1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Comcast DTA "blaster" work with Series 2?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by buscuitboy, Jan 23, 2013.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I might be getting a TiVo Series 2 DT from a friend. I had one in the past (but sold it) and it controlled a Comcast DTA box with the connected TiVo IR blaster. All worked good. If I get this Series 2 from the friend, it might not have the IR blaster. If so, I was wondering if I could use the IR blaster that was included with the Comcast DTA box.

It looks similar and has the same 3.5mm jack at the end. The only thing I am thinking about the Comcast DTA blaster is it seems like its an "input" (receiver) device in that it accepts a remote signal to change the channel on the DTA box. This way, you can possibly hide the DTA if needed. The TiVo blaster seems like an "output" (transmitter) only device in that it basically sends a signal to an external box based on what is coming from the TiVo.

Is this about right and the way each work? In which case, will the included Comcast IR device not work with TiVo S2 as its "blaster"?

2. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Not sure on the DTA working just like the Tivo IR Blaster, but another option would be to spend $10-$15 and buy a specially made cable off ebay that connects IR jack to IR jack without the need for the actual IR blaster in front of the sensor.

Another forum member designed one such cable. See here.

There's at least one other seller on ebay besides the above forum member too.

3. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The Comcast DTA IR cable won't work.

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    What is normally included with a DTA is not an IR blaster(transmitter) but an IR receiver extension.