What is going on with the Tivo Connect process? I have been using Tivo for over 10 years now. I have a Sony Tivo 1, a Tivo 2, a Toshiba Humax Tivo 2 with DVR and 500 gb HDD and 2 Tivo Premier HDs with 1TB HDD. Only the Toshiba and the 2 Premiers are in use right now. I will refer to the two Premier units as Unit A and Unit B.
The process of Connecting was always the same until I got the 2 Premiers. It would take 10 or 15 minutes for each unit to go through the processes of Preparing, Connecting, Getting info, Disconnecting and Loading. It would then take one to three hours for all the program listings to be updated.
Once I got the Premier units, that all changed. They would sit on Preparing for about an hour before beginning the process and then another long wait sitting on Preparing to load
before the actual Loading began. Another difference was that once the Loading was complete I believe the program listings were all already in place so it was six of one and a half dozen of the other.
On July 1st, that changed on both units and it reverted to the old way
which I prefer. Going from Preparing
to Done took about 10 minutes and then it took a while for the listings to get in place. When that happened, I checked my software version which on 2/2/10 was 11.0d
-01-2-652. On 7/1/12 it was 11.0k
-01-2-652. The only change being the d
to a k
which I emphasized.
At 5:10PM today I started a manual Connect on both units. Unit A went through the quicker process and now, 1 hour and 18 minutes later I see no new program listings in place yet. Unit B has reverted to the slower process and 1 hour and 18 minutes later it is just sitting on Preparing to load
Oh, I forgot to mention that before 7/1, when either unit sat on Preparing to load
for as long a time as this, I would have to reboot the unit and it would then complete the Connecting processes without further problem. It has now been 1 hour and 23 minutes since the Connect began and I have just rebooted that unit.
As usual, after rebooting the Connect ran smoothly and after about ½ hour it has already Loaded 27% of the download.
In the meantime, I was diverted briefly because of this:
I just saw a news story on Special Report on Fox News Channel. They warned that many people may have problems with their computers starting on Monday from something that was planted on their computers as long as a year ago. It is a DNS converter and they advised all to go here to detect and fix the problem: http://www.dcwg.org/detect/
It is a site put in place by the FBI.
I tried just now but could not connect but remember a few million people all just got this warning at the same time. I will try again later.
I also checked it on Snopes and it was listed there as TRUE. The listing was added today: http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/dnschanger.asp