 titles, each with 5 chapters and it all works flawlessly.

As far as opening and closing Tivo desktop, I really don't know what this is for. I haven't tried doing this with the desktop completely shut down, but for the most part I always have the server running while my computer is on, and I didn't touch the Tivo desktop software at all while building my dvd. Personally, I would ignore any reference to Tivo desktop in the instructions. I don't know what would happen if you were to quit out of desktop completely, but perhaps that's a good experiment. I think the important part in all of this is emptying the cache.

The cutting and pasting of the file title is simply so you can have the title when you are ready to do your burn. When you go to "make movie" and add your video, it becomes a new title on the dvd and is named "Title 1". If you know what the video is, you can just as easily rename it by right clicking on the title and typing.

My next task will be to test saving a project, shutting down Nero an then opening it back up to see if the video remains ok, as well as trying to add more shows to an existing project.

ack_thbbft
03-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Has anyone had any success getting NeroVision Express 3 to burn their movies onto DVD+R DL media? When I've tried it, transcoding goes fine, but when it comes time to do the actual burn, Nero stops and I get the following error in the log:

Quote:
############################################################ ############################
[16:24:03] DVDEngine ERROR
[16:24:03] DVDEngine cause: 3 (invalid_parameter)
[16:24:03] DVDEngine source: _get_PGC_PB_TM
[16:24:03] DVDEngine description: ICellRef refers a cell (VOB_IDN=1, C_IDN=22) which does not exist in
[16:24:03] DVDEngine VTSTT_VOBS#4.
[16:24:03] DVDEngine ############################################################ ############################

Nero InfoTool correctly identifies my drive and media, but just won't burn to it. Single-layer media work just fine (I've used +RW and -R), but I take a major quality hit when Nero compresses the burn to fit.

I can (according to NVE3) fit a little over 200 minutes of Standard DVD quality recordings on a DL disc (5 episodes of edited programming, 704x480 TiVo resolution), but since I can't get it to work, I'm stuck with either just 2 episodes on a single-layer disc at Standard quality, or 4 at Long Play, which looks terrible.

toots
03-03-2005, 02:03 PM
To tell the truth, I usually use NVE to just "burn" a DVD image directly to the hard drive. Then, I use regular Nero to burn the image to DVD.

Why? Well, because regular Nero seems to be a more robust burner. Even still (using a Pioneer DL DVD+/-R/RW drive connected via an oxford chipset firewire enclosure), I often get some bogus error at the end of the burn, but it plays fine anyway.

ack_thbbft
03-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Well, toots, (boy, that sounds bad, but it is her (?) handle ;) ) I actually just managed to successfully (I think) burn on DL using NVE3 after selecting Burn At Once. :D I'm actually a happy user, finally!

Thanks for the help, anyway! Actually, I can't quite figure out how to use Nero Burning ROM yet, but I'm new to this stuff. I'm sure I'll get more advanced.

Now to start posting to a burning-enthusiast forum I found, where I can make suggestions on features we want to see in future Nero releases. I hate not having more flexibility with menus (being forced into having image "buttons", for example, instead of just text).

Maybe if I really get into this stuff, I'll buy a true DVD movie authoring program with more of the Hollywood-level abilities we see on commercially-distributed DVD's.

turbojimmy
03-05-2005, 06:11 AM
Well I sort of solved my problem.

First was a 733Mhz machine just isn't up to the task. No matter what software I used (Nero, MyDVD, Dr. Divx) it took 7-10 hours to transcode video. When burning to a DVD, all versions of the software would fail about halfway through the burn process, thus destroying the DVD. It does copy DVDs fine with DVDXcopy tho.

I abanonded that machine and had to buy an external burner for my new(er) laptop. The laptop is a 2.4 Ghz machine. It's a bit of a pain because it's wireless and the transfer speeds are slow. When moving shows off of Tivo I have to plug it into a hub ("hardwired"). Once I get the shows onto the more powerful laptop, however, MyDVD works fine. I'm not sure what the variables are, but some shows transcode a little quicker than 1:1, and others take up to 4 hours per one hour of program. I successfully burned my first show last night after editing out the commercials in MyDVD.

It's a lot of hassle and time consuming even on a decent machine. But it is nice to take some of the stuff I've been saving (some for over 2 years) off of the TiVos.

Jim

knownzero
03-05-2005, 12:01 PM
I tired menor59's process on a file I couldn't get to work for a while now (it didn't work), so I got frustrated and downgraded back to NVE 2.1 that came with my DVD burner and the file exported just fine without the garbled video and the correct sound sync. I used NVE 3 on a file and it worked exactly once and wouldn't work again on any other files no matter what I did. How odd is that? Anywho, the 2.1 works (at least for me) and since I've played with the Sonic software and didn't like it a whole lot, I think I'm going to keep the NVE 2.1 on here until I hear that a later version of Nero works.

docchak
03-06-2005, 11:04 AM
I tired menor59's process on a file I couldn't get to work for a while now (it didn't work), so I got frustrated and downgraded back to NVE 2.1 that came with my DVD burner and the file exported just fine without the garbled video and the correct sound sync. I used NVE 3 on a file and it worked exactly once and wouldn't work again on any other files no matter what I did. How odd is that? Anywho, the 2.1 works (at least for me) and since I've played with the Sonic software and didn't like it a whole lot, I think I'm going to keep the NVE 2.1 on here until I hear that a later version of Nero works.

Just clean out the previous project cache from folder.. NVFACache. It was described previously in this thread.

I wish Nero would come up with this clean upcache tactic, or offer as an option , built into the next NVE version.

o98eclipse
03-06-2005, 11:35 AM

thanks

TivoPip
03-06-2005, 11:45 AM
I had all sorts of problems getting the Nero trial edition to work. I had garbled video & audio using .tivo files and it wouldn't accept .tivo files converted to .mpg as they were non-DVD compliant. Even these files transcoded to DVD compliant mpg using various re-encoding software (I tried several) would work....they were just ignored when I tried to add them.

Buy.com was having a special on the retail ultra edition. I bought it, installed it and it worked perfectly with .tivo files, with NVE 2 and after the upgrade with NVE 3. If only I could get the edit to work. Right now I'm having to conert the .tivo files, edit out the commercials in TMPGEnc MPEG Editor (far superior for editing) and then importing the resulting editied mpg to burn in Nero.

So, if you're having problems with the trial version...doesn't neccessarily mean the full version won't work.

simmike
03-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Update for me. I got Nero Vision Express to work exactly once. The resulting DVD was perfectly fine. The next file I transfered would play OK in Media Player, but when I imported to Nero, I got garbled video.

For me personally, if I'm not able to transfer reliably to DVD, there is no point in transfering the files to my PC. I would rather just watch them on my TV. I'll have to go back to my old method which is copying the stuff to my DV camcorder and transfering to my PC with that method.

On a different note, I had never used the Music and Picture features. I was pleasantly surprised that when I "published" my photos for viewing on my TV, the quality is really good. My TIVO is connected via component cables, in progressive format, so maybe this helps.

I'll have to experiment with Nero again. There are probably tips in this thread that help.

RoadKing2003
03-06-2005, 06:50 PM
I am totally ticked!! I tried Nero 5 to burn imaged from Tivo to Go. When I try to add a .tivo file, it says unsupported format. So I went out and spent $100 (and blew the software budget for awhile --my wife wants the new Front Page! :eek: ) for Nero Ultra Edition and d/l'd the updates. Nero Express STILL WONT LET ME SELECT A .TIVO FILE!! (No compatable file found)
Help!!!!!

rainmkr
03-06-2005, 06:57 PM
Nero Express or NeroVision Express? you have to convert it with NeroVision before trying to do anything in Nero Express or regular Nero

simmike
03-06-2005, 09:03 PM
I've found that "Best Quality" video files work fine with NVE 3. If I try to use "High Quality", which is the second level down, the resulting files are garbled in NVE, with only the top part of the screen flashing intermittently and a high pictched audio breakup pattern.

I just checked my TIVO settings and it appears TIVO updated my system with four recording settings and changed my default to "high" instead of "best." I didn't make this choice. I distinctly remember setting my default to best quality a couple of months ago.

Update: I just downloaded another best quality file and it would not work with Nero.

||Cypher||
03-07-2005, 12:43 AM
Could it be that you don't have the right codecs on your computer? I haven't had any problems with NVE3 in importing any tivo files.

MusicMama
03-07-2005, 09:29 AM
I just want to thank all of you for your research and comments in this post (and the forum in general). After downloading the free advanced codecs and following the carefully documented steps, I was finally able to create a DVD of a movie that I had TiVo'd. While it does take careful attention to the steps involved, and it's not an easy thing to edit out commercials, it can be done.

I already had Nero, but when the publicity about TTG needing MyDVD came out, I was suckered into spending $ 100. on the MyDVD Deluxe Suite, with the expectation that it was what I needed. Guess what -- I got stuck with the 6.0 version and can't seem to get an answer about an upgrade. Now I don't have to care - I can use Nero!

So thanks one and all!

DPF
03-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Also adding a thanks to the posters about the clearing cache trick and loading the files through the "Make movie" instead of the "Add Files" route. Fixes the importing as Interlaced and causing the garbled video and screeching audio. Worked like a charm with multiple files, all at best.

Thanks again.
-DPF

rainmkr
03-07-2005, 11:32 AM
I've found that "Best Quality" video files work fine with NVE 3. If I try to use "High Quality", which is the second level down, the resulting files are garbled in NVE, with only the top part of the screen flashing intermittently and a high pictched audio breakup pattern.

I just checked my TIVO settings and it appears TIVO updated my system with four recording settings and changed my default to "high" instead of "best." I didn't make this choice. I distinctly remember setting my default to best quality a couple of months ago.

Update: I just downloaded another best quality file and it would not work with Nero.

i leave the quality settings on Automatic personally, but i think sometimes NVE3 just imports the file badly. i've gotten in the habit of loading the file and then going to edit it it (but i dont do any slicing just then) and if the file plays back in the NVE editor ok i know the exported file will be. other times when i go to edit it, i get the garbled mess you mentioned, but it's usually fixed by just importing it again. the first couple of times i let the full render go through and man i was pissed when it was junk!!

DPF
03-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Rainmkr,

Go read menor59's instructions for clearing up the garble. It worked like a charm for me. The issue is for some reason, inexplicably, NVE3 imports the .tivo files as interlaced mpegs instead of progressive. Still unclear why, seemingly random. It's under those conditions that you get the garbled mess. If you clear the cache and bring the file in using "Make Movie" instead of "Add files" then it comes in as a correct progrtessive and no problems. See two pages earlier in this thread for instructions. It looks much more complicated than it is.

-DPF

TomMMD
03-07-2005, 01:54 PM
What I'm not sure is whether you have to first bring it in the normal way or whether you can use his fix from the start.

ack_thbbft
03-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Is Menor59's trick only intended for VCD's, or does it work for DVD's as well? I've been using Windohpain's similar trick for my DVD's, but some TiVo files just will not export or burn, even though the originals play back fine in WMP and even within NVE during and after editing.

DPF
03-07-2005, 05:53 PM
It's for DVD's too, you just do the same thing. Instead of "Add Video files" you use "Make Movies" and pull them to the bottom on that new screen.

-DPF

jpn2579
03-07-2005, 05:58 PM
I have burned 1 DL DVD+R disc, as a test, with Nero VE3.
My only problem is my (rather expensive) Sony player won't recognize the DL media.
I have another (rather cheap & feature-free) Zenith player that does, however...go figure.

Jason

strivituso
03-07-2005, 07:46 PM
I have installed all updated nero files

1.) Started Nero Express 3
2.) selected tivo files to import (using all files in the browse and add option)
3.) Asked for password and entered?
4.) NO FILES DISPLAYED?
5.) attempted to add file again
6.) same result

Any Ideas, is this the problem everyone else is having?

P.S. if anyone else has the first few Rescue me shows I would be interested.

TivoPip
03-07-2005, 08:24 PM
I am totally ticked!! I tried Nero 5 to burn imaged from Tivo to Go. When I try to add a .tivo file, it says unsupported format. So I went out and spent $100 (and blew the software budget for awhile --my wife wants the new Front Page! :eek: ) for Nero Ultra Edition and d/l'd the updates. Nero Express STILL WONT LET ME SELECT A .TIVO FILE!! (No compatable file found)
Help!!!!!

Just select 'all files' & choose your .tivo file.

strivituso
03-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Just select 'all files' & choose your .tivo file.

Tivo Pip, I must be doing something else wrong also.
I understand what you are saying about all files and choosing my .tivo file.
It looks like the file is being added. The clip shoots a progess bar across the screen which I can not read. and then nothing else happens. Any suggestions?

simmike
03-07-2005, 11:58 PM
It's for DVD's too, you just do the same thing. Instead of "Add Video files" you use "Make Movies" and pull them to the bottom on that new screen.

-DPF

Clearing the cache is easy for me because I always have the option to show system and hidden files. So I simply made a shortcut to this cache folder on my desktop and I delete these files as needed. The "make movie" tip worked. The part about "dragging the file to the bottom" timeline was the trick I didn't do. After I did this and clicked on next, it specifically asked me what I wanted to do, including making a DVD. When I added chapters, the video wasn't garbled, so I went ahead and decided to output the files.

Thanks for the tip. You were right about his instructions being overly complex.

Now I'm hoping my cheapo USB 2.0 NIC works with my TIVO unit, and speeds up transfer. Maybe this is asking too much, as the TIVO seems to do everything in real time. I only paid $19 for the NIC from Newegg, so the gamble isn't too high.

||Cypher||
03-08-2005, 03:10 AM
I kept having problems getting out to a DVD format with NeroVision Express 3. It would blow up sometimes during transcode.

After a little trial and error I found the way:

1) Go to NVE3
2) Select 'Make Movie'
3) Browse for Media to My Tivo Recordings
4) Under 'file type' select "All Files *.*"
5) Pick your Tivo recording that you want to burn
6) Edit the file to using the sissors to the length and parts you want.
7) Select 'EXPORT MOVIE' and then select DVD format.
8) Export it, don't forget to name the file so you'll know what it is. It takes a minute for every minute of video time to export.
9) You now have a regular MPG movie file ready to edit, merge, etc. with other MPG files.
9) Back to Make Movie in NVE3 and select the exported file(s) and make a movie just like you would from any normal DVD format file.
10) Burn and enjoy!!!

Exporting it seems to clear any problems in transcoding etc.

Just burnt 3 different DVDs and they all work great!

Also did a SVCD and a MiniDVD to CD just to see if I could.

Let me know if you have any input or suggestions.

Additional info: I had some problems getting Nero through the longer shows, so I sent them a support question with the complete log. Their answer was: "Please deactivate the "burn at once" mode before bruning so the process will be finished succesfully.
Additional please bring your Nero up to date.
You can download the latest Nero 6 update from :
http://www.nero.com/en/nero-up.php"

strivituso, are you using the directions when using NVE3? this quote is from the very beginning of the thread.

strivituso
03-08-2005, 08:33 AM
strivituso, are you using the directions when using NVE3? this quote is from the very beginning of the thread.

I can not get past this step. I choose the files, it appears to be loading the files
very quick progess bar shoots across the screen with the path of my tivo files.
but I can not select the scissors, becuase no clips are listed.

lexsar
03-08-2005, 08:45 AM
Can you use Nero to burn a DVD then play it on a DVD player (watch it on TV)? The TiVo website says that only Sonic provides that option but Sonic has ZERO support unless you buy their software. I can't even get past building menus when trying to burn the DVD! I am so frustrated. Thanks for the help!

Yes. I have successfully used Nero to burn DVD's from .tivo files that will play on either of my two DVD players (Toshiba & Panasonic). I am running Nero 6/NeroVision Express 2. Do you have NERO?

YankeeRudi
03-08-2005, 12:05 PM
I kept having problems getting out to a DVD format with NeroVision Express 3. It would blow up sometimes during transcode.

1) Go to NVE3
2) Select 'Make Movie'
8) Export it, don't forget to name the file so you'll know what it is. It takes a minute for every minute of video time to export.
9) You now have a regular MPG movie file ready to edit, merge, etc. with other MPG files.
9) Back to Make Movie in NVE3 and select the exported file(s) and make a movie just like you would from any normal DVD format file.
10) Burn and enjoy!!!

Additional info: I had some problems getting Nero through the longer shows, so I sent them a support question with the complete log. Their answer was: "Please deactivate the "burn at once" mode before bruning so the process will be finished succesfully.
"

Thank you VERY much for this help DZRhino.

I just bought a NEC DVD burner from TigerDirect and it came with Nero OEM Suite. In the suite it has NVE2 and your instructions worked perfectly fine with NVE2.

The only problem I have had is the freezing during editing. It appears to happen only when the starting cut is move to near the end (right hand side) in order to cut the last few seconds of the recording to get rid of the last commercial. The freeze happens ehen I try to move it closer using the up/down arrows on the right and side and accidently try to go past the end. I don't know if my explanation is clear, but it looks like the software gets confused when it tries to move the start of the cutting past the end of the cutting blocks.

If anyone has had the same experiience and found a way out, let me know.

toots
03-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I had that freezing problem under NVE2, so I upgraded to NVE3 and ran into that whole 'nother set of problems. At least with the NVE3 problems, cache clearing (or its equivalent) seems to work.

YankeeRudi
03-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I had that freezing problem under NVE2, so I upgraded to NVE3 and ran into that whole 'nother set of problems. At least with the NVE3 problems, cache clearing (or its equivalent) seems to work.

What kind of problems did you get in NVE3? Is it worth upgrading?

toots
03-08-2005, 12:53 PM
The very problems that prompted the "clear the cache" workaround. Sometimes, when you add a .tivo to a project, you get the messed up sound and torn up picture.

On the other hand, NVE3 doesn't crash/hang nearly as much as NVE2 did.

YankeeRudi
03-08-2005, 01:47 PM
My experience with saving TV shows to DVD's (for personal use only - naturally) breaks down to this:

1. Transfer the show to the PC from the TiVo unit. For a one hour show, it takes about 2 hours over the wireless network I have set up at home. (Since I have a D-Link wireless router DI-624 (802.11g) which is capable to transfer at 108 MBps, I cannot wait for TiVo to support the bandwidth).

2. Using the process detailed by DZRhino, "make a movie" in NVE2 using the .tivo file. Before export it, remove the commercials - This takes only 2-3 minutes. This should leave you with a show of between 40 and 45 minutes.

3. Export the movie after the commercials have been cut out. This process takes about an hour.

4. Repeat the same process for the second one hour show (you can easily fit 2 shows on one DVD).

5. Once again following the instructions from DZRhino, burn the DVD by adding the two exported files into a new project and after creating the necessary menus, backgrounds, etc., you can proceed with the burning of the DVD. This process takes about 20 minutes for the two shows on one DVD.

If you take out the transfer from TiVo (which you can really set up to run while you sleep), the process for two one hour TV shows takes about 2.5 hours to get to DVD. Just keep in mind that you only spend about 10 minutes working on the process, 2-3 minutes each show to remove the commercials and 5 minutes to set up the menus etc. for the DVD burning.

Unfortunately, during the rest of the 2.5 hours, the processes will be hoggin your PC. Anything you try will be slow.

Does anyone have a better process?

GPK5050
03-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Hi all...

I can open the Tivo file, edit and burn to DVD, but when I view the file, the sound is there but the picture is black. It's a 30 second clip from a 1/2 hour show that I have edited.

I also exported the file with the same result...black screen with sound.

Any suggestions?

Greg

YankeeRudi
03-08-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi all...

I can open the Tivo file, edit and burn to DVD, but when I view the file, the sound is there but the picture is black. It's a 30 second clip from a 1/2 hour show that I have edited.

I also exported the file with the same result...black screen with sound.

Any suggestions?

Greg

Greg
What version of NVE do you work with?

GPK5050
03-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Hi...

Sorry...it's NVE3.

usnret
03-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Help!! I have NVE2 installed (from the OEM version that I got with my DVD recorder) and when I open NVE2 I can't find the "make a movie" anywhere. Am I old and missing something or is there something else from the OEM disc that I should install???
Tks

MusicMama
03-08-2005, 05:02 PM
from YankeeRudi:
2. Using the process detailed by DZRhino, "make a movie" in NVE2 using the .tivo file. Before export it, remove the commercials - This takes only 2-3 minutes. This should leave you with a show of between 40 and 45 minutes.

So -- how do you edit the commercials in NVE? I have tried, more or less unsuccessfully to use the cutting tool on these areas and keep giving up because it just doesn't seem to work. Am I missing something easy?

Thanks.

YankeeRudi
03-08-2005, 05:17 PM
from YankeeRudi:

So -- how do you edit the commercials in NVE? I have tried, more or less unsuccessfully to use the cutting tool on these areas and keep giving up because it just doesn't seem to work. Am I missing something easy?

Thanks.

Here is how I do it:

As soon as you have the movie in the box (left hand side), click on the cut button. If the show has some commercial at the beginning, drag the right cut box (on the bar) to near the start cut. Then click on the minute or second portion of the clock (next to the up/down arrows) and using either the arrows on the screen or the up/down arrows on your keyboard, move the end until you get a black screen - NOTE there is always a black screen between commercials and shows. You may have to switch from minute to seconds and to 100th of seconds to get to the actual black screen.

Once you have that, click on the cut again. You will be asked to confirm, just say yes.

Then immediatelly click on the cut button again and do the same, except that you need to do the exercise on both ends this time (that is you need to move the start of the cut until you find the black screen between the show and the first commercial) and you will do the end as above.

Continue until you have cut all the pieces.

You will end up with a few clips on the timeline below.

Just remember that it does not change your original .tivo file, therefore you cannot mess up your original file.

Hope that helps.

Rudi

strivituso
03-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Hello, I am still having problems with adding the tivo files to NVE3.
Sorry for the picture below but, when loading the files they do not appear in the window to the left. Please any help would be appreciated.

YankeeRudi
03-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Hello, I am still having problems with adding the tivo files to NVE3.
Sorry for the picture below but, when loading the files they do not appear in the window to the left. Please any help would be appreciated.

Once you have chosen the file using the DZRhino steps (select all files), the file will start to open and ask you to enter your TiVo2Go password. Once you have entered the password, the file should appear on the right hand window.

You can add more than one file on the right the same way.

When you are ready to edit the file just double click on the file on the right. It will be displayed on the left. Once it is there, you can do the editing and/or the export (back to the DZRhino instructions).

Hope this helps.

strivituso
03-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Sorry, But it is not asking for the password. it scrolls a progress bar like it is going to load but nothing happens, I feel like crying.

YankeeRudi
03-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Sorry, But it is not asking for the password. it scrolls a progress bar like it is going to load but nothing happens, I feel like crying.

Just let me ask you a few questions:

How did you get the TiVo files to your PC?
Did you use the TiVo Desktop application?
If so, did you set up the playback password when you installed the application?
Following the instructions from DZRhino did you do the following?
1) Go to NVE3 >>> Open the application?
2) Select 'Make Movie' >>> Select this from the menu?
3) Browse for Media to My Tivo Recordings >>> Left button at the bottom of the right pane. You'll get a popup pane "Open"
4) Under 'file type' select "All Files *.*" >>> Find the tivo file from where your Tivo Desktop is transfering your files?
5) Pick your Tivo recording that you want to burn >>> Double click on the tivo file - It will appear on the right pane. This is when you will be asked to enter the playback password.
6) Edit the file to using the sissors to the length and parts you want. >>> to edit it, double click on the file and it will be displayed in the left pane. This is where you can edit the movie. I suggest that before you learn to edit it, first try to export it. You can always retry the same movie and try to edit it later, once you have mastered the export.
8) Export it, don't forget to name the file so you'll know what it is. It takes a minute for every minute of video time to export. >>> The default file for the export is "C:\My TiVo Recordings\NeroVision\ExportedVideo\NVEExport.mpg" or something like that depending on your installation. Just change the file name to something that you will be able to remember like the name of the show you are recording, such as "C:\My TiVo Recordings\NeroVision\ExportedVideo\CSI.mpg"

Try this and see if this helps.

Rudi

strivituso
03-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Rudi,

I used tivo desktop to tranfer the tivo files to my pc. I have 6 shows of rescue me. I can play them using windows media player and it does ask for the password. no problems.

when I get to this step 5) Pick your Tivo recording that you want to burn >>> Double click on the tivo file - It will appear on the right pane. This is when you will be asked to enter the playback password.

It does not ask for a password and does not apper in the right window under (My media files). If I right click the tivo files from the browse menu I can play them and it will ask for the password. But if I double click, a progress bar shows up very very quckly, which I can barely read. It looks like the path of the tivo files.
and then nothing else happens.

simmike
03-08-2005, 11:39 PM
The setup asks you for two passwords. One is a number code that allows your TIVO and computer to interact. It only asks for this once. TIVO gives you this number, I think during the download process. The second is a password you get to choose during the install process for opening your video files.

strivituso
03-08-2005, 11:41 PM
The first should be your media key, the second is the password that you need to view the files.

Boydbob
03-09-2005, 01:26 AM
I have the demo of NVE3 and the Sonic demo.

I have a file on my Tivo with a man hitting a piece of wood. "Thwack."

I play it on my Tivo unit - it's in sync.

I play the raw TTG Tiv file on Media Player, classic, MP10, Win Amp, etc, - the audio is ahead of the video.

I burned it to DVDR-W in the Sonic demo - now the DVD is in sync.

I'm converting it to MPG in NVE3 now, but my hopes are low because the preview, though a little better, was still not in sync.

All of my TTG files want to play the audio early, but Sonic "My DVD" seems to correct the problem.

I have programs which can shift the audio, but figuring it out much just takes way too long.

If I can figure out an easy fix to the sync problem, I will get the Nero package. If I can't, I'll get the Sonic.

UPDATE - The Nero NVE3 disk is in sync. I'm still not sure why the Tivos don't play in sync on the PC, but that only matters for editing.

Boyd

rog
03-09-2005, 02:30 AM
Boydbob,

Your codecs are out of whack. As such, playback in any program (WMP 10, WinAmp) that uses the codecs is out of sync.

MyDVD and Nero don't use the codecs when they are transcoding the video and audio into new DVD-compliant MPEG video and PCM (or Dolby Digital) sound. They use some other mechanism, probably internal algorithms, for the transcoding to DVD.

To correct your sync issues during playback on your PC, you'll need to try different codecs.

[Coincidentally, sometimes DVD burning software gets out of sync too, separate from the codec issues. I'm having that problem with Roxio Easy Media Creator (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=228936).]

jdesai
03-09-2005, 10:53 AM
I have confirmed problems with NVE3 when making DVD on my machine. Basically, I was able to use NVE2 to make DVDs. But wanted to try NVE3 to see if cutting/editing video is any easier. As soon as I installed NVE3, I couldn't import any .tivo files. When I tried to import a file, it did NOT ask me for a password (NVE2 always did). It acted like was importing the file, but the resulting picture was half broken and sound was completely messed up.

I confirmed that this is a problem with NVE3, by uninstalling all Nero programs completely. Installed NVE2 and saw that the DVD making worked. I then 'upgraded' to NVE3 and again, same problems described in above paragraph. I am back to NVE2 now.

toots
03-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Yup. That's the modal problem.

One possible reason that it wasn't asking you for the password is that the password is already cached.

If you do try NVE3 again, try the "cache clearing" workaround described above. Many people have had good luck with it. Alternatively, you can also try the "Import to NVE when it's just started downloading" workaround, but that one only works if you haven't already downloaded the .tivo.

Boydbob
03-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Ok so how do I correct the Codec problem?

I downloaded and ran "Sherlock." I removed the indicated codecs, and installed the KLCODEC package.

Now "Sherlock" shows no codec errors, but the timing is still off.

BTW, the "cache clearing" for NVE3 worked for me. Once I found the cache, I created a shortcut to it.

I've been trying the WINAVI video converter, but so far the audio is out of sync just like Win Media Player.

Since playback on the PC isn't important to me, I think I'll just get Nero 6 Ultra.

If you hurry COMPUSA has a great IN STORE special til Mar 10th. $39.99 w/instant rebate or $19.99 w/rebate & upgrade.

Boyd

tfratzke
03-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Well, I finished my multi-title DVD burn overnight......

Sorry, been away from this thread for a long time but overnight? Are you kidding me? Plesae kill me now!

tivarino
03-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Here is how I do it:

As soon as you have the movie in the box (left hand side), click on the cut button. If the show has some commercial at the beginning, drag the right cut box (on the bar) to near the start cut. Then click on the minute or second portion of the clock (next to the up/down arrows) and using either the arrows on the screen or the up/down arrows on your keyboard, move the end until you get a black screen - NOTE there is always a black screen between commercials and shows. You may have to switch from minute to seconds and to 100th of seconds to get to the actual black screen.

Once you have that, click on the cut again. You will be asked to confirm, just say yes.

Then immediatelly click on the cut button again and do the same, except that you need to do the exercise on both ends this time (that is you need to move the start of the cut until you find the black screen between the show and the first commercial) and you will do the end as above.

Continue until you have cut all the pieces.

You will end up with a few clips on the timeline below.

Just remember that it does not change your original .tivo file, therefore you cannot mess up your original file.

Hope that helps.

Rudi

Hmmm... If you use the black screen as your cut point, your chapter image will be black, won't it? I tend to go a second or so into into the show so my chapter image shows something useful...

usnret
03-10-2005, 04:32 PM
I have the OEM version of Nero 6. I can't seem to find "make a movie" anywhere in the program. What do I have to do to get that function??
Tks

jcramos
03-11-2005, 03:03 PM
You will need to get NeroVision Express 3, There is a free trail on the nero site.

and

Thanks menor59 for the information it worked for me.

YankeeRudi
03-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Hmmm... If you use the black screen as your cut point, your chapter image will be black, won't it? I tend to go a second or so into into the show so my chapter image shows something useful...

I have just started playing with NVE2 for about a week and am still learning. One of the areas I played with was to burn TV shows (like CSI) onto DVD. It did not take me long to work out a quick way to find and cut the commercials. I also played with the chapters. What I did was to make each commercial break a chapter. What I did not like (and therefore am no longer doing) was that when I played the DVD, once I chose one of the two shows on the DVD, it displayed the chapters. I could not get the DVD set up to let me choose to view the whole show or "select a scene" like the regular DVD's.

Maybe I have not played enough with NVE2 yet.

As far as having a black screen for the chapters, when making the chapters from the already edited movie, there is no problem with you setting up the chapter break straight after the "black" screen since you have full control on where to put the break.

Rudi

YankeeRudi
03-11-2005, 04:56 PM
I have the OEM version of Nero 6. I can't seem to find "make a movie" anywhere in the program. What do I have to do to get that function??
Tks

I have the OEM version of the Nero as well. Make sure that you chose video on the main program navigator. The video will take you to the NeroVission Express. There you will find the "make a movie".

Rudi

tivarino
03-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Here's hoping that the advertising blitz going on with Roxio and being pushed to all us TIVO owners means that after the blitz is over (3/15) the .tivo code will be released to other vendors (NERO) and there will be some other players out there handling .tivo natively. Think I'm pi**ing up a rope? Probably...

Burl
03-12-2005, 01:56 AM
I am in the same boat as usnret. I can't find "Make a Movie" anywhere.

I have three different Nero applications installed as part of the OEM. Something called the Nero Smart Start, Nero Express, and NeroVision Express. None of these have an option that resembles "Make a Movie" or the "Video" option that YankeeRudi described. None of the DVD creation options will even attempt to recognize the tivo file as a valid file. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate them.

davezatz
03-12-2005, 07:58 AM
I have three different Nero applications installed as part of the OEM. Something called the Nero Smart Start, Nero Express, and NeroVision Express. None of these have an option that resembles "Make a Movie" or the "Video" option that YankeeRudi described.
NeroVision Express is the component you need. However, depending on your OEM version you may not be able to create DVDs - Mine is NVE 3 SE which won't make 'em.

dmlove51
03-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Boydbob
If you hurry COMPUSA has a great IN STORE special til Mar 10th. $39.99 w/instant rebate or $19.99 w/rebate & upgrade.

Same deal at Outpost.com (Fry's) this week.

mike_flood
03-12-2005, 11:42 AM
So, I guess I have to pay an additional $50 to upgrade it. Oh well!

The Nero 6+ package is good. They have frequent, free, maintainence updates.
I bought Nero 5 after having been burned by Roxio a couple of years ago.
Then upgraded to 6 and have been pleased with all of it.
You'll find lots of useful stuff other than just video related.

simmike
03-12-2005, 11:44 AM
NeroVision Express is the component you need. However, depending on your OEM version you may not be able to create DVDs - Mine is NVE 3 SE which won't make 'em.

For the cheapo versions of Nero, you want Nero OEM Suite version 3. This has DVD creating parts. I got this for $7.99 with free shipping. I was able to update to NeroVision Express 3 from the Nero website. Check this place:

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/SWW12252.html

naclone
03-12-2005, 03:57 PM
i've been using the methods in this thread to get around various problems as they crop up but i'm still unsuccessful in my attempts to get a disc burned. every time at about 97% (after about 3+ hours of burning), i get an burn failure error message about the disc structure. the log indicates something about "Invalid block address" and "Failed to release fragment at 3760"

anybody have any idea what is going on here?

for the record, i'm using nerovision 3 and burning straight from the make movie method. do i need to export it and burn using nero rather than nerovision?

toots
03-12-2005, 05:17 PM
I'd try that if you have the full suite.

That's the route I normally take anyway.

ghiaman
03-12-2005, 05:46 PM
i've been using the methods in this thread to get around various problems as they crop up but i'm still unsuccessful in my attempts to get a disc burned. every time at about 97% (after about 3+ hours of burning), i get an burn failure error message about the disc structure. the log indicates something about "Invalid block address" and "Failed to release fragment at 3760"

anybody have any idea what is going on here?

for the record, i'm using nerovision 3 and burning straight from the make movie method. do i need to export it and burn using nero rather than nerovision?

That sounds like it might be a media failure on the outer edge of the DVD. Have you burned many FULL capacity (using the entire 4.38GB) dvds with that media before? Try a differnt brand and/or burn something that doesn't fill the disc as a test (~3.5 - 4.0GB worth).

I only use Ritek G04 DVD-Rs because they are very reliable...

Just a thought.

naclone
03-12-2005, 06:48 PM
i'm using memorex 8x

the burner is new, so i've only used it twice - two coasters trying to record a tivo file.

i'm going to try and burn something i've downloaded from the net now and see if i have better results.

garybeck
03-12-2005, 08:20 PM
NVExpress 3 SE
just downloaded it two days ago
version 3.1.0

There is no option for "make movie"

do I have to purchase a plugin? :confused:

linuxrlz
03-12-2005, 08:23 PM
For those of you who clear the nero cache, a better way is to create a DeleteCache.bat file on your desktop that looks like this:

del /q C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Ahead\NeroVision\NVFACache\*.*

Then just double click on it and it removes the cache contents.

-jeff

ghiaman
03-12-2005, 10:16 PM
For those of you who clear the nero cache, a better way is to create a DeleteCache.bat file on your desktop that looks like this:

del /q C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Ahead\NeroVision\NVFACache\*.*

Then just double click on it and it removes the cache contents.

-jeff

Good idea :up: I have a shortcut to the directory, but your suggestion is even quicker.

naclone
03-12-2005, 11:32 PM
okay, so i was able to burn two episodes of a show i downloaded from the net onto a disc. everytime i try to play the second episode i get a dirty disc error, but i think that was just a problem with how i set up the menu, not a problem with the burn.

so it doesn't seem to be a media or burner issue.

so it's definitely something to do with the tivo file and how it's being encoded.

so frustrating. if only there was a way to do all this trial and error without taking so much time and wasting so many discs

atomat
03-12-2005, 11:49 PM
I did a study with a number of DVD creation programs and DVD players on Windows XP (SP2) to see which work with Tivo To Go. I thought my results might be of interest to readers of this thread.

As noted previously:
- The Tivo To Go (TTG) service downloads a .tivo file to your PC where you can either play it on your PC/notebook or burn it to a DVD.
- The .tivo file is basically a MPEG-2 file encoded with a special encryption.
- Installing the Tivo Desktop 2.0 program also installs the decryption module (it prompts you for a password)
- TTG is very choosy about the MPEG-2 decoders it works with. The Tivo website only lists 4 recommended decoders.
- Tivo has a marketing relationship with Sonic who sells a TTG enabled version of their MyDVD DVD creation programs on the Tivo website for $50-100.
- However others here have reported that other decoders and DVD creation programs will work with TTG. After installing Tivo Desktop 2.0 I decided to try out a number of programs I own with the following resuts:

DVD Creation Program Tests

Sonic MyDVD 6.1 from Tivo (Trial Version)
Play .tivo in Windows Media Player 10 = YES
Import/Edit/Burn DVD = YES

Nero Vision Express v.3.1 (Included with Nero Ultra 6.6 Retail Package)
Play .tivo in Windows Media Player 10 = NO
Import/Edit/Burn DVD = YES
Note: The Nero Vision Express program does not currently recognize the .tivo format as being a media file format, however you can import it by selecting ‘All Files *.*’ It will pop up the Tivo password program, and then you can edit it and burn it to a DVD as per normal.

Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 (Retail Package)
Import/Edit/Burn DVD = NO

DVD Player Tests

CyberLink PowerDVD XP 3.5.0.1814

CyberLink PowerDVD XP 4.0.2417

CyberLink PowerDVD5 5.0.0.912

CyberLink PowerDVD5 5.0.0.1031

InterVideo WinDVD 4.0.11.280

||Cypher||
03-13-2005, 02:00 AM
I don't see why using either Mydvd or NVE3 would make a difference in playing the .tivo files in WMP. My computers could always play the .tivo files in WMP when I've had either MYdvd or NvE3 installed. I had to add some codecs to my desktop in order for NVE3 to use the files.

voivod
03-13-2005, 11:43 AM
I can help you on the Quicker & Simpler method. Quicker as in I can take a 1 hour long .TiVo file, edit out the commercials, and be burned to DVD in less than a half hour. Now, is my method legal? According to TiVo, probably not. But trust me, it's not that i do it this way so i can distribute/share my .TiVo files with everyone all over the internet. I do it this way because my time is valuable to me, and i want a great quality end result.

Tony,

Please pm with details on your quicker and simpler method. I've been through this whole thread so many times and I'm tired of beating my head against the wall.

Thanks

dmlove51
03-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Question - I can use either NVE3 or MyDVD (both work on my compter, although I haven't burned a disk using NVE3 yet). If I already had both, what are the advantages to one over the other. I know LizEllis says MyDVD resulting disk quality is better than Nero, but it may take more time. Anything else (regarding editing, transcoding and burning, I don't care about support, how great Nero is as a company (I already know), etc.). Just the facts, ma'am :)

simmike
03-13-2005, 03:00 PM
Question - I can use either NVE3 or MyDVD (both work on my compter, although I haven't burned a disk using NVE3 yet). If I already had both, what are the advantages to one over the other. I know LizEllis says MyDVD resulting disk quality is better than Nero, but it may take more time. Anything else (regarding editing, transcoding and burning, I don't care about support, how great Nero is as a company (I already know), etc.). Just the facts, ma'am :)

Not sure about the latest version of MyDVD, but I think Nero provides superior transcoding and superior speed. Where MyDVD will probably win is better DVD menu system. I didn't like the fact tha MyDVD only offered constant compression rate, instead of variable (VBR.) I think you get better results with VBR.

YankeeRudi
03-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Tony,

Please pm with details on your quicker and simpler method. I've been through this whole thread so many times and I'm tired of beating my head against the wall.

Thanks

I've been going through the process as I have described before that takes up quite a long time to burn one DVD (containing 2 edited one hour shows):

- Transfer from Tivo unit to PC over wireless network (I have an 802.11g router even though it is not yet supported by Tivo for bandwith) = +/- 2 hours per show = +/- 4 hours (I transfer at night)
- Edit commecials out of shows = 3 minutes per show = 6 minutes
- Export shows to DVD (mpeg-2) format = +/- 1 hour per show = +/- 2 hours
- Set up for DVD burning (menu, etc) = 5 minutes for the two shows
- Burn DVD = +/- 20 minutes

Here is what I use:
Router: D-Link DI-624
USB Wireless Adaptor on Tivo: D-Link GWL-G120
PC: Dell Dimension 3000 P4 with HT 3.0GHz 800 FSB
(PC is connected to router via ethernet cable)
DVD burner: NEC ND3520
Software: NeroVision Express 2.0

Any idea on how to go through the process quicker?

Did the quicker and simpler method from Tony work?

davezatz
03-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Did the quicker and simpler method from Tony work?
Regardless of your method, it's going to take more time than you (I) want it to.

Tony uses GraphEdit to unlock, followed by VideoReDo to edit out commercials, followed by DVDLab to transcode, followed by Nero to burn. You may save time on the transcoding, but DVDLab and VideoReDo are not free. NeroVision Express or Sonic MyDVD will do ALL those things for less money, though it may take more time.

I'm convinced the most efficient and cost effective way to get Tivo content on DVDs is to sell the Series 2 unit on ebay and buy a Humax DVD/R model... once you factor in the software cost, rebates, and time it's pretty much a wash. Of course, you will be stuck with commericals but I figure that's offset with a nice pretty Tivo interface on the DVD. :D

toots
03-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Actually, he uses DVDLab specifically to NOT transcode, but rather just build a DVD structure around an existing MPEG, regardless of whether it's DVD compliant.

It just so happens that a lot of DVD players will handle that.

jvwong96
03-14-2005, 12:37 PM
I'm using NVE 3 and I'm stripping out the commercials, does it always have to re-encode itself? It's taking 3 hours just to burn a 1 hour long show onto DVD. Anyone know if there is something faster so I can use my PC for something else other than encoding files?

davezatz
03-14-2005, 12:47 PM
It just so happens that a lot of DVD players will handle that.
Do you know if DVDLab software or website indicates which players are supported - if not, what format can we look up on videohelp.com to see which players support it?

It looks like an interesting product (http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/index.html) and a clever hack, but the price ($100 or $199 for PRO) and the possible compatibility issues concern me. I'll futz with it this week and report for those that are interested.

jvwong96
03-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Can you send me these instructions too? I'd like to be able to use my PC for something other than burning DVD's :)

Tony,

Thanks

tfratzke
03-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Regardless of your method, it's going to take more time than you (I) want it to.

Tony uses GraphEdit to unlock, followed by VideoReDo to edit out commercials, followed by DVDLab to transcode, followed by Nero to burn. You may save time on the transcoding, but DVDLab and VideoReDo are not free. NeroVision Express or Sonic MyDVD will do ALL those things for less money, though it may take more time.

I can guarentee it's faster even with using seperate programs in place of an all-in-one package like Sonic or MyDVD. But, you're right, it's not cheaper. Some people have sent me messages about software alternatives they decided to use after trying my method that basically do the same thing that the software i use does, and they all work too. For me, time is money, and i am simply not willing to to spend hours and hours to make one measly DVD. I have seen many people (including myself) say they let Nero or MyDVD do the transcoding overnight. To me, that is unacceptable.

Case and point, last night i took a 6.5GB 2.5 hour .TiVo file and had it edited, and burned to DVD in about an 1 hour & 10 minutes. I didn't add any chapters to my DVD which would have added probably 15 additional minutes.

All i can suggest is try my way. All the software i use at least have a free trial and if you don't like it, great! At least you tried it. Who knows, maybe you'll be like others and find other software that you like better and is still quicker than Sonic & Nero.

Das Achteck
03-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Do you know if DVDLab software or website indicates which players are supported - if not, what format can we look up on videohelp to see which players support it?

It looks like an interesting product and a clever hack, but the price ($100 or $199 for PRO) and the possible compatibility issues concern me. I'll futz with it this week and report for those that are interested.

On the DVD Player search page, click on more video formats, check the DVD-SVCD box and click Search. Be aware that this is far from 100% accurate information.

DVD-lab is not a hack. It is designed to accept non-DVD compliant resolution files, in particular 480x480 SVCD. Hacks change the mpg headers to fool authoring software into thinking a file is compliant.

I have put many SVCD files on DVD with it. I hardly ever burn SVCD to a CD anymore.

NIIDeep
03-14-2005, 02:13 PM
For all those using Nero,

Is it me or is the transcoder in this s/w garbage? I consistently get "worse" video than the original .tivo file, ex. increased graininess, some macroblocking, just general video degredation.

Here'e what I did....

- Menor95's technique to get .tivo into Nero Vision Express 3
- Edit out the commercials.
- EXPORT it
- DVD format configured with the following:
- 2-pass VBR
- highest quality or best quality setting
- also tried custom options and set resolution to half D1, 352x480

The results ar every dissappointing.

I'm using another s/w to do the transcoding... to compare.

toots
03-14-2005, 02:22 PM
Personally, I find all of this low-end DVD authoring software (Sonic, Nero) to be entirely too limited in what it can do and when it does it.

I'm thinking of paying full freight for DVDLab Pro.

NIIDeep
03-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Personally, I find all of this low-end DVD authoring software (Sonic, Nero) to be entirely too limited in what it can do and when it does it.

I'm thinking of paying full freight for DVDLab Pro.

Just to make sure you know what your getting into.... DVDLab Pro is purely a DVD authoring program and it's probably much better than Nero. Hoewver, it doesn't really do transcoding, or it doesn't to it well. And it doesn't read .tivo files.

You still need something to do that which is fobidden to talk about here- i.e. conversion.

Nero seems to offer some limited transcoding capabilities but as I said the results are mediocre.

Wanted to let you know before you drop $200 on something that will only get you part of the way.

toots
03-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Understood. Thanks.

Yeah, I'm thinking about it, anyway.

clockman
03-14-2005, 09:57 PM
I've been following this thread from the beginning and appreciate all of the helpful input. With that help, I seem to have avoided some of the problems that others have shared. I'm using Nero NVE3 with no corruption problem at all (dumping the cache is the secret here). However, I am having two new problems. The first is editing the commercials. I select a range and cut, (tedious though that is), but they don't actually get cut. They are still there. I can't edit them out. The second problem is the exported file size. I exported a 2 hour Tivo show overnight that produced a 26 GB file! Yeah, 26 Gigabytes! Yesterday, I exported the same show into 8 GB. Still too big to send to DVD. Has anyone seen this before? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Boydbob
03-15-2005, 02:51 AM
Clockman
You have to use the Scissor Tool, not the split tool.

I find the start and end of the commercial and write them down.
Then I click on the Scissor tool - select the left marker - click on the counter and type in the start time - select the right marker - click on the counter and type in the end time - Click on the scissor tool again to complete the cut.

I start at the end of the file and work backward because the preview window shows the time for the edited video, but the cut window shows the time for the entire video.

If you cut out 3 minutes near the beginning, then find a spot further on you want to edit out, the preview window might show a time of 00:15:00:00

But in the cut window that spot will be at 00:18:00:00.

So if you edit commercials from the end of the video, the preview window and the cut window will stay in sync.

Hope this makes sense.

I'm starting to keep a pad handy to jot down commercial time locations when I watch videos on my Tivo, so they'll be easier to find when I edit them in Nerovision.

Boyd

YankeeRudi
03-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Clockman
You have to use the Scissor Tool, not the split tool.

I find the start and end of the commercial and write them down.
Then I click on the Scissor tool - select the left marker - click on the counter and type in the start time - select the right marker - click on the counter and type in the end time - Click on the scissor tool again to complete the cut.

I start at the end of the file and work backward because the preview window shows the time for the edited video, but the cut window shows the time for the entire video.

If you cut out 3 minutes near the beginning, then find a spot further on you want to edit out, the preview window might show a time of 00:15:00:00

But in the cut window that spot will be at 00:18:00:00.

So if you edit commercials from the end of the video, the preview window and the cut window will stay in sync.

Hope this makes sense.

I'm starting to keep a pad handy to jot down commercial time locations when I watch videos on my Tivo, so they'll be easier to find when I edit them in Nerovision.

Boyd

I don't know how long it takes you to get the commercials cut (as well having to remember to write down when they come up), but I manage to cut the commercial for a 1 hour show in about 2 minutes for a show that I have not even watched.

I let Tivo record shows that I want to burn to DVD to watch on the train (my commute is 50 minutes each way).

Here is the way I remove commercials:
(I am making the assumption at this point that the movie/show is ready for editing - it is in the left hand window of the "make a movie" utility of NVE2/3)

1. As soon as the movie is displayed in the left hand window, check whether there are any commercial up front.

2. If the movie/show has a few seconds of commercial before the show starts:
(a) Click on the scissors round button
(b) Click on and move the right hand scissor on the bar (just under the movie window) all the way to the left
(c) Click on the seconds portion of the time display (next to the check button)
(d) Using either the up arrow on your keyboard or the up arrow on the right of the time, click until you get past the commercial. Between commercials and shows there is always at least one black frame. The goal is to get to that frame. If moving up/down on the seconds portion does not get you the black screen, you may have to click on the 1/100 second portion and go up/down to get to the black screen.
(e) Click on the scissor button again to cut the section

3. If the show has no commercials at the beginning or if you have completed the initial step for those that have a commercial up front, the other commercials can be cut as follows:
(a) Click on the scissors round button
(b) click on the left hand scissor on the bar (just under the movie window)
(c) Click on the minutes portion of the time display (next to the check button)
(d) Using either the up arrow on your keyboard or the up arrow on the right of the time, click until you get to the first commercial.
(e) Click on the seconds portion of the time display (next to the check button)
(f) Using either the down arrow on your keyboard or the down arrow on the right of the time, click until you get past the commercial. Between commercials and shows there is always at least one black frame. The goal is to get to that frame. If moving up/down on the seconds portion does not get you the black screen, you may have to click on the 1/100 second portion and go up/down to get to the black screen.
(g) Click on the scissor button again to cut the section

4. Repeat step 3 for each commercial.

When finding the black frame between commercials and shows, make sure that you do not take the first black screen, because there are times when there will be a black screen between commercials and/or other show promotions.

With practice you will be able to cut out commercials for a one hour show in about 2 minutes.

Good luck

Rudi

usnret
03-15-2005, 01:26 PM
Question about Nero. I just checked their site and they are advertising "Nero Reload". Does anyone know if "Reload" has all the atributes needed to burn dvd's as described in this thread?? Also, I also use an ATI card to record movies to my HD. Would this "Reload" convert the "vcr" files that ATI makes to something that I can burn?? If all of this is possible, I am looking at upgrading my OEM to "Reload". Any advise would be appreciated. Tks

NIIDeep
03-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Question about Nero. I just checked their site and they are advertising "Nero Reload". Does anyone know if "Reload" has all the atributes needed to burn dvd's as described in this thread?? Also, I also use an ATI card to record movies to my HD. Would this "Reload" convert the "vcr" files that ATI makes to something that I can burn?? If all of this is possible, I am looking at upgrading my OEM to "Reload". Any advise would be appreciated. Tks

I don't know anything about Nero Reload... but...

Your ATI s/w should allow you to directly capture to MPEG2 therebye bypassing any need to convert. There should a setting in Multimedia Center to change the format from VCR files to MPEG2. Also you should have the option to capture to AVI as well.

toots
03-15-2005, 03:05 PM
You mean Nero Recode?

Seems mainly interested in transcoding DVDs. I've been playing with it for the last few mins, and am puzzled as to how to even get it to acknowledge a standard MPEG without going off into the weeds for an hour.

snakeimay
03-15-2005, 05:02 PM
Nice! Glad it worked for you!

Can you enlighten me too please?

RonnieT24
03-15-2005, 08:12 PM
New to the forum but have a couple of insights I haven't seen posted so thought I'd share.

1) Editing in VisionExpress

Did you know you can position your cursor on the time display and type in the time offset you wish to go to. Soon as you hit enter you are instantly moved to that point in the recording. This makes clipping commercials go REALLY fast. Since we know most commercial breaks are in the area of 3 minutes you just add 3 minutes to the position at the end of the segment you're watching and bam... you are advanced to the beginning of the commercial. Just hit split right there and then you can clip it out immediately. If you miss by a couple of seconds either way you just use the up or down arrow to navigate. This cuts your trimming down to a matter of 2-3 minutes per show.

I also notice that a show segment is typically in the area of 7 minutes. So I just jump forward 7 minutes and again use the up and down area to move around till I find the next commercial and do the 3 minute thingy all over again.

You can also use the arrows during playback while in edit mode as well.

2) I have Nero 6 and MyDVD 5. Along with Ulead Movie Factory 7.0 and ArcSoft Showbiz 1.3.2.87. To be honest. None is perfect.

SHowbiz is the worst, it hangs, craps out etc more than the others but their interface is the most intuitive for me so it was my editor of choice until I had pulled all my hair out from all the errors.

Ulead is okay but kinda clunky and it doesn't offer any compression capabilities so it's hard to squeeze more than one hour worth of programming ( one show ) on a 4.7 DVD.

MyDVD was okay at 4.5.2 but it would hang periodically on my Windows XP system so I upgraded to 5 and now it hangs all the time.

Nero is the best of the lot and I had high hopes after I burned 4 consecutive DVDs (Stargate SG-1 episodes by the way) without fail. Then out of the blue I started making coasters. Before I would test each one in my player before burning another but after 4 successes I stopped doing so. I made 4 more and when I went to test them.. coasters.. Read error in my player, even though the computer could read them just fine. I tried the remove cache method last night but had to crash before it finished. Will check the result of that when I get home and post it.

3) I have a copy of Cyberlink PowerDVD that I have yet to unwrap. If anyone has experience with that please share.

Ronnie T.

NIIDeep
03-15-2005, 09:29 PM
New to the forum but have a couple of insights I haven't seen posted so thought I'd share.

1) Editing in VisionExpress

Did you know you can position your cursor on the time display and type in the time offset you wish to go to. Soon as you hit enter you are instantly moved to that point in the recording. This makes clipping commercials go REALLY fast. Since we know most commercial breaks are in the area of 3 minutes you just add 3 minutes to the position at the end of the segment you're watching and bam... you are advanced to the beginning of the commercial. Just hit split right there and then you can clip it out immediately. If you miss by a couple of seconds either way you just use the up or down arrow to navigate. This cuts your trimming down to a matter of 2-3 minutes per show.

I also notice that a show segment is typically in the area of 7 minutes. So I just jump forward 7 minutes and again use the up and down area to move around till I find the next commercial and do the 3 minute thingy all over again.

You can also use the arrows during playback while in edit mode as well.

Wow... thanks for the tip!!! I may have to revisit Nero sometime.... I've since moved onto other areas.

Nero is the best of the lot and I had high hopes after I burned 4 consecutive DVDs (Stargate SG-1 episodes by the way) without fail. Then out of the blue I started making coasters. Before I would test each one in my player before burning another but after 4 successes I stopped doing so. I made 4 more and when I went to test them.. coasters.. Read error in my player, even though the computer could read them just fine. I tried the remove cache method last night but had to crash before it finished. Will check the result of that when I get home and post it.

hmmm.. not sure about this because it could be related to a variety of reasons. Unfortunately I don't use Nero to author DVDs. But try different "higher" quality media. It's possible you got a bad lot. I usually do a test burn on a +/-RW media before I burn to a +/-R media.

3) I have a copy of Cyberlink PowerDVD that I have yet to unwrap. If anyone has experience with that please share.

I have used this and WinDVD. They're both just typical DVD s/w players. Neither is any better or worse than the other IMHO. Nothng special but good DVD s/w players nonetheless.

simmike
03-15-2005, 09:32 PM
Coasters are more often than not flaky media. Or maybe burning at too high a speed. One quick test I do with DVDs is to put them in my standalone DVD player and fast forward through the whole disk at the highest scan speed. If you have problems, it will freeze somewhere. This might not catch all problems, but it is a good quick test.

RonnieT24
03-16-2005, 01:46 AM
So I get home and violah! My burn is completed and it appears for all the world it works on my DVD player. It gets hung up when I attempt to fast forward but if I just sit and watch the quality is outstanding. So I am now convinced of two things. 1) Nero is in fact the way to go and 2) The cheap DVD-Rs I got at Frys are barely worth whatever they're printed on .. Sigh..

Still I can now burn two hours of video in under 15 minutes using Nero with smart encoding enabled. I find that if you export your clippage to a NVE Export file very little transcoding is necessary at the time of the burn. The export process takes about 8 minutes for an hour show.. well 45 minutes after the commercials are tirmmed. I use a 2.4 GHz P4 and 1.5 Gb of DDR so horsepower I have aplenty. What this means is that I can now take 2 episodes of my favorite show, edit the commercials out in under 5 minutes apiece, export them to NVE format in 8 minutes apiece then burn them onto DVD in ~15 minutes. That's a little more than a half hour from the time I sit down at my computer till I'm testing the DVD in my player. Of course I negledted to mention that I capture my stuff from the TiVo unit onto a 200 GB Western Digitial USB drive attached to my laptop then unplug it, walk it upstairs and start choppin it up on my desktop. Previously I had to engage in the pain of transferring files from the laptop to the desktop via network. As someone stated earilier.. shoot me now.. was exactly how I felt. I gather from what I've read here that you guys have come up with an even better method, actually logging into the TiVo and working directly off the files from Linux. I don't expect to be spoonfed the info, just point me to the place in the thread that describes this procedure and I shall sally forth on my own

Ronnie T.

RonnieT24
03-16-2005, 01:52 AM
Wow... thanks for the tip!!! I may have to revisit Nero sometime.... I've since moved onto other areas.

I found that this also works for SHowbiz and the new editing tool in MyDVD 5 as well.

hmmm.. not sure about this because it could be related to a variety of reasons. Unfortunately I don't use Nero to author DVDs. But try different "higher" quality media. It's possible you got a bad lot. I usually do a test burn on a +/-RW media before I burn to a +/-R media.

I would too.. but my player is 5 years old and doesn't read DVD-RW. Yeah.. it was top of the line when I bought it.. now I can get more features for 50 bucks!!

I have used this and WinDVD. They're both just typical DVD s/w players. Neither is any better or worse than the other IMHO. Nothng special but good DVD s/w players nonetheless.

I have not noticed any appreciable difference in players except that WMP stinks out loud..

RonnieT24
03-16-2005, 01:58 AM
I've been following this thread from the beginning and appreciate all of the helpful input. With that help, I seem to have avoided some of the problems that others have shared. I'm using Nero NVE3 with no corruption problem at all (dumping the cache is the secret here). However, I am having two new problems. The first is editing the commercials. I select a range and cut, (tedious though that is), but they don't actually get cut. They are still there. I can't edit them out. The second problem is the exported file size. I exported a 2 hour Tivo show overnight that produced a 26 GB file! Yeah, 26 Gigabytes! Yesterday, I exported the same show into 8 GB. Still too big to send to DVD. Has anyone seen this before? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

See my tip below for faster editing. I find that splitting at the mark rather than cutting works better. I suspect that when you cut on your mark it re-inserts the full video file in append mode. I seem to recall seeing something like this when I tried using cut. What you want to do is go to edit mode, split on the commercial boundaries, then go to the storyboard and delete the commercials on the storyboard then export the result. Drag the mouse over each remaining segment to be sure it's the size you want. Don't click on the segment.. just leave the mouse there for a second and it will tell you how much time it is.. Also when you export make sure you're only exporting the single movie you're interested in and not all the video you've imported in to the project. Oh yeah I forgot.. Make sure you save your project before you export.

Hope this helps..

YankeeRudi
03-16-2005, 08:54 AM
Still I can now burn two hours of video in under 15 minutes using Nero with smart encoding enabled. I find that if you export your clippage to a NVE Export file very little transcoding is necessary at the time of the burn. The export process takes about 8 minutes for an hour show.. well 45 minutes after the commercials are tirmmed. I use a 2.4 GHz P4 and 1.5 Gb of DDR so horsepower I have aplenty. What this means is that I can now take 2 episodes of my favorite show, edit the commercials out in under 5 minutes apiece, export them to NVE format in 8 minutes apiece then burn them onto DVD in ~15 minutes. That's a little more than a half hour from the time I sit down at my computer till I'm testing the DVD in my player.

My editing of the commercials takes about 2-3 minutes each using the method I described earlier. However, my exporting after cuting out the commercial takes about one hour for the 45 minute shows (one hour show less commercials). How did you get it down to 8 minutes? I use a 3.0GHz P4 and 512 Gb RAM. Do you thinks it is the RAM? The DVD burning time matches your as well.

Rudi

RonnieT24
03-16-2005, 12:36 PM
My editing of the commercials takes about 2-3 minutes each using the method I described earlier. However, my exporting after cuting out the commercial takes about one hour for the 45 minute shows (one hour show less commercials). How did you get it down to 8 minutes? I use a 3.0GHz P4 and 512 Gb RAM. Do you thinks it is the RAM? The DVD burning time matches your as well.

Rudi

Did you really mean 512Gb of RAM? Man that's a lot.. I assume you ment Mb.. which I found was not nearly enough for the memory intensive portion of the process. i.e. exporting and transcoding. I was 768 Mb at first and doubled it to 1.5 Gb and now my exports blaze. I am also using Kingston DDR 3200 which might be significant as well. Now I have a new quirk. After attempting to load NVE2 in place of NVE3 I found it worked worse so I reloaded NVE3. Now my burns take 5 times as long as they did before. I have added the wrinkle of doing chapters so I can jump around in the video, which is very cool by the way, but that really slows things down. I plan to try a couple more burns like this then maybe completely remove and reinstall Nero and see what happens.

YankeeRudi
03-16-2005, 02:00 PM
Did you really mean 512Gb of RAM? Man that's a lot.. I assume you ment Mb.. which I found was not nearly enough for the memory intensive portion of the process. i.e. exporting and transcoding. I was 768 Mb at first and doubled it to 1.5 Gb and now my exports blaze. I am also using Kingston DDR 3200 which might be significant as well. Now I have a new quirk. After attempting to load NVE2 in place of NVE3 I found it worked worse so I reloaded NVE3. Now my burns take 5 times as long as they did before. I have added the wrinkle of doing chapters so I can jump around in the video, which is very cool by the way, but that really slows things down. I plan to try a couple more burns like this then maybe completely remove and reinstall Nero and see what happens.

I guess that if I had 512 GB of RAM I'd be in paradise. Thanks for bringing me back to earth.
When you had 768 MB, how long did it take you to eport a show?
Also, did you manage to get it down to 8 minutes on NVE2 or NVE3? I currently run NVE2.

RonnieT24
03-16-2005, 03:36 PM
I guess that if I had 512 GB of RAM I'd be in paradise. Thanks for bringing me back to earth.
When you had 768 MB, how long did it take you to eport a show?
Also, did you manage to get it down to 8 minutes on NVE2 or NVE3? I currently run NVE2.

That's kinda hard to say since back when I was at 768 I was primarily using Showbiz for editing and MyDVD for burning. Then I would:

1) Edit the file using SHowbiz

2) Save the resultant clipped file to mpeg2.

This would compress the 3Gb of video down to ~600Mb by the way which was why I loved it. There was a small loss in picture quality but I found it acceptable. (I no longer feel that way, see below) That would pretty much take 45 minutes for 45 minutes of footage.

3) Import the clipped file(s) into MyDVD.. This went pretty quick (7-8 minutes) presumably because I was importing a much smaller file.

4) Burn.. typical burn times were in the 35-40 minute range for 100 minutes or so of the show..

Once these two tools had caused me to rip all my hair out it dawned on me that Nero also had video editing capabilities.. So I started trying him out. I was at NVE3 pretty much from the get go so I have no experience with NVE2 except for the few minutes after I tried to use it in place of NVE3 the other night.. About that same time, I decided to move as much memory as I could onto my main machine. I has been running two desktops both with 768Mb. Frys had a sale on the 512 DDR3200 so I added that to the main box.. then decided to fill all three slots with the 512s and leave my older box with just two 256s. That one is basically just my wife getting onto AOL these days so who cares?

Anyway.. on the new configuration (2.4 GHz, 1.5Gb RAM, 8x burner) with Nero6 and NVE3(.0.14 I think) what I do is the following:

1) Import raw video to NVE (3-5 minutes for an hour show)
2) Clip the commercials (3-5 minutes, and falling as I get faster about it)
3) Export the clipped footage to an NVEExport.mpg file. (5-10 minutes)
4) Import the Exported file over top of the original in the project. (3-4 minutes)
5) Since I do two shows per DVD, I repeat 1-4 again.
6) Save the project. (Actually one should save pretty much at every checkpoint along the way)
7) Burn.. Until I tried the NVE2 thing buring took < 15 minutes for two episodes or roughly 100 minutes of footage. Now it takes about an hour and twenty minutes. I have not isolated what caused the elongated burning times. Either NVE2 left something in the registry that is still being used and is hurting my output performance or adding chapters causes it to have to do more work. Then again, now that I think about it I don't re-export after I do the chapters and I probably should. I suspect the creation of the chapters introduces a significant amount of work to the transcoding process. I leave all the settings on automatic. I am inclined to think that it was the chapters that elongated my recording time because the first hour of my burn process is spent "transcoding" ... Hopefully if I do the chapter thing BEFORE I export I can eliminate that. I'll let yall know..

But the payoff.. I burned two DVDs yesterday and the quality was so good I nearly had an orgasm watching them. I was able to fast forward through AND since I created chapters, I could jump around in the show just like it was a professionally produced DVD.. I can hardly contain my excitement because now, even if it does take an hour per burn, I can live with that as long as the end result is of the quality I received.

YankeeRudi
03-16-2005, 05:16 PM
1) Import raw video to NVE (3-5 minutes for an hour show)
2) Clip the commercials (3-5 minutes, and falling as I get faster about it)
3) Export the clipped footage to an NVEExport.mpg file. (5-10 minutes)
4) Import the Exported file over top of the original in the project. (3-4 minutes)
5) Since I do two shows per DVD, I repeat 1-4 again.
6) Save the project. (Actually one should save pretty much at every checkpoint along the way)
7) Burn..

Just a few quick questions:
Your 1) Import - you're talking about importing to your project from your Tivo directory on your PC, and getting it ready for editing, right? - Because this just takes a few seconds for me.
Your 3) Export - you are referring to the export of the edited Tivo file to NVEExport.mpg (or any other name file, right?

If your export is only taking you 5-10 minutes for each show, you must be one of the lucky ones because most of the other comments I have come across have been at best 1 minute per minute of video.

Rudi

clockman
03-16-2005, 06:24 PM
I thank all of you who offered suggestions on how best to edit commercials. I will try those methods.

RonnieT24 , great post! But can you clarify step #4 for me,

Is this because you are burning two shows to a single DVD?

Or am I missing something very important?

mikey60
03-16-2005, 10:55 PM
I am sorry if this is off topic, but I am using NVE3 and when I try to export, I do not have the option to export to DVD. I have had it once before, but cannot find it again. Is it necessary to export shows to DVD in order to burn them, or am I missing something in Nero. Again, thanks for any and all help in pointing me in the right direction.

NIIDeep
03-16-2005, 11:55 PM
Still I can now burn two hours of video in under 15 minutes using Nero with smart encoding enabled. I find that if you export your clippage to a NVE Export file very little transcoding is necessary at the time of the burn. The export process takes about 8 minutes for an hour show.. well 45 minutes after the commercials are tirmmed. I use a 2.4 GHz P4 and 1.5 Gb of DDR so horsepower I have aplenty.
Ronnie T.

Ronnie T. ,

I hate to question you but I find it very hard to believe that you are able to achieve 8 minute export (transcode) times. I've fooled around with my Nero settings every which way and the best I can do is for every 1 minute of video it will take 2 minutes to transcode. How are you exporting it so that "little transcoding" occurs? What export template do you use if any or what are your settings? I thought maybe enabling SmartEncode was your answer but it doesn't really do much... maybe speeds up a few minutes. Also let's compare apples to apples. What Tivo quality are your .tivo files - Best Qual, High Qual, Medium, or Basic?

I tried High and Best quality .tivo files and they take more than 8 minutes for 1 hour's worth of video. This is on a 3.11Ghz P4 HyperThreaded with 1 GB of RAM and I am using WD 8MB buffer 200 GB SE drives as well.

It seems that you are indeed somehow avoiding the transcoding process but I'm not sure how. What resolution is your output file? 480x480, 352x480, 720x480?

I'm very interested in how you did this. I would appreciate andy insight you can provide.

Thanks.

NIIDeep
03-16-2005, 11:59 PM
I am sorry if this is off topic, but I am using NVE3 and when I try to export, I do not have the option to export to DVD. I have had it once before, but cannot find it again. Is it necessary to export shows to DVD in order to burn them, or am I missing something in Nero. Again, thanks for any and all help in pointing me in the right direction.

I saw this too when I installed Nero on my laptop. I think it's related to the fact that my laptop, though it has a DVD-ROM and CD-RW combo, it did not have a DVD burning capabilities. It looks like Nero looks for this during install and if you don't have a DVD writer installed, it won't install the DVD export template... which really sucks!! I wanted to use my laptop to do transcoding while I worked on my main computer and I can't do this. Very stupid restriction Nero placed in it's s/w.

goony
03-17-2005, 12:07 AM
For the Linux fans out there: http://ww2.nero.com/us/NeroLINUX.html

RonnieT24
03-17-2005, 12:55 AM
Ronnie T. ,

I hate to question you but I find it very hard to believe that you are able to achieve 8 minute export (transcode) times. I've fooled around with my Nero settings every which way and the best I can do is for every 1 minute of video it will take 2 minutes to transcode. How are you exporting it so that "little transcoding" occurs? What export template do you use if any or what are your settings? I thought maybe enabling SmartEncode was your answer but it doesn't really do much... maybe speeds up a few minutes. Also let's compare apples to apples. What Tivo quality are your .tivo files - Best Qual, High Qual, Medium, or Basic?

I tried High and Best quality .tivo files and they take more than 8 minutes for 1 hour's worth of video. This is on a 3.11Ghz P4 HyperThreaded with 1 GB of RAM and I am using WD 8MB buffer 200 GB SE drives as well.

It seems that you are indeed somehow avoiding the transcoding process but I'm not sure how. What resolution is your output file? 480x480, 352x480, 720x480?

I'm very interested in how you did this. I would appreciate andy insight you can provide.

Thanks.

No need to feel bad about questioning.. We're all here trying to get and give information to try to enhance our TiVo and burning experience.

I'm not sure you caught it before, but I am not burning from .tivo files. I haven't gotten around to implementing that solution yet. Currently I use a capture device to save my video to the USB drive. They come down as MPEG files at I believe 48 frames per second or whatever the highest quality my Avermedia USB capture device can grab it at. I do capture from the S-Video port. The quality is tremendous and the resolution is 720x480.

My HW config:

2.4 GHz P4
1.5Gb DDR3200 RAM
160 Gb Seagate IDE Drive
80 Gb Western Digital IDE Drive
100 Gb Wester Digital USB Drive

SW:

Windows XP HOME (initial install, no updates)
Nero OEM 6.6
NVE3 3.
InCD 4.0.11

As you know, the difference between processor speeds is imperceptable until you get to multiples of 4 or 5 times. But the ability cache huge amounts of the work in memory has to be the kicker. I didn't see the jump in transcoding speed until I doubled the memory. I am working late tonight so no chance to play with it further to see if I can pinpoint what's happening. As I said I leave all the settings at automatic and still get extremely high quality output, though according to the DVD info the resultant files are 29 fps.. Sorry if some of these numbers and software versions are off .. I'm going from memory.

A few things I do to get better performance based on my 20-odd years in the computer business.

1) I never read from and write to the same disk. Disk contention can kill you. I import from the USB disk, then export to one of the others.. then of course burn to the DVD drive.

2) Always export the file to disk with whatever changes you make included. I did see looooonnnnnggg burn times when I merely clipped the changes in the session file and then allowed transcoding to take place during the burn.

3) Watch memory leaks while you work. I've noticed that explorer.exe and mixer.exe, both standard Microsoft issue, seem to go iinto memory hogging loops periodically when I'm working with video. Killing them doesn't speed things up for the current burn.. seems like whatever damage they do lives for a while, probably some deficiency in the page reaping capability of Windows, but after a while all their memory is freed up and performance goes back to normal.

4) In a similar vein, do as little else on the working computer as possible. Even when it's going fast sitting there watching the computer work for 10-15 minutes at a time is still like watching paint dry so one gets an itch to DO something.. Find the laptop and let that sucker crunch. Seems like anything you do to disturb him doubles the transcode time.. Literally..

Happy burning!

Ronnie T.

NIIDeep
03-17-2005, 02:25 AM
I'm not sure you caught it before, but I am not burning from .tivo files. I haven't gotten around to implementing that solution yet. Currently I use a capture device to save my video to the USB drive. They come down as MPEG files...

Ahh.. I did miss that part and that pretty much explains everything. Your files are captured to MPEG. No transcoding is really needed because you're already in the format you need. But since you clipped your files... s/w has a tendency to do two things.. re-transcode (like TMPGEnc) or save as is (like Womble MPEG-VCR). In Nero's case, it seems to do a little transcoding. It makes perfect sense now.

I, on the other hand, work with the encrypted .tivo files directly from Tivo. Sad thing is that the time it takes me download the show is approximately the same time it takes you to capture it. So currently there's not advantage here.

I then have to transcode, etc. I guess the only question is whether the quality of the results between the two methods is the same. Most likely they're comparable.

Anyways.... thanks for explaining your scenario. I'm not so sure that doubling your memory is the reason your transcode time is reduced. It could be. You can check memory usage by doing a CTRL-ALT-DEL in Win XP and clicking on the "Performance" tab on Task Manager. In the lower middle right hand part of the window will be stats on your Physical Memory usage. When I transcode, my memory usage maxes out around 570MB, so not all of my memory is being used. Interesting to note for me is that Nero seems to take advantage of HT on my processor. Both threads are about 75% utilized.

Thanks.

mikey60
03-17-2005, 09:20 AM
Is the answer as simple as un-installing and then re-installing NVE3 with my DVD burner plugged into my laptop?

mikey60
03-17-2005, 09:22 AM
I saw this too when I installed Nero on my laptop. I think it's related to the fact that my laptop, though it has a DVD-ROM and CD-RW combo, it did not have a DVD burning capabilities. It looks like Nero looks for this during install and if you don't have a DVD writer installed, it won't install the DVD export template... which really sucks!! I wanted to use my laptop to do transcoding while I worked on my main computer and I can't do this. Very stupid restriction Nero placed in it's s/w.

Sorry about the post above without the quote, but my question is related to this post.

Is the answer as simple as un-installing and re-installing my NVE3 software with my DVD burner plugged in?

lordbah
03-17-2005, 09:35 AM
As long as we're talking about Nero ... does anyone have a cover template for a DVD case? I bought a few of the Memorex blanks, which include a case with a transparent outer bit and some lined paper where you are supposed to write the contents (back of case, spline, front of case, all one piece of paper), then you slide the paper under the transparent bit. The templates which I find on the Nero web site seem to be for CD cases only.

NIIDeep
03-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Sorry about the post above without the quote, but my question is related to this post.

Is the answer as simple as un-installing and re-installing my NVE3 software with my DVD burner plugged in?

Well.. we can try and see how "smart" (or dumb) Nero s/w is. Try plugging in your DVD burner, start up Nero, and see if you get the "DVD" option back. It would be nice if Nero detects the addition of the burner and enable the option. Otherwise, do a re-install.

Unfortunately, I do not have a DVD burner that will interface with my laptop to try this out. So I'm just guessing here.

Let me know what you find out. I'm interested in seeing if this fixes the issue.

RonnieT24
03-17-2005, 04:28 PM
I thank all of you who offered suggestions on how best to edit commercials. I will try those methods.

RonnieT24 , great post! But can you clarify step #4 for me,

Is this because you are burning two shows to a single DVD?

Or am I missing something very important?

#4 is necessary because when you complete your editing and click <save> you really haven't done a damn thing to the original file. All you've really done is told NVE what to do with the file when asked to burn it. However once you export it you have saved a copy of the video WITH the changes you've made incorporated. So in order to have your project now point to YOUR version of the video rather than the original, you have to import your version. Once that's done you can delete the original "virtual" copy that Nero knows about from the project. This step would be necessary regardless of how many shows..

Hope that clears it up..

RonnieT24
03-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Just a few quick questions:
Your 1) Import - you're talking about importing to your project from your Tivo directory on your PC, and getting it ready for editing, right? - Because this just takes a few seconds for me.

You must have more horsepower than I. Sometimes mine go really quickly, other times it takes several minutes. Haven't delved into why yet.

Your 3) Export - you are referring to the export of the edited Tivo file to NVEExport.mpg (or any other name file, right?

Yes I am.. Obviously you can change the name to anything you want.. I was just being generic for simplicity.

If your export is only taking you 5-10 minutes for each show, you must be one of the lucky ones because most of the other comments I have come across have been at best 1 minute per minute of video.

Rudi

My import is typically from a folder either on my USB drive or one of my internal disks. I assume by now you must have seen my post to NII relating the fact that my files are captured from the TiVo S-Video port via an Avermedia USB capture device. I have not yet hacked my TiVo so that I can work directly with the .tivo files. If what I'm reading is true that those files are encrypted and take forever when transcoding, I'm wondering what the benefit is. If in fact transdoding .tivo files takes 1x realtime AT BEST, why would I do that? Sure the capture device cost me 150 bucks but it does a really good job for me. My main concern is burning it out from overwork. Since it can capture at up to 60 frames per second to MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 files I get excellent quality raw video to work with. It also has a "transcode" option .. well not the device but the capture software, Intervideo WinDVR3, but I have not played with that. Since it saves the files to MPEG-2 at the time of capture I can only assume it's doing some transcoding right then and there.

The one advantage I see to working directly with the .tivo files is that you can work with them without actually having watched them. But if ya do that then how do you know you got a good recording off the dish to begin with? Nothing worse than doin all this work to save garbled video.

RonnieT24
03-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Well.. we can try and see how "smart" (or dumb) Nero s/w is. Try plugging in your DVD burner, start up Nero, and see if you get the "DVD" option back. It would be nice if Nero detects the addition of the burner and enable the option. Otherwise, do a re-install.

Unfortunately, I do not have a DVD burner that will interface with my laptop to try this out. So I'm just guessing here.

Let me know what you find out. I'm interested in seeing if this fixes the issue.

I don't believe it should be necessary to do this. I moved a second DVD burner onto my system two days ago and Nero recognized it without any intervention from me. Since the new one was faster than my old one it even recognized it as the top option in the pulldown list. You may have to stop and restart him, but I think he detects new hardware automagically.

NIIDeep
03-17-2005, 05:45 PM
I have not yet hacked my TiVo so that I can work directly with the .tivo files. If what I'm reading is true that those files are encrypted and take forever when transcoding, I'm wondering what the benefit is.

Just to clarify.. there's no "hacking" required to get the .tivo files to transfer to your computer. You only need three things: 1) a USB network adapter to plug into your Tivo (wired or wireless, although there's restrictions to the models you can use) 2) Tivo Desktop (or web browser for "browser method") 3) Media Access Key from Tivo. You don't need Linux really unless you use that OS. Everything works in Win XP. With this set up you can transfer files to your computer or laptop with Tivo2Go and watch them with Windows Media Player 10. Now to burn shows to DVD, you'll need MyDVD or Nero with only the first one being endorsed by Tivo. Nero just happens to work with some "massaging". Although .tivo files are MPEG2 by nature they are not DVD compliant MPEG2. Therefore transcoding must happen to get to DVD compliant MPEG2. As a byproduct of this transcoding, the encryption is "removed". At this point, you use this file to burn to DVD. Encryption only comes into play if you just want to watch the .tivo files directly. It is not a huge deal as long as you have the DirectShow filters and supply the proper password which you created. It's just Tivo's attempt to make sure that you and only you are watching the shows you recorded on your computer. If you give your .tivo files to a friend, you'll need to provide him your password to allow him to watch it. The "hacking" part comes into play for people who want to remove the encryption from the .tivo file without transcode. There's various ways to do this but I'm not allowed to discuss this here. So again no"hacking" is really necessary to get .tivo files to your computer.

The one advantage I see to working directly with the .tivo files is that you can work with them without actually having watched them. But if ya do that then how do you know you got a good recording off the dish to begin with? Nothing worse than doin all this work to save garbled video.

Again you can view them with Windows Media Player 10.

RonnieT24
03-17-2005, 07:46 PM
Just to clarify.. there's no "hacking" required to get the .tivo files to transfer to your computer. You only need three things: 1) a USB network adapter to plug into your Tivo (wired or wireless, although there's restrictions to the models you can use) 2) Tivo Desktop (or web browser for "browser method") 3) Media Access Key from Tivo. You don't need Linux really unless you use that OS. Everything works in Win XP. With this set up you can transfer files to your computer or laptop with Tivo2Go and watch them with Windows Media Player 10.

Ohhhh now I get it.. I'm pretty spoiled about watching stuff on my bigscreen, but watching the DVDs or saved files on my laptop has come in handy on long plane flights.

Now to burn shows to DVD, you'll need MyDVD or Nero with only the first one being endorsed by Tivo.

Wow.. do they know MyDVD is fulla holes?

[ Hacking stuff clipped ]

Again you can view them with Windows Media Player 10.

Thanks for the clarifications [ deleted ] .. I had clearly acquired the wrong impression about the use of the .tivo files. I suppose I will get around to playing with them presently..

Jem
03-17-2005, 08:14 PM

I felt the same, until I discovered this...

In NVE3's opening page, click More >> and then Configure...
Check the option: "Enable all supported recorder formats for the Image Recorder"

Et Voila! Now the DVD projects are enabled even though there is no DVD burner.

mikey60
03-17-2005, 08:16 PM

I plugged in my Sony DVD burner and now have the option for DVD in export. Thanks for the lead. :up:

NIIDeep
03-18-2005, 02:37 AM

Check the option: "Enable all supported recorder formats for the Image Recorder"

YOU ROCK!! Thanks for the tip. :up: I can now use my laptop!!! :p

NIIDeep
03-18-2005, 02:38 AM
I plugged in my Sony DVD burner and now have the option for DVD in export. Thanks for the lead. :up:

You're welcome! But apparently there's a way to enable it without the burner plugged in. Read Jem's post.

But it's good to know that Nero s/w is "smart". :D

YankeeRudi
03-18-2005, 10:25 AM

I just bought an ADS Tech video capturing devise (USB type), but my NVE2 did not recognize it. When I selected the Capture Video menu, it came back with a message that it does not find a capture devise. The software that came with the ADS Tech did recognize the device.

Has anyone used the ADS Tech DVD Xpress with NVE2? I have to check tonight when I get back home to see if the "Enable all supported recorder formats for the Image Recorder" is checked.

Rudi

netposer
03-18-2005, 10:29 AM
I just bought an ADS Tech video capturing devise (USB type), but my NVE2 did not recognize it. When I selected the Capture Video menu, it came back with a message that it does not find a capture devise. The software that came with the ADS Tech did recognize the device.

Has anyone used the ADS Tech DVD Xpress with NVE2? I have to check tonight when I get back home to see if the "Enable all supported recorder formats for the Image Recorder" is checked.

Rudi

I don't think you can use the ADS devices like that. I have 2 of them and they don't emulate a video device like a USB cam or a firewire dv cam.

The ADS devices are just hardware mpeg encoders that use USB to transfer the converted mpeg to your pc.

YankeeRudi
03-18-2005, 10:52 AM
I don't think you can use the ADS devices like that. I have 2 of them and they don't emulate a video device like a USB cam or a firewire dv cam.

The ADS devices are just hardware mpeg encoders that use USB to transfer the converted mpeg to your pc.

I was able to capture video from my Sony 8mm camcorder using the ADS Tech device but only with the software that came with the device.

Rudi

netposer
03-18-2005, 11:28 AM
I was able to capture video from my Sony 8mm camcorder using the ADS Tech device but only with the software that came with the device.

Rudi

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. You can do that but the ADS device won't look to windows as an external video/audio source.

The nice thing about using the ADS device with my TiVo is the ability to only 'grab' what I need and not the entire program ala TTG.

Maybe in the future TTG will allow you to only transfer what you want. For example: from 00:00:00 to 15:00:00

RonnieT24
03-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Man have I been asleep at the wheel. This TivoToGo sounds like the shizzy!!!! I have long been looking for a method of just copying the raw files from the TiVo to my computer without tying up the TV.. My wife hollers at me every time I try to save something via the capture device. I guess I need to take the time to read up on everyone's experiences using this feature. Now some of the .tivo stuff makes sense. But if it's going to take 2 minutes of transcoding for every minute of footage it may not be worth it. Does anyone else have better numbers than that?

Ronnie T.

djliquidice
03-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Man have I been asleep at the wheel. This TivoToGo sounds like the shizzy!!!! I have long been looking for a method of just copying the raw files from the TiVo to my computer without tying up the TV.. My wife hollers at me every time I try to save something via the capture device. I guess I need to take the time to read up on everyone's experiences using this feature. Now some of the .tivo stuff makes sense. But if it's going to take 2 minutes of transcoding for every minute of footage it may not be worth it. Does anyone else have better numbers than that?

Ronnie T.

trust me. if it takes my 2.4Ghz machine 7hrs to transcode 1hr of video then it's NOT worth it. i'm sick of Tivo 2go.

toots
03-19-2005, 12:57 PM
That does seem a bit long. It takes my 1.8GHz machine about 2 hours to transcode 1 hour of video.

tfratzke
03-19-2005, 04:42 PM
trust me. if it takes my 2.4Ghz machine 7hrs to transcode 1hr of video then it's NOT worth it. i'm sick of Tivo 2go.

Then stop transcoding. Use WinAVI or DVD-Lab.

RonnieT24
03-19-2005, 07:53 PM
After a bit of homework I find that since I have a Samsung DVR from DirecTV I aint gonna get the TivoToGo upgrade anyway so it's amoot point for me. Though that's not going to stop me from trying to get the OS on the box to recognize my USB drive via the USB ports. Damnit it's got two of 'em.. THey must be there for something..

RonnieT24
03-19-2005, 11:44 PM
It saddens me to report that whatever mojo I had working which had previously allowed me to export and burn in abbreviated times has been lost. I have spent most of today trying to burn ONE fuggin disc and alas I have hadc my system crash in the middle of burning one and my second attempt took more than 3 hours before erroring out with what appears to be timeout messages. I have changed nothing... but clearly something I did has offended the burn gods. Fortunately I have no more hair.. or I'd be pulling it out. I may try a re-install of Nero. Perhaps the damn software's gotten corrupted.. (BIG) sigh!

NIIDeep
03-20-2005, 12:35 AM
Then stop transcoding. Use WinAVI or DVD-Lab.

Can you elaborate by what you mean when you say DVD-Lab? AFAIK, DVD-Lab works on MPEG2 files. Are you saying that DVD-LAB can directly work on .tivo files? I have this s/w although I'm still new at using it. I'd be very interested if this is what you mean.

Thanks.

Garmy
03-20-2005, 09:40 AM
OK, I am about to give up! I purchased Nero Ultra and d/l the updates then transfered files over to pc. Now my real headaches start. When I open NEV 3 and select make movie and then add file I am able to start it in the edit screen but I only have audio no video at all, just a blank screen. NEV3 always locks up at this point. I am able to load and view the file fine in TTG. Everytime I tried to export the file, it would lock up at 9 min 14 sec. I purchased and installed Indel Codec package. This time the export completed. I exited NEV3 and then went back in but it still locked up. and I still had only audio. I located the exported file and double clicked on it and it opened with Nero Showtime but both the audio and vid were garbled.

Help! I am totally lost at this point.

Cinepak Codec by Radius : 1.10.0.11
Intel 4|2|0 Video V2.50 : 5.1.2600.2180
Ligos Indeo® Video 3.2 : 3.24.15.04
Ligos Indeo® Video 3.2 : 3.24.15.04
Ligos Indeo® Video 4.5 : 4.51.16.03
Intel IYUV codec : 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Microsoft RLE : 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Microsoft Video 1 : 5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148)
Microsoft YUV : 5.3.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Ligos Indeo® Video Raw R1.2
Microsoft H.263 Video Codec : 5.1.2600.2180
Microsoft H.261 Video Codec : 5.1.2600.2180
Ligos Indeo® XP Video 5.2 : 5.2.15.58

Audio Codecs
------------
Microsoft IMA ADPCM CODEC : 4.00.0.0
Microsoft ADPCM CODEC : 4.00.0.0
Microsoft CCITT G.711 A-Law and u-Law CODEC : 4.00.0.0
Microsoft GSM 6.10 Audio CODEC : 4.00.0.0
DSP Group TrueSpeech(TM) Software CODEC : 1.00.0.0
Microsoft G.723.1 CODEC : 1.02.0.1
Windows Media Audio : 4.02.0.0
Sipro Lab Telecom ACELP.net audio codec : 3.02.0.0
Indeo® Audio Software : 2.05.0.54
Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (decode only) : 1.09.1.145
Microsoft PCM Converter : 5.00.0.0

richjh
03-20-2005, 05:13 PM
Did you ever resolve your Nero display problem? I am having the same problem.
Rich

Phil Level
03-21-2005, 08:58 PM
My apologies if this is off topic. Anyone else finding that Nero burned DVDs play better in "low end" DVD players?

My DVDs play fine in a 5 year old Pioneer unit, and a Toshiba SD-3960 (SRP $70), but the "high end" Toshiba SD-5970 (SRP $180) fails to load the same DVD.

The 3960 has a DOM sticker of Feb 2004, while the 5970 sticker shows Aug 2004.

Using Memorex DVD+R media burned in an Aopen writer.

RonnieT24
03-22-2005, 03:01 AM
I think I may have found my problem.. well at least one of them. Since my other desktop suffered a motherboard meltdown I recently moved the DVD recorder from that system over to my main desktop. It's a TEAC DV-W512G. Well as it turns out there is something up with that burner and Windows XP.. at least it doesn't like being on the same bus as another burner.. or anything else for that matter. I have disabled it in my HW profile and am now getting at least through the burn process without my damn system crashing anymore. Just for grins I am now trying out PowerDVD which clearly is lacking in its user interface. EVen if successful this will by one and only burn using that tool. It is light years behind the others in terms of EOU. I also dusted off Ulead DVD Movie Factory only to find that my Nero exported files featured AC-3 Dolby Digital audio WHICH Ulead DOES NOT SUPPORT!! You gotta be kidding me! So I would have to re-export these puppies using the other audio setting just to use Ulead.. Fat chance o that.

At any rate for anyone interested PowerDVD 1.0 seems to at least work for DVD burning.. albeit with a clumsy UI and apparently no ability to recode the file, though you CAN save the DVD file system output to disk.. but what good is that if you want to be able to create different formats from the same source data? Or am I getting ahead of myself?

kaisermj
03-22-2005, 06:09 AM
I tried several times but was never able to get Nero to work properly. Sometimes audio and video was scrambled, even within the same session. Closing the project and clearing the cache worked about half the time. Once I got all the files to even play properly I was never able to actually burn a DVD. From the log it appeared that Nero failed at the menu creation stage. MyDVD worked fine from the get-go but their editing features need some work. It's beyond me why there isn't a decent timeline to work from.

Mike

pilgrimspro
03-22-2005, 07:51 AM
I have been successful getting Nero VE to burn the dvd's but the sound is slighty off. It is not garbled or anything, it just basicall is a split second slower than the video. Is there any remedy for this or should I just break down and buy MyDVD?

RonnieT24
03-22-2005, 03:59 PM
I have been successful getting Nero VE to burn the dvd's but the sound is slighty off. It is not garbled or anything, it just basicall is a split second slower than the video. Is there any remedy for this or should I just break down and buy MyDVD?

I switched from MyDVD to Nero for almost exactly the same problem. In retrospect I have surmised that clearly the problem was no more with MyDVD than your problem is with Nero. My Nero burns have audio and video in perfect sync. You may want to check your settings. I used "automatic" for everything except occasionally when I know I really want something to be of the highest quality I may up the video setting to "high." Chances are if the sound is slightly behind I'd guess you've got a horsepower problem. Unfortunately it could be anywhere from the speed of the disk from which you are reading to memory to the audio encoder on your system. I did notice on several occasions there would be a process on my system called "mixer.exe" that would get spawned sometimes. I never traced its origins but there were times when it would start leaking memory and when it did I found my audio was screwed up. When I killed it, audio would return to normal... You may want to post the settings you use so the guys on here who have gotten good at NVE can compare them to what w

Fear not, almost anything done in Windows is destined to be a pain in the ass. I am convinced that Microsoft plans it that way but I can't figure out why. I got so mad at it over the weekend when my system kept crashing that I booted over to Fedora and went in search of a DVD burner program for Linux.. no NOT the one Nero wants to trick you into paying $60 for. So far there still isn't one that does all the stuff you want to do on the Windows side.. In particular, K3b will only copy the raw files to DVD.. It does so flawlessly, but you have to create the DVD file system directory structure for it.. which means using Windows.. One more wasted weekend of lockups, crashes and coaster burns and I just might go to that method.. Use the Windows platform to create the DVD file system then boot to Linusx and use K3b to burn.. Surely some clever chap is working on a legitimate DVD editing program for Linux.. If things keep up the way they are going.. I might have to bite te bullet and buy the Nero Version..

Das Achteck
03-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Can you elaborate by what you mean when you say DVD-Lab? AFAIK, DVD-Lab works on MPEG2 files. Are you saying that DVD-LAB can directly work on .tivo files? I have this s/w although I'm still new at using it. I'd be very interested if this is what you mean.

Thanks.

DVD-lab won't load a .tivo file, but it will load and compile a 480x480 .mpg file (that is what Best and High are) without insisting on encoding it to DVD specs. If your DVD player can handle that (check at videohelp), you can save a lot of time and suffer no quality loss.

toots
03-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Which, translated, means if you can find some way of converting your .tivo file to a .mpg, you can pretty much write a dvd in about DVD-Burn-Time+10 minutes.

I've heard tell that some ways of converting a .tivo to mpeg take about 5-10 minutes.

RonnieT24
03-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Which, translated, means if you can find some way of converting your .tivo file to a .mpg, you can pretty much write a dvd in about DVD-Burn-Time+10 minutes.

I've heard tell that some ways of converting a .tivo to mpeg take about 5-10 minutes.

I hadn't really thought about it that way but I guess in essence that's what the capture device is doing for me. I suppose if I were to merely burn the raw, unedited TV show as captured direct to DVD it wouldn't take me long at all. The work comes in when I edit out the commercials. If I don't export my changes into a separate file then the software has to render the scene transitions etc on the fly at the time of the burn. I can't imagine that gets done quickly. What puzzles me about Nero is that it spends several minutes "analyzing media" when I re-import back the Nero exported .mpg file. This makes no sense to me whatsoever. Though I guess the possibility exists that the export failed silently so it has to verify even its own creation before wasting a precious DVD on a bad burn. But there must be some way for the export to report success or failure back to the parent without having to be re-inspected again.

toots
03-22-2005, 09:40 PM
VideoReDo is quite snappy when it comes to editing commercials out of an mpeg. Just takes a few minutes.

NIIDeep
03-23-2005, 08:14 AM
DVD-lab won't load a .tivo file, but it will load and compile a 480x480 .mpg file (that is what Best and High are) without insisting on encoding it to DVD specs. If your DVD player can handle that (check at videohelp), you can save a lot of time and suffer no quality loss.

Ahh.. I see. Thanks.

ghiaman
03-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Ahh.. I see. Thanks.

FYI. I found that DVD-Lab (both basic and Pro) want to demux the mpeg to seperate the audio and video streams and in many cases create a sync problem when muxing them back together. From prowling various forums, I found that this is a know issue and there did not seem to be any working solutions. You do have the option of telling it to not demux, but then the audio can drop out.

I tried for about a week to get it to work, but ended up just going back to Nero.

Take a look:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=258813

I really like DVD-Lab, just could never get past the audio sync problem.

toots
03-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Good to know.

I was about to give them money.

NIIDeep
03-23-2005, 03:29 PM
FYI. I found that DVD-Lab (both basic and Pro) want to demux the mpeg to seperate the audio and video streams and in many cases create a sync problem when muxing them back together. From prowling various forums, I found that this is a know issue and there did not seem to be any working solutions. You do have the option of telling it to not demux, but then the audio can drop out.

I tried for about a week to get it to work, but ended up just going back to Nero.

Take a look:

hmm.. well I don't seem to have experienced any problems yet with DVD-Lab pro. The demuxing is the recommended way since people like to do "other" things to the audio and video to enhance them. In any case, I haven't seen any issues. I recall that people did mention that edited MPEGs (i.e. removing commericials) caused some audio/video sync issues. However, if you use the appropriate editors you can avoid this. Recommended are MPEG-VCR and VideoReDo.

And even with Nero people have been reporting audio/video sync issues.
here (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=231094&highlight=nero)

I've only been using DVD-Lab Pro for a few months and so far I've not seen any issues. It's a cheaper alternative to some of the more expensive s/w. But I'm sure it is not without it's own issues. For me though, audio/video sync issues are not a problem.

I was hoping to find a way to cut down the amount of time from .tivo to authored DVD. As it is, it's pretty time consuming.

Jammus
03-23-2005, 05:28 PM
Nice! Glad it worked for you!

Ok...I'm reading this thread like its a freaking bestseller and I'm at post 168. I have to say I'm truly amazed at what has transpired here and the combined ingenuity that has been shown.

I plan on reading the rest of this just for fun, but if someone could email me the final answer I'd really appreciate it.

If its Tfratzke's steps, then tell me. If its an even better one ...help me out.

Or point me to the key post.

Das Achteck
03-23-2005, 06:17 PM

Take a look:

Good grief. This guy runs the mpg through VirtualDub, DVD2AVI, AVISynth, TMPGEnc and GoldWave and wonders why DVD-lab produces out of sync audio? Just load the original mpg in DVD-lab and compile it to DVD. If you want to edit first, use mpeg-vcr which is frame accurate and fast. It will also resample 44.1k audio to 48k without you having to demux. You can also tell DVD-lab to ignore a block, but that wastes space on the DVD. It will resample the audio but the mpg files under discussion here are already 48k.

DVD-lab Pro does not want to demux. If you want to, you have to tell it to. It is true that the standard version had mux issues, but I am not aware of any in the Pro version. I have put many 480x480 video, 48k audio files on DVD without ANY issues, but then I do not demux or transcode audio with DVD-lab.

DZRhino
03-24-2005, 01:05 PM
Dear valued customer,

thank you for your email and your interest in our software.
1.)There are drivers left on your system from another burning software.
Please use the driver clean tool in order to disable these drivers.
Download cleanpack.zip from ftp://ftp9.nero.com/attach/cleanpack.zip
Extract the zipped files onto your hard disk using WinZip or WinRar.
You should now have two files: Driver-CleanTool.exe and RegistryChecker.exe.
First, run Driver-CleanTool.exe by double-clicking it.
Driver-CleanTool will deactivate drivers that caused problems in Nero in the past.
Confirm the deactivation of the drivers displayed in order to prevent known driver conflicts from reoccurring in the future.
These drivers also exist, with values, in the registry in Windows NT, 2000 and XP.
In order to ensure that these are also deactivated you will need to run the RegistryChecker file.

The Registry Checker will run very quickly. It is likely that you won't see any action after double clicking the file.
Note: Running the Registry Checker is not necessary for Windows ME, 98SE, 98 or 95.
2.)The NVE problem is a known problem. Please be patient until we will solve the problem with the next Update.

toots
03-24-2005, 01:08 PM
Does that mean they might fix it?

Still having 100% success with the "add to NVE as soon as TiVo Desktop starts downloading, exit, then restart after the download's complete" method.

And still happy with NVE's results otherwise.

RonnieT24
03-24-2005, 02:51 PM
Sounds like they are fairly committed to fixing it. Not surprising.. nobody (except Microsoft) likes to acknowledge that there are bugs in their software that they're just going to force users to "live with." Still the concept of a damn software package that insists on removing the components of other packages that do the same thing offends me greatly. Why the hell can't I run more than one vendor's version of a tool?

smithrl
03-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Ok...I'm reading this thread like its a freaking bestseller and I'm at post 168. I have to say I'm truly amazed at what has transpired here and the combined ingenuity that has been shown.

I plan on reading the rest of this just for fun, but if someone could email me the final answer I'd really appreciate it.

If its Tfratzke's steps, then tell me. If its an even better one ...help me out.

Or point me to the key post.

gosh, I don't want to ruin the plot, but you can try this:

SPOILERS AHEAD :)

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=2649219&&#post2649219

DPF
03-24-2005, 03:44 PM
DZRhino,

What were the problems you inquired about? Just to be clear.

-DPF

RonnieT24
03-24-2005, 06:21 PM
DZRhino,

What were the problems you inquired about? Just to be clear.

-DPF

Even though I don't have TivoToGo I read the post about the problems and how to work around them anyway.. figuring that I will get it someday.. Anyway it struck me that dude was working with VCDs.. and in my (admittedly limited) experience the quality loss on VCDs was unacceptable. I only burned two before I quit and in both cases I had to sacrifice too much video quality to fit just a one hour show on a VCD. I was curious as to the experiences of others.. Anybody else able to get high quality stuff on VCD? The ones I burned were right at the outset of my video burning journey so maybe knowing what I know now I could do better.. but since I get just wonderful resolution on DVD and I can fit two shows on each one AND the fact that they are down to less than 50 cents each even for name brand DVDs ( I just bought 50 Memorex 8x DVD+Rs for 17.99) .. I wonder if it's even worth it.

simmike
03-24-2005, 11:19 PM
With DVD burners and media so cheap, there is really zero point to VCD, or even SVCD. Granted VCD is smaller than DVD video, but isn't DIVX even smaller and better quality? The whole reason for VCD was before DVD burners were introduced.

oaninc
03-25-2005, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=DZRhino]I kept having problems getting out to a DVD format with NeroVision Express 3. It would blow up sometimes during transcode.

1) Go to NVE3
2) Select 'Make Movie'
10) Burn and enjoy!!!

I really appreciate all the help and advice in this thread since I want to burn DVDs from TivoTogo and MyDVD is a nightmare. So I tried your advice, and I updated my Nero. But when I open Nero Vision Express 3 SE, I don't get a choice of "Make Movie." The closest I get is "Make CD: Other Video Format" which tells me I need to buy an additional plugin. Do you have any advice?

RonnieT24
03-27-2005, 01:28 AM
[QUOTE=DZRhino]I kept having problems getting out to a DVD format with NeroVision Express 3. It would blow up sometimes during transcode.

1) Go to NVE3
2) Select 'Make Movie'
10) Burn and enjoy!!!

I really appreciate all the help and advice in this thread since I want to burn DVDs from TivoTogo and MyDVD is a nightmare. So I tried your advice, and I updated my Nero. But when I open Nero Vision Express 3 SE, I don't get a choice of "Make Movie." The closest I get is "Make CD: Other Video Format" which tells me I need to buy an additional plugin. Do you have any advice?

The first thing I would do is make sure you have the full Nero Ultra update. The only reason these menu options might be missing from your install is if your install did not complete successfully or you didn't download the whole thing. There are 6 separate packages to the Nero Ultra update.. I don't think you can get everything to work if you just take bits and pieces, though by rights you probably SHOULD..

On my NVE3 screen I have the following options:

Make DVD >
Make CD >
Record Directory to VR
Make Movie
Make Slide Show... >
Capture Viedo to Hard Drive
Open Saved Project or Disc Image

If you don't have these I have to suspect a bad install. Also I believe you can accomplish the same thing using Make DVD because from there you can import and then convert the .tivo (or whatever format) files.

Hope this helps..

Ronnie T.

greg_burns
03-27-2005, 10:23 AM
If you don't have these I have to suspect a bad install.

Or he has Nero Vision Express 3 SE. ;)

Matunuck
03-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Just to add a little more info for those with the OEM version of NVE (ie. NeroVision Express SE) the DVD-Video plug you need to be able to burn .tivo files is available at Nero's site (http://ww2.nero.com/us/DVD_Video_Plug_In.html). It is $24.95 and that gets you a working serial number to open the plug-in.

I went that root and was burning a disc within minutes...worked great. Better than spending $50 for Sonic.

RonnieT24
03-27-2005, 04:54 PM
What's Nero Vision Express SE? I don't even see that as an option on the Nero website. Is that one of the ones that comes with a burner? I mean I have four versions of Nero, all of which came with burners I've bought over the years. I got Nero 6 with my last burner and used that to get the free upgrade to 6.6 Ultra. Everything seems to work like a charm after that. I'm even back down to around 20-25 minutes for my burn process, including the transcoding step. I have learned that it's NOT necessary to export the changes as I had previously thought. Nero seems to fly right through transcoding my 90 minutes of video in about 15-18 minutes and the burn itself takes 5-7.

I have also learned another speed tip in my latest travels. Those of you who like creating chapters in your video so you can leap around in the video will also like this. NVE saves your clip points where you've clipped commericial and if you click on "create chapters" it will take you to the chapter edit page. Once there, you can click on the next to last icon, which is 'add c hapter for each video' NVE will insert a chapter mark at each transition point, thus creating an easy means of leaping to different segments of the video. That way when you go away and do something else and have to remove your DVD you don't have to start watching again from the beginning if that is not what you desire. Nor do you have to fast forward. You can just hit 'next' and bounce to the segment you left off at.

davezatz
03-27-2005, 08:34 PM
What's Nero Vision Express SE? I don't even see that as an option on the Nero website. Is that one of the ones that comes with a burner? The SE version that does not burn DVD's is usually OEM software with CDRW or CDRW/DVD drives. The version bundled with DVD burners, generally burns DVDs. :D

YankeeRudi
03-28-2005, 08:26 AM
I have learned that it's NOT necessary to export the changes as I had previously thought. Nero seems to fly right through transcoding my 90 minutes of video in about 15-18 minutes and the burn itself takes 5-7.

The way I am getting my shows from Tivo to a DVD is the way that DZRhino originally described it. It has worked well for me (except for the occasional editing freeze from Nero). It does take a total of about 7 hours to burn 2 one hour shows onto DVD (with maybe a total of 15 minutes interaction):
- 2 Hours each to transfer from Tivo to PC (wireless)
- 2 to 3 Minutes each to cut out commercials
- 1 Hour each to export to mpg
- 20 to 25 minutes to burn the DVD (4x disks)

Can you explain what you mean about the "Not necessary to export"?
Are you saying that I could skip the export to mpg?
How does Nero transcode your video 90 minute video in 15-18 minutes?
Were these Tivo files that you burned to DVD?

Rudi

RonnieT24
03-28-2005, 02:02 PM
The way I am getting my shows from Tivo to a DVD is the way that DZRhino originally described it. It has worked well for me (except for the occasional editing freeze from Nero). It does take a total of about 7 hours to burn 2 one hour shows onto DVD (with maybe a total of 15 minutes interaction):
- 2 Hours each to transfer from Tivo to PC (wireless)
- 2 to 3 Minutes each to cut out commercials
- 1 Hour each to export to mpg
- 20 to 25 minutes to burn the DVD (4x disks)

Can you explain what you mean about the "Not necessary to export"?
Are you saying that I could skip the export to mpg?
How does Nero transcode your video 90 minute video in 15-18 minutes?
Were these Tivo files that you burned to DVD?

Rudi

Okay I see several flaws in this method.

1) Why 2 hours to transfer from TiVo to PC? Why use wireless?

Can you not hardware that sucker? Won't that drastically improve your transfer times? If the answer is no then I would seriously consider investing $100 in a separate USB capture device that will at worst record 1 hour of video in 1 hour. 1/2X transfer rate is way unacceptable IMHO. Does the TivoToGo support Gbit Ethernet? If so that's really the way to go. I used to move these 3Gb files between my destops in a couple of minutes .. before I fried the motherboard on my 2nd desktop.. more on that later.

2) I don't know if Nero ca transcode .tivo files on the fly (during the burn process ) but it has no trouble transcoding my mpeg2 files that I capture from the USB device realtime. As I said it takes about 15-18 minutes to do my 90 minutes of video. I understand that this may not be an apples to apples comparison since I don't do the .tivo thing but if Nero knows how to transcode them at all then exporting them should not be necessary. I have no explanation for it at present but I found that the export process didn't seem to help my burn step go any faster. In fact exporting took pretty much the same amount of time as my normal transcode process during burn and then I had to re-import the changes, and watch Nero STILL 15-20 minutes (sometimes more) transcoding my exported result.

At any rate my experience is not based on the .tivo method, and unless someone reports some serious advancements in the speed at which that happens, it never will be. I am perfectly content to either capture the video to my USB drive via my capture device or fire off a capture job when I go to bed or leave for work. The only drawback to this approach is that it completely sequential and interactive. I can't copy multiple shows in one session. But here is what I do:

1) Watch/capture show on USB drive attached to my laptop. The capture device reads from the S-Video out of the Tivo box. I use piggyback cables to route the audio to the capture device as well.

2) Move the USB drive up to my desktop and do my editing.

3) Burn the shows onto DVD. I currently use 8X media. I originally bought some cheapo no-name brand (9.99 for 50) but am seeing about a 20% burn failure rate on those so I won't be buying any more of those when they're gone.

When I'm done now the only reason to export is to save the disk space as the exported files will take up roughly 1.4 Gb less space than the originals depending which quality setting you choose. It bears stating that when you select "high" quality the saved export will use almost exactly the same amount of space as the orginal even after clipping commercials. Yet another quirk I can't yet explain.

7 hours to burn one friggin hour onto DVD simply is unbearable to me. If I count the original capture, which I could ignore technically since that's also when I watch the show, I take one hour to capture it. About 10-15 minutes to edit it the way I want and 10 burn it. Since I typically work with two episodes at a time I can double the times and come up with 2 hours to capture, 30 minutes to edit and 20 minutes to burn working out to roughly 3 hours to record 2 one hour shows. And I'm looking ways to shorten even that. One shortcut I sometimes take is I fastforward through the commercials as I watch it but sometimes that actually ADDS time to the clipping process because it's trickier to locate the commerical breaks when they're only 10 seconds long. So there's a tradeoff there. What I've taken to doing now is watching the show in its entirety, bouncing through the commercials, then kicking off the actual capture overnight when I go to bed. As soon as I get enough shows saved to warrant taking the USB drive upstairs I go into edit mode. It's 200Gb beast so I got lazy and am now more than 30 episodes behind in my editing. Losing my other desktop really slowed me down and it's taken me two weeks to finally win a bid on a new motherboard on Ebay.. hopefully I will get my other desktop back in working order and be able to work two projects simultaneously and really economize my time.

hth9
03-28-2005, 02:41 PM
I've burned several .tivo recordings to DVD using NVE 2. As others have reported with NVE 2, I haven't had any problems with the process. However, I've compared the DVDs to the original TiVo recordings and notice that the tint in all of them is significantly shifted towards the red. It's especially noticeable with skin tones. Anybody have any idea why this would be happening? I've used TiVo best quality recordings and 704x480 resolution on the DVD. Usually standard D1 bit rate, but sometimes cut back to fit the recording onto a single DVD. Same result in both cases.

rog
03-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Why 2 hours to transfer from TiVo to PC? Why use wireless?

Can you not hardware that sucker? Won't that drastically improve your transfer times? If the answer is no then I would seriously consider investing $100 in a separate USB capture device that will at worst record 1 hour of video in 1 hour. 1/2X transfer rate is way unacceptable IMHO. Does the TiVoToGo support Gbit Ethernet? If so that's really the way to go.

I just wanted to clear up the networking aspects of TiVoToGo here.

Hard-wiring will speeds things up a bit, but the transfers won't even come close to the theoretical 100Mb/s transfer speeds of a full duplex 100Mb connection. Gigabit networking is not supported at all, no. The TiVo needs a USB network adapter. There is a very small list of supported adapters (wired and wireless).

The problem is that there is a serious bottleneck at the TiVo (outside of the networking components) when it is preparing the .TiVo files for transfer. This is why 802.11g transfers are not much better than 802.11b transfers. And why wired transfers aren't too much better either.

Multi-room Viewing (MRV) seems to fare better - it doesn't share this bottleneck apparently.

So, yes, all your other comments are kind of an "apples and oranges" type of thing. For those of us without hacked TiVo's, we're stuck with these slow TiVoToGo transfers.

RonnieT24
03-28-2005, 04:07 PM
I just wanted to clear up the networking aspects of TiVoToGo here.

Hard-wiring will speeds things up a bit, but the transfers won't even come close to the theoretical 100Mb/s transfer speeds of a full duplex 100Mb connection. Gigabit networking is not supported at all, no. The TiVo needs a USB network adapter. There is a very small list of supported adapters (wired and wireless).

The problem is that there is a serious bottleneck at the TiVo (outside of the networking components) when it is preparing the .TiVo files for transfer. This is why 802.11g transfers are not much better than 802.11b transfers. And why wired transfers aren't too much better either.

Multi-room Viewing (MRV) seems to fare better - it doesn't share this bottleneck apparently.

So, yes, all your other comments are kind of an "apples and oranges" type of thing. For those of us without hacked TiVo's, we're stuck with these slow TiVoToGo transfers.

Thanks for clearing that up.. Seems to me like TivoToGo is a literally and figuratively a waste of time. Hopefully the Tivo engineers are working on some way to improve the outbound performance. If they can't do that then there is certainly no point in going that route. My capture device can't speed things up at all but he sure as hell doesn't slow it down on me either. Likewise I've noted ZERO degradation in video quality between my DVDs and the TiVo itself. In fact if you let Nero recode to progressive scan or interlace depending on the type of player you have you can actually see better video quality off the DVD versus the TiVo. In my case, because my player does component video (RGB) output which produces a VERY high quality picture. This enables me to see better video on my player than I get from the TiVo. At least it looks that way to me. I thought it was just me until my son walked in while I was screening one of my burns and noticed the same thing.. So I have at least one other party who agrees that my burns look better than what we see on the TiVo.

I guess TivoToGo seemed like a great idea at the outset but it certainly it appears that the implementation leaves much to be desire. Perhaps the next release will address some of these issues. Otherwise my interest in it will remain nil.

rog
03-28-2005, 04:32 PM
For what it's worth, I don't find the TiVoToGo experience to be all that bad.

I just transfer any programs I want to burn (or view on my PC) overnight. I select them before going to bed, hit transfer, and then... whala... in the morning they are ready to go. Not that big of a deal once you get used to it.

For me, there is a lot of value in TiVoToGo. I will admit I have a setup that is ideal for it, however. I have a S-Video output on my PC which goes to a TV in my bedroom. So I can transfer recorded shows from the TiVo in the den, then watch them on the TV in the bedroom (through the PC) later.

And if I want to burn a DVD to show a program to a friend, or for archiving, I can do that too.

Having said that, I too hope that they are working on improving transfer speed. It would be nice.

reghir
03-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Update for Windows XP (KB886716)
When you try to convert your video production in Adobe Premiere Pro to an MPEG-2 (Moving Pictures Experts Group 2) format, the .mp2 file is not converted, and either Adobe Premiere Pro or your Microsoft Windows XP-based computer may stop responding.
Released 3/25/05

jgcraig
03-29-2005, 05:18 PM
tfratzke - shoot me and put me out of my misery... or send me a pm. I have no hair left!!

darnell32
03-29-2005, 07:26 PM
would anybody know why I dont have volume anymore after I transfer shows to my pc?

jrath
03-29-2005, 10:42 PM
tfratzke -- I would also be interested in the info you've been distributing. Please PM?

Thanks!

jpn2579
03-30-2005, 12:07 PM
WinAVI solved the confusion problems for me, it appears.

Transfer the recording off the TiVo to your PC.
(Backup the file if you can allocate the huge amount of space a dupe will occupy for this process, as the transfer time is still pretty slow, even though I'm using a hard-wired ethernet connection. An hour-long recording takes 40 minutes or so to send to the PC.)

Also, I use an external, high-speed hard disk for storage of the backup, and process the file on another high-speed drive internally, make sure LOTS of free space on this drive.

WinAVI can AND will read the .tivo files.
It will ask for your Media code password,
and then you will have the option of converting the file to a number of formats,
including MPEG, AVI, Real Player format, and (drumroll please), VOB files for DVD burning!

In other words, the multi-step process is gone, and Sonic isn't used.
It's just transfer, convert & burn with the program of your choice.

I found WinAVI with google, and there is a free trial on their site. Nag text is present until you register, but then it has worked well enough for me so far.

It's not tremendously speedy, but at least its a process that is an all-in-one file conversion.

I like programs that can handle all the naughty, nasty details for me. I appreciate all the suggestions from various people, but having to run three (or more) different programs, some of which you have to pay for, total price more than WinAVI, was not appealing.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Jason

RonnieT24
03-30-2005, 07:33 PM
At the risk of offending the burn gods I have actually gotten to the point where I can now reliably create DVDs from my TiVo recordings via my capture device. In the past 5 days I've burned about 10 discs and only had one failure, which was the result of a system crash that turned out to be because my sound card was not properly seated and was crashing my system sometimes when it tried to play sounds. Since I fixed that I have burned 7 or 8 discs in a row with no problems. I now feel like I have a good system working and should be able to finish off my TV show project here within a couple of weeks and then I can move on to my personal videos which will probably be trickier because there's probably less regularity to what I'll want to clip in or out. But that's a discussion for another board. I do hereby wholeheartedly endorse Nero as the tool of choice. Having tried all the others and had miserable results I can now say that Nero is the most comprehensive, most reliable and most flexible of all the tools I've come across, though I have not tried WinAVI as cited above. Unless someone can assert that it will give me orders of magnitude better speed and/or video quality, I probably never will.

Oh and another user tip I just discovered. On the Nero "menu creation" screen there is a selection labeled "background clip." If you select that one, you can have a small video clip playing in the background as your menus are being presented. I clipped out the opening credits of my show and now have those playing in the background, complete with theme music, as soon as I insert my DVD. Gives it a much more professional look and feel. You can select how long you want the loop to be as well. I didn't see any limit to it. The opening credits of my show takes about an even minute so that's what I went with. Once I'm satisfied that that works reliably I will probably just stop saving that portion of the show on my burns, since I normally fast-forward through it anyway..

Ronnie T.

tfratzke
03-30-2005, 08:47 PM
tfratzke - shoot me and put me out of my misery... or send me a pm. I have no hair left!!

Done. Good Luck! :)

smithrl
03-31-2005, 12:58 PM

The suspense is killing me. Did you shoot him or send him a PM ? :)

ekriega
04-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Tony,

Can you send me (PM) your latest info for speeding up the TiVo to DVD process?

Thanks.

kronemerk
04-20-2005, 02:33 PM
A PM to help spped the process would be appreciated as well

Thanks

Keith

gsking1
04-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Have you noticed if it has anything to do with the file size or movie length? So far I've only tried 2 tivo files. The first one was 1.3 GB (30 minutes) and I had no trouble with it at all. The second one was 5.0GB (2 hours), and nothing I could do could get it into NVE without the video ending up horribly corrupted. I tried clearing the cache and other tricks...none of it worked. I didn't feel like spending 3 hours downloading the movie from TiVo again, so I was thinking about your post. I figured maybe that when loading it into NVE while it is still download, the reason it works might be because the file is small when you import it initially. On import, NVE definitely treats long video differently. My 30 minute video got imported as 1 segment, but my 2 hour video got split into 5 segments.

Anyway, so here is what I did. File A.tivo is my 5GB file, and B.tivo is my 1.3 GB file. 1) started a project in NVE
2) imported B.tivo.
3) save the project and closed NVE
4) renamed B.tivo to C.tivo
5) renamed A.tivo to B.tivo
6) opened the saved project in NVE

Now, NVE knew that the project included the B.tivo file, and when it opened it, it analyzed the file once again, but this time it kept it in one piece instead of 5 segments. The video now works perfectly.

Next thing I'm going to try is just getting a small 10 second recording off of my TiVo. This will be a really small clip that I can just keep on my hard drive (only take up a MB or so of space). My prediction is that I will be able to import this file into NVE and then use the rename trick above to get any video to load. Not sure when I'll get around to trying this out, but I'll keep my fingers crossed when I do.

Thanks for your help. This seems to have worked.

fbara
04-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Tony,

Can you please PM me with the info? Thanks! :up:

-------------------
Frank

PrestoChango
04-29-2005, 12:00 AM
I would greatly appreciate a PM to simplify the process.

I have killed days on this already.

Thank you

Chad

srcohen
05-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Kudos to jpn2579. WinAVI solved all my problems. I think TTG is fantastic.

I can now copy shows from my TIVO to my computer; convert to DVD player format (using WINAVI and my MAK); edit out commercials and burn to a DVD (using NeroVison Express 2) that plays in my regular DVD player with no hiccups or issues.

Transfer and burning times are as reported elsewhere in these threads.

And, as far as I know, I am not violating my TIVO agreement.

Again, kudos to jpn2579 and to everyone who has researched this issue.

ksatterwhite
05-01-2005, 12:08 PM
I am having trouble with the Tivo files. I am using a full verion of NVE 3. I click on Make Movie. Then select a file from My Tivo Recordings. When I add to project all I get is the audio track, not the video. I thought maybe it just was showing on my PC. But, I burned a test DVD. No video. Only audio. Anyone else have this problem?

Kracko
05-01-2005, 12:33 PM
I am having trouble with the Tivo files. I am using a full verion of NVE 3. I click on Make Movie. Then select a file from My Tivo Recordings. When I add to project all I get is the audio track, not the video. I thought maybe it just was showing on my PC. But, I burned a test DVD. No video. Only audio. Anyone else have this problem?

I was having this problem and none of the suggestions on this forum fixed the problem for me. I finally contacted Nero support and they helped me fix it. Here is their reply which helped. I dowloaded ftp://ftp9.nero.com/attach/cleanpack.zip and ran both programs in the zip file. For me it was the registry program that fixed my problem.

==========================================
Dear valued customer,

thank you for your email and your interest in our software.

1. There are drivers left on your system from another burning software.
Please use the driver clean tool in order to disable these drivers.
Download cleanpack.zip from ftp://ftp9.nero.com/attach/cleanpack.zip
Extract the zipped files onto your hard disk using WinZip or WinRar.
You should now have two files: Driver-CleanTool.exe and RegistryChecker.exe.
First, run Driver-CleanTool.exe by double-clicking it.
Driver-CleanTool will deactivate drivers that caused problems in Nero in the past.
Confirm the deactivation of the drivers displayed in order to prevent known driver conflicts from reoccurring in the future.
These drivers also exist, with values, in the registry in Windows NT, 2000 and XP.
In order to ensure that these are also deactivated you will need to run the RegistryChecker file.

The Registry Checker will run very quickly. It is likely that you won't see any action after double clicking the file.
Note: Running the Registry Checker is not necessary for Windows ME, 98SE, 98 or 95.

2. NeroVision Express does not support all capture cards at the moment.
Unfortunately the support for capture cards cannot be implemented automatically, because every capture-card has it's own interface.
As result we have to test and implement each capture card separately. This procedure is very time consuming.

Please visit our website where you can find a list of tested and supported capture cards.
http://www.nero.com/us/capture_devices.php
As we are still testing capture cards we will update the list regularly, so your card will be added in future updates.

Should you have any other request, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards

Dan Liedtke
Nero Technical Support

Nero AG
Im Stoeckmaedle 18
76307 Karlsbad
Germany
Fax : ++49 (0)7248 928 499
http://www.nero.com

StuartLarkin
05-01-2005, 12:51 PM

Did you recently update NERO? This is one of 2 symptoms I had recently that this patch fixes-

http://ww2.nero.com/enu/Patch_for_NVE3.html

EDIT: I see that doing the clean fixed your problem - for me, running the quick patch did....

ksatterwhite
05-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have tried both. Nothing has worked. There weren't any other drivers detected. The registry checker indicated that it fixed some problems. But, still nothing.

I'm also having trouble burning to DVD-R's. I have an external MadDog (USB). No problem with DVD+R's. I have now found numerous threads all over the net on this problem. But, that's a whole other problem in itself.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm willing to try anything at this point. I don't want to use Sonic.

Thanks,

Keith

dthrock
05-02-2005, 04:50 PM

I could us a PM with this info. I havent suffered the agony yet and dont want to :_) Ill start with the easy fast method first.

D

ksatterwhite
05-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Does anyone else still have problems burning .tivo files w/ Nero? I have upgraded to the full version of Nero and d/l all the upgrades. I can add .tivo files to my project, but there is not a video track...just audio. I can't figure out how to make it work. I refuse to use Sonic. I prefer Nero.

Please let me know...

Thanks,

Keith

greg_burns
05-04-2005, 05:51 PM
I have upgraded to the full version of Nero and d/l all the upgrades. I can add .tivo files to my project, but there is not a video track...just audio. I can't figure out how to make it work.

Take a look at this thread thread (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=236446).

Downloading the patch will fix the audio only issue. Getting everything else to work right is buried in this thread. :)

Good luck!

drdigital1
05-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Downloaded "WinAVI Video Converter". Selected Menu-->format convert-->any to DVD/vcd/... Selected .tivo file for conversion. Prompted and entered playback password. Getting error message: "Floating point division by zero". Result: no conversion.
Any ideas?

ocntscha
05-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Downloaded "WinAVI Video Converter". Selected Menu-->format convert-->any to DVD/vcd/... Selected .tivo file for conversion. Prompted and entered playback password. Getting error message: "Floating point division by zero". Result: no conversion.
Any ideas?

Computers don't let you divide by zero. I always hated that. You could try dividing by something real close to zero like .1.

drdigital1
05-08-2005, 10:12 PM
ocntscha, you write "You could try dividing by something real close to zero like .1."
I am not dividing anything. I just selected a couple of .tivo files and ran the conversion program. Program failed everytime and gave the error message mentioned. It converts fine non .tivo files. There must be a bug on how it handles this file type. Any ideas anyone? Just don't tell me to stop dividing by zero :)

billmannor
05-08-2005, 10:40 PM
ocntscha, you write "You could try dividing by something real close to zero like .1."
I am not dividing anything. I just selected a couple of .tivo files and ran the conversion program. Program failed everytime and gave the error message mentioned. It converts fine non .tivo files. There must be a bug on how it handles this file type. Any ideas anyone? Just don't tell me to stop dividing by zero :)

It's your codecs. I get weird messages with Winavi all the time, changing codecs around seems to fix it but of course breaks 12 other programs.

satmaster
05-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Is anyone else having this problem. I downloaded 'Nero-6.6.0.12.exe' upgrade.
If I try to import video into the make DVD module nero will look at the video and come up with a error box with a hex dump with a option to email the error box.

The email never gets sent to nero because they are trying to access a SMTP server which is not allowed by all big US ISP's.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled erased the cache over and over to finaly find that it only does this if I try to load a file that is in the Tivo Video directory. If I move the file to My Videos it loads just like before.

Is nero' s solution to not being able to load .tivo files right just to ban the directory?

greg_burns
05-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Is anyone else having this problem. I downloaded 'Nero-6.6.0.12.exe' upgrade.
If I try to import video into the make DVD module nero will look at the video and come up with a error box with a hex dump with a option to email the error box.

Take a look at this thread.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=236446

wvumountie
05-10-2005, 05:53 PM
I have NVE3 and have followed the step by step instructions to create a movie. I have installed the smcpatch, with no luck. When I import the .tivo all that comes along is the audio files, with a black screen. My .tivo plays fine in my Windows Media Player 10 both audio and Video are just fine. Any Ideas?

RonnieT24
05-13-2005, 12:48 PM
I have NVE3 and have followed the step by step instructions to create a movie. I have installed the smcpatch, with no luck. When I import the .tivo all that comes along is the audio files, with a black screen. My .tivo plays fine in my Windows Media Player 10 both audio and Video are just fine. Any Ideas?

When things don't work.. and everything appears to be in order, the only way to get to the bottom of it is to strip the process down to each component. You need to go back to the beginning of your process and find out what components are involved. Try importing something other than the .tivo files. See if you can write those out. If that works then try to isolate the part that operates on the .tivo files. I don't have Tivo2go so I have no idea what that might be.. but one thing you might do is save and read the burn log when you burn. There are typically all manner of clues as to what might be going wrong there. You can burn to an image file or a folder so you don't have to waste discs..

suggest THIS
05-14-2005, 06:12 PM
I have a favor to ask on anyone who received from tfratzke a pm detailing his method of burning .tivo files to DVD without transcoding: would you pm a copy to me?

Thanks in advance.

colwildcat
05-21-2005, 12:35 PM
I finally got fed up with trying to get Nero to work. Tried everything on this forum, and more, and still only 1 out of every 4 would work, and nothing over 30 minutes long would work. Spent the 49.99 on the Sonic program because I was just sick of dealing with it.

Works great, no issues.

MalachiConstant
05-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Would someone please PM the 'tfratzke method' to me? Thank you.

Javalsu
05-29-2005, 12:52 AM
I've got Nero Vision 3 SE and I don't have a make movie option, I also can't export. Does anyone know how to trim and edit with SE other than that it works fine.

RonnieT24
05-29-2005, 03:34 AM
I've got Nero Vision 3 SE and I don't have a make movie option, I also can't export. Does anyone know how to trim and edit with SE other than that it works fine.

If "Make Movie" is not available on the main screen go into "Make DVD" and look for "edit movie" from there. That should get you top the same screen as "make movie."

1stu1
05-29-2005, 12:56 PM
i have a series 2 tivo, tivotogo 7.1b and nero 6. i've transferred about 30 half hour tv episodes from the tivo to my desktop. suddenly, after the upgrade to 7.1b i think, the audio on many of the episodes has "disappeared". i've tried re-transferring and it still doesn't work.

any suggestions?

help!