The Olympics are coming up, so it's time to think about buying another TiVo.
I'm on Comcast with all-digital cable (Motorola head-end). We have slowish-DSL. I have one TiVoHD. Our TV is SD, so we wouldn't be using the HDUI.
Budget (not counting service) is $150.00.
What I need: basic TiVo functionality. I don't do Netflix or Hulu; I don't have a smartphone; I don't need a multi-room solution. I just want more tuners, and the basic record-watch- delete or archive TiVo stuff. I do archive, especially for the Olympics (using kmttg/VideoReDo TVSuite).
So here's what I'm looking at:
- The Premiere ($49.99)
- The Premiere 4 ($124.99, or $99 for the refurb)
- The Premiere 4 XL refurb ($149.99)
- (the wildcard) Humax DRT400 from Weaknees ($149.00)
- used TiVoHD off eBay?
Obvious advantages are:
- For the two-tuner Premiere: it's cheap.
- For the P4 -- more tuners, and if we retired the HD, we'd only have one monthly service charge instead of 2.
- For the P4XL -- the same, with more space on the drive.
However, if the performance is flaky and I miss the recordings I want, none of the other specs really matter.
- Any functions that are only available on the HDUI are off-limits
- Premieres are older technology, thus not as future-proofed as buying a new Roamio
- Refurbs are refurbed for a reason - do I want to buy someone else's problem?
So: which one do I want? Or should I scrape the couch cushions for the extra $50 and buy a new Romio instead?
Which TiVo is best at doing basic TiVo stuff, and is the least likely to flake out on me?