1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will my HDVR2 receivers still work if I upgrade to HD?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by DDROW, Nov 25, 2012.

1. DDROW

DDROW New Member

May 28, 2008
    I am a Directv customer thinking about upgrading to HD but I also have 5 owned HDVR2s that I do not have to pay any extra fees for. My receiver in the living room is an older R16 (I believe) and I pay a leased fee for it. My question is if I upgrade to HD will my HDVR2s still work for SD. I know they have to install a new dish and I have had 2 different answers from different DTV reps. I would like to go to HD but I don't want to incur any additional costs other than HD programing fee and I want to keep my other receivers active. I realize I will only get HD on my main HD receiver if I upgrade.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Yes, they'll still work, but the installer might not want to set them up to keep working. Here's the problem ....

An HD upgrade means you'll get a Single Wire Multiswitch dish. Those old Tivos are not compatible with the SWM technology. You *could* get a regular non-SWM dish with a SWM16 switch, and use the SWM16's four "legacy outputs" to feed a Zinwell WB616 multiswitch (or whatever multiswitch you used with those 5 HDVR2's). But this is not a standard installation and I doubt the installer will have that equipment, so you would need to do it yourself.

Also, note that activating those old Tivos will still incur a $6/mo "Receiver Fee", regardless of whether or not you own them.