1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the Android mobile app ever stop sucking for those actually mobile?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by sinanju, Jan 15, 2017.

1. sinanju

sinanju Member

Jan 3, 2005
    My experience with downloading via the mobile app is:

1. Within the home, mediocre at best. Trying to load up my device before a trip is fraught with failures. Of course, one has to manually restart failed downloads because reasons.
    2. When actually traveling, it is universally bad. I'm sitting in France right now and able to transfer absolutely nothing. However, I see exactly the same thing when in the US and close to home. I can stream CNN. I can transfer videos from Amazon Prime without issue. I can even VPN into my home network and download recordings directly to my laptop. But, absolutely nothing will transfer using the TiVo app at any video quality setting. Things fail after a few seconds with a 56:7 error.
    This level of uselessness is the only consistent thing about the app since it was first released. If you're actually mobile, the mobile app worthless. It can't be blamed on my network, either... as I said, I have no trouble connecting back to the US with other services and my home network is FiOS with 35 Mbps of otherwise unutilized bandwidth, right now.

I've talked to support in the past and the first suggestion, of course, is to reboot the TiVo... which is fine if you're not actually mobile with the mobile app... you can't "reboot the streaming device" when it's a Roamio Pro.

It's a bad app, and TiVo should feel very badly about it.

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    How is your TiVo connected to your network?

3. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I tend to agree with the OP. I don't use it a lot, but when I do, for example to d/l a show to watch on a plane, it works maybe 50% of the time. The rest of the time, it just peters out, and ends up aborting the d/l. Not unusual to have to retry 2-3 times before it works.

And watching remotely is for the brave (or foolish). Starts & stops, stutters, aborts. WELL OVER half the time I start it, it fails ("App closed" or some such nonsense), and one has to restart. It pixilates and buffers, even on a rock solid connection.

My TiVos are all 100% ethernet hard-wired, to a strong Comcast cable connection. Tablet is a stock Samsung 10.1. All good equipment, with good connections.

It's a terrible app. It's never worked well, and never been improved.

4. sinanju

sinanju Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Cat 5e into a RT-66U router

5. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Coincidental timing... yesterday I decide to watch a show on my phone. While I'm sitting on the couch, in front of the TiVo! (Wife wanted to watch some garbage, I thought I'd watch Jeopardy on my phone)

Open the TiVo app, first thing it tells me is it discovered a streaming device, should it setup? I just used it a month or so ago, but sure, go ahead and setup all over again like it's the first time.

Setup goes smoothly, then I open the antenna Roamio (I have three active TiVos). Click on Jeopardy, choose "watch on device". It whirls & swirls for a few seconds, then returns with an error message.

This happens 90% of the time. I love my TiVos (although less all the time), but their app sucks big time.

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Standalone or built-in Stream? If the latter, are the recordings on the same TiVo?

7. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Built-in, same TiVo