Your #1 dedicated resource center to buy, discuss, and chat on the use of TiVo powered products and services such as Series 1, Series 2, and Series 3.
Updated: 2 hours 10 min ago
No new thread yet? So is interest lagging for BBT??
I don't know what it is this season, but the last two episodes I've found my self wandering off while trying to watch. I usually end up working on the computer while I listen to the show in the background.
I'm tired of Howard in space and this episode reinforced that thought.
I really did enjoy the show up until this season, and I don't know why it's losing me now. Hopefully they pick up the pace and I can get back on track..as in back to enjoying/watching the show.
I just knew as soon as she started in on the fantasies that someone was going to end up seeing her vinegar strokes.
I thought it was a good season opener. They really went all out on the guest stars this time.
Poor Chalupa Batman MacArthur.
Not a bad start to the season. Notes.
- I hate Klaus with a fiery passion, but at least they've removed the Hybrid creation option. Neutering him a bit.
- Hope they stick with Rebecca being separated from Klaus. I'd like to see her soften a bit and join the gang.
- Damon and Elena. Ugh.
- Great line by Tyler/Klaus about 'right time, wrong equipment' or something like that.
- Good job Bonnie. You killed Grams a second time!
The biggest problem I have with the show right now is the love triangle. They are clearly going for 'Elena loves Stefan but has Passion (capital P) with Damon'. So we'll get a full season where Elena probably waffles for a bit some more, then goes with Damon. But the endgame will always be Stefan (soulmates and all that jazz), so essentially they are just yanking our chains.
I'm still enjoying the show and also am enjoying that we keep getting tossed small pieces that are obviously parts of the conspiracy. Good to see that the stealth device isn't a totally reliable "God mode".
The fight between Chaplin's crew and the Island Thug should get interesting as well. On his schedule. :D
As a TiVo novice, I hope to get some insight here from people who use both Usenet and cable, or who have crossed over to one side or another.
I ditched cable about 3 years ago in favor of Usenet, due to its low cost and high availability. Side note: I wish the movie/tv industry would get onboard with the Spotify model. Its so much easier to search for $10/month than download and organize music illegally.
My only experience with TiVo has been the built in fork that Comcast implemented. While it was half-assed, it was still better than their built in DVR option. I'm very happy with my $10 usenet setup with CouchPotato Server and Sickbeard but I still do miss cable. Renting a slingbox for a month made me realize this. Main things I miss are,
1) Channel surfing - Catch a random show, or some white noise vs what's on your set 'download' list or collection
2) Commercials - Double edged sword, but I have to search movie trailers, new TV show pilots, new products, etc. Sometimes feel out of the loop.
3) Flexibility/Stability - No need to plan ahead for a certain big game or show vs streaming or DLing a movie/tv show ahead of time
I've been toying with the idea of getting a tuner card for my HTPC or buying a TiVo Premier 4 but Comcast's ~$80-90 plus TiVo service cost is making me wonder if its worth it.
Have a new Tivo XL4 and have noticed a problem sometimes when deleting Tivo suggestions while they are recording.
The problem I see is when there are multiple Tivo suggestions being recorded.
In the Tivo Suggestions, I hit the clear button to delete the active recording, the menu with the 3 options comes up [Stop Recording, Stop Recording and Delete and Cancel].
A few times when I do this, the delete menu is on top, but the focus is still on the list of suggestions. If you try to use the (left) back arrow to dismiss the screen or hit the clear button again, it blanks out the entire screen (just black). There are no menus and no UI showing.
Sometimes you can hit the TIVO button to restart to the main, but a couple of times it either didn't work or the it was a blank screen with the live preview window showing. At this point the only way out was to unplug it and let it reboot.
It seems like a bug in the UI that can't figure out where to go. BTW, using the HD menus
The software is up to date. Anyone have any ideas?
Since during any one day, TIVO seems to like to suggest up to 30-40 programs, I try to keep the list of suggestions manageable and occasionally deleted them manually. And yes, I have gone through and thumbs down process on countless programs.
I have two Series4 dual-tuner Premiere units - I'll call them A and B. Each has a digital cable card and they are both wired into my home network. A has a MyBook DVR Expander attached.
When I start to transfer a recording from B to A, within two or three minutes A will hang.
I've only tried to transfer HD recordings, and I've only tried from B to A, not the other direction. A hangs whether I'm transferring the recording for later viewing, or watching it while it transfers. I have to pull/reseat the plug to reboot it.
When it reboots, sometimes the video is choppy and the unit is dog-slow for a minute or two, then it reboots again on its own. This may happen one or two times until it boots up and works fine. I suspected the hard drive, so I booted it into diagnostic mode and ran SMART hard drive tests which took all night but passed with no errors. I have no problems if I don't try to transfer recordings, but I want to be able to!
What might be wrong?
Every Fall Amazon puts a number of series premiers up for free on Unbox, but each year it seems I have more and more trouble actually finding these shows. I just stumbled upon the fact that Nashville and Last Resort have the first episode free, but I was only able to tell this after going into the show description for each one. Is there a way to browse all new shows that have the first episode free?
I'm thinking seriously of upgrading to a Premiere soon and have two questions.
1. Does the Premiere support external enclosures, and if it does, does it have a drive size limit?
2. The 1TB drive I have in my series 2 is about half full. If I put this drive in an external and hooked it up to a Premiere, would I be able to watch the shows I've already recorded?
3. If the Premiere wouldn't immediately allow me to watch the shows, is there a hack I could apply to the kernel that would?
Many thanks! :)
I like to use the "Find TV Shows" feature of TiVo.com to schedule season pass recordings when I'm away from home. I have recently discovered that this doesn't seem to work with shows on FX (Sons of Anarchy, Totally Biased, American Horror Story...)
I submitted a support ticket with TiVo and their response was to use Yahoo or Zap2It instead.
If I'm actually in front of the TiVo I can find FX shows inside the TiVo UI; I just can't do it from the web site.
I recorded a YouTube video of me doing a successful search for an AMC show, followed by two failed FX searches, but TiVo tech support said they couldn't access any links outside TiVo.com. *sigh*
It's probably hard to read unless you view the HD version, but eh.
FX Networks issue tith TiVo.com
Anyone know how to tweak TiVo.com to search what's available on my cable system? I can't find any way to change the search preferences- if there are any.
Since Tuesday morning, my 3 Tivo units have not been able to link accounts with Amazon - for downloading instant video.
Amazon reps say this is a Tivo related issue and they (Amazon) can not help until Tivo fixes whatever went bad.
Anyone here have any suggestions or know what is going on?
Tivo chat support only states it is a known issue and there is no time frame for a fix.
No love for H50?
Anyway, I thought this was a really funny episode for the first half, when McGarrett and Danno's day of fishing just kept getting worse and worse. "H50" may be just another procedural police crime drama like most of the rest of CBS's lineup, but at least the characters show some degree of liveliness.
The highlight of the episode was when Kono totally kicked the boatjacker's ass on the stairwell. I liked how they kept the continuity, too, with a big black eye during the subsequent scenes.
The tension over who was killed in the house near the end rang false, as my wife asked me who I thought was dead, and I said, "the wife." Some shows are mean enough to kill people who don't deserve to die (and to let those who deserve to die, remain alive), but CBS doesn't really carry those shows.
This past weekend we lost the ability to view program information about a show. When selecting the show from the Now Playing List, it no longer displays information about the show, it returns to the NPL.
Likewise, attempting to browse show information in season passes or wish list results in an error 32 trying to display the program information.
I reenabled an old HDV2 that was in the closet and it didn't display this problem. However, after updating it's guide and recording a few shows it now exhibits the same problem as the original tivo.
I think Directv may have changed some aspect of the guide data that is corrupting this database on these old Tivos. This really makes these devices unusable.
Anyone seeing the same or have any advice?
I was excited about the TiVo stream product (actually i still am and forever hopeful that they will improve it) and couldn't wait to purchase it. I had to drive to two different best buys before finding it. After about three weeks of usage (very limited) here is why i decided to return it:
1. I was hoping i would be able to save the downloaded files and you do not have access to them. Perhaps they willl have some Tivo Desktop integration in the future to speed up the transcoding. I think it's great how fast it is but i really would have liked to save these to an external hardrive for loading later via itunes or whatever.
2. I really didn't like how the viewing liveTV option left the recorded show on my TiVo. If i was going to watch a particular show i probably wouldn't have minded it but sitting around trying to surf the live tv guide and having all these shows that i had to delete on my TiVo was a pain! Perhaps they will fix this with a newer release.
3. On my final day of usage where i was thinking about taking it back within the 30 day window i started to see an error message popup that said 4 streams were already being viewed (reached my maximum) and that i would have to stop one of them to view another one. The problem was is that i had just rebooted the device, watched only 1 show, and then tried starting a 2nd show. From my viewpoint i had a fresh box and had only attempted 2 streams. So why would i get this error. I did everything but reboot the box and couldn't get it to work. Then i decided boy is this really worth $130? Maybe they will have it fixed in a few weeks or perhaps not.
4. After reading tivocommunity and one of the threads about it being discounted in the future i thought to myself again .. boy at $130 this is a lot of money for something that isn't working flawlessly. So if i return it now, perhaps i could by it again in the future, assuming they make some of the above improvements, for $99 or so? Or perhaps not. Thought it was worth the gamble and unplugged it and took it back for a full refund.
Last night I got home and my THD had lost all it's channels. None were showing up at all. This THD does not have a cable card, tuning adapter, or any of those new-fangled Copy Protection wrappers cable companies like to unload on unsuspecting customers. Just a plain vanilla THD with no mods.
I restarted the box and the channels came back. In fact, I shorted the intro video by going to the TiVo menu and hit live TV. I saw a message for a moment or two that it was locating channels. Wouldn't the analog tuner have just shown them?
Ideas on what might have happened? Is my box dying?
Went to download a show to my iPad and it failed, did a test of the TiVo Stream, it started to install an upgrade. Great! But, what *IS* the upgrade, what version, whats new? Do we get release notes on these patches?
I get emails for subscribed threads. Most of them, in the body of the email, list the previous day's posts. Some however, have a link at the top of the email, goto newpost. I *think* the instant notifies have the newpost link, and the daily notifies don't. But I'm not sure of that.
IAC, I find newpost to be much more useful, as sometimes I visit a thread during the day,and when I want to visit the next day using the email, it requires me to scroll down until I actually find the newpost.
Is there any way to get a newpost link in the daily update notification? Does what I'm asking even make sense?
Does anyone have experience using TIVO Series 2 model Pioneer DVR-810-H-S with the new Belkin @ TV product or with Slingbox Solo? My home network where the Tivo & Belkin (or Slingbox) will be located has internet upload speeds of about 1.5 to 5 Mbps while the remote location has download speeds of only 1.0 to 1.5 Mbps. Will these speeds be fast enough to get a satisfactory picture? I'm leaning toward the Belkin @ TV but would appreciate any advice. Thanks