1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow-changed from wireless adapter to powerline internet, much faster

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by moon_tower, Jul 31, 2012.

1. moon_tower

moon_tower New Member

Feb 2, 2008
    I've always had some issues with Netflix and Tivo Transfer with my two Series 3 Tivos. The Netflix would lock up sometimes or the online menus on the Tivo would be slow. I've considered using a powerline system, but they were kind of expensive.

I bought the Actiontec Plug Av 200 Mbps adapter kit, and I am amazed. It was $50 on Amazon, but it is worth the extra speed without having to run internet cable throughout my house. I wish I had done this sooner. I know they don't work for everyone, but they worked for me right out of the box.

I could never watch a program right away that was transferring from another Tivo, but I can now. The amazing thing is only one of my Tivos is hooked up to the powerline; the other uses wireless still. I'll probably get an adapter for that one as well.

2. Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Centerville,...
    Yes, I've found that powerline adapters work much better than wireless connections on many different kinds of networked hardware. I'm using the old 85 Mbps adapters and they do fine.

3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Did you ever compare wireless to Ethernet cable straight from the back of that TiVo to a jack on the router?

4. moon_tower

moon_tower New Member

Feb 2, 2008
    My router is a pretty good distance from my TiVo, so in short, no. I considered running the cable, but it would have required another hole in my wall or floor. I was looking for the easy solution.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I thought you might have set the TiVo up in the same room as the router just long enough to test it wired for comparison's sake.

6. Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    I too went from wireless to Powerline (WD) and it a tremendous difference. My router is a floor directly above one of my S4s and two rooms off to the side and below the other and the transfer speed was extremely slow from one to the other as well as with my computer. I bought two units, four boxes, to hook up my two tivos and two computers. Each box has four outlets and I used two on one and one on each of the others. The speed on everything jumped to close to wired speed. The Tivos see them as a wired connection, although I don't think that makes a difference. I would recommend Powerline, for me Western Digital, to anyone having transfer issues through wireless.

7. Surrealone

Surrealone TiVoOnThEmInD

Dec 8, 2006
    I have gone from Wireless to powerline to MoCa and WOW I can now watch my transfer without waiting. So far for me MoCa was the best way to go.