1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working *FIX* for all DTIVO Dial In Problems. - DTV shuts down DTIVO setup lines!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by mrbogusbaxter, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1 of 130
    mrbogusbaxter

mrbogusbaxter New Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Here is a WORKING fix for all having a problem dialing in with local access numbers. It is now known for a fact that initial first call access numbers (DTV units only)
    are no longer being answered in the other side. This is leaving a lot of us unable to move forward with recording as the unit needs this initial OK to unlock recording access
    DTV is now moving forward in phasing out ALL PRIOR NON UPGRADEABLE TIVO units from its lineup.

The main call in numbers are now FULLY disconnected. This forces you to call DTV and trade in your receiver. They are starting to offer FREE HD DVR now pending the situation.

WORK AROUND TO CALL IN AND KEEP YOUR TIVO

go to tivo.com
    http://www3.tivo.com/tivo-misc/popfinder.do
    enter your area code and look for your local dial in number.

then upon setup for the first dial in, enter your area code as normal.
    and then ENTER the entire phone number listed from TIVO website 1+AC+Number
    into the CALL PREFIX SECTION. No spaces, or commas.

Adjust Phone Available to ON
    Dial Tone Detection; OFF

This forces DTV to dial the prefix number as a whole prior to
    dialing in the 'no answer' number
    catching on to setup info modem talk , etc, etc...

All will automatically update from there. additional numbers will appear, continue setup as normal.
    It is the ONLY way around unless you open your unit to mod.

Also DO NOTE that if you have originally MOD' your hard drive prior to CLEARING & DELETING
    this dial in fix WILL NOT work or NEGOTIATE with mod settings prior. You will have to reinstall a clean image otherwise all will hang,

HOPE this helps. I tested this on all four of my dtivo units as yes...I got stuck too,

2. Mar 22, 2008 #2 of 130
    rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    Forcing users to upgrade their package to include HD access and increasing fees. It seems like DirecTV could get all sorts of trouble for doing this.

3. Mar 22, 2008 #3 of 130
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    "known for a fact"? Yours is the first post I have seen on this issue. Given that the boxes call TiVo and not DirecTV, I have to wonder about the source of your "fact".

4. Mar 22, 2008 #4 of 130
    magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I believe that they make a call to both.... and it would not suprise me if D* was doing something underhanded.

5. Mar 22, 2008 #5 of 130
    codespy

codespy Go A-Rod (Packers)

Jan 6, 2006
    Packerland, USA
    I believe there is an 800 number for TiVo to get to the area code page and that lists the dial in numbers in your area, which are used for activation.

The only call to DirecTV is an 800 number for PPV purchases.

....but I've been wrong before.

About a year ago I lost a local dial in number. I thought it was DirecTV's action, but it was actually TiVo's action. I had to use another number from farther away.

6. Mar 22, 2008 #6 of 130
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    codespy is correct.
    The units don't contact DTV for any reason besides PPV purchases.

7. Mar 22, 2008 #7 of 130
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    First I've heard of this. I, too, would like to know mrbogusbaxter's source for this "sudden change".

8. Mar 22, 2008 #8 of 130
    patonenow

patonenow New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    CENTRAL...
    I just tried it on all 3 of my R10's series two and they all took the call and said successful. By unupgradeable does the original poster mean series one or before that?

9. Mar 22, 2008 #9 of 130
    Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    It has been stated many times in these forums that the DirecTV boxes phone home once a month, whether or not anyone uses them to order PPV. Is that true? People who use only VOIP should have the call records available to definitively answer that question.

I have 4 active DirecTV boxes. In the many years I've had them I have never ordered PPV. So if the boxes really do phone home once a month, together they have phoned in to report "nope, no PPV" hundreds of times.

And if what I say above is how things really work, then your statement is untrue. The boxes are really phoning in to say "here I am". The PPV thing is just a lame excuse to justify the call.

10. Mar 22, 2008 #10 of 130
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    semantics
    my point was that DTV didn't break the guided setup phone call. TiVo did.

11. Mar 22, 2008 #11 of 130
    shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Ummm...*all* DirecTV receivers call home once a month to report any PPV and whatnot, even if that report is "none".

12. Mar 22, 2008 #12 of 130
    mrbogusbaxter

mrbogusbaxter New Member

Dec 4, 2005
    let me rephrase this; the initial DTV activation phone numbers (not the daily local call numbers) have been shuttered. The reason for this is NOT of any bad blood for tivo, etc, etc....this is strictly to get all remaining customers over to the latest MPEG4 technology ie; recievers ALSO to gain remaining control of any remaining non leased equipment, for as we all know DTV no longer offers ANY purchase of ANY DTV equipment (regarding newer units)

DTV is aiming for a full subscriber shift over to MPEG4 technology, all to be completed by mid 2009. Already DTV are starting to offer select FREE HD DVR's. I have already been offered one in exchange for for my HD DTV TIVO

You can expect a lot more channel changes, HD move arounds and quite a few new 'governed rules and tv regulations' to rear its ugly head about August or so.

Lets just say I heard this from a friends cousin, who's next door neighbor works in the same building as the daughter of the cleaning lady who cleans for the executive director of the.......
    ;)

actually a few inside programming.

one more tad about the dial in...your unit dials in MOSTLY to report and monitor ALL your viewing habits. (and yes PPV, etc)
    BIG BROTHER is and watching all you watch, choose and more. Its called ratings. If you search around on DTV website...you will find a little tiny baby small hidden link that will allow you to OPT out of all monitoring habits. Or as they like to call it Anonymous Viewing Information

13. Mar 22, 2008 #13 of 130
    rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    This is not correct. They are planning to phase out SD DVRs for all new installs during this year. They will still have a SD non-DVR receiver. In 2009/2010 they are planning on phasing out SD non-DVR receivers for all new installs. So they are not going to install any new mpeg-2 based receivers in 2009/2010 time frame but they did not say they are going to replace the ones already in the field.

Only new subscribers in 2009 are going to have mpeg-4 receivers as an option. Current standard definition mpeg-2 subscribers will not have there equipment changed. They can not force old standard definition customers into the HD package without serious consequences.
    The only personal information the DirecTiVo transmits back is your zip code and it can be opted out of. The HR2x on the other hand transmits back it receiver identification number with is tracable back to your personal account.

14. Mar 22, 2008 #14 of 130
    Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    It sends more than just that. Have a look at the logs in /var like svclog or tivoLog.prv (that one's is binary format though), or watch over a serial connection while a daily call occurs. It sends off your TSN, network settings, even the model of the hard drive(s) in your tivo. I just did a "strings" on the tivoLog.prv, and it contains zip code, channel names of channels viewed, and TMSID's. TMSID's are the tivo's way of determining what should be "grouped" together in folders, in other words, season passes. Plenty of "viewing habit" info going to tivo during the daily call. Probably a good bit of info that would need to be deciphered to be "human readable." I think I'll go off to tivo.com and "opt-out" and see if they quit grabbing this log.

15. Mar 22, 2008 #15 of 130
    dcstager

dcstager 1st Gen Tivo Owner

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    I had a call register on mine for several months and my Directtivo dialed a different 800 number once a month for the three months I monitored it. It wasn't the Tivo dial-in number, but it wasn't a consistant number. I'm not sure how they rotate around through different 800 numbers to report PPV, but they do. If you have an online account at DTV you can OptOut of data collection. The system information screen on a zippered dtivo shows a lot more information and shows mine as "opted out".

16. Mar 22, 2008 #16 of 130
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    There is no "initial DTV activation number". All TiVos, DirecTV TiVos and standalones, call a TiVo 800 number for initial activation. DirecTV is not involved with this process.

17. Mar 22, 2008 #17 of 130
    Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    It a common and unsurprising misconception. When doing the initial call on a directivo the tivo does state "Press select to call Directv".

18. Mar 22, 2008 #18 of 130
    HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    So your telling me that if I plug in my old DirecTivo and do a clear and delete, it can't make it through the setup process anymore?

19. Mar 23, 2008 #19 of 130
    shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Not at all. The OP is confused. Tivo over it's history changes numbers from time to time and you'd simply need to get an updated list of dial in numbers via the 800 number in the menus. I think I've had to change my local number at least 5 times on my Tivo units over the past 8 years. This is nothing new despite the "sky is falling" post.

20. Mar 24, 2008 #20 of 130
    HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    He does seem to be correct. I dusted off an old directivo and it reports "service not responding" when it tries to get the first set of dial in numbers. Now I'll call tech support and see if they will really give me that new HR20 for free!