1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the Roamio pro remote turn off a yamaha amp and tv

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by caddyroger, Jun 16, 2014.

1. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I have a Yamaha receiver and a sony tv. Can I use the tivo remote to turn on and off a Yamaha receiver and tv? I would like it to control the sound with receiver.

2. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
  3. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
  4. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    If you figure it out let me know. I haven't been able to.

5. worachj

worachj Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Yes you can set up your TiVo remote to control your TV and stereo receiver. You need to find the remote codes for your TV and stereo receiver under TiVo's remote setup screens.

Go to the remote setup section under settings.
    a) Perform Part 1 to set up control for your TV.
    b) Perform Part 2 to set up volume control for your receiver. (Remember the receiver code you just used)
    c) Now perform Part 1 again but this time use the code for your receiver that you used in Part 2. It will now set up the on/off power for your stereo receiver.

Your TiVo remote will now toggle on/off of both your TV and stereo receiver at the same time and control the volume & mute for your stereo receiver.

6. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thank You, so much for this, it actually does work,

This also worked on my standard peanut remote.

7. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I finally got to it to work. I used the wrong code for the receiver.

8. tonestert

tonestert Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Charlottesvi...
    Old thread but thanks worachj ! That worked for me.

9. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    I have one TV where I use the remote to turn off the TV and the AV and another one just the TV. If you don't have the two very close to each other, you can end up turning one off without the other that puts in this weird out-of-sync state where you press the button again, you turn one on and the other one off. Then you have to go get the TV or AV remote and hit the power to get them back in sync.

10. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    That the only thing bad about the remote If one does not turn you have to have other remote so you can sync it back. I keep my harmony one close by. I like Tivo remote key feel better then the Harmony one.

11. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    A skilled remote control operator can get them back in sync without having to get off the couch. :D

12. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Yeah, I've done it. I doubt the other people in my house would be as adept at it.

13. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Ok tell me how to do it?

14. KimHedrick

KimHedrick Member

Oct 12, 2014
    North...
    Just followed these instructions and got it to work. My TV and AVR sensors are about 6 or 7 feet apart so I can't get them both in one button push but I can easily aim at each one and click to turn them each off without affecting the other. Thanks for the tip!

15. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    That will work for you but for my tv and av sensors are 12 in apart.

16. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Tough to explain, but aim "more" towards the device you want to turn off/on. Push the power button on the TiVo remote quickly and then quickly aim it away from your devices.

This technique usually works for me when 1 is off and 1 is on. My TV and AVR are very close to one another.

17. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Yeah, for the one I'm trying to switch, I'll aim it to it's outer range which would be farther away from the other one I'm not trying to switch. Hopefully it will do the closer one and not the other. It is a little bit tricky and I prefer to not have this situation possible on the main TV that everybody in the house uses.

I have the one in the basement with my Mini set to do both TV and AV power. That's the setup that I'm usually the only one using. Both the TV and AV are about 18" from each other. I typically have good luck turning both on/off at the same time since I kinda aim in the middle and hold down the power button for about a second.

18. A2JetGuy

A2JetGuy Member

Jan 23, 2013
    If you cannot get the remote code to work, try this...

There may be more than one remote code that works for your receiver in Part-2. In my case, I found that codes 1028, 1038 and 1204 all worked to control A/V volume and mute in Part-2, however, only code 1204 worked in Part-1 to turn my Yamaha receiever on/off.

19. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I got it to turn the tv and av receiver on and on off ok. But every so often it will just turn one on. That is when I have to get my harmony remoter that I can control each one separably.

20. GranBob

GranBob New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    For my new Yamaha RX-V779BL AV Receiver:
    After hours of trial and error, I found that using one Yamaha code for AV Receiver Volume/Mute: 1028, then another code for power on/off: 1204 (same as noted by Caddy. It would be nice if TiVo published known codes for major AV appliances.