Your #1 dedicated resource center to buy, discuss, and chat on the use of TiVo powered products and services such as Series 1, Series 2, and Series 3.
Updated: 2 hours 34 min ago
So, it looks like the Roamio line will be able to stream live TV outside the home, correct? Basically, a built-in slingbox (Pro & Plus) if you will. When this feature comes, will it basically just use one of the Roamio's available tuners & not affect the current viewer?
I am hoping it works this way as I have looked into some slingbox type products that would work with TiVo, but all of them basically require changing the channel and would affect whoever is watching at that time. Having this non-intrusive feature on a Roamio would be great & could be a tipping point for me to get one.
NEVER does the Tivo website remember me for more than one day. There is a checkbox that says "keep signed in for 45 days" and I always check it. This is not a problem for any other site and I have cookies on. EVEN SAYS MY NAME AT THE TOP - but yet, have to sign in AGAIN, always.
Just one of the problems with the site, which is pure crap.
Almost bought the Roamio until...I went through the Checkout process and the MSD disappeared from the pricing and the price jumped back up to $1349 (Roamio Pro + Lifetime & Mini + Lifetime).
I have been using Tivo for 11 years and I think Tivo would be smart enough to offer a token discount offer to their loyalist.
I am rethinking purchasing the roamio and think that $1350 buys a ton of content and movies that I can purchase through and apple or a roku of which I both own.
Does anyone else feel the same and has put off on purchasing a Roamio?
I've just purchased a Roamio Pro with Lifetime to replace my TiVo Elite / Premiere XL 4 w/ Lifetime in my basement, my main TV watching area. I have a Premiere XL with Lifetime that my wife uses in the living room and then a Premiere with Lifetime in the bedroom, which we don't have any season passes on. We don't watch a whole lot of TV in the bedroom unless we are sick in bed or watching an occasional single show at night before bed. I was thinking I could go with the Mini in the bedroom so I can have a newer interface and have all the recordings centralized on the Roamio Pro. I plan on selling the Premiere XL 4 for sure. Already up on Ebay. The Premiere XL gets my wife's trashy reality shows...LOL...Has anyone gone this route and regretted it? Do you miss the dual live buffers?
I'm a little surprised not to find any thread for HK Season 11, which ended about a month ago.
Anyway, this year's prize was to be "head chef" (what that means can be up to some broad interpretation, although there is a guaranteed $250,000 "salary" for one year) at Gordon Ramsay Pub & Grill at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. However, it was just announced
that, "due to personal matters," the winner, Ja'Nel Witt, will not be cooking there. (TMZ has a report
on just what those "personal matters" were.)
Note that she will still get the $250,000 prize, and the runner-up will not be receiving the job at Gordon Ramsay Pub & Grill in Ja'Nel's place.
So I've heard some stories about "user profiles", though I don't think there's been any official information on that topic. So I'm wondering if there are currently ANY tools on Roamio to help manage 450 HD hours? I'd like to replace 2 Tivos with 1 Roamio, but I'm not sure my wife will want to sift through hundreds of hours of my *junk* to find the pearls that are *her* shows! :p
Big Brother will be shown on WLNY-55 TV this Thursday. Jets preseason football will be on WCBS.
It is channel 55 on FIOS and 10 on Cablevision (not all systems). Not sure what channel it is on with the other systems in the NYC Metro area.
Interesting episode; at least it confirmed some of the speculation we had, such as it's a wrongful termination suit for Jerry Dantana.
The incorrect Heli manifest story was far fetched, but still entertaining.
What I don't understand, though, is that (I thought) Charlie said in the previous episode he knew at 10:05 it was all fake; it seems like it took a lot longer.
Some great interactions, especially with Don and the lawyer.
Leona Lansing's reaction was great, although given previous season, I would have thought she'd treasure the opportunity to get rid of Will and Charlie.
I have a relatively new Premiere XL4. A month ago I suddenly lost audio through the HDMI connection (Pioneer AV Receiver, 18 mo old). Video is fine but audio just "pops".
Tried a new HDMI cable, no effect. Switched to a different HDMI input on my receiver, problem resolved.
Now, a month later, problem comes back. Same result- switching HDMI inputs fixes the issue.
I have a cable box, blue ray player and xbox 360 all connected to the same receiver with HDMI and no issues at all.
I realize that I can switch to component video and digital audio but I really shouldn't have to. Things ought to work!
One thing I never understood about Tivo - what service are they providing that demands these high fees?
The only thing I see them doing is providing a TV Guide to the box. The new Tivo Stream also requires a monthly fee when it does the exact same thing as Slingbox, which requires no monthly fees.
I honestly don't have any problem paying a monthly fee as long as I feel like the service I am getting justifies it - but I just don't see it in this situation.
The Roamio has been up and running since Friday night. This is my first Tivo and I am still getting to know how everything works but it is so superior to my TWC DVR that I already feel the high price of the Roamio is worth every penny.
Here are my initial thoughts:
The Bad/Not Understood Yet:
- 6 tuners - enough said.
- Play button out of fast forward - I am sure that it is just a standard timing thing but some how it always seems to start playing exactly where I want it to instead of having to rewind a little like I had to with my TWC DVR.
- Meta Data - Though in some cases it can take a few too many button pushes, the ways to search or alter guide filters are amazing.
- Custom channel set up - On TWC every channel is duplicated about 4 times. This always drove me crazy as it made surfing very frustrating and the guide almost useless. The ability to hide all of the unused channels is a God send to me. I now have just the channels I use in my guide.
- Works perfectly with my Harmony One remote - I tried the Tivo remote for a while but because it isn't backlit and we have other devices attached to the TV I wanted my H1 back. Setup took a while as I had to figure out a model number that would work (these forums provided the answer!) but finally got it and it works perfectly.
- Tivo Recommendations - I am sure this gets better over time but they were so far of base that it shook me a little. I have begun to add thumbs to help but I don't understand the algorithm yet and it concerns me.
- Remote not backlit - don't understand this. Most media rooms are dark and I think it was a mistake on their part.
- Exiting menus - I am sure this is something that is learned but I still am not totally sure how to exit menus and go back to live TV. Seems very nonstandard sometimes. Sometimes I can use the left arrow and other times the only way I can do it is by using the Live TV button.
- No clock on the face of the box - this hurts. The only thing I liked about my TWC DVR was the clock on the front. Really wish the Tivo had one.
- Networking - I am using Wi-Fi for now but I have a very fast "N" router and the Roamio seems sketchy with it. Very slow to authenticate and just doesn't seem to have a very good connection sometimes. Though this may be a result of the router, I don't experience this with other devices on the same network. I was really worried that my TWC setup was going to suck but that went really well, the biggest issues has turned out to be networking. The first night it was terrible. I was getting error messages every time I tried to access the menus. This has improved over time and things seemed much smoother after the first 24 hours but I can tell there are still issues from time to time. I will investigate my options and try to figure it out.
- Menus speed - not sure how much of this is related to the network but menus can be very frustrating at times. The What To Watch menu drives me insane with how slow it is. Really hope this improves.
I only really watch those two (and TAR, but I'm not sure there were ever GREAT players there), so I'm basing my choices on those two shows.
1) Player should have made it to the finals of their season(s)
2) Bonus points for winning
Other than that, whatever you think?
I have a premiere 4 (with moca) and a tivo mini. Recently, when doing diagnostics, I notice the port check fails. It used to succeed almost instantly. I contacted Tivo tech support. Their suggestion was to open about 22 plus ports on my router, which I have. However, I am still getting a port error issue. Any suggestions?
The "What To Watch Now" access from My Shows screen is another annoying feature I'll never use that cannot be disabled AFAIK (TiVo seems to be fond of trying to tell me what I should be watching). Anyone found a way to get rid of it from My Shows screen? There's no option from Settings-Channels to get rid of it that I found.
I need to replace a drive in my (lieftime) Series 3 (OLED). I have a WinMFS image I have used in the past & works great so I am now looking to get it a new hard drive (& then put the image on it). Are these pretty much the best ones to go with:
Also, I actually have a spare TiVO HD (TCD652160, not lifetimed) that isn't being used. Can I possibly use this same S3 (OLED) image on the 160GB hard drive? Or does the replacement drive HAVE to be at least 250GB for a Series 3 (OLED)? I thought I remember reading something about this here a while back, but maybe not.
I realize its a lot smaller in terms of capacity, but this Series 3 (OLED) in question is basically being used as a cable box in a lightly used basement rec area and not much is recorded to it anyway. Therefore, maybe I can just recycle the old Series 3 HD (TCD652160) drive instead. Just curious.
I purchased a new Roamio and its working well so its time for one of my Premiere 2 tuner units with 2TB drive and lifetime service to find a new home.
How much should I ask for it and where is the best place to sell it? Of course if anyone here wants it, shoot me a pm and we could arrange something. Not looking for the last dime out of it. Just something fair and easy.
This episode missed for me. Didn't like the lacrosse game from hell, didn't like the missing baby, didn't like the lack of progression with the Swede. Hopefully it gets back on track next weekend.
Did everyone get these with their roamio's? I just noticed it only arrived with one of mine.
How well does the ATSC tuner work in this compared to the Premiere? Also, what's the speed of the GUI like? These are my 2 biggest complaints with the Premiere? Last, can you still use the classic GUI or MUST you use the new HD GUI?