1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Youtube app - how do you type a search?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by swerver, Sep 27, 2013.

1. swerver

swerver Member

May 18, 2012
    All I can find is the screen with the alphabet all across the top, but it doesn't respond to typing on the slide keyboard. Any help? I hope it's not gone. All the other apps still support typing.

2. swerver

swerver Member

May 18, 2012
    Can anyone confirm that the youtube app doesn't let me type on my slide?

3. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    The YouTube app also won't let me type using the iOS app. So I'm guessing it's how the YouTube app on the Tivo is coded.

-Kevin

4. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    I don't have a keyboard remote to try...but the normal way is to use the arrow/select buttons to type what you want.

5. swerver

swerver Member

May 18, 2012
    Yes but I used to be able to type on the slide, so that I didn't have to use the arrow-to-each-letter method. Must be a bug - I can't imagine why they would take away that feature.

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The Roamio YouTube app is a generic HTML5 one designed to use with many devices including TVs that don't normally have alphanumeric input support. So I don't think it's an oversight but rather a side effect of moving to HTML5 client. YouTube COULD add keyboard support but probably have little interest in doing so for the minute set of devices that could work with it.

7. apw2607

apw2607 New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    True, but you can use the youtube App on iOS and send it to the tivo's youtube app ... Which in a way is better.

8. swerver

swerver Member

May 18, 2012
    That is a nice feature. But it would be nicer if they didn't scrap the old way too. Seems short sighted to remove (or not include, re: html5 version) text input for a... text box. I just had a thought but don't remember the answer - does it let one type when logging in? Will have to try it later but I feel like I did use my slide keyboard for that...