1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless AND Ethernet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by SoFlaGuy, Nov 7, 2013.

1. SoFlaGuy

SoFlaGuy New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Does anyone know if I can use both Ethernet (for faster transfers to/from other TiVos, guide data, etc.) and wireless (for iOS streaming?)

So far it appears that I have to choose one or the other on my Roamio Plus and can't get both to work at the same time. I really want the best of both worlds, especially once I add my TiVo Mini, which will be on Cat 5 since I don't have coax running to the room where the Mini will be going.

Anyone address this issue yet? Thanks.

SFG

2. bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    The streaming to your iOS devices is already wireless, no?

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Romaio can not act as a wifi access point if that's what you're getting at.

4. SoFlaGuy

SoFlaGuy New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    No, not looking to use it as a bridge, just ethernet for the speed and TiVo Mino and wireless for iOS streaming.

5. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    You don't need wireless for iOS streaming.

-Kevin

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Your iOS device is already connected to your router or access point, and your TiVo is connected to that same router/access point via Ethernet. That's as good as it gets. The only way it could work any better is if you could connect the iOS device directly to the TiVo via wifi and that's not currently possible. (that's what I meant by turning your TiVo into an access point)

7. paulmlemay

paulmlemay New Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Northern...
    Just connect your Tivo to your network with a CAT5 cable to the router.
    That will work great for downloading the guide, streaming netflix etc.

The iPad or Android will connect to the network will connect to the network and stream wirelessly.

It works. I do it every day. Very simple.

8. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Not to be picky - I more or less agree with you Dan, however I'd only say that having the IOS device directly to the Tivo via Wifi would not IMHO be better. It would actually be worse - and I'm not being derogatory to Tivo in this case. The limiting factor in streaming/download between the two will be Wifi no matter what. Any performance hit due to the Tivo having to route via ethernet to the router - which I assume will "usually" be an access point for most people as well as a router/switch - is negligible. To contrast, if you had the IOS device connect directly to the Tivo via Wifi, then other online services that the IOS were to use would either need to route through the Tivo (yuk) or you'd need to manually switch back and forth between WiFi networks. I would not see any redeeming value in that. And let's face it, in ANY network, the Tivo itself tends to be the slowest IP device connected.

9. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    He's bumped a year-old thread. Did the same thing in Happy Hour. :rolleyes: