1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wishlist "not" keywords not working - bug?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by TerpBE, Nov 25, 2012.

1. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    I have a Wishlist that I use to check what guests are coming up on the various late night talk shows, but recently (since the fall update?) it hasn't been giving me any results, when previously it gave me hundreds.

So I decided to try troubleshooting. Initially I created a wishlist just for:

HD:Talk Shows:Comedy

That seemed to work fine, but it gave me a lot of shows that I'm not interested in, so I wanted to weed some out. To remove one of them, I added a Title Keyword "KAMAU" (some host's name), then used a thumb button to change it to "-KAMAU", so it should exclude that show. So now my wishlist is:

-KAMAU * HD:Talk Shows:Comedy

This SHOULD give me all the results I got before, minus any that have "Kamau" in the title. However, as soon as I add this keyword, I get ZERO matches. If I put it in the "Keyword" field instead of the "Title Keyword" field I get the same result.

Has anybody else had any similar problems? Did Tivo break the boolean "not" option for wishlist keywords?
  2. JolDC

JolDC Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Arlington VA
    I tried your steps and get the same results.
  3. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    That's weird, I just reproduced your results.

It looks like the wishlist doesn't work right if it only had negative matches in the keyword or title keyword fields. (everything except the category has a '-' on it)

If there's at least one positive keyword (no modifier or parenthesis) it appears you can stack as many additional negatives as you like. (I've got some movie wishlists with over 20 negatives piled on, but they still work. Find every movie from 2011 except a, b, c, d, etc)

I've never tried a category combined with only a negative keyword before; so I'm not sure if this is newly broken or if TiVo's always mishandled this scenario.
  4. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    As of a couple of months ago, the exact same wishlist worked fine. It seems like the fall update broke it.
  5. vermurle

vermurle New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    I'm a newer TIVO owner and am having this same problem. Has anyone found a solution?
  6. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    I have no idea -- call up Tivo and report the problem.
  7. TiVoSupport_Kaitlyn

TiVoSupport_Kaitlyn TiVo Representative

Oct 15, 2012
    TiVo Customer's,

Thanks to you all for helping us identify this issue early on. Since it's discovery we have been able to create a fix in the coming software release. The software release will be 20.3. You can check your software version using the following menu path: From TiVo Central, select Messages & Settings > Account & System Information > System Information.

We appreciate your time and patience while we worked to resolve this odd and elusive problem.

Kaitlyn and the TiVo Support team.