1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow, quite a night for new shows

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by efilippi, Jan 12, 2014.

1. efilippi

efilippi Active Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    I see that tonight is the beginning for Shameless, Girls, Episodes, and True Detective. Lots of good stuff!

2. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I'll be watching all four of those, but most likely not tonight. :)

When Walking Dead (and TD for some of us) comes back next month, and I think a couple other shows, Sundays will be smoking hot again.

3. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    House of Lies also starts tonight

4. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Oh yay! Love 'House of Lies' too. I really need to look through my 'to do' lists, as I have no idea that some shows are back. I've been concentrating on getting a few new shows lined up lately.

5. ncsercs

ncsercs DirecTivo fan.......

May 5, 2001
    Hinsdale, IL
    Saw S1 and S2 of 'Girls' recently. My god, what a train wreck. Comes across as a hipster version of Seinfeld. One of them reminds me of Sara Silverman. Still interesting, however.

6. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Damn, I just cancelled Showtime on Wednesday. I had no idea Episodes was coming back.

7. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I just signed back up for showtime this weekend, Love "Episodes" and "Shameless".
    Caught some of "House of lies" marathon today.

8. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    The Golden Globe awards are on tonight as well.

9. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    It was an easy decision for me. Rangers vs. Flyers :) It helps to have 5 tuners on the DVR. I don't get Showtime, so that rules those shows out. I'm only mildly interested in True Detective, so I recorded that one which I'll get to at some point. Girls..meh, I'm not the right demo for that show, I watched it a few times and it doesn't appeal to me. I did record 60 Minutes and The Good Wife, which aren't new.

10. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Didn't like Girls, gave it half of the first season, but Episodes is good? Might have to give that a shot

11. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Active Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    I like Girls...watch it via Netflix so usually a season behind.

Episodes is really solid. Matt LeBlanc is great as himself :)

House of Lies is OK. Not great. Not awful. It's a "fun" show. Some good comedy from the lessor consultants.

Shameless is awesome. So wrong, but yet so funny. Maybe the funniest show on TV. :D

12. KenDC

KenDC Huggy Bear

Jun 18, 2001
    Fredericksbu...
    I watched both Girls last night and True Detective.

Girls is what it is. I understand that it is about unsympathetic characters but I still think you get something out of their relationships with each other.

My greatest wonder on True Detectives is if they have enough pot on set with both Matthew and Woody known to like their mary jane.

J/k I thought it was pretty interesting and will give it another watch or two. This will be a show that you will have to watch start to finish not one episode here or there.

13. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I watched like half of the very first episode of Girls and gave up. I really like Episodes. I liked the first season of House of Lies. I watched 2-3 eps of season 2 and haven't watched the rest. Maybe I'll get back to that show some day.

14. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I'm missing something. what show is "J/k" ?

15. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    j/k = just kidding

16. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    For Sundays Walking Dead followed by Shameless will be my priority sequence, the rest may have to punt to Monday night.

Showtime is so strong now with Homeland, Nurse Jackie, ... that I have both HBO and Showtime.

17. KenDC

KenDC Huggy Bear

Jun 18, 2001
    Fredericksbu...
    Sorry, i guess my teens have worn off on me. It is just kidding.

18. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I watched almost all of S1 of Girls before I figured out I really didn't like it.

Episodes is one of the best sitcoms on TV. Absolutely cutting edge funny.

19. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Watched True Detectives last night: excellent stuff. Woody Harrelson is hilarious.

20. DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    Every time I watch girls, I finish the episode and ask myself why I watched it. Nothing redeeming about any of the characters. Lena Dunham is about as pretentious as it comes. Her family is hipster to the core: