1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinMFS error when restoring

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by EUner, Feb 25, 2012.

1. EUner

EUner New Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Trying to restore TiVo drive using WinMFS and getting this error:

GUI TOOLS TO BACKUP RESTORE EXPAND FIX TIVO HARD DRIVES HAS STOPPED WORKING.
    A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and will notify you if a solution is available."

TiVo hard drive appeared to be going bad so I'm replacing it. Backed up the old hard drive using WinMFS with no issues. Went to restore the backup to a new drive. Restore ran, progress bar completed, but then I got the error. Trying restoring to a different drive and the same thing. After I get the error once, I will get it if I relaunch WinMFS and try to select the drive I attempted to restore (same error as above).
    Windows 7 (UAC is off and I'm running WinMFS as an Administrator). Using an external USB2 HD case.

Any suggestions?
    The original Tivo drive is from my mom's TiVo HD. She's visiting and I don't have access to a TiVo HD - I have a S3 and a Premier.

2. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    I will PM you with a link to a virgin HD image (from a 160GB drive - hope that is the model you have). Maybe your backup image is defective.

3. motorcycle_rider

motorcycle_rider New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Michigan
    I have gotten that on a few times myself, usually a reboot and reopen of WinMFS resolved it. the only times I have seen it is when I am connected via USB. I do have a image myself also of the HD if you wish to try another.

I took these steps the last time i have seen the error,

Reboot, launch winmfs, restore the kernel, reboot, restore the image. I think, the last time it happened was a long time ago.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Does WinMFS crash as soon as you try to select the original TiVo drive?

5. Squirrel_Nut

Squirrel_Nut New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    I have the same exact problem. The weird thing is it let me make the backups of two different working drives but then when I try to restore from those backups it won't let me and crashes. Things I tried: Turning off the firewall, Turning off the antivirus, Running it off of a Fat32 format flash drive, Running in safe mode (WinMFS and the backups disappeared from my desktop then), changing the jumpers and IDE ribbon positions of the two Quickviews, Deleting them in disk management, Formatting the drive with Fat32 using Maxblast5, deleting programs like SeaTools , DotNet Framework 4 and Maxblast5. I can't for the life of me figure out what it could be. I'm running Win XP Pro SP3 on an Hp xw8400 Workstation Xeon 3 GHz 4GB Ram. One thing I'm wondering about is that it has hardware "Execute Disable Bit" and "Data Execution Prevention" Not sure if they are the same thing or not.:confused: So ya, you are not alone.

6. Squirrel_Nut

Squirrel_Nut New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Just now i tried specifically setting Winmfs to be exempt from Data Execution Prevention and deleting and redownloading Winmfs.
    Nothing helps. I'm open to suggestions. I have a TCD24004A and I was relying on those images in case my Twinbreeze made of two used drives has problems in the future. Stupid me I didn't make the backups with MfsLive because I'm kind of apprehensive of the command line Linux where one character out of place and bad things can happen.
    Well they happened anyway. All I do now is select the drive and Crash.
    I had two good images: 40GB Quickview original drive and a 160GB Quickview I got from Weaknees preformatted.
    Now squat is what I got. I'm not even sure if the images are corrupted or what cause I can't load them to a drive.
    Maybe one of you kind people could give me a .bak image for a TCD24004A 40GB? Please?

7. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    That stinks. Do you have another PC that you could try running the restore on or have you tried a USB hard drive adapter? Failing that, if the image isn't too large maybe you could host it online and one of us could try restoring it on a spare drive just to see if it's a valid backup image.

8. Squirrel_Nut

Squirrel_Nut New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    sbourgeo,
    The 160GB drive has been written over and is now married to a 400GB in my Twinbreeze setup. The truncated image for that is 178MB tbk. The 40GB drive, which used to work, had an error when I was attempting to do something with it in WinMfs and now when installed it just goes grey screen (powering up. . . ) to orange screen (just a few minutes more. . .) to grey screen again. Lather, rinse, repeat loop. That image, which I suspect is hosed like the drive, is 166MB .tbk. I don't have a hosting account anywhere. I just now tried 2 times to use FileDropper.com to upload the 160GB one and it stalled at 11% both times. Thanks in advance for any further suggestions.

9. Squirrel_Nut

Squirrel_Nut New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    The filedropper wants you to link your paypal to it I think Before you upload. Thats confusing because the opening screen sort of says two steps 1 upload file 2 share your personal link. No mention of step 0 agree to pay us $5 in one week with paypal. Is that the one to use or are there other better free ones?

10. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    I would have unitron hook you up with a referral for a free dropbox account. He patrols this forum religiously, but a pm to him couldn't hurt. :D

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What's the LBA number of that 40GB drive?

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If "Execute Disable Bit" and "Data Execution Prevention" are popping up, are you sure you don't have a virus/trojan/worm/whatever problem on the PC?

I don't see where they should interfere with WinMFS running any more than they do with your web browser or any other 3rd party software.

13. Squirrel_Nut

Squirrel_Nut New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Unitron,
    They are not poping up, I am just racking my brain to figure out what it is about me or my computer that the WinMfs doesn't like. I have Avira antivirus and no other issues at all.
    The LBA on this Quickview is 80293248. It is old, from Mfg date of 20sept2003. It passed Seatools SelfTest and Short Generic tests. that's all I ran on them because the Long Generic is well, Long.
    I just tried to use the WinMfs in my old retired PII 700MHz running XP Pro SP2. I was going to try to put the 160GB truncated image onto a spare Maxtor Diamondmax21 320GB drive which I put on primary slave.
    Again, as soon as I selected the drive it crashed just like the guy above.
    I wish when it crashes it would give some helpful hint about what it is having a problem with.
    I am stumped. Thank you guys for helping me.

14. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Unfotunately my 240 image is for an 80GB drive, but if you get a 40GB image that came off of a Maxtor at least it'll fit on that one.

The Maxtors of that era had a slightly higher LBA number than contemporary WDs and Seagates.

I've got a 540 image that'll fit it, but I don't think that'll do you any good except as an experiment.

You could try it to see if it'll restore to the drive without problem, but it won't do you any good in the TiVo.

15. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is it crashing WinMFS as soon as you click select drive and try to choose it, or does the crash happen after clicking mfsinfo?

16. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    This may be a dumb question, but what version of winmfs are you running, 9.3f?

17. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Actually it's a question the "smart people" should have thought to ask. :eek:

18. Squirrel_Nut

Squirrel_Nut New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Yes winmfs_beta9_3f and the thing is, when I was making the backups I was able to select the drives most of the time with no trouble.
    I was able to make the 400GB A drive with MfsCopy but when I tried to marry it to the 160GB drive with Mfsadd it errored and crashed.
    Then the A drive thought it was married and the B drive did not and when installed in the Tivo I got that blue screen that says an external drive is missing or not plugged in blah blah.
    Press select to divorce and lose most of your programs etc. So about this time I was at a dead end with winmfs and so turned to mfslive which in retrospect I should have been using all along.
    So then I had to make a bootable flash drive of that iso and finally that worked and they married and seem to be working now after resolving several issues that it was having.
    Its weird how at first it worked sort-of with a few errors and now it crashes at select a drive before you even ask it to do anything.

19. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So WinMFS is crashing when you click select drive?

Are you intending to restore an image onto the drive which you are trying to select, so that anything now on that drive will be overwritten?

20. Squirrel_Nut

Squirrel_Nut New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Yes. For years now I have had that 40GB original drive in a box behind my sofa because I know what hard drives do. They work for about 3-4 years if you're lucky and then they fail. And on that day you're gonna need a working hard drive to use to troubleshoot or just to use the Tivo until you can get another drive.
    The 320GB Maxtor is just being used to test to see if I can get any image to restore onto any drive at this point. It is not a Quickview or a DB35 (like the 400GB Seagate in the Tivo now). The 320GB Maxtor is blank except it is formatted Fat32 because I thought that was what the WinMfs would like.
    Basically my policy has been to have a spare virgin image on a drive, in a box, where it is safe for (not if) When I will need it.