1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wish list recording sucks!

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by timon0x31, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Mar 3, 2013 #1 of 10
    timon0x31

timon0x31 New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Tustin, CA
    I setup a wish list to record NASCAR so I would not have to worry about what channel it was on. Well come the race today NASCAR did indeed start recording but did it record on Fox at 1080? No, it recorded on the 480i feed:(

I called TS and they said, yep that's how it works, it uses the lowest resolution feed. HOW TOTALLY STUPID!!! What idiot thinks I want to record an low res?

Maybe someone with a brain will realize that this needs to be fixd.

2. Mar 3, 2013 #2 of 10
    jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Or you just eliminate that unwanted channel and not have to worry about it again.

3. Mar 3, 2013 #3 of 10
    etz

etz New Member

Sep 8, 2006
    how about adding "Category: HD" to your wishlist definition? Won't it then only pickup up the HD airings?

Then if you also want to get any SD stuff that does not have an HD equivalent, you could have a second nascar wishlist and put it below your HD wishlist in the season pass manager.

I never did this, so I have no idea if it really works.

4. Mar 3, 2013 #4 of 10
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Wishlists, especially ability to make advanced wishlists is one of the things that sets TiVo apart from anyone else, so I have completely opposite opinion about them than the OP. Just like with anything else you have to learn more about how it works and once you know the rules learn how to deal with it. SD channels are completely removed from my lineup as there is no need for them anymore. My wishlists behave exactly as I expect them to.

5. Mar 4, 2013 #5 of 10
    rahnbo

rahnbo Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Florida
    Same here. Just have to watch for channel creep as in my area they keep sneaking/swapping new or renamed SD channels or renaming them which puts them back in the lineup.

6. Mar 4, 2013 #6 of 10
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    That's not accurate, although it's sometimes the result. The rule is more like, "lowest channel number". Since a lot of cable companies put the SD channels at lower numbers than the HD equivalents, this is what you get.

As others have noted, taking the SD duplicates out of "Channels You Receive" will solve most of this.

I have, and it does. :up:

7. Mar 4, 2013 #7 of 10
    reneg

reneg Member

Jun 19, 2002
    My SD channels are removed.

Here's the Nascar wishlist that I use.

Wishlist Name: Nascar
    Keywords:
    (Sprint Cup)
    (Nationwide)
    (Camping World Truck)
    -Qualifying
    -Practice
    -Testing
    Title Keyword: Nascar Racing

Show Type: First-run Only
    Stop Recording: 1 hour longer

8. Mar 4, 2013 #8 of 10
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Pretty much the ARWL I use for NASCAR, except I exclude trucks. Works great as long as you delete the SD channels, I never have to do anything to get all the Nationwide and Sprint races.
    It will pick up the occasional Thursday repeat of a race on Speed because of listing errors, however, so I just cancel or delete those.

The recommendation is always to delete SD channel equivalents if you use ARWLs, I wouldn't count on the "Category: HD" being always correct personally.

Sure would be nice if people posted questions or searched first before blasting basic features like WLs when they don't work as you think. Lots of drive-bys stop here though.

9. Mar 7, 2013 #9 of 10
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    plus a gazillion, says the guy with 50-60 WLs.:up:

10. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What exact Tivo are you on? IIRC, Premiere 4 prefers the HD channels (which I personally think is bad, since it takes WAAAY more storage.. if I had infinite storage, sure I'd pick the HD channel for everything, but I'd rather have LOTS of recordings to keep for a long time, then watch in batches).