I received my Roamio on Friday (9/30). I also have a Premiere, TiVo HD, & Original Series 3 all used for OTA only, on the same TV, & fed from the same 4 way splitter.
OTA Reception Observations: As a point of reference I have intermittent multi path issues and my Series 3 units handle my issues better than my Premiere. Based on the last 3 days the Roamio is better at OTA reception than all my other units. In use the Roamio appeared to be about the same as my Series 3 units (they all were receiving the same channels, as normal the Premiere was missing one of them), however using the signal strength meter on all my units and stepping through each channel (including the ones I don't get) the Roamio was able to lock on several channels that the Series 3 units (and Premiere) could not lock on at all, however the signals were still too weak to produce a watchable picture.General Observations:
- I setup my Roamio without buying service and was surprised to find the only think that worked was the tuner - it would not record or provide access to any apps without service
- Upon ordering Lifetime service it only took secs for the box to be activated. In less than 1 hour I was able to transfer files from my other DVRs and computer. I was also able to transfer seasons passes on line and setup podcast downloads.
- Boot time is about 3.5 minutes.
- I could not change the Roamio's remote address with the Roamio's remote. Of course my other TiVos did not respond to the Roamio's remote however the Roamio did respond to all my other TiVo's remotes.
- The coax cable end and area around the tuner connection is worm to hot and much wormer than any of my other TiVos.
- Streaming a show from my Premiere actually provides a superior experience as compared to using the Premiere directly. Accessing the Premiere from the Roamio is like accessing a menu option on the Roamio itself - fast.
File Transfer Rates (MRV), all values are rounded to a whole number:
- Roamio to Computer = 93 Mb/s (using free TiVo desktop)
- Computer to Roamio = 93 Mb/s (file was uploaded to computer from Premiere using TiVo Desktop).
- Premiere to Roamio = 80 Mb/s
- TiVo HD to Roamio = 30 Mb/s
- Original Series 3 to Roamio = 30 Mb/s
- Series 2 to Roamio = 3 Mb/s (yes that is correct).
Conclusion: The Roamio appears to be an excellent OTA DVR. It is fast and a joy to use.