1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

With 2 P4's can I watch while a show is recording?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by MPSAN, Mar 18, 2013.

1. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    I have 3 THD's (TCD652160) and wonder if I had two P4's and they stream, can I watch a show that is being recorded on the other P4? What about the Mini, if a show is being recorded can you watch it from the beginning and skip ahead until it catches up?

My goal is to sell the 3 THD's and get 2 P4's and a MINI...when there is a bundle price!

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yes, I think so. I can DEFINITELY watch on my iPad, with a Tivo Stream, shows that are currently recording. I can even download shows while they're currently recording (but obviously if it catches up to real time, it will then only be downloading in realtime).

AFAIK, the Tivo Streams use the same 'stream' functionality as Premieres do between each other..

So I presume you're trying to just load balance recordings (various tuners in different rooms), and watch anywhere?

3. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Yes, that is what I want to do. Watch anywhere and still be able to watch something even if it has started recording but is not complete.

OH, we used to live off Fair Oaks near 237.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Absolutely yes. Being able to stream while still recording is one of the best reasons to upgrade from series 3 units. Long gone are the days where you have to wait for a recording to finish before you can start watching it somewhere else. I can't imagine having to go back to use MRV which also means duplicate recordings to have to delete on each unit.

5. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    GREAT...not to mention the darn copy bits that Frontier FiOS put on almost all stations!! I had to record on several THD's and delete the "extra" recordings.

OH, can the P4 also delete the show from the one you are streaming from? I sure hope the P4 is now more like the ReplayTV's that we loved!

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Yes, you can delete shows remotely.

7. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Great...now I will wait for a P4/Mini bundle price. Perhaps Mothers or Fathers day!