Your #1 dedicated resource center to buy, discuss, and chat on the use of TiVo powered products and services such as Series 1, Series 2, and Series 3.
Updated: 19 min 37 sec ago
I currently use my PS3 as my primary streaming box (AppleTV for itunes stuff) and frankly it's a pretty amazing thing. A decade old yet state of the art streaming services, all the latest interfaces, fast. etc. Also a phenomenal and fast BR player.(If only it had a cc slot...)
That said, I wouldn't mind at all if I could migrate all my streaming into my soon to arrive Roamio Plus. Retire the PS3 to the kids for gaming, and swap to a simple BR player for discs alone.
So all that said, anyone with the technical insight into how easy it will be to port other apps (eg Vudu, Amazon Prime, etc) and what hurdles (eg TiVo approvals, etc) may exist in the process?
Asked another way...by say Christmas are we more likely than not to have a bunch of new/updated and robust apps? And yes I mean Christmas this year! :)
TiVo is obviously not too anxious to encourage existing TiVo owners to upgrade to a Roamio! I attempted to do so today, but they wont cancel my old service contract (goes to 2/2014) and start a new service contract on the Roamio. I either have to pay off the old service contract or pay the early termination fee. I dont need the extra DVR and I dont have a relative or friend who wants to take on the contractual obligation, even if I give them my Premier box. I believe this will result in a loss of revenue for TiVo in the long run as I suspect 6 months from now, they will reduce the price of the Roamio, or something better might come along from another company. Its my understanding that TiVo is already in some financial stress; they could help alleviate it by providing some financial encouragement to existing TiVo owners to upgrade without actually reducing the price of the new product. They may lose some owner loyalty to this practice!:(
I was posting in this
thread about my problems and they called me back saying that the TA's they have (don't have model atm as I'm at work) only support 2 streams (hardware/software limitation). And basically don't hold my breath on them upgrading the hardware anytime soon. So, that means it can only support two SDV channels at once (this would explain what I was mentioning in the threads above).
So, that leaves me with some *not great* choices. Try to buy my on TA that supports 6 streams and see if they will support it. Try disabling 4 of my tuners so my SDV channels will come in properly all the time. Wait for Brighthouse to upgrade their hardware and live with what I have atm.
THE WEATHER CHANNEL "99,926" 88
CNN / HLN "99,292" 87
FOOD NETWORK "99,283" 87
TBS NETWORK "99,231" 87
DISCOVERY CHANNEL "98,891" 87
NICK-AT-NITE "98,799" 87
NICKELODEON "98,799" 87
ADULT SWIM "98,671" 86
THE CARTOON NETWORK "98,671" 86
USA NETWORK "98,647" 86
CABLE NEWS NETWORK "98,496" 86
A&E NETWORK "98,302" 86
LIFETIME TELEVISION "98,251" 86
HOME AND GARDEN TV "98,229" 86
HISTORY "98,226" 86
DISNEY CHANNEL "98,142" 86
TURNER NETWORK TELEVISION "98,139" 86
HEADLINE NEWS "98,010" 86
TLC "97,842" 86
COMEDY CENTRAL "97,838" 86
ESPN "97,736" 86
ESPN2 "97,717" 86
AMC "97,699" 86
MTV: MUSIC TELEVISION "97,654" 86
SPIKE TV "97,639" 86
SYFY "97,447" 85
FOX NEWS CHANNEL "97,186" 85
FX "97,157" 85
VH1 "96,786" 85
E! ENTERTAINMENT TV "96,472" 84
ABC FAMILY "96,462" 84
TV LAND "96,282" 84
CNBC "96,242" 84
ANIMAL PLANET "96,223" 84
MSNBC "94,519" 83
TRAVEL CHANNEL "94,418" 83
BRAVO "94,129" 82
CMT "91,249" 80
TRU TV (formerly COURT TV) "91,197" 80
BLACK ENTERTAINMENT TV "91,159" 80
HALLMARK CHANNEL "85,897" 75
Fox Sports 1 (formerly Speed) "85,798" 75
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CHNL "84,446" 74
INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY (formerly DISCOVERY TIMES) "84,289" 74
LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK "83,933" 74
OPRAH WINFREY NETWORK (formerly Discovery Health) "83,261" 73
WE:WOMENS ENTERTAINMENT "83,151" 73
GOLF CHANNEL "82,089" 72
MTV2 "81,185" 71
DISNEY XD (formerly TOON DISNEY) "80,864" 71
BBC-AMERICA "80,066" 70
OXYGEN MEDIA "78,208" 68
NBC SPORTS NETWORK "77,746" 68
GSN "77,431" 68
TV GUIDE NETWORK "77,294" 68
SCIENCE (formerly SCIENCE CHANNEL) "76,804" 67
NICK JR (formerly NOGGIN) "76,389" 67
FOX BUSINESS NETWORK "75,501" 66
ESPNEWS "74,784" 65
THE INSPIRATIONAL NETWORK "74,631" 65
ESPNU "74,445" 65
WGN AMERICA (formerly Superstation WGN) "73,969" 65
STYLE "73,579" 64
TeenNick (formerly THE N) "73,443" 64
FUSE "73,008" 64
THE HUB (formerly DISCOVERY KIDS) "72,237" 63
NFL NETWORK "70,910" 62
MLB NETWORK "70,043" 61
INDEPENDENT FILM CHANNEL "69,517" 61
H2 (formerly HISTORY INTERNATIONAL) "68,489" 60
GALAVISION "68,167" 60
BIOGRAPHY CHANNEL "68,007" 60
NICKTOONS "67,950" 60
REELZCHANNEL "66,739" 58
SOAPNET "66,352" 58
GREAT AMERICAN COUNTRY "62,914" 55
MILITARY CHANNEL "62,255" 55
VH1 CLASSIC "61,717" 54
G4 "61,217" 54
DISNEY JUNIOR "61,005" 53
UP (Formerly GMC) "60,858" 53
COOKING CHANNEL (formerly FINE LIVING) "60,718" 53
NBA-TV "59,721" 52
DESTINATION AMERICA (formerly PLANET GREEN) "59,616" 52
DIY NETWORK "58,592" 51
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC WILD "57,833" 51
TV ONE "57,419" 50
SPROUT "55,218" 48
FOX SOCCER CHANNEL "52,982" 46
VELOCITY (Formerly HD THEATER) "52,271" 46
LOGO "52,204" 46
CENTRIC "51,953" 45
HALLMARK MOVIE CHANNEL "51,668" 45
FX MOVIE CHANNEL "49,799" 44
DISCOVERY FIT & HEALTH (formerly FIT TV) "48,852" 43
CURRENT TV "48,178" 42
OVATION NETWORK "43,412" 38
CHILLER "42,227" 37
ENCORE "41,696" 37
RFD-TV "40,699" 36
ENCORE PRIMARY "40,621" 36
MUN2 CABLE "39,888" 35
OUTDOOR CHANNEL "39,175" 34
Fox Sports 2 (formerly FUEL) "37,707" 33
TR3S "36,301" 32
CLOO (formerly SLEUTH) "33,640" 29
NUVO TV "32,735" 29
HBO - THE WORKS "32,445" 28
HBO PRIME "32,144" 28
SPORTSMAN CHANNEL "31,822" 28
ESPN CLASSIC "30,715" 27
STARZ "29,141" 26
STARZ PRIMARY "28,436" 25
SHOWTIME "28,094" 25
SHOWTIME PRIME "27,867" 24
FOX DEPORTES "20,599" 18
MULTIMAX "20,471" 18
MAXPRIME "20,226" 18
DISCOVERY EN ESPANOL "7,311" 6
TOTAL CABLE PLUS "103,241" 90
TOTAL WIRED CABLE "68,033" 60
CABLE PLUS W/ PAY "55,719" 49
WIRED CABLE W/ PAY "37,031" 32
ADS "35,833" 31
TOTAL U.S. "114,200"
The HD in my TX20 is starting to fail (picture keeps freezing). How do I determine which HD's will work in this unit? Just looking for an inexpensive drive. Don't need a lot of space.
Never seen this before. When I use the 30 second skip instead of jumping 30 seconds ahead my Roamio Plus goes into fast forward to get 30 seconds further along. The 8 second skip back works like I expect, a direct jump back. I can probably get used to it but its not what I'm used to. Every previous TiVo has just jumped ahead. Is this something that can be set or is it hard coded behavior?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
I'm in the market for a Roameo Plus and several Minis. I have FIOS for TV / internet and coax to every TV site, and ethernet to all but one. I'd like to know if I can use the built in MOCA on the Roameo to send both DVR'ed shows *and* netflix/youtube/internet shows to the Mini that will not be near an ethernet jack.
I think it'll all just work, without additional hardware (eg, a MOCA adapter) but I'd like to get an education opinion.
Does anyone have any answers?
I have FIOS. SD recordings (I love old tv shows and save alot of them), require alot more space when recorded OTA than recorded from a cable channel.
I mean, 1 hr shows on the cable run about 1.2G, while OTA requires 8-9G files!
Therefore, I get alot lets recorded on the Tivo before it runs out of space!
Now, I know about compression, etc but why does one need a bandwidth of 13 mbps ota for sd shows on sd 480 channels?
Do you think they will ever provide this feature?
I have a real need for this... We have a home in Florida that presently don't want to pay for cable TV 11 months of the year we don't use it, as we only vacation there right now (4-5weeks per year).
If I could have a Roamio in our CT home, and be able to stream the content to another Premiere or Roamio in FLorida -- I'd buy one Today!
I'm able to stream to my iPad in Florida, so what's the difference? Why wouldn't they just modify the client software on the TiVo to allow over Internet streaming between all your TiVos on the same account?
do I just buy an HDMI adapter for my iPad and do a homegrown solution to get it on my 52" screen?
Like everyone else, I'm selling my TiVo Premiere Elite with Lifetime service to make room for a Roamio. I have the original box and all accessories. Everything looks and functions as it did when it was brand new. $450 shipped to the lower 48.
I have 2 lifetime Premiere boxes that support both OTA and cable for sale. One has a 2GB drive installed, the other has a 1TB drive.
$420 each, shipped to PayPal confirmed address. If you think that's not fair, make me an offer.
I can't seem to stream from my Roamio Pro. The stream is working as I can stream from my old Premiere XL4 (after I unplugged the standalone Stream unit). Whenever I select the Roamio from the drop down menu, the iPad app gives an error message and reselects the Premiere.
Is this an activation issue? I changed my plan to lifetime service once I received the Roamio. Video sharing is selected in my device preferences at Tivo.com's website.
My very first Tivo, a Roamio Plus, will be delivered today. I am crazy excited, wanted one for a long, long time.
I have read some things here about TW but most of it seems to be very old and I have not had good luck with TW in the past. As a matter of fact just trying to get what I need for the Tivo from them has been a challenge. I called to order what I needed and they said all I need is a cable card. Having read about the SDV Tuning Adapter I thought that can't be right so after a quick post and some great responses I finally got a hold of cable card support and they got me the Tuning Adapter. This leaves me worried, very worried.
What else do I need to know about setup with TW Dallas? Is the Tivo stable on TW or is it a constant struggle?
Thanks for the help.
Does anyone know how to get the banner to display at the top of the screen? (channel info with the progress bar at the bottom)
We're almost done watching the first episode and we're not happy. First of all they have all this web-based contest stuff with the Sous Chefs. I'm not going to watch anything on my PC, me and my wife crowded in front of my desk. :mad: But more to the point of why I'm ready to bail already... it took nearly half the show before they did any actual cooking! I'm watching the show because I like to see top notch chefs try to out-cook each other, not to watch people jump out of planes and drive cross-country in their Lexus loaners.
We may give this season one more episode... but the SP is hanging by a thread.
I've been through the re-pairing several times via the automated system and twice while Fios support were on the phone. In all cases the pairing lasts for a while and then I get the TiVo activate CC screen and no channels.
Ok, I have had a Tivo since 1999. And a S3 HD since 2007. The is my first time in the new interface. A list of things I don't like after a day.
1) Settings Interface - Not HD old interface
2) Signal Strength - doesn't work, the Tone sound stopped signalling me how strong the signal was, and all the signals strength were a lot lower, S3 were all 90+, this device not (at least this page doesn't report correctly)
3) The channel select page (I'm OTA) is old interface. And it really sucks! When I scan channels about 40 show up, but only 10-15 are good. So I have to remove all 25+ bad channels. I literally have to do two steps, step 1 get a pen an paper and channel surf - writing down the good channels. step 2 enter the channel select page and delete the bad channels. Why can't this page be in HD and show you video at the same time, so you don't have to switch back and forth and quality and/remove channels from your lineup.
4)Showcase apps- OLD!! SD! I never used this stuff in 14 years. Why does it have such a large button for something that UI doesn't match and I don't use. Let me remove it or remove it for everyone. Google discontinues OLD products, this should be discontinued. I don't want those GAMES.
5)Youtube, why is the Loading screen not HD? why does it take so long to load?
6) ****** Very annoying = takes 3 seconds to change channels!! Why do we have to see a black screen for so long! the s3 OTA channel change was instant, you didn't see a black screen.... ******VERY ANNOYING
7) Amazon Instant is CRAP, worthless, and OLD. come on.... this is not the amazon one app we want. I rather have zero amazon then this app that I have not used in 7 years with the Tivo S3. yet again it would be better to get rid of the old first.
8) ********another very annoying, when you switch between season pass page and live view, or tivo menu and live video - why does the video/audio flash off for a second. It is distracting and never happened on my S3. feels very broken and buggy.
9) new RF remote seems slightly unresponsive, every 100 button presses doesn't seem to register.
10) why is default 1080i and not 1080p?
11) tivo lanuch pad seems unresponsive and OLD, Fling queue is a non-supported google chromecast feature. why does the logo need to say "Launchpad for Tivo" shouldn't "Launchpad" be enough? maybe season pass page it should be called "Seasonpass for Tivo" and "Live View for Tivo" Each menu title should have "for Tivo" added to it so I don't forget what Device I am using. bad design....
12) no Android support. I got the free Stream device. But I don't have or ever want a crappy iOS device.
13) NO UV MOVIES!! Booooo. we need Vude/Flixster ASAP
**LAST ONE IS A HUGE CHANGE
14) When changing channels on the S3 Tivo had a temporary buffer for the other tuner (the channel you are not watching) would continued to recorded. So if you switched back to the channel you would still have a buffer. so you switch back and forth between two live shows (which are not being recorded on a schedule) and still rewind, the Tivo uses the opposite tuner each channel you change. But now as soon as you change the channel you lose your buffer!! Tivo is only using one tuner when changing channel? Why not do the same thing as on the old, use all tuners that are not being used and keep the buffers for the old previous stations, rotate them out so you would have 4 - 30 minute buffers.
1) hd OTA signal strength seems as good as my S3, even tho the testing page doesnt work
2) Slide remote works perfectly - will use this instead of the RF remote.
3) thank you for letting me hide how much drive space is used on the main window. seeing %10 used or 50% used is just useless, in 14 years of having a tivo I have never cared or ran not of space.
4) 4 TUNNERS!!! SO MUCH BETTER THAN 2 !!
5) Tivo MINI!!
6) Android App now works! with the S3 it was crippled. (however the setup was rather silly.. I could of designed a much quicker.
7) The physical box is REALLY small! I like. (I turned of the LED lights tho & miss my clock and LED screen that indicated what shows are being recorded.)
all in all it seems like this unit is not completely new.
it still has OLD interfaces and OLD apps
Tivo really should of purged all the old stuff.
I can't believe some of the choices they made in this software.
But you have to remember. Tivo makes money from lawsuits, not US!
Overall I think Tivo just have bad software designers. They can't seem to get away from OLD code. They have a business department that decides UI and makes bad choices. They should look at both the Roku and cromecast, both of those products are more innovative. They should learn agile programming and more software updates. knowing tivo this software will not be changed for another 9 months. and if you were agile, most of the bugs I mentioned could be fixed in days or weeks.
But I love my tivo, because it lets me skip commercials and never miss a TV show. Lets me not have to pay for cable for over 9 years.
I have 3 active TiVo's now. I keep pressing the Zoom button on the new remote because that is where the Guide button used to be. Now, I might agree that the new remote has a layout that is a bit more logical. But, I think it might be better if I am using 3 of the same remotes instead of 2 the same and 1 close but with a few buttons moved around. Just don't think there is any reason to use the new remote over my old glow remote that isn't currently being used.