1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Headphones with a Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by aadam101, Dec 27, 2013.

1. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I used to use a pair of Sony wireless headphones with my old Premiere. I had to pull the red and white RCA cables out of the Premiere and plug in the headphones when I wanted to use them. It wasn't the most elegant solution but it worked.

I got a new Roamio for Christmas and I have no place to plug the headphones in. Any suggestions on how I can use wireless headphones?

2. Cryptotech

Cryptotech New Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Pensacola, FL
    The yellow composite jack on the back of the Roamio basic provides composite video AND Left and Right analog audio. An A/V breakout cable is available from tivo for $14.99 or you can make/modify or obtain a breakout from other sources. See this Tivo Mini thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=502081

3. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    My Roamio is connected to the TV via HDMI. I tried the composite jack already and it didn't work. Is this because the audio is coming via the HDMI?

My apologies if these are stupid questions. I am not at all familiar with this.

4. gkottner

gkottner Member

Jun 5, 2010
    West...
    Maybe you've already checked this, but does your TV have analog audio out ports? I've got a 2007ish Hitachi that has them. My Roamio is connected through HDMI and I can listen to my wireless headphones with the output from the analog audio out.

5. Cryptotech

Cryptotech New Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Pensacola, FL
    The composite A/V output should work concurrently with HDMI. The wiring of the jack is non-standard so an off-the-shelf audio cable (only red and white RCA plugs to 3.5mm mini plug) will probably NOT work. If you haven't already, carefully read the thread about the A/V wiring linked in my previous post and again here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=502081

6. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Ah. That makes sense. I will pick up one of those cables.