Your #1 dedicated resource center to buy, discuss, and chat on the use of TiVo powered products and services such as Series 1, Series 2, and Series 3.
Updated: 31 min 9 sec ago
I have learned some things from replacing my old Comcast set-top box and Series2 TiVo with a new TiVoPremierXL4 and Comcast-provided CableCard, and thought I'd share them.
The TiVo+Cablecard installation was relatively easy, tedious, and ultimately disappointing. I'm a tech professional, so take "easy" with a grain of salt.
Here's what went wrong:
1) Triple-play/Digital Premium Comcast subscribers may lose the "Digital Basic" channels (in Santa Cruz, CA, those between 34 and 65), including AMC, FX, USA, Comedy Central, A&E, CNN and other favorites. "Sons Of Anarchy" and "Daily Show" fans, take note!!!
The knowledgable Comcast tech who just left confirmed the TiVo tech support conclusion that our "Digital Basic" channels are actually broadcast as analog signals. The TiVo/Cablecard cannot receive analog, period. No matter what the nice ladies in the Philippines tell you, the local cable plant may be hybrid.
Assuming that's not a deal-breaker for you, or that you live someplace that all your "digital" channels are, in fact, digital... :)
2) The Comcast "self-activation" website took 3 days to detect my new TiVo/CableCard setup, so don't bother.
3) Do NOT call the number shown on the setup menu on the cable-card menu, or on the printed receipt for the cable-card; they're clueless. Call the 877-405-2298 hotline instead, and talk to the nice ladies in the Philippines call center.
4) Yes, you do need to cycle thru the "Test Channels" screens, pausing a few seconds on each, to figure out what actually got activated. A lost msg to the cable-card can cause some of your services to go missing.
As others have said elsewhere, the incidence of missed enablement signals seems pretty high, and if your box isn't authorized by the head-end, you do not see the channels, period. If they tell you to wait an hour, you're hosed. Pull out your cable-card, power-cycle the TiVo, reinsert the cable-card, and go thru the whole Guided Setup + call Comcast for activation again. In my case, I think I needed to do it 3 times to get past all my issues other than the one involving analog "digital" channels.
5) As hokey as it seems, the THX training clip shipped on the TiVo HDD was really useful in getting a great picture from our Toshiba LED display. Yes, you need to wear the funky glasses; just make sure your kids aren't in the room with their iPhones and posting pictures of you on FaceBook. :eek:
So, before buying a new TiVo Premium XL4 for use in Santa Cruz County, CA, make sure you're in a service area where these channels are broadcast as digital and not analog.
Only you can decide if simultaneous record is more valuable to you than the missing "Digital Basic" channels. For us, it's not; I'm off to the local service center to swap my 4-channel cable-card for a stand-alone HD cable box.
I am looking for the full video specs for a Galaxy S3. Screen size, FPS, etc. I want to setup a profile to convert videos using Handbrake.
Newegg has a 48 hour deal on the WD20EARX for $89 with promo code EMCJNHG26 with free shipping.
AmusingVideos.net is a place where we gather the funniest, amazing and amusing videos, movies and video clips from YouTube.com. Each user can add their own movies and comment on others' movies so get your account right now. Best of YouTube is waiting for you.
Hi, I just upgraded from my beloved Tivo HD to a new Tivo Premiere XL4. So far I really like all of the new features and options. I especially like the 4 tuners and huge amount of space. I love the new HD interface for the most part. It definitely could be faster and more fluid --- hopefully they'll keep improving it.
Here are a few issues or bugs I've found and I'm wondering if there are any ways to fix:
1) The Discovery Bar has options for selecting what content you want. When I first got my XL4, I unselected all of these options and the discovery bar went away completely (which I liked having the option of having it or not). Now, even if I UNSELECT every option it is still there. I think being able to disable this will help speed up the HD interface. Any help?
2) Blue circles next to MANY shows. For some reason I have solid blue circles next to movies and shows I selected to record. It was my understanding that the blue circle simply means it was TRANSFERRED from another Tivo. I did transfer a few shows but for some reason even shows I selected and recorded on the XL4 have a blue circle next to it. In the SD menus they don't have ANY circle next to them. Once I select "Keep until I delete" then the circles goto Green. Am I mis-understanding what the blue circles mean?
3) Tivo "sounds": I've grown to love the Tivo FF and 30 second skip sounds. I've changed the volume to low and they seem to only work when nothing else is playing. I use a surround sound reciever and I'm thinking that when Tivo has a surround sound program it omits these sounds. When I DON'T use surround sound I can hear my beloved noises again. I think my Tivo HD did this at times* but for the most part I remember mostly always hearing these noises when fast forwarding or skipping ahead.
Any help with any of these issues or bugs would be appreciated!
I subscribe to East and West coast network channels on DISH and use my DRT800 to record. Tonight my tivo messaged that it has deleted those channels. They are still there on dish but tivo wont tune to it since it says they dont exist. How do I get Tivo to replace them?
Short story: time warner will start charging $4 monthly for cable modem use, so I started looking for an alternative modem (to purchase) and found this Cisco modem that has it all...
So before I buy one, has anyone heard of, seen or used this?
Cisco Model DPC3827 8x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Residential Gateway with MoCA
Cisco - 4039760 - Dpc3827 Gw D3.0 8x4 Moca
Here's the user guide
I've been battling this problem for years with both my Tivo and now Windows Media Center. It seems Comcast is getting worse, not better. This must be a "secret" effort for them to continue their monopoly and control the TV recording market as well.
As of late, just about every channel and any show I try to record outside of broadcast local television is blocked by CCI flag. This occurs with analog cable and with the digital box. I recently raised a tech support issue with Comcast, but I don't think that will go anywhere. Also, when and if Comcast "fixes" this, it appears they are fixing only for people that spend lots of time to complain?
Definitely not fair, and how it is within Comcast's legal right to block all these channels from being recorded?
Just got Tivo Premier this week after cutting Directv and going with an indoor HD antenna. With limited channel selection, I have to rely on the web for some live programs. For example, MNF on ESPN. I can find some live streams of ESPN on the web and watch on my computer. However, is the a way to push these web streams to my Tivo for live viewing. I've seen threads mention pytivo and stream baby. Is that what those programs are for? At first glance, it seems these are pretty technical to install. Any recommendations?
I have a HD TiVo and it acts extremely strange for one Channel - CBS. I was sent a second TiVo to replace the first but the same effect happened. When trying to use the single speed Fast forward it does not work. This is seen easily with a football game, the game proceeds at the real time rate for a certain time then all of a sudden for about 1 second it speeds up then goes right back to real time speed. In effect all that happens by hitting single speed FF while watching CBS is the sound goes away.
This problem is seen on many TiVo's and with the two I had it did this regardless of using a cable provider or the over the air tuner. Do I have to hack the unit to figure out why this does this?
I'm going nuts trying to figure out the 30-minute cache on my HD.
Let's say I've paused the Tivo and after a while it's unpaused and I'm at the beginning of the 30 minute buffer. Let's also say it's 11:20 so I'm now watching the live stream from 10:50, and a new show started at 11:00.
I want the last 10 minutes of Show A, so I press record. However, I lose those 10 minutes and it starts at the beginning of Show B.
Other times I get the end of Show A and the whole 20 minutes of Show B.
And sometimes, I get much more than 30 minutes. Today, it was 11:40, so I was 40 minutes into an hour-long program and hit Record, figuring I'd miss the first 10 minutes. But BAM, I got not only the entire show, but the hour long show before it!
In summary: Sometimes I get less than a half hour, sometimes 30 minutes, and other times (rarely) up to an hour twenty! Is there any predictability and control to this? Suppose I always want the entire 30 minute buffer: is there a way to do that?
Have the new THR22 Tivo HD DVR. New problem just appeared today.
If I pause live TV, I can't get out of pause. I have to change channels to go back to live TV.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
I am in need of an image for a tivo Premier Model TCD746320.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Anybody catch the season premiere last week? We just caught up with it last night and I was totally cracking up. Very good episode, comparable to anything they did last year.
'My brood has poo'd.'
Dalia's discussion of what a nanny does for you was fantastic. 'If you're walking on the beach and there is only one set of footprints, it's because your nanny is carrying you...'
And some may think that the Shays are a bit extreme, but the scene with Ryan acting like a cat and Fred trying to spray him with the water bottle was killer.
I found a series 2 Tivo in a parking lot the other day. I don't have high hopes for it being any good but you never know. What is the easiest and quickest way to find out if it is in working condition and what it's status is. I am on Verizon Fios. I haven't messed with any Tivo's for a few years and I can't remember what all is involved with hook up. Thanks for any help,
Wow! I totally didn't expect them to pull Brody in so quick. That was awesome. And his old military friends trying to piece things together (incorrectly) could add another interesting element.
Yesterday my THR-22 refused to record the final game of the WNBA playoffs. This was broadcast on channel 209 (ESPN2HD) at 5PM Pacific. The "Recording History" says that "This program was not recorded because its channel was removed from your channel listing."
Which is NOT TRUE. The ESPN2HD channel has been working for months, and it is still present in the listing, and is still showing HD programming which is listed under channel 209 on the grid listing.:mad:
Also, DirecTV has been re-writing the Favorites list again. ONE MORE TIME: Stay Out of my Channel Listing! No matter how many times you list a PPV channel, I will NEVER spend money on it. I have both NetFlix and Amazon Prime and BOTH are superior to your lame offerings.
the old people sex made me cringe..that woman with 2 guys...she must have had a blast saying that..unless it's true
the cell phone bit was over the top but i guess in tune with what the show is..i cant believe he let him borrow his car knowing there was best buy within 100 miles :)
Hi all. Does anyone have DirecTv's customer retention number? I'm tired of the game they are playing with Time Warner over the new Laker channel. If DTV cannot provide the programming I want. I'm leaving. Been a DTV customer for 14 years. Too bad it came to this.