1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 8 and Tivo Desktop....... does it work, yes or no?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by True Colors, Apr 16, 2013.

1. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    I have read about this matter on this website and others. I have seen conflicting information about this topic.

Tivo.com says "no" it doesn't work.

Other people say "yes" it does.

And some other people say that Windows 8 + Tivo desktop will work... IF you implement the correct tweaks.

So which is it?

Can someone who is actually using both of these things together give us the real scoop?

On a side note.... this is another aspect of my love/hate relationship with Tivo. I mean, they are supposed to be a technology company, right? Windows 8 has been out for what, 5 or 6 months already? But Tivo still cannot make their product compatible?

Thanks for any insights.

TC

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Don't know, and don't care. I absolutely suggest using the community tools developed (pyTivo or kmttg especially) instead and then there is no need to deal with TD or TD+.

Though, I cannot imagine that you could not find some method to force it to work, compatibility mode or some other tweak. What did a search find for you?

But why bother to deal with this with these superior tools available?

3. worachj

worachj Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    I use TiVo Desktop on Windows 8.

I could use TiVo Desktop on Windows 8 until TiVo broke it on February 16th, 2013. They have since created a patch to fix the problem and it can be downloaded from here.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/196#Known

I just applied the above patch today and I’m able to again download shows from my Premiere. The TiVo patched worked.

Side Note:
    On Windows 8 you need to make sure to turn on network discovery. Go to "control panel" then "network and sharing center" and then "advance sharing settings". See below.

[​IMG]

4. AsSeenOnTv

AsSeenOnTv New Member

Apr 17, 2013
    thanks worachj i just upgraded my laptop to win8 and was updating the stuff i lost. i checked network discovery as in your post and i can download from my premiere now

5. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Update......

I got my new computer. It has windows 8 and the Tivo desktop application installed on it.

I have a Tivo Premiere, an old S2 tivo, and my computer all connected wirelessly to my home network.

The S2 Tivo and the Premiere can both see each other, and they can both transfer shows back and forth just fine.

The PC can pull content from the Tivos....... HOWEVER, it does not allow me to transfer content from the PC TO the tivos.

Ideas?

Thanks!

TC

6. worachj

worachj Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Have you installed the patch to Desktop?
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/196/kw/desktop

Have you enabled transfers on TiVo.com?
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/171/kw/desktop

Is the TiVo server running on the PC and showing up in the system tray?
    Check firewall settings.
    Try changing the discovery protocol in TiVo desktop to use Bonjour instead of TiVo Beacon.

Need more information on what you have tried.

7. gayste

gayste Love TiVo!

Feb 27, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Yes, and it also works on the Surface Pro. It's fantastic to watch recorded video on a tablet (with as may pixels as my 46" tv) on the plane.