1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xfinity Ondemand question?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Vicpdx192, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Vicpdx192

Vicpdx192 New Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Oregon
    I was wondering and hope someone knows, does Xfinity On-demand on tivo use the internet for content or does it pull all the stuff from the same place Comcast's STB's get it from and use a tuner to do that??

2. geekmedic

geekmedic TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    It uses internet to order the video, play/pause/rewind, but the video itsel comes from a tuner.

3. Vicpdx192

Vicpdx192 New Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Oregon
    oh ok so I should expect extra data usage correct?

4. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
  5. geekmedic

geekmedic TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    No, it doesn't count against your data for the video itself. It's only sending minuscule information to Comcast to let the system know to start a video, pause it, etc.

I think the previews go over the internet. The video is like watching any other tuned channel. If you pause it for a few minutes, Comcast will release the tuner (to allow someone else to use it) and you'll have to go to the main XOD menu and choose your video under the "saved on demand" folder. You can pick up where you left off there.

If your internet goes out while watching a show, you'll be unable to pause, rewind, etc. but the show will keep playing. I found this out while working on my router while the wife was watching a show.

6. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    With Comcast set-top boxes, the control information is sent back up the cable to Comcast VOD controller. Since TiVo boxes don't have the hardware to do this, the Comcast VOD app running on the TiVo sends the control information over the TiVo's Internet connection to the VOD controller. The Internet connection doesn't have to be Comcast Internet service. In either case, a digital cable channel is allocated to your request and the video is sent over that digital channel to your TiVo, the only difference being how the control information is transmitted.

7. Vicpdx192

Vicpdx192 New Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Oregon
    ah ok cool! thanks everyone for your help!

8. JZC

JZC New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    I was watching a show on-demand the other day and when my internet dropped out, the show froze and dropped back to the main Tivo interface. I could not get back into the on-demand menus until my internet came back online.