1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will a WD20EURS work as an external drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by tivaulo, Apr 12, 2012.

1. tivaulo

tivaulo New Member

Apr 24, 2008
    I read someone saying that he put the a WDxxEARS drive on a regular external case and Premiere recognized it. But I have a feeling that he was talking about a 1TB not a 2TB drive.

Will a 2TB work the same way?

If so what would be the main disadvantage of using it externally vs replacing the internal 320GB?
  2. logicman

logicman New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    AFAIK the HD S3 was the only TiVo unit that worked with pretty much any DIY external drive.
  3. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    There are tons of threads on this. Just put it inside.

less drives to fail
    backup is as easy as putting in your old drive

Warranty concerns (but many just put the old drive back without issue)
    takes a little bit of effort (but if I can do it, anyone can)
  4. tivaulo

tivaulo New Member

Apr 24, 2008
    Thanks logicman. I did a search on my history and while I couldn't find the post again, it seems like it came from the HD thread. I just got them confused.

So, I might as well do like jrtroo and my wife suggest, "just put it inside!" :D
  5. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    I've never used anything but WD AV-GP drives in 5 units I have upgraded so it should be fine. In fact it's probably the best fit but I have always used them internally. Why would anyone want what is essentially 2 power cords, two elec outlets occupied and 2 power supplies running? Seems silly to me! More space, more heat, More electricity, more clutter.. No thanks. All you really need is an internal drive upgrade but you have to "bake it" so to speak. But even that can be found here for free.