Your #1 dedicated resource center to buy, discuss, and chat on the use of TiVo powered products and services such as Series 1, Series 2, and Series 3.
Updated: 2 hours 3 min ago
I know better to pad my shows 90 minutes on Sunday CBS shows because of sports, which on 9-8 meant 53 minutes run over due to US Open. I never expected to get burnt on a Monday a week after Labor Day. I didn't realize the US Open was still going on. I turned the TV on what I thought was 20 minutes into Under the Dome, only to realize it had not even started. I put a 90 minute pad, went to bed and caught the show this morning, a 25 minute run over. If I didn't have a Tivo with padding, I would give up watching anything on CBS, as I refuse to watch TV live. Thank God I have a Roamio Pro. It's now getting to the point I have to look at what sporting event is playing on CBS and pad accordingly. I hate CBS.
This once very good, sometimes great, series continues to go out with a whimper. Of course I'll watch the last 2 to see how it ends but at this point I don't care all that much.
I am looking into getting the roamio, and I am also looking at getting an iphone. I was wondering if, first of all, do shows download easily to iphone to take on the go?
Second, since I don't have an iphone yet I am not sure how this might work, but, if I downloaded shows to my iphone, could I hook my iphone up to my macbook and play those shows on my macbook (so I could have a bigger screen while I am out of the house)?
I know tivo says you can transfer shows to your mac if you get roxio toast 11, but I have read a lot of negative reviews about that not working. Or if the software does work, then the cable company blocks most shows from being transferred, which I understand for premium channels for HBO and stuff, but it is worthless if I can only get the main broadcast channels like nbc (I have comcast btw, so I don't know if they are particularly bad about this or not). Anyway, so I am hesitant to spend the money on Roxio if it isn't going to actually transfer shows like promised.
I am (obviously) not super tech savvy, so any help with answering these questions would be appreciated!
Is there anyway to un delete tivo lineup change messages?
last night, keith olbermann dedicated the opening of his new espn2 show "olbermann" to the 2014 sochi olympic games, russian anti-gay laws, the comparisons to the 1936 olympics (hitler), the potential for a boycott, the ioc's hypocrisy, putin's hypocrisy, the sponsor's fears, and russia's ignorance:
Changing the settings on the Channel Banner to "Clear banner quickly" is still FAR too slow. 3 seconds is not fast enough - frankly, it gets rather frustrating. I went back to Standard and that was about 10 seconds. Both of these seem too long.
Why can't this be more accurately adjusted?
I'm having work done in my home, so I have to move around the Roamio and the Mini from room to room -- wherever they're not working.
So I can't set up a wired connection for the Roamio Plus.
When I set up a wireless connection, it seems to be fine. I can view Youtube videos, including HD ones, which play smoothly over the wireless connectin.
Then I try to create MOCA network and it says no Internet connection.
So I have to reconnect to my SSID and re-obtain a DHCP IP address.
If it's not supported to use a wireless connection, then it should say so, shouldn't it?
Or is MOCA only supported if the bridge is on ethernet connection?
I'm having a strange audio problem and I'm not sure if it's a tivo problem or a cable co problem.
The problem is I don't get any audio on one specific channel-- Disney HD. Disney SD and all of the other Disney SD and HD channels work.
When I first noticed the issue I tried a few things:
-- Primary TV through HDMI to my Yamaha AVR: no audio (w/ both DD and PCM).
-- Alternate TV through HDMI directly to the TV: no audio (w/ both DD and PCM)
My TiVo HDs connected to these two sets didn't have this problem. All other channels are working (so far).
I have a Roamio Pro - Xfinity on demand app is working just fine.
The Mini interface does not show the Xfinity app in the interface? Both devices have connected recently and are up to date.
My area (Philadelphia area) is listed as available for the Xfinity on demand on my tivos.
I am currently watching CBS. My tivo Roamio will not allow me to rewind. I've been watching it for 20 minutes and its as if I just changed the channel. Also, I can pause the program, but when I resume, it skips to the time in the program, and I miss the part I was paused through.
So in a nutshell...
Back in April, I contacted Comcast about 1/2 of my TiVo HD channels being pixelated.
A Comcast rep came out and verified it and said it was due to water damage. He said someone would be out a few days later to fix it. A rep came out 2 weeks later and said it was due to water damage. I thanked him for telling me something that I already knew.
Long story short, they gave me date after date on when they'd be here and fix it. After every date I contacted them to report they missed the appointment. This happened 6, yes 6 times since April.
5 months later, they finally got their crap together and fixed it. I then inquired about credits on what I've been paying for since then.
So much for their "customer happiness guarantee".
If it's 1 missed appointment, it's a $20 credit. If it's 6 missed appointments since April about the same issue, it's still only $20.
The kicker is that since then I've been paying them for channels I wasn't getting. Their only "offer" was to temporarily give me a few premium channels. If I wanted them I'd already be getting them.
I cannot stress enough how shady Comcast is. They get away with this crap when there's no local competition and they have a monopoly.
Google Fiber please get here soon.
this was another enjoyable ep, although short, and of course became really interesting right as it ended, tbc.
i can't imagine don libeling jerry during a reference check, he's too smart, even with unresolved anger over genoa. the set up by jerry that triggered the call was believable enough.
the party scene with charlie, reese and becca was my favorite, and when reese recalled his conversation with leona - too much!
the prediction room and botched on-air tour by elliot, a la cnn, was spot on, the only thing missing was anderson cooper. sorkin might have plagerized cnn's live election night coverage. :)
i can't believe next week is the end of the season, it went by quickly.
I went to watch a recording. When I hit play, the program was frozen, right at the start of the program. You could not forward. The program was still on TV and I could watch it live. I just couldn't record it.
I think I know the answer but thought I'd check....
I'm very excited to try the Roamio's 6 tuners out for the Fall TV premieres, so I chose a collection called "New Shows"...
Some of the shows included are starting to show up and a couple I've decided that I don't really care for... Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a way to cancel just those shows and retain the collection overall.
I have a feeling that I'm going to just have to deal with it until all the new shows start recording and I can set up individual season passes for the ones I want...
Am I on track or am I missing something?
I have been on comcast and have been using tivos with cablecards for around 7 years now and I have had all sorts of problems but eventually get them solved. Here are my thoughts.
1) cablecards are a nightmare. Before you install the Roamio, show up to a comcast service center and pickup like 3 of them. Yes 3 of them. Just return the other 2 you don't end up using later.
2) If using wired ethernet for the Roamio, DO NOT put in your wireless settings even to test. I had horrible issues when I added both wireless and ethernet settings where even when I wanted to use ethernet, and it showed connected as ethernet, it was still connecting to wireless and causing MRV and streaming issues.
3) Setup your tivo subscription for the Roamio before turning it on. I guess transferring a plan from another tivo can be a hassle so when possible, just create a new plan for the roamio and if it's replacing a box, just cancel that old box's plan after the new roamio is setup and going.
4) before installing cable cards, connect to internet and run guided setup and have the major update roll out. Tivos take a day or two to get fully 100% operational. When I mean 100% I am talking about every last feature. Annoying but you deal with it.
5) Call this number and pray you get a good tech - 1-877-405-2298. Don't ever send a tech to your house. Don't spend hours on the phone. A successful cablecard install takes 5 minutes tops. Try activating the first card and wait for them to send a signal. It should work pretty quickly even though they might tell you it takes 30 minutes. If it doesn't work, don't try and troubleshoot it but move on to the 2nd cablecard. And then the 3rd. If all 3 don't work then the easiest thing and what has worked for me is take a working cablecard from a tivo I am replacing and have them reactivate that card. If all 3 new cards won't activate and they can't re-activate a card from a working tivo, the tech you are working with is an idiot and you will just have to request a new tech.
6) if you get some channels but not all of them or no premium channels, the card needs to be re-activated or the tech did not pair it correctly. You can tell them to delete the card out of the system and re-add it as a new one.
7) for the first 48 hours don't freak out if your other tivos don't show up in the Now Playing list or if there are bugs. Force a bunch of service calls, reboot it a few times, make sure the updates are all rolled out and then after 48 hours call Tivo or check these forums if you are still having issues with anything.
I'm sure a lot of people will say these steps are overkill and they get their tivos up and going 100% in an hour or two, but they are not the norm. When I am realistic and plan for 48 hours of a setup and work in period then I usually end up really happy with my Tivo. I love college football and I had 6 HD games recording at once on Saturday while my wife was streaming to ipad. The Roamio is a great device once it is all finally setup.
My oldest S2 (form 2004 - TCD540040, upgraded with a 160GB HD) suddenly keeps rebooting on the Welcome Screen. I can't even get it into kickstart mode to run the kickstart diagnostics. I've read through all the forums (here and elsewhere) and most say it's either a bad HD or a bad power supply. Simple enough to replace either (with some $$), but here are the questions I have:
1. I removed the drive and ran a full diagnostic with SpinRite and the drive came up clean. No SMART problems, no sector errors, good control functions, nothing. So I don't think it's a bad drive.
2. Making the assumption that the drive itself is OK (see #1), could it be that it's just the TiVo image that's corrupted? If so, where can one get an image replacement for low/no $$? (nudge, nudge, wink wink :-)
3. If the unit is booting far enough to get to the Welcome screen, wouldn't that be a sign that the power supply is OK. Is there such a thing on TiVos as a partial PS failure, and would that cause the rebooting & no kickstart symptoms I am seeing?
The box is like a member of the family at this point so if I need to spend $ to get it fixed I want to make sure I am spending it on the right part. These forums have helped me a lot in the past so I'm hoping you nice folks can come through again.
Thanks in advance for any advice/assistance you can provide.
I just bought the Roamio last week. After going through the forums, I think I came to the conclusion that nobody has a fix for the Roamio not tuning correctly. Tivo will not take responsibility for it and the cable (mine is Time Warner, and they have no interest in helping) companies won't take responsibility for it. Am I correct? Is it worth waiting for a fix that might never come or should I just bite the bullet and get a TWC DVR?
I recently started noticing pixelation during live tv/recordings, a rewind does not show the pixelation, so I suspect my 2 month old wd20eurs av-gp drive is already dying. I booted into a kickstart 54 and everything passed the test but the off-line scan has been running for over 32hours, was estimated to finish at 675 minutes, now its at 1900 minutes! Sounds like the drive already has massive bad sectors? Anyone ever seen this drive take this long on the smart test off-line scan?
it's a bummer because i just replaced a bad wd20eurs 2 months ago with this brand new one. I also ran a wd extended test on the drive before putting into service and it passed.
guess its time to pull the drive again and try and get a backup of it.
Anyone else get this frequently? I have a strong wireless N network that the Roamio does a great job picking up at high strengths. All other tech picks up the wifi flawlessly as well, including a 360 in the same tv stand. However, for some reason Roamio gives me the C133 daily. All I need to do is the good old router unplug so it isn't a serious issue, but what is going on that causes this? Right before it happens all the search functions and whatnot will become extremely slow as well.
Does anyone know how I can contact them? I have been getting the runaround from tech support and I don't know who to talk to. I tried PM'ing Margaret, but I didn't hear back. Thanks.