1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WOW - Premiere 4 is a LOT Brighter!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by igirl, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Dec 8, 2012 #1 of 20
    igirl

igirl Tivo and EyeTV User

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    We just bought a Premiere 4 (4 tuner with Lifetime and ext. warranty*) to replace our 2 year old Series 4 (2 tuner with Lifetime). (Going to be selling soon)

I just wanted to say, the P4 has a significantly brighter video output (side by side to the S4) that I wasn't expecting to see. I'm not sure how this difference would translate on an LED screen, but on a 60" DLP screen it makes quite a difference. At first I thought it was just in the menus - but it's in live TV and recordings as well.

Whether one likes it or not, is a YMMV - but it was something unexpected for sure! Just sayin' ...

*We also bought the 3 year warranty on the P4 - only a 90 day manufacturer's warranty on a brand new Tivo box is scary. I've never had a Tivo break, but it sure indicates a lack of confidence and support for the hardware on the part of the company!

2. Dec 8, 2012 #2 of 20
    ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I can't see how this is even technically possible???

3. Dec 8, 2012 #3 of 20
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well if you plug the 2 TiVos into different inputs those 2 inputs may well brightness and other settings set differently.

4. Dec 8, 2012 #4 of 20
    mrsean

mrsean Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    Having done just the same. I too notice that difference in the brightness of the menus screens between the TP and the TP4 when utilizing the same tv/hdmi cable. There also seems to be slight more sharpness as well IMO.

I also agree that it's a shame that TiVo doesn't at least provide a full warranty for their products for a year like most CE manufacturers. I'm sure that this and things like this and that stupid Tebow promotion do peel off new TiVo sales -not a lot, but TiVo's sales number aren't significant anyways.

5. Dec 8, 2012 #5 of 20
    igirl

igirl Tivo and EyeTV User

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Different hardware - two different boxes...

I thought this too, so swapped the same TV Input/HDMI cable from one Tivo to the next - still a there difference in brightness/clarity. No complaints, just interesting.

6. Dec 8, 2012 #6 of 20
    Bob723

Bob723 New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Minneapolis,...
    I'm not sure about the brightness comment - I don't see a difference - but for me the picture quality with the XL4 is significantly better than I got with my TiVo HD. Initially I had to adjust the color - everything was red with the XL4. The HD quality is fantastic - I was not expecting that when I bought the unit - and it makes watching TV even better than before. I LOVE the XL4!

7. Dec 8, 2012 #7 of 20
    ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    My comment on doubting the possibility had to do with the digital nature of the source, the recording and (if using HDMI) the transmission.

There is no room for any variability in any of these up to the input of the TV.

8. Dec 9, 2012 #8 of 20
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Even though it's all digital there is still decoding and color conversion that happens when converting the MPEG-2 video to the uncompressed digital signal used by HDMI. The quality of the chip used for that process can have an effect on picture quality, regardless of your TV settings.

Dan

9. Dec 9, 2012 #9 of 20
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Absolutely. It would be a bit puzzling for it to be the case, but most definitely possible. That said, are both units or either unit THX certified? If so, their outputs for a given input signal should be almost identical, and certainly to the human eye. It's also possible, of course, that one of the units is just mildly defective - just not so much one would notice until comparing them side by side. I surely would not expect there to be a noticeable difference between two properly functioning units with the same chip in them.

10. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    THX certified means nothing. The non-THX version of each box has the same exact hardware as the other.

11. ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I'm not saying you are wrong by any stretch. I'm just very surprised that it could be so. I don't have any architecture designs to say one way or the other.

12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm not saying that's the cause of the effect being seen by the OP. I'm simply saying that just because it's "all digital" doesn't mean there can't be some fluctuation. These types of fluctuations are more common in the analog space, but they are still entirely possible in the digital space.

Dan

13. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    It means a great deal. Specifically, it means any two properly functioning units will have essentially identical outputs within very narrow ranges of variation.

That may be true, or may not. I do not know, but whether two units have the same hardware or not, if they are THX certified, then they will produce identical outputs when functioning properly. If one is not THX certified, but both have the same hardware, then it is true they should have the same output. OTOH, if one is not THX certified and does not have the same hardware, then it is not surprising, and certainly not necessarily a matter of either unit malfunctioning for them to have different outputs.

When the manufacturer seeks THX certification, it obligates itself that the production of the unit will result in highly uniform performance across the product line. The manufacturer has no such obligation for any product line that is not certified.

14. videobruce

videobruce OTA is still alive

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    But there is loads of room with the electronics that processes the output. Levels can vary all over the place including the same model.
    That's called mass production. The way each is setup and/or tweaked.

The Cisco DVR from TWC has a very 'contrasty' output compared to other devices on the same input.

15. veruca salt

veruca salt I want it NOW!!

Jun 30, 2007
    Got a question about the premier 4 and while this isn't really a thread encouraging other questions, I don't want to start an entire new threat.

So...do you have to have 4 cable cards for it?

16. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    NO. Look at the BACK of it.

17. veruca salt

Jun 30, 2007
    Was that an answer to my question? If so, I guess I should have mentioned that I don't have one but am thinking about buying.

18. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    1 Multi-stream CableCard can handle up to 6 tuners, so you only need 1.

19. veruca salt

Jun 30, 2007
    thank you moyekj

20. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I know I was being slightly sarcastic, but I meant even images on Amazon or somewhere else.

It's obvious that there is only one slotÂ… Plus since you already knew about cable cards, I would've thought you'd know that current cards ("M" cards) can do multiple channels at once.