1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will TiVo Ever Get On Demand?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by theMOESIAH, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Jan 2, 2017 #1 of 46
    theMOESIAH

theMOESIAH New Member

Feb 14, 2016
    I'm a former TiVo user who's looking to come back home. The biggest issue I had was no on demand though. Whatever happened to the next generation cable cards that was being talked about a few years back? If memory serves, they were supposed to support that feature. Does TiVo support them or did the cable companies kill it off?

2. Jan 2, 2017 #2 of 46
    alexb

alexb Active Member TCF Club

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    They support on demand for Comcast / xfinity.

3. Jan 2, 2017 #3 of 46
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    A few ISP's like Comcast have enabled VOD for Tivo's but it is really up to the ISP and frankly some will never do this as it is one of the few pluses they can claim for their overpriced boxes.

4. Jan 2, 2017 #4 of 46
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    What is annoying to me is that customers in other parts of the country who also have Charter, DO have On Demand. Yet, our Charter here doesn't and any time I've mentioned it to a CSR on the phone they make it sound like it's just not gonna happen for cablecards. :(

I just don't get why it should be this way.

5. Jan 2, 2017 #5 of 46
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Comcast and Cox both support video on demand. This is still working in 1-way mode.

Scott

6. Jan 2, 2017 #6 of 46
    theMOESIAH

theMOESIAH New Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Do you which parts of the county gets on demand through Charter?

7. Jan 3, 2017 #7 of 46
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They did a limited trial thing with Charter years ago, but then it fell through. I think that the places they were doing the trial got to keep it, but that's it.

8. Jan 3, 2017 #8 of 46
    Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

Nov 14, 2016
    The technology exists to support on demand for TIVOs. The problems is that the cable operators have an incentive not to deploy the technology and changes to the cable plant to allow on demand on TiVo's. Their DVR service Fee and the cable box rental fees are cash cows for the cable companies.

9. Jan 4, 2017 #9 of 46
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    cox and comcast already have ondemand on tivo so there is incentive

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  10. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Cox and Comcast are the exception. No other Cable companies will allow tivo to have on demand unless they are forced to.

11. tazzmission

tazzmission Member

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    Fios will probably never support it on tivo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    I believe RCN does it, but only for RCN-provided TiVos, IIRC.

13. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Charter, here anyway, only charges a couple of bucks a month for cableCARDs. So, if they programmed in OD and upped the charge a couple more bucks they would double their revenue and still provide the service that they claim is 'included' when you pay for cable. Seems simple enough to me.

We have two cableCARDs and three cable boxes. We're paying plenty and there is no reason we shouldn't be able to have OD on some of our TVs.

14. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Tivo n00b

Aug 31, 2015
    I wish mine did. Really the only thing I miss about going TiVo. But I work my way around it.

15. adessmith

adessmith Member

Oct 4, 2007
    With all the great content available from Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, I've found that my cable company's VOD service doesn't offer anything that I can't get elsewhere.

bradleys and aaronwt like this.
  16. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Yeah, I agree. The major cable cos. had no interest in making TiVo more appealing than its own DVR products. For all the FCC mandates, VOD compatablity should have been mandated, as well. I'm not saying it would have saved the TiVo we once knew, but it would have been good competition and supported the idea of 3rd party products providing choice and compeition to the monopoly known as the cable company, and maybe a better company than Rovi would have bought TiVo.

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That's why I dumped my FiOS STB in 2008. I had rarely used it and most of the content I could get elsewhere. It wasn't worth the $10 a month they were charging. The only way I would even consider using one of their STBs for VOD again would be if the box was free each month. But that is not likely to happen.

18. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's a technology issue. Normal cable boxes communicate with the VOD server using DOCSIS over the cable itself. It's illegal for a CableCARD device like TiVo to contain the hardware needed for this communication. Which means they have two options. The way Comcast does it is they expose thier VOD server to the public internet. The app on the TiVo uses the network connection to communicate with the server but still uses the cable itself to transmit the video. The way COX does it is pure IP. Meaning that the COX VOD app is basically like Netflix and streams the video directly over your network connection. Both methods require special deals between TiVo and the provider so that they can supply an app to TiVo and TiVo can filter the app based on region/package.

tim1724 likes this.
  19. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Oh wow! That is pretty much over my head, but thanks for the info. Why can't those idiots at Charter just tell people that so that we don't keep wondering why they won't just program it. /rhetorical

The funny thing was that when I had my Series 2 Tivos (they still used cable boxes), I only started checking out On Demand toward the end of their usefulness. When I upgraded to Premieres I never imagined that the change (from cable box to cableCARD) would remove OD.

One time, when I wanted to catch several episode of a show I had missed, I brought the cable box from my kitchen tv in to the living room and hooked it up so I could do that on a larger tv. The way my things are set up it was a major PITA, but at least it's an option if I REALLY want to find something on OD.

20. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Tivo n00b

Aug 31, 2015
    My Cable Co (Mediacom) actually has TiVo DVR's. My understanding is that their TIvo's work with VOD and such. But not mine. How does that work then?