1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTH? TiVo Stream is cool, but no Airplay or HDMI supported?!?!?!

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by dmk1974, Feb 23, 2013.

1. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    I just finally bought a TiVo Stream. Set up just fine and allows me to stream shows from any of my 3 TiVo Premiere units onto my iPad and iPhone while in the house.

But apparently not all iOS devices are supported because I can't AirPlay to an Apple TV3 box. Why not? And from a search, the lightning to HDMI adapter won't work either. To me, this sucks because I have a TV in the kitchen that does not have a TiVo box connected, but has a little Apple TV mounted to the back. I'd really like to also watch TiVo shows in there via my iPad or iPhone AirPlay connected to it (or worst-case HDMI).

Seems like their software makes this a limited device that may lead me to decide to return it to Best Buy. Otherwise for the iPad/iPhone, it seems to work as advertised. Just very limited!

2. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It's a 1-trick pony, streams to an iOS device to watch on that device, they make no allusions that it's more.

If you want it on a TV they want you to use their solutions, either a DVR or the upcoming Mini, but the Stream isn't meant to display on the big screen.

3. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Because the content providers specifically do not want you using the stream in that way...

4. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    The newest version of the HBO GO iOS app will let you use AirPlay. It seems the content providers are starting to get over it.

But TiVo wants you to buy a mini, so they probably won't turn this feature on.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm not so sure they care that much. If the HBOGo app loosens the restrictions imposed by the content providers then I don't think TiVo will purposely keep blocking it just because they want you to buy a Mini instead. The Mini will still provide a better experience and better video quality, so it's not like they would compete directly with one another.

6. SullyND

SullyND L:45-21 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    I'd be curious the percentage of content HBOGo streams which is not HBO original (Which is the only reason I subscribe - their non-original content sucks). Beyond that, HBO has direct agreements with their content providers, and has leverage with them (Ok film studio, you don't want us streaming, we won't be featuring your product anymore).

TiVo has no such agreements, and has the potential to tick off substantially more content providers, including the networks that carry them.

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    HBOGo allows you to stream pretty much all the same movies that are avialble to watch on their live channel. I use it to watch movies sometimes because it's more convenient then remembering to look through the guide and pre-setup a movie I want to see.

8. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    But it is the content provider, in this case, HBO, who is deciding what can be done with the app. With a single app tied to a single product, it's easy to make that happen.

9. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Um,

I just said it was the content provider.

10. tbielowicz

tbielowicz New Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Has anyone tried this with a Jailbroken device? Airplay or HDMI... Wondering if it will work then?

11. Fofer

Fofer XenForo Rocks! TCF Club

Oct 29, 2000
    Yes.

You need two tweaks installed:

xCon lets you stream to the iPad/iPhone (tricking the TiVo app, which normally doesn't let you stream to a jailbroken device.)

UnrestrictPremium lets you use AirPlay mirroring, even though this app precludes you from AirPlay of any kind.

I've installed both and have gotten this to work with my AppleTV.

12. Fofer

Oct 29, 2000

Note: for this to work, I had to turn off UnrestrictPremium's toggle for "Airplay Override." Not sure why. With that toggle on, I couldn't even stream regularly to the iPad. I'd get an error, buffering, and then unable to connect. With "Airplay override" OFF, everything worked properly again. With it off, AirPlay Mirroring still works (that's the whole point of UnrestrictPremium, after all.)

This took me a bit to troubleshoot and I was getting frustrated, almost started to think my Stream went bad. Glad I figured out what was causing the problem, and was able to work around it.

13. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Aug 25, 2010

What's the quality like

14. Fofer

Oct 29, 2000
    Pretty freakin' good, I've gotta say. Audio sync is perfect. PQ is good too. The TV I am using this with has an "automatic" scaling function so the video window fills the screen nicely. This also works with the TWC Cable (live TV) app which also typically precludes AirPlay/AirPlay Mirroring.

If you do this you'll probably want to leave the iPad/iPhone plugged in, because it is on and playing/streaming the whole time and you don't want the battery to die down on your device. In this case the iOS device is basically acting as your "remote control" too, it just so happens to be playing the show on your iOS display as well. With Mirroring, if you turn the iPad screen off, it turns off the TV/AppleTV display off too.

The UnrestrictPremium tweak was also recently updated in Cydia. Now "Airplay Override" has 3 different toggles to try, all to achieve the same "native AirPlay" function via different means with different apps. I tried each, and each, prevented the TiVo app from streaming video AT ALL. I'll be reporting this to the developer in the hopes he can fix this.

In the meantime though, even with the current setup, it's pretty darn good and certainly usable. This setup makes me "less sad" that the upcoming TiVo Mini doesn't work with 2-tuner Premieres (as I have.) It only works with the 4-tuner ones, for now, apparently, and we hope that TiVo works out dynamic tuner allocation so it will work for older boxes too. But until then, and even if they don't, this represents a great way to simultaneously share TiVo content with another TV set. Add a TiVo Stream, an AppleTV and a jailbroken iOS device, and you're in business. :)

15. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Nice. Now find me a way to have my Apple TV browse and stream my tivo without a phone or a tablet in the middle and I will be a happy man.

16. Fofer

Oct 29, 2000
    Amen, brother. Amen.

17. tbielowicz

tbielowicz New Member

Apr 16, 2009
    This is actually good news. Thanks for the confirmation!

As long as you are OK with using an iPad or iPhone to watch TV, it can basically do what a Tivo Mini does for $100 (if you already have the phone or tablet).

I guess the biggest issues

1) Battery drain on iDevice
    2) Battery life gets reduced quicker on iDevice
    3) Taking time to get the stream app connected to the iDevice then the TV (quick watching recorded or live TV can be a pain).

Plus, my Tivo stream seems to freak out on my every two weeks or so. I have to unplug it, wait 10 minutes and I am good.

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You also need the TiVo Stream which is $130. Even if they had an app that ran natively on the Apple TV you'd still need the Stream. So cost of entry for an Apple TV + TiVo Stream is almost the same as a TiVo Mini.

19. Fofer

Oct 29, 2000
    The TiVo Mini also has a monthly cost (or a lifetime fee) -- and for now, and maybe forever, requires at least a 4-tuner TiVo to work.

I have a 2-tuner TiVo and will not upgrade just for the Mini. And I'm disappointed (yet again) that TiVo couldn't implement this properly.

20. SullyND

SullyND L:45-21 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Yeah, you wouldn't downgrade from an S3 to a Premiere either. How long are you gonna hold out, six months? ;)