I've been a TiVo user for a long time and really love it, but I'm afraid I've put off upgrading for about as long as I'm going to be able to.
Currently I have:
- Three Series 2 TiVos (2 DT, 1 ST)
- Time Warner Cable (analog only on 2 TiVos, digital cable box on 1 TiVo)
- Three old school box televisions (no flat screen, no HD)
Time Warner is slowly but surely moving more of our favorite channels to digital only, meaning we can only record them on the one TiVo that is hooked up to a digital cable box. The problem is that we have to use IR cables to change the channel on the box, which is hit and miss, and if it misses, we don't get to see whatever show we were trying to record.
Another complication is that within the next year, we will be moving from San Diego to Dallas. We're unsure what cable company we will end up with, and many of them only provide digital services anymore.
So, my questions:
1) If we buy a TiVo Premiere or Roamio, will we be able to use MRV between either of them and our existing Series 2 TiVos?
2) If we buy a TiVo Premiere or Roamio, will we also need to upgrade our television(s) from our old box sets to an HD flat screen? Or will they work with our existing televisions?
3) If we buy a TiVo Premiere or Roamio, will we be able to receive local broadcast stations / network affiliates through analog cable?
4) I'm behind the times on this issue since it hasn't affected us, but I have heard there are issues with Time Warner specifically and how the cable cards interact with TiVos. I guess that's not a question, just looking for advice.
I'm sorry to be such a newbie about this, but I'm thinking we are going to need to make whatever upgrades are necessary in the next couple of weeks, so if anyone can offer advice or even referrals of where to begin researching these issues, I'd really appreciate the help.