1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinMFS

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by teasip, Sep 30, 2013.

1. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Tried backup of current 1TB drive using VMWare Fusion and Windows7 as admin, in addition to an external USB drive. Program unable to see drive. I don't find information referencing issues with Win7 Pro. Anyone able to use it successfully? Good news, no cap bulging on my TiVoHD.

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Do you mean running Win7 via VMWare?

What exactly do you mean by "... in addition to an external USB drive." ?

Basically, please provide more detail on what you're doing.

3. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    Probaby due to fusion.

Does windows see the drive, before even running the backup program?

4. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    TiVO drive was placed in a USB connected external double bay drive through VMWare/Windows7. No, the external drive does not show up in Windows7 (My Computer), even though when first connected I select the attach to Windows option as opposed to Mac OS X. I was able to use this same setup in an older VMWare Fusion and Windows XP setup on a Mac. I have a copy of the 1TB drive but it was before the 11.0m software update and the pairing of my cable card.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Windows should not be able to read a Tivo drive, but WinMFS should read it if its run under administrative rights.

6. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    I've found WinMFS to be kinda finicky about recognizing drives at times in a native Windows environment, although my TiVo HD drive was always recognized in Win7/xp with no problems with usb/sata/esata. I have found S1 and S2 drives to be hit or miss with a usb adapter though. :(

7. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Win 7 was logged into as an admin.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    That's not the same as "Run as administrator". If you have a shortcut to WinMFS, right-click on it and select "Run as administrator". Not sure how you do this if launching directly from Windows Explorer -- maybe also a right-click?

Also, disable your AV file checking.

9. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to try it again later.