1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will a lifetime Mini work in another home?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by mr_smits, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Dec 2, 2013 #1 of 31
    mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    A friend wants to test out the Mini in their home. They have a 4 tuner Premiere with lifetime. Will my lifetime Mini work if I take it to their home to test out, or is it a waste of time and energy?

2. Dec 2, 2013 #2 of 31
    CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Waste.

The Mini and its host have to be on the same account with same MAK.

3. Dec 2, 2013 #3 of 31
    mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Thanks for the info. Seems like an odd way to lock everything down, but maybe Tivo has big plans we don't yet know about.

4. Dec 2, 2013 #4 of 31
    jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Its no different than how transfers/streaming works- they must be on the same account.

5. Dec 2, 2013 #5 of 31
    dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Streaming between devices has always required they be on the same MAK, with the Mini having no storage and requiring a subscription why wouldn't they handle it just like a regular unit?

6. Dec 2, 2013 #6 of 31
    mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009

I don't understand the need to lock it down in this way. Just because that's how they've always done it isn't an actual reason. It's a default.

7. Dec 2, 2013 #7 of 31
    NYHeel

NYHeel Active Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Sure. You'll just need to transfer the Mini to your friend's account and then back to your account afterwards. So it can work but it's probably not worth the effort to make those 2 phone calls.

8. Dec 2, 2013 #8 of 31
    NYHeel

NYHeel Active Member

Oct 7, 2003
    They've done it that way because they need to. They can't have people transferring shows from one account to another as that violates copyright restrictions. Transfers all have to be in the same account so as to stay straight with the fair use requirements.

9. Dec 3, 2013 #9 of 31
    mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Are you saying that (theoretically) if a Mini wasn't tied to a specific account, that it could stream shows from across the internet to another person's host Tivo??

This seems silly. A Mini doesn't work without a local 4 tuner host, unless some magical feature has yet to be revealed by Tivo HQ. Taking a hard drive less mini to any location would only stream from a local 4 tuner host to the Mini. It couldn't violate any copyright restrictions since, again, it isn't sharing anything not already present on the local 4 tuner host system.

What am I missing here?

10. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Yeah, I'm not going through that much effort.

11. CrispyCritter

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    With VPN's, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network, how does TiVo guarantee that the 4-tuner host is really local? It could allow sharing of HBO across the internet, for example.

12. noah82

noah82 Cox San Diego

Aug 1, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    The Tivo host device and the Mini need to be on the same subnet as well.

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Mini may not need to be locked down like this, but TiVo's entire DRM scheme is based around this design so it's to be expected. The Stream has the same requirement.

14. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    As someone else pointed out, TiVo also requires that the devices be on the same IP subnet, which with most VPN setups won't be the default (and it requires some knowledge to fake it out so it looks like it's on the same subnet at the remote end of the VPN).

Additionally, most VPNs that you would set up to accomplish what you are describing would not be capable of the 20-40 megabit per second data rates that the Mini needs to stream shows directly from a host TiVo.

For those tiny # of people that can get around both of these problems, TiVo and the broadcasters surely don't give a crap.

15. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Most HD channels max out around 15Mbps, and never exceed 20Mbps, but that's still more upstream bandwidth then most people have.

Although there is a guy on this forum who has this working with his FIOS connection. He setup the Mini at his girlfriends house so they can watch things on his TiVo when they're at his house. So it's apparently possible.

16. CrispyCritter

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    That seems extremely unlikely.

The cable companies do not like TiVo, and if TiVo was responsible for theft of service (illegal access to HBO, for example) from the cable companies, they would come down hard on TiVo.

If a work-around to get HBO is figured out, I would expect it get to get publicized and made into scripts. Security through obscurity is not feasible any more, and I'm surprised people are suggesting counting on it.

17. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    People already use VPN into US addresses to get content not available in their region. That's a bigger issue than the tiny # of people who use a very large VPN connection to extend their TiVo network into another household.

18. CrispyCritter

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Sure, right now there's no incentive for most folks to extend their TiVo network. But if you remove MAK requirements, then you make VPN's profitable for those who want to pirate cable signals.

I don't see why you think TiVo should end it's anti-piracy MAK requirements and risk getting cable companies upset.

19. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Now you are putting words in my mouth. I never advocated for anything of the sort. I pointed out that TiVo and content companies have enough on their plate without worrying about the handful of people who can use a VPN to put a mini at a 2nd location.

20. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    What about SlingPlayer / sling box will play say HBO to any other home, is that not theft of service ??