1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I lose all My Book AV Expander Tivo HD Shows moving to Romio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jmonk, Dec 27, 2013.

1. jmonk

jmonk New Member

Dec 27, 2013
    I have a Tivo HD and I'm considering upgrading to a basic Roamio (I have an HD antenna so I don't have another option). However, although I believe that my 1TB My Book AV DVR Expander is apparently supported does anyone know (or have experience) whether I'll lose all my recordings when I make the switch?

2. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    You can't move an expander from one Tivo to another and keep the recordings, they're wedded to the original unit.
    You'll need to copy them from the old Tivo to the new, THEN move the expander which will be reformatted for the Roamio.

You would be better off just replacing the Roamio Basic HD with a 3TB before putting it in to service, easier and more reliable than an Expander.

3. jmonk

jmonk New Member

Dec 27, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback... A bit more information and some questions???

The idea of swapping out the hard drive is a good one, but the expander is paid for and I'll be getting a TIVO stream as well (a drawback to the HD antenna, but no cable with a huge monthly bill). I figure if the expander goes eventually, I will upgrade the Roamio hard drive at that time.

Now the questions...

1. How do I determine which of my recordings are on the extender and which are on the HD drive?
    2. Once I identify which ones, how can I move them to the Roamio?
    3. Is there anyway to just watch the shows on the old TIVO and extender and start fresh with the roamio without getting another contract?

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can copy all the recordings to the computer and then send it to the new box, but to copy from Tivo to Tivo, you would need both subscribed to Tivo Service.

The recordings are stored on both drives at the same time, parts on 1 and other parts on the other. Removing the Expandr will delete them and there is no way to tell which is on what drive.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    What I would suggest, if you have enough storage on the computer...
    Transfer all the shows you want to keep to the computer.
    Get the Roamio and go through guided setup to get everything configured as to be ready for use.
    Take original hard drive out and put it on the shelf (emergency backup).
    Install 3TB drive and go through setup again.
    Transfer shows back from computer to new Roamio.
    Repurpose Tivo expander drive for extra storage on the computer.

From the stories I've read here, there is no way I would want an expander drive connected to the Tivo. If it ever fails, *poof*, your recordings are gone.

6. dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I am looking to do the same thing but because I have Time Warner Cable most, if not all, of my shows are copy-protected. I assume I am out of luck since I don't think those shows can be moved to a computer. If they were able to be I would go out and get a new Roamio today!!

7. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Unfortunately your assumption is correct, you're out of luck with TWC.

8. jmonk

jmonk New Member

Dec 27, 2013
    Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions! I think I've got what I need to move forward with my upgrade.

9. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    Just to confirm, you can watch the shows you have already recorded forever without a sub.

10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you do not have a lifetime sub on that HD (I'm assuming a TCD652160, although with the confusion TiVo themselves introduced into the naming conventions you may mean a TCD648250 instead), then leverage any purchase of a new TiVo into $99 lifetime on the S3.

Do not let them tell you "no", they've done it for too many others.

You may have to keep calling until you get a CSR who will co-operate, but make them understand no purchase of new TiVo without the deal, and that without the deal you're going to quit montly payments on the S3.

Then you can watch what's on the S3 at your convenience, and you'll have given it some resale value.