1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XL4 m-card insertion problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by JandS, Jul 17, 2012.

1. JandS

JandS Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Are there any tricks to inserting the m-card into the XL4?

I don't recall any problem inserting our older XL2's m-card, but with this XL4 it seems like the new-to-us Comcast m-card just doesn't want to fit.

The slot seems to be wide enough, about 1/8in on both sides of the card. The slot has 4 little metal "tabs" or "guides" visible on the back which move when pressed.

Comcast tech support says they only have 1 kind of m-card.

I hesitate using much more force than we've already tried. Don't want to remove XL2 card to compare them, as that would probably require re-pairing.

2. JandS

JandS Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Forgot to say that this is a new XL4, not a refurb.

However, upon closer examination I think we found the problem. It appears to be a manufacturing defect in that the card slot interior alignment is about 1/8 in higher on the right side than the left, so that part of the black corner "edge railing" obstructs the card from going in. Dang.

3. Tony Chick

Tony Chick New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    I had difficulty with my XL4 also, it took a lot of manipulating to get the Motorola card to slide into the slot.

4. JandS

JandS Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Thx, Tony. We had considered trying to force it more but worried that the card might be jammed so tightly it would never come out again.

Tivo's support has issued an RMA. Tech support was very good, call answered quickly and whole discussion was handled exceptionally well.

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Which brings into question QA procedures on TiVo's part. I guess QA doesn't include actually verifying the unit runs with a CableCard or even attempting to insert a card to see if it fits in the slot.

6. JandS

JandS Member

Oct 1, 2010
    The "J" of "JandS" observed that folks who are OTA probably wouldn't even know if their cablecard slot is misaligned.

7. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Except the XL4 doesn't do OTA
    :D

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Both of my ELite CC slots are tight compared to my two tuner Premieres. But not tight enough where I would have needed to force it in.