1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Stream work over ac wireless bridge?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by mvnuenen, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Dec 9, 2012 #1 of 17
    mvnuenen

mvnuenen ~0.0~

Jun 1, 2007
    Durham, NC
    I have two Netgear's ac routers (one configured as a bridge). This gives me wireless speeds allowing streaming of bluray movies and seems on par with MoCA. I plan to connect the Stream to my primary router but my Tivo is wired to my bridge.
    Will this work?

2. Dec 9, 2012 #2 of 17
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Maybe, but TiVo only officially supports MoCa or Ethernet so if it doesn't they wont help if it doesn't.

If you're going to do it that way you should hook the Stream to the same leg of the network as the TiVo. That way TiVo to Stream is wired and the only part going over wifi is the compressed H.264 stream.

Dan

3. magnox

magnox New Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Makes no difference as the bridge presents ethernet to the stream.

4. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Well, it makes a difference because if the connection is flaky, it won't work reliably.

It's REALLY annoying, but BOTH the Tivo and the Stream need to be able to connect to the Internet (to contact Tivo) while you're downloading/streaming a show. Seems completely unnecessary, since both are already registered to your account, and for example, I could download with kmttg without the Tivo seeing the internet.

I use a bridge (and admittedly, my connection is flakier than I previously thought it was) to connect upstairs (with the Tivo & Stream) to downstairs Internet.

5. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    You really should investigate going to a moca connection. Its as reliable as a wired ethernet connection (in this application) and faster than the tivo can move data.

6. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    AFAIK, the Moca adapters aren't dirt cheap anymore, so it would be a bunch of money.. Plus, I already need an amplifier upstairs, so I'm not sure if the Moca would still work as well (presumably it would be before the amplifier, but if I need to amplify my signal to get stable signal, maybe the moca frequencies would have the same issue?)

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TiVo has MoCa adapaters for $50...
    https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessories-networking.do

Also I use two seperate amplifiers to get a good TV signal in my house, and MoCa still works fine. A bad TV signal is usually caused by a low signal level coming into the house. That has no effect on MoCa because the MocA adapater generate their own signal.

Dan

8. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    The actiontec moca adaptors are available from amazon as well for under $100 for a two pack and free shipping.

They just work. No setup.

9. compnurd

compnurd Active Member

Oct 6, 2011
    You may be ok with AC, but the connection quality will be the biggest question. AC is much faster then N so the speed will be there

10. herbman

herbman Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Where? I see nothing that inexpensive.

11. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Ok so they are 120 this morning. Amazon prices change. Use camelcamelcamel to track if you like. They were 96 last week when I bought some. Tivo also sells them for 50 each.

12. ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You can also get actiontec fios routers from craigslist or ebay too. You can see the instructions here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15984

13. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
  14. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I ordered one from TiVo back in May-12 for $79.99 and ordered another one on Sept-12 for $49.99.

15. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Hm, interesting. Either I missed this or forgot. I have an old FiOS Actiontec router I need to hack into bridge mode to get a few more Ethernet jacks near my downstairs coax drop. But 50 bucks seems pretty reasonable - could find a use for that. Especially since it looks to have coax pass-thru, unlike my Actiontec.

16. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Yep. It works great in my FiOS set-up providing both Coax and Ethernet to my 2-tuner Premiere and Ethernet to my Roku. I did have to add an Ethernet switch since it only has one Ethernet output.

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Like a week after I paid $75 for one from Amazon.

Dan