1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth spending more for Premiere XL because of THX?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by atomarchio, May 10, 2012.

1. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I am upgrading from S3 to a Premiere. I don't need the extra HD space or tuners.

Is it worth going from Premiere to Premiere XL for the THX certified feature?

I do have issues with having to turn the sound up/down when watching shows/movie with loud sound effects.

Would the THX help at all? If not, I would spend the extra $ for Premiere XL.

Please let me know. Thanks.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    All the Premieres have identical audio and video output. They just paid for THX certification for those models. You won't see or hear any difference with them over the non THX certified Premieres.

3. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    The value of the features for me (and this is a judgement call for each person):
    1. THX certification $5 (No one has shown any hardware differences between the box saying that the vanilla box couldn't be certified, just that it isn't. It does come with a calibration video on it, that is not retrievable after deletion.)
    2. Harddrive size $50 (It would be nice to have a larger harddrive, and it is a bit of a hassle to do it yourself.)
    3. Glo-remote $20 (I haven't used one but it seems people tend to like them.)

So that makes $75. The price difference is $100 right now, so I would have to say that for myself it isn't worth getting. However, the difference is only $25, which isn't a whole lot of money either... I think you have to value the feature differences for yourself.

4. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Thank you for clarifying. I don't need any of those 3 items so I will stick with regular premiere.

I am upgrading solely for the ability to stream shows from my other premiere. From what I read, you can stream any show from premiere to premiere.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Not Amazon Downloads though. Of course you could just download those to a different box.

6. DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    USA
    I bought the XL since I wanted to use the THX setup to tweak the LCD TV's video setup. The THX setup process did correct the factory brightness/contrast quite a bit and is worth it if you've never adjusted your TV, IMHO. Takes a bit of back and forth of some settings to get the best overall picture, but once done the result was worth the extra few bucks for me. If you've set your system up with some other calibration disk/program then the three items others have listed are all you are getting.

If you do purchase a XL then DO NOT delete the THX programs before or after use - you can not bring them back! Ever! Not even from the recently deleted program list or by downloading from Tivo.com. You end up with more-or-less a std. Premiere if you do delete them. So be forewarned!

7. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    What do you mean by "delete the THX programs"? I am not familar with this.

My only possible interest in THX was to improve the audio through my center channel speaker/Sony 3500ES receiver.

8. severe

severe New Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Yikes!! I've heard of software viruses, but this is cRaZy!

9. rhettf

rhettf R3T1CAL

Apr 5, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    You will see no improvements in your audio/video quality (besides what you would get from optimizing the input if you do calibration.

You just get a THX Optimization/calibration video on the TiVo in My Shows and blue glasses (though many TV's have a blue mode thats much more reliable and accurate).

If you want to improve picture quality check out the iScan Duo, its the best consumer level video processor that I know of.

The THX certification is helpful if you have never calibrated your system and need a simple walkthrough.

10. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San...
    I have an Elite. The THX calibration video was inadvertently deleted, but it was recoverable from the deleted program list, thankfully. If I had waited until after it was permanently deleted to free disk space, then I would have been SOL.

So now I find myself doing a quick check that it's there just about every time I switch to the Elite!

11. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    No...

12. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    This is the first time I'm hearing about this. I have deleted the THX video on all three of my Premieres, and have not noticed any adverse affects. What supposedly happens?

13. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    nothing, other than you no longer have the THX video, really that's it, no idea why DB thinks it changes anything other than no longer having the video.

14. rhettf

rhettf R3T1CAL

Apr 5, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    The only adverse affect is that you cant use the THX Calibration Video anymore since you removed it. Nothing actually stops working since the THX certification only gives you tools to calibrate your system.

Side Note: With MRS/MRV you can move the Calibration Video to a non THX Certified TiVo. You can also record HDNet at 8AM for test patterns.

15. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    You think your moving the file but for me the moved file would not play, others have reported the same thing, if that has changed with this new update that is good news.

16. rhettf

rhettf R3T1CAL

Apr 5, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    I copied it from a elite to the old 45 HD Hr Premiere

17. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San...
    I can play the file on my non-THX Premiere using MRS. Trying to download the file for safe-keeping using kmttg failed, so I never tried moving the file from Premiere to Premiere thinking that there is a do-not-copy flag on the file.

Maybe the older HD models don't honor the flag and allow moving?

18. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Also, if you think you might want to sell off your XL in the future, removing the THX calibration video might cause a dispute in the sale, unless you disclose that fact up front.

I can just imagine a buyer claiming:
    "I was buying an XL. All XLs come with a THX calibration video from the factory. The unit I received did not have a calibration video. The XL branding on the case is irrelevant. The seller could have switched out the guts in order to scam me. Oh BTW, I didn't get my blue glasses either". :D

19. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I just tried to play the THX file from my TPXL to a normal TP and MRS worked great, but i got an error when I tried to xfer the file to the non TPXL.
    That my experience, I will try to xfer the THX file to and older Series 3 I have and see if that works.

20. Quake97

Quake97 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Southeastern PA
    Buying the XL over the regular Premiere depends on how much space you think you're going to need. I bought two regular Premieres because I don't keep stuff on my TiVo very long. Anything I want to keep, I move off to my laptop via TiVo Desktop. As for the THX videos, you can easily buy better calibration blu-rays online. Now, if you think you'll need the HD space, than spend the extra cash versus getting a MyBook DVR Expander.

Joe