1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will a mini work good across several network switches?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by mcf57, Jan 26, 2014.

1. mcf57

mcf57 New Member

Oct 19, 2012
    I am looking to get a mini for my system. All of my network is hard wired via Ethernet. Everything works good with my series 3 and premiere TiVos. Certain locations I am thinking of putting the mini would basically require about 3 or 4 hops through various 10/100 mbs network switches in order to get the live TV tuner from a 4-tuner Premiere.

Will the mini be able to get the live tuner easily through the various network switches. Or could there be some complications. If so, what? I thought about maybe givng the 4-tuner premiere a fixed/static IP address to possibly help this situation. Or will this not matter?

Any thoughts or insight?
  2. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    I doubt this would be an issue, you are only adding a few or a few hundred microseconds delay per hop, if that.

I have a Mini traversing three Ethernet switches to a Roamio, never an issue.
  3. eric102

eric102 Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Same here, no issues through 3 switches. One at the Mini, one in the AV closet and one at the Roamio.
  4. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    Two switches to the router in one location - no problems.
  5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    One of my Minis goes through six switches to reach my Roamio Pro. The performance is the same as when I had a Mini attached to the same switch as my Roamio Pro.
  6. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Static versus dynamic IP will have no impact. If the switches cause a problem then you'll have to restructure your network or look at replacing switches.
  7. anthonymoody

anthonymoody New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    I actually just faced this yesterday after getting a mini to go with my Roamio Plus.

Here is my hardware/network set up:

-cable modem -> Apple AirPort Extreme -> hard wired to location A -> switch -> Roamio
    -cable modem -> Apple AirPort Extreme -> hard wired to location B -> switch -> Mini

At first, the mini would simply not "see" the Roamio. I called support and they said something about the devices needing to be in the same subnet. That was Greek to me so I did the following: removed the switch at location B and connected the mini directly to the wall jack (hard wired to the AirPort Extreme).

Once done, the mini saw the Roamio and I was able to complete the set up without issue. I then re-inserted the switch into the chain at location B and the mini continues to work - live tv, recorded shows, netflix, etc.

It remains to be seen what would happen if I lost power and one or more devices were reset. But for now things work fine. Strange that the additional switch initially blocked the connection between the devices though...